Slothfulness and the Porsche 911

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 08:33 pm
Ok right up front I admit to my slothfulness, but I wanted to get the oil changed in the 911 yesterday and didn't feel like doing it myself so I went down to the local "****lube in 30 minutes" place and they sent out for a filter and said it might take a bit over 30 mins but hey, no big deal to me. I went into the waiting area and had 2 cups of their free coffee (worth every dime I paid for it) then walked around for a bit behind the shop and smoked a cig and came back around to the shop and there my 911 sits with the engine boot open and no one around so I find the manager and he tells me the "boy" had to run back to the parts store 'cause they had the wrong filter. So ok I says and "don't forget it takes almost 13 quarts of oil to fill it." So a bit later (like an hour) the manager hunts me down and says to me "it's already to go and only took 5 quarts." "Nope," I tell him it takes amost 13 quarts so that means you didn't drain the engine but half way and you need to drain both sides (it ain't no chevy V-8) so he says to me "you're wrong, I went under it and there is only 1 drain plug and I got all the old oil out" "Nope," I sez "you didn't" so getting kinda redfaced and huffy he says to me "well, you just have to come down under here with me and prove it" so there I go climbing down the latter into the pit, taking off my cowboy hat and donning a plastic hard hat (yellow) I come up under the car and say "see this drain plug? take it out, let the oil drain and put it back and then put in the fresh oil." Bottom line, the 30 minute oil change took just over 2 hours and I had to do most if it myself and it cost me $84. (they didn't charge me to fill the windshield washer bottle)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,914 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Seed

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 08:40 pm
well thats a bit better then what happened to me and my old explorer. Went to one of those places... it only took 15 minutes.. I was like wow! that was really fast.... get in and drive off. bout 5 minutes down the road the oil light comes on and im like huh.... so i pull over and pull out the dip stick and find there is no oil on the dip stick... then i open the oil cap and i can hear my own echo... i was pissed... before i could get back... my enegine seized up on me and they had to buy me a new one... needless to say i change my own oil now...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 08:43 pm
Wow. I can't believe you'd even fathom bringing that car to one of those places. Those people aren't the brightest. I'd pay the premium to have a real mechanic do it the right way.

I used to always call ahead with my BMW's, the few times I went there, to make sure they had the right filters.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 08:45 pm
Much like the time I had a transmission put in my Suburban and they left something loose so all the fluid drained out before I got far down the road.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 08:45 pm
You took your Porsche to Jiffy Lube? Surprised Yer a crazy man! lol
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 09:12 pm
Hah! They switched drain plugs on me. I used to do two oil changes myself, followed by the "full service" treatment. On the first one after the professional job, I discovered a plug with barely enough thread engagement to hold the plug in place. Made a trip to the dealer the next day, got the right plug and another 5 quarts of oil, drained the oil I had just put in and refilled it. Ah, what the heck. It was nice to see clean oil come out of the old crock, for once.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 09:51 pm
fishin' wrote:
You took your Porsche to Jiffy Lube? Surprised Yer a crazy man! lol

Like I said from the gitgo, it was pure, unadulterated, sloth on my part. I atone for my sins.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 10:08 pm
Yeah, but just think of the time you saved.

<smirk>
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 10:24 pm
damn rats, carry the plague you know!!!!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 10:28 pm
They usually do all the oil change, when you get
the car into service with the dealership. Actually, with
my car I only need once a year an oil change and it's
done at the dealership when I go in for service.

You must have quite an old model then.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 10:39 pm
I would only resort to dealership service on the 911 in a dire emergency. The swine!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 10:40 pm
Why?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 08:30 am
Because they rip you off.

Jane, do you have a Porsche? I almost got a Boxster at one point, and I remember reading the recommended oil changes were every 15K miles or 1 year...that just seems wrong. My BMW was the same, but I did it every 4-5K anyway.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 09:12 am
I used to have one Slappy, but with child and dog I had to get
a car that has more room and provides good security, hence it's got to be German Mr. Green
I usually change every 3 years and with a new car I don't
pay a dime for the service and they told me not to change the
oil prior to service. So, I won't!

I'm thinking of a Cayenne the next time though. I like it a lot.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 09:28 am
well Jane do what you think best, however I never go over 3,000 miles on the oil (or 3 months) another item of import is the oil you use, pick a good one (I use GTX in the Porsche) and stay with the one you use. Of course, there are some popular oils that should never go in anything more than a lawnmower but that's another story.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 09:49 am
I do so much driving (20K+ since March), it's hard for me to get in there every 3K on the dime. I usually go every 4K miles. I drive a Nissan, so Jiffy Lube is fine with me.

Dys, yours is an '89, right? Friend of mine has the same car, same color, but in a convertible. He's dumped so much money on mods(wheels, whale spoiler, exhaust system), it's a sweet car. I drove it briefly...those things make such a nice sound. That older style 911 was one of my dream cars when I was a kid.

When he initially bought it, and called the mechanic for him to go through, his friend was standing next to him and said, "make sure you tell them to check the coolant." And the moron said it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 09:59 am
dyslexia wrote:
well Jane do what you think best, however I never go over 3,000 miles on the oil (or 3 months) another item of import is the oil you use, pick a good one (I use GTX in the Porsche) and stay with the one you use. Of course, there are some popular oils that should never go in anything more than a lawnmower but that's another story.

dyslexia, I just checked my car manual and they say:
Quote:
A dash-mounted information display is linked to the Flexible Service System (FSS), which monitors oil life and informs the driver of when an oil change is necessary. Unlike most automotive computers which use a set time or mileage schedule, the FSS takes the individual driver's habits into account as well, and can allow up to 20,000 miles between oil changes for gentle drivers.

My oil is changed around 12,000 miles - that's when I go in for service.
Additionally I have the computer display showing me, if my oil level is
low or needs changing.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 10:12 am
Ooooh, Porches & Nissans & Benzs, oh my!

I drive a Volvo... room + security = good. I go to this guy for oil changes & all other work. Knowing a good mechanic is a wonderful thing. Very Happy

Quote:
What is Art Works, Tacoma??[850/1995] posted by Art Ward, Art Works Volvo Tacoma WA on
Monday, 9 March 1998, at 12:52 p.m.

Someone was asking what is Art Works. We are an independent Volvo repair shop
We've been in business here in Univ. Place for 12 years. I have worked at dealers across US for about 18 years. In all I have almost 30 years of exclussive Volvo work. (I almost have the hang of it). Before going to work for a Volvo dealer in Wash DC in 1970, I was a tank mechanic in S.E Asia. It was a natural transition from M60 tank and Self Propelled artillery to Volvo. Both having about the same lbs armer plate.

Our Address is:

How much would the oil change have cost at a Porche dealership?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 10:17 am
i was going to say something

other than - happy birthday tomorrow, Piffka

but the weird little ads distracted me

what was I going to say? something about new cars and oil changes, and how it's a brave new world
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 10:27 am
I just looked at the Porsche Forum (yes there is such a thing Mr. Green)

It cost around 120 - 160 Dollars. But then you know it's
done professionally. Frankly I wouldn't trust my car to
a Jiffy Lub or whatever oil change facility, even if I had a
Fiat.

http://www.flat-6.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-6632.html
0 Replies