Water Tanks

Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 09:18 am
Driving this morning, I noticed a water tank in the distance up on a hill. I then realized it seems that most of these water tanks are on the tops of hills. Knowing we have such intelligent and insightful people here on A2K, I figured one of you may know, why the devil, are these water tanks almost always on top of hills? Just wondering.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 851 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 09:20 am
something to do with gravity and getting the water to your tap under pressure.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 09:33 am
Water tanks and water towers don't generally act as storage devices, per se. They are pressure accumulators. Big, industrial pumps are either on or off. The elevation of the tower determines the pressure, the pump does not. The level of water drops to a preset level and a switch, either float operated or pressure sensitive turns the pump on. When the tank is nearly full, the pump is turned off. The water pressure at the faucet remains essentially constant.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 09:48 am
and each ten meters, the pressure highens by 1 bar
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 10:42 am
the manhattan skyline is littered with these roof-mounted units

http://212.227.183.218/bino/images/archi/watertanks1_400.jpg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 01:14 pm
Thanks, I knew there would be a slew of information here. I always thought these were more storage devices. You learn something new every day.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 07:49 pm
No snickering kids, but the definition of the energy/pressure imparted to water connected to a source such as a tank is 'head'. Next time you hear a farmer going on about how the head is good at his place, don't get jealous... or curious.
0 Replies