Hooray for Canada

Wilso

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 09:34 pm
Most Canadians probably don't realise that they have a cricket team currently competing in the World Cup in South Africa. 2 days ago the Canadian cricket team recorded it's first ever World Cup victory. A group of full time amateurs have recorded a win against Bangladesh, a team now mostly proffessional and the most recent nation to become a full test playing member of the ICC. A pretty good effort. They'll be beating England soon.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,370 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 09:39 pm
The CBC has always had pretty good cricket coverage - lots of immigrants who played cricket 'back home' and started up teams here. It's absolutely amazing how well they did - i've heard a couple of interviews with the captain - he sounds giddy and stunned!
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 10:28 pm
cricket must be a colony thing....... Confused
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 01:17 am
C'mon, Wilso

The ability to beat England at cricket doesn't say a thing about Canuck cricketing skills!

I remember reading somewhere where the Canadian team members were having some trouble getting time off work, not for practice, but to compete, in such an unknown sport. And they had to pay their own expenses.

I contrast them with the Australian team, current world champions - all highly professional and raking in the big bucks to belt that pill around with a bat!

And one of our most highly paid cricketers has turned out to be a flipping idiot! (sorry - he was always an idiot - just proved it yet another way!)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 06:20 am
He's just typical of athletes I think. But that's probably another subject. We've got all this drug testing to find performance enhancing drugs, and 90% of the suspensions are for everything from caffeine to motion sickness tablets. I think it's about time the drug testing authorities got their act together. It's becoming a joke.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 05:02 am
The Canadian opening batsman has just scored Canada's first one day international century. He's done it against the West Indies, twice world champions and one of the major cricket playing nations, and it's the fastest 100 ever scored in a World Cup match. The 4th fastest in the history of the game. He hit them all over the park.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 07:09 am
On ya, Canada!
0 Replies