What do you have in mind?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,150 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 10:27 am
To me, an excellent performer is one where you never recognize him from one part to the next. The actor is playing the part, not himself!
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 10:33 am
Yes, I get annoyed at movies where your watching the star, not the character the star is supposed to be portraying.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 11:02 am
I remember, in the early 1960's, seeing a few performances by Geraldine Page. At the time, I never could figure out who that actress was, but I knew that she was a good one!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 11:48 am
http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/21/37/12m.jpg

Jeffrey Wright comes to mind immediately. He's done numerous things but 4 outstanding roles, IMO, were Basquait, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., a Mexican drug lord in the remake of Shaft and Belize in both the Broadway and HBO versions of Angels in America. I was particularly leery of his portrayal of Dr. King, there's no physical resemblance at all, but within ten minutes, he'd convinced me that he was Dr. King. That's the key, I think. When an actor can convince you that they are the person they're playing, real or fictional, that's a good performer.
I still haven't watched Basquait all the way through. His performance is just too tragic for me.

Geraldine Page was superb. She ate up Tennessee Williams.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 07:24 pm
Jack Black is my favorite...Even though he plays the same guy in every movie, himself.
0 Replies

Emilie

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 06:41 pm
I like Jack Black too, especially in "school of rock" he has no shame, which makes it even more hilarious. It's so weird that his best mate is called Mike White!
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 08:20 pm
School of Rock was watered down Disney Jack Black, for the full effect check out Tenacious D.
0 Replies

pink thespian13

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:59 am
I think a good performer always makes you believe what they're saying. One instance that particularly comes to mind is Johnny Depp in Finding Neverland. What an outstanding performance. He's sitting there talking about all the wonders of Neverland and you will find yourself believing there is such a place. Sensational actor.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 10:08 am
Yes, Johnny Depp has the ability to portrait his movie
characters very well. George Clooney, Brat Pitt, Tom Cruise and other "pretty boys" always play themselves, handsome actors but no charisma and acting abilities.

In "Rainman" you forget that the lead actor is actually Dustin Hoffman. You believe that this character is an autistic person
trying to cope with the world. Brilliant movie, excellent acting
by Hoffman.
0 Replies