I can't sleep! Or any random stuff.......

msolga

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 07:04 pm
nimh

Talking books are about THE only thing that ever worked for me. (Not very respectful of the author of the book, I grant you, but I finish it eventually. ..) The thing is, if you have an mind that's like a buzzing bee, jumping from one thing to another at alarming speed Shocked , it really helps to focus on something else.
Once, in desperation, I tried "relaxation" tapes. Trouble was, the pressure to relax was so intense that it made me extremely anxious about WHY it wasn't working! Laughing

I like the story about A & her trusty tape letting her down. Laughing

Ever tried to get to sleep after a late night debating a hot topic on A2K? Now there's a challenge!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 01:37 pm
I read catalogues when I can't sleep, which is less often than it used to be. It seems the sound of dogs breathing is very relaxing to me.

superjuly - have you put up a sign for the boston a2k'ers letting them know you're on your way?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 09:38 pm
I hardly ever can't sleep as I have my own personal answer, which is a low light and a book within reach, most of which put me to sleep in a matter of a few sentences.

Not through any virtue of mine now... back in not so far away, I used to have sleepless nights over lab tests, and later, in landarch school, over grading and drainage, and then in real life land/design over real projects, and I have actually solved irrigation problems for a whole housing project in my so called sleep.... and I've had to give speeches.. so I know about nighttime whammies. Still, as one gets older, new whammies replace older ones.

Eh, move over, whammie, we'll discuss it in the morning.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 01:48 am
Oh my! I was sweeping my balcony - and came across what I thought were oddly coloured cat turds on the window sill.

I was trying to imagine what on EARTH had got into my cats - or wondering if I had had a shittin' possum visitor while I was away - when I discovered that they were the mud nests of one of the local native wasps (as opposed to the beastly European Wasp invaders) and inside each was a poor, paralysed but alive, spider - waiting to be eaten alive by the wasp grubs when they hatched. Didn't see any eggs - so, unless they were inside the spiders, gonna be an unhappy wasp coming back soon....

I put the spiders out of their misery - it was MOST odd to see clearly alive spiders sitting quite unharmed in my dust pan - not moving a muscle.

Ah, the casual horrors of life that go on around us every millisecond of every day! Not that how spiders get their living is anything to dwell on - nor how we do....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 01:51 am
Er - do spiders HAVE muscles???? I mean, they clearly have SOMETHING - but, is is muscles?
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 02:54 pm
Quote:
This internal skeleton serves as a surface for muscle attachment.

http://www.spyda-webb.co.uk/anatomy.html

Hmm... interesting. Now I know about a spider's anatomy.
Most interesting I though was how a male spider will vibrate the female's web in a special way to tell her that he's a mate and not an insect to be eaten... How romantic is that?

ehBeth wrote:

superjuly - have you put up a sign for the boston a2k'ers letting them know you're on your way?

Not yet... Maybe I should get to it soon. I just don't know what to say...

"Hey Boston, I'm coming!" doesn't sound cool enough.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 04:07 pm
"Hey Boston, why bother with January when you can have a Super July"?
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 04:16 pm
Heehee... It actually doesn't sound at all like a bad idea.
May I steal it from ya? Very Happy
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 04:26 pm
Coming to Boston, are ye???

If I see a big pair of lips coming towards me, I'll say hi.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 04:38 pm
How hospitable of you Slappy... :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 05:52 pm
superjuly wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

Why be cool? Cool Be excited, just like you are :! Very Happy That's sounds good to me!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 06:08 pm
superjuly wrote:
Quote:
This internal skeleton serves as a surface for muscle attachment.

http://www.spyda-webb.co.uk/anatomy.html

Hmm... interesting. Now I know about a spider's anatomy.
Most interesting I though was how a male spider will vibrate the female's web in a special way to tell her that he's a mate and not an insect to be eaten... How romantic is that?

Been lookin' at those tarantulas - I DO NOT see the attraction of keeping spiders as pets - still, it takes all kinds....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 06:08 pm
msolga wrote:
superjuly wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

Why be cool? Cool Be excited, just like you are :! Very Happy That's sounds good to me!

You could always just lick your lips....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 06:09 pm
superjuly wrote:
Heehee... It actually doesn't sound at all like a bad idea.
May I steal it from ya? Very Happy

Of course Cool
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 06:11 pm
dlowan wrote:
msolga wrote:
superjuly wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

You could always just lick your lips....

Laughing Now that would create some excitement in Boston! :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 06:31 pm
Oh, Boston is all "Bean there, done that, threw away the t shirt".
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 06:44 pm
Oh, I'm sure that's true, Deb. Probably the coolest people on earth. Was just being silly, that's all.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 10:12 pm
So how exactly is Boston "Bean there, done that, threw away the t shirt"?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 10:32 pm
I have no idea - I was bumping me gums together, cos I got to make a pun!

But aren't they sposed to be a bit super cool and Brahminesque?

The Boston Brigade will soon tell us!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 10:36 pm
msolga wrote:
Oh, I'm sure that's true, Deb. Probably the coolest people on earth. Was just being silly, that's all.

Ach - I wasn't being smart - just wanted to make a Boston Bean pun!!! Waaaaah!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/04/2024 at 03:21:04