The teams were equal at half-time

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 11:16 am
Does the following sentence make sense in American or British English?

The teams were equal at half-time.

If not, how would you express this concept?

Thank you.

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 11:27 am
One would say: "The teams were tied at half-time."
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 11:29 am
@paok1970,
paok1970 wrote:

Does the following sentence make sense in American or British English?

The teams were equal at half-time.

Do you mean...
The teams were tied* at half-time?

*Tied as in the score was tied? If that's the case, your sentence hasn't been used in English to express that thought.

I guess... your sentence really doesn't make sense as I can't figure out exactly what it means (sans context).
centrox

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 12:36 pm
Made immediate sense to me. Note: Tony Blair went to Fettes.
https://i.imgbox.com/muK1DUJz.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 12:40 pm
@centrox,
I guess it's a British idiom then. It isn't a common American phrasing.
centrox

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 01:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
I guess it's a British idiom then. It isn't a common American phrasing.

Very common in British and British Commonwealth English. But the meaning is kind of obvious, isn't it?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 02:03 pm
Maybe "tied" is used more, but "equal" is perfectly understandable in this context.
0 Replies

Ponderer

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 02:25 pm
@paok1970,
Q: "Does the following sentence make sense in American or British English ?"
A: yes
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2017 04:53 pm
@paok1970,
I would just say: The game was tied at halftime.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 02:12 am
@tsarstepan,
Tie tends to refer to the match itself. As in

Quote:
The Emirates FA Cup tie between Litherland REMYCA and AFC Liverpool live on BBC Sport

http://www.thefa.com/news/2017/aug/03/emirates-fa-cup-tie-remyca-afc-liverpool-live-on-bbc-030817

We would say the scores were equal or level, or 'honours even,' if the score remains the same at the end of the match it's a draw.
paok1970

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 02:32 am
@izzythepush,
Should I use "tie, "draw" or "draw level" in the sentence below?

Germany drew / tied /drew level with France in a friendly at Wembley, London yesterday evening.

What about "Germany and France tied /drew / drew level in a friendly at Wembley, London yesterday evening"?

IN YOUR OWN WORDS, how would you express the above concept?

Thanks again for the help.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 02:39 am
@paok1970,
We wouldn't use tied in the UK in that situation. I can't see anyone using your particular phraseology either, (although it is grammatically correct.) We'd be more likely to say The France Germany friendly on Friday ended up as a, (goalless, )draw.
paok1970

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 02:51 am
@izzythepush,
According to the following link, it is possible to use "draw" as a verb to indicate a "tie". What do you think?

Congo drew 0-0 (nil all) with Senegal in June

Also, when do you use "to draw level" in sports such as football? Would you please give me some examples?

Thanks again for the help.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 02:58 am
@paok1970,
Your example is perfectly correct and sounds natural.

I've never heard the term drew level used in football, but a commentator could use it I suppose. The equaliser means San Marino have now drawn level with Brazil, but it still sounds a bit contrived.
paok1970

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 03:04 am
@izzythepush,
Thank you very much for your prompt response.

Is it possible to use "equalize" as a verb in the following way?

Brazil equalized with England yesterday evening.

Thank you.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 04:25 am
@paok1970,
Yes it is. It's quite common.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 11:13 am
Ì think we need to clear something up here. English as spoken in North America and as spoken in Britain and the Commonwealth outside of Canada can be quite divergent. The common expressions used in Canada are almost identical to those used in the United States. Apart from the tortured orthography they use, it is, as I said, almost identical.

It is not appropriate to say that either the American language or the British language is superior, one to the other. They are just different. If you wish to learn one rather than the other, you should let us know. We had an English-language learner here for a while with skills as strong as your own, and she said at one point that she wished to learn the British usages. At that point, I simply stopped responding to her questions--not from antipathy, but because she needed to be certain that she was learning the British usages. Some people who respond to these questions have no business answering them because of their parochial and idiotic assumption about the level and sophistication of their knowledge (*cough*cough*--Glennnnn--*cough*cough*). Dalehileman is a fool whose responses are useless.

I usually point out that I am referring to an American usage, but sometimes I forget. Let us know, and we can make the distinction when responding. If you prefer to learn one usage over the other, let us know and we'll accommodate you. If you wish to learn both, we can accommodate that, too.
Glennn

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 11:19 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Some people who respond to these questions have no business answering them because of their parochial and idiotic assumption about the level and sophistication of their knowledge (*cough*cough*--Glennnnn--*cough*cough*).

If only you could come up with an example to show that your statement here is correct, you wouldn't look like a disgruntled fool.
centrox

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 11:38 am
@paok1970,
paok1970 wrote:
Is it possible to use "equalize" as a verb in the following way?

Brazil equalized with England yesterday evening.

Yes. Brits would spell it "equalise". You see expressions like "Bloggs delivered the equaliser in the 57th minute".
0 Replies

paok1970

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 11:54 am
@Setanta,
I'm interested in both points of view. Thanks for the help.