Lemon Chicken recipe by Giuliano Bugialli, wow.

farmerman

Thu 22 Nov, 2007 11:42 am
A bit of memory of cav Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 22 Nov, 2007 04:33 pm
"Sustainable chicken"??? what the hell is that?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 22 Nov, 2007 06:06 pm
I don't remember, Farmer... (how soon we forget).
0 Replies

Sglass

Thu 22 Nov, 2007 06:11 pm
Ya know Osso that lemon chicken thang sounds "pisser" as they say in Boston and I am going to try it out and let you know what I think about itl.

Thanks for the seaglass. I can use all I can get.

Happy turkey day/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 22 Nov, 2007 09:24 pm
You're welcome, Seaglass! I thought the tiles were really pretty.

On the recipe, it always works for me. (And any connection I have to Julia Child would be that we both have dropped things in the kitchen...). Today's turkey was a variation of that "butterflied" technique - it worked really well, damn tootin'.
0 Replies

lmur

Tue 1 Jan, 2008 02:10 pm
OK, I tried the lemon chicken recipe as per page one of this thread and it is just mmwah.

Thanks Osso.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 1 Jan, 2008 02:18 pm
Oh, good! That warms the cockles of my heart!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 1 Jan, 2008 02:32 pm
One of the things I miss here in ABQ - except that they may have them sometimes in Whole Foods but I never get over there - are Meyer Lemons. I think I did used them once on the recipe, and liked it with them too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 01:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, I just ran across a photo of that terracotta dish I bought in Italy and gave away - sigh. Not to complain, I got others, not the same style, for myself.

The company is Italica Ars, the store in Firenze is Dino Bartolini; the dishes weren't expensive, but of course there was the matter of taxes and shipping, which they took care of, everything arriving safely. Very sturdy ceramics, which I think of as "workaday" as opposed to the really thick ceramica I saw in Faenza.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/ceramicdishes172.jpg?t=1290281814
It's the one with the lid...
Mame

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 02:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Very lovely. Really. And your chicken dish sounds like something I make. I love chicken and lemon together - add a little EVOO and oregano or dill and you've got a Greek dish - yummy.

I often cook my rice in lemon juice and chicken broth; it's also good for quinoa.
ossobuco

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 03:02 pm
@Mame,
I made my turkey this way one year - they call it spatchcocked.. very juicy, yet well cooked, nice brown skin.
http://thebittenword.typepad.com/thebittenword/2009/11/thanksgiving-2009-roast-spatchcocked-turkey.html

'course, a turkey butterflied wouldn't fit in that ceramic dish..
Mame

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 03:04 pm
@ossobuco,
I do that all the time with chickens on the bbq - butterflied - I don't remove the spine - just lay it flat. I butterfly it, throw it in a big Ziploc and marinate it in there overnight - really good!
ossobuco

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 03:10 pm
@Mame,
Easier to lay out a turkey sans backbone, I gather. Haven't done the backboning myself. Picturing a kitchen turkey wrassle..
Mame

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 03:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Me too, which is why I leave it in. If you butterfly it and then smack the backbone with something hard or bend the legs towards the skin side of the bird, it'll crack and stay flat. To take the spine out you'd need awfully sharp tools.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 05:07 pm
@Mame,
We do this and we lay a brick covered in aluminum foil on top of the butterfly chicken. Does a nice job.
Mame

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 05:08 pm
@farmerman,
So does Martha Stewart Smile only she doesn't wrap hers, quite surprisingly. Hey, you could make a tv show, FM.
farmerman

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 05:12 pm
@Mame,
Always we should wrap our bricks in ALuminum foil. Its a Good Thing. Bricks can concentrate chromium from the kiln . I dont need more heavy metal in my diet, anyway, Id rather take Aluminum than chrome 6

ossobuco

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 05:31 pm
Wellllll. With chicken, I think I clipped the breastbone the first time, no big deal, leaving the backbone in (I'd have to read back and you know how hard that is when I'm busy talking..) - easy enough to butterfly. But chickens in my house are rarely above 4 pounds and people spatchcock turkeys at much higher weights, thinking even eighteen pounds. The container - if it's going in the oven - being the main problem re big enough to hold a butterflied large/heavy bird. Get the butcher or the person with a good knife and steady turkey holding ability to remove the backbone, and then clipping the breastbone (i.e., flattening the splayed bird) is easy enough. When I did it with a butcher de-backboned turkey, and went to put the not yet quite flat bird down in the roasting pan, I just muscled it down... (didn't occur to me to clip the breast plate).
0 Replies

Mame

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 05:39 pm
@farmerman,
Me, too, take aluminum, but Martha probably wraps hers and puts a bow on it.

Osso - I always, always, always bbq butterflied chicken, never bake it. 45 - 60 minutes, moist and delish.
Swimpy

Sat 20 Nov, 2010 06:31 pm
Julia Child also removes the wishbone. I guess I should say removed.
0 Replies