The teams were equal at half-time

Glennn

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 04:43 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
Where I live, one pulls (or turns) into a street or road in a town, village or city, and onto a main inter-city road or freeway.

Where I live, one pulls into a driveway or parking lot or gas station. One pulls back out onto the road.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 05:06 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
I gave a screenshot of lots of examples that are also "correct". What's your point?

You've provided examples of other people who didn't know the difference. So what's your point? I provided examples of people who did know the difference.

If you want to decide which group is right, consider that teams can be tied when it comes to their positions in rankings, while games are tied when it comes to scores.

Here are examples of the proper use of the term "teams are tied.":

What would happen if 3 teams were tied for a playoff spot ...

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110602195251AAamGzv

Jun 02, 2011 · Let's just say that the Brewers, Marlins, and Braves are all tied for a wild card spot. They finished with the same record and have been eliminated from ...

NFL Tiebreaking Procedures. ... If two teams are tied for a position, both teams are awarded the ranking as if they held it solely.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures
0 Replies

MethSaferThanTHC

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2017 11:13 pm
@paok1970,
One way is to make the time the subject.
Ex: at half-time the teams were equal.

Maybe a different word to suggest 'score' (teams were tied)?
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2017 07:57 am
@paok1970,
Teams have games.

Games have scores.

Teams tie with other teams when it comes to the number of games they've won. Teams tie for first place, second place, etc.

Games are tied when it comes to the number of points each team has scored in a game. When points are equal for each team, the game is tied, not the teams.

Contrary to what some believe, one word does not fit all.

0 Replies