Sentence Correction

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 02:31 pm
Following is a sentence having one mistake needed to be identified and corrected. I found two possible ways to correct it, but I am not sure if this is right,

All the passengers objected to transfer to the next flight unless they are given a proper explanation.
-->
1.All the passengers objected to TRANSFERRING to the next flight unless they are given a proper explanation.
2.All the passengers objected to transfer to the next flight unless they WERE given a proper explanation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 495 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 02:41 pm
@uknownothing,
2.All the passengers objected to transfer to the next flight unless they WERE given a proper explanation.

All the passengers objected to transferring to the next flight unless they were given a proper explanation.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 02:44 pm
If it is stated that there is one mistake only, then I would identify it as the present 'are' in 'unless they are given a proper explanation', where the subjunctive 'were' is required. The use of 'transfer' as a noun is inelegant but not an error.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 03:58 pm
All the passengers object to being transferred to the next flight unless they are given a proper explanation.

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 07:35 pm
@uknownothing,
These other guys, Unk, are so much smarter than me, that I contribute with hesitance

Every passenger objected to being transferred to the next flight without proper explanation
Glennn

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 08:05 pm
@dalehileman,
I concur.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 08:24 pm
@Glennn,
Why thank you Glenn. Only thing I can see wrong is the use of 'to' twice
Glennn

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 08:46 pm
@dalehileman,
Oh I don't know. I think it's fine. But you might say 'onto' instead of 'to'.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 10:06 pm
@Glennn,
Glenn, whata fine fella, Thanks. Maybe technically 'onto,' but 'to' seems more nearly collo

It's just a pref
0 Replies