Describe Your Dream House

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 06:19 am
Let's pretend money is no object and build the home of our dreams.

In my case I would have as many windows as possible. The kitchen would be the central room of the house able to hold a large family dinner in. I would want a cozy bedroom upstairs and a walk in attic with sky lights for an art studio.

Loving people I would want my house to be warm and friendly, a nest where my friends could come and relax and enjoy. And I would like a huge front porch with a swing and room enough to have tea in the afternoon.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 55,705 • Replies: 11
No top replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 08:40 am
My house would have a library, with my broadband connection, the best of worlds! Connection to a2k and my books!

I'm pretty sure it would have some beams under the roof, just for the cats! They love the beams we have in our appartment! Windows are also a nice cat-feature, our beasts are indoor-cats, so they like to watch what's going on.

I'd have an almost industrial-size kitchen, at least there would be a lot of appliances that I like. And the dining-area would be in the kitchen, which would be big, but cozy. Not forgetting the winecellar in direct connection.

Don't need a livingroom if you have big kitchen! Most of the time I'm private anyway... Have enough people around me in the restaurant.

Outdoor kitchen is also a must, a.k.a. Bar-B-Q! Small patio, not much garden( I despise gardenchores), perhaps a pool....
0 Replies

ferrous

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:09 pm
Watercloset
I can't imagine why western culture (esp. American), has regulated the bathroom to a closet size room.

In my dreamhouse, the bathroom would be one of the main focal points in the house. Spacious, well lit with windows and seating. The bathtub would be the central point, separate shower stall and private privy. A large well lit counter-sink area, plenty of linen storage area, and radiant heat to keep that tile floor warm. A truly devine area for relaxing or close intimate times.

I save the kitchen, for another reply.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:25 pm
That sounds wonderful ferrous and Japanese. In Japan the toilet area and the bath area are separate and one takes a shower before getting into the bath. But of course a traditional Japanese bathroom is not quite so spacious as you describe but contains the same recipe for rest and relaxation.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:31 pm
a tradition southwest hacineda 2ft thick adobe walls center courtyard all rooms opening onto the courtyard, sculped kiva fireplaces in each room salito tile floors with area rugs and cushions.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:49 pm
Has any one ever been to the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha, NE?

LIED JUNGLE

Just put a few home amenities I'm there.
Remember to look at the pictures.
0 Replies

ferrous

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 11:35 am
House in the Process of Becoming A Home.
This isn't really a concept of the kitchen, in my "Dreamhouse," but more like a dream of a kitchen in my real house. This will be the next large project, in a series of attempts to make this present house, more like a home.

http://www.geocities.com/ferrousvir/kitchen4.jpg
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 12:09 pm
A house mostly of glass with an open courtyard. I enjoy light and plants. A view of the horizon line from the property.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 03:43 am
y'all sure 'bout that glasshouse? who's gonna clean all that glass? lol jes kidding, I also need big windows, I love looking out. wait a sec, make those windows reflective, pls!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 05:52 am
BD y'all are geting into the language part for the trip to Florida, great. And you know what they say about people who live in glass houses.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 05:58 am
Yup, you shouldn't run around nekkid in your livingroom.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 06:06 am
My design begins with the overall structure. A pavilian style roof and thick construction, with large windows, designed to be warm in winter, cool in summer without A/C. Built to minimize need for upkeep, just in case I get old and can't keep an eye on the contractors. The rooms are large, with huge closets, built in book cases, skylights, enormous shower, spacious kitchen with lots and lots of counters and room storage. The bedroom is situated so that lots of light is possible, but during the night a total blackout is possible. A huge living room with extra high ceiling and high windows allowing one to see the sky at all times.
0 Replies