I can't sleep! Or any random stuff.......

msolga

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:22 am
I'm sure! Lots of Bostonians @ A2K, too. You might start a thread to let them know you're coming. Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:33 am
msolga wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Hmmm - I normally sleep ok - though not usually enough - (when I have a holiday, I sleep ridiculously long hours!).

Man, I was tired at work today....

Poor rabbit! Dragging your bunny tail all day were you?

Oh my yes! I tend to be doing that at work anyway........

We have quarter of our team either going - or wth cancer - our urgent waiting list (expecting to be seen within a week or 2 at most) is pages long - and we can't take any more..... Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:33 am
msolga wrote:
I'm sure! Lots of Bostonians @ A2K, too. You might start a thread to let them know you're coming. Very Happy

Tom toms'll be a beating!
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:35 am
I actually thought about it. Not so much to let them know I'm coming, but to get a bit of info on what to do and what to see around the city. I'm dying to ask about the nightlife too.
I think I might...

So what is leaving in Australia like?
I saw this tv show not long ago (can't remember the name of it) that was filmed in a very secluded coastal area of the country. It was spectacular!

Nice chatting with ya msolga!!! I better get my day started.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:36 am
Oh, that's sounds terrible, Deb! Sad
How does a person cope when things become so fraught?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:42 am
superjuly wrote:
I actually thought about it. Not so much to let them know I'm coming, but to get a bit of info on what to do and what to see around the city. I'm dying to ask about the nightlife too.
I think I might...

So what is leaving in Australia like?
I saw this tv show not long ago (can't remember the name of it) that was filmed in a very secluded coastal area of the country. It was spectacular!

The Boston folk are a very nice bunch. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to answer any of your questions. You'll be surprised.

Oz? It's HUGE! The secluded coast you saw could have been in any number of places. There are also spectacular deserts, rainforests & many other delights to be experienced. Me, I'm a city girl. Actually most Oz folk live in cities, along the eastern coast.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:44 am
msolga wrote:
Oh, that's sounds terrible, Deb! Sad
How does a person cope when things become so fraught?

Aargh - we stopped coping - we just plod grimly.

Ha! There was actually a demonstration at Parliament House today - demanding more child and adolescent mental health workers - a community effort - but it was for our southern hills region. THey have more staff per capita than we do!!!
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:45 am
msolga wrote:

Oz? It's HUGE! The secluded coast you saw could have been in any number of places. There are also spectacular deserts, rainforests & many other delights to be experienced. Me, I'm a city girl. Actually most Oz folk live in cities, along the eastern coast.

I only hear wonderful things about it too. Have a good day!! Very Happy I bet I will, even though sleep deprived. Well... sort of.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:48 am
Awful situation, Deb!
So depressing!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:49 am
Cheers, superjuly! You'll sleep well tonight!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 04:57 am
Boston rocks, superjuly. Much, of course, depends on what you're into. If it's art, music or historicity, Boston is the city in the USA to be. More museums, universities and concert halls and other musical venues per square mile than any other city I know of. If it's night life you hanker after, the only problem is that blue-nose laws mandate the closing of night clubs at 2 a.m. That can be a bummer unless you hook up with a lively crowd which continues the party at a private residence after hours. Start a thread. Ask for details. A couple of dozen of us Bostonians will be happy to give you some direction.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 09:12 pm
Shocked

2 AM?????? What is up with that?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 10:08 pm
Boston was settled by Puritans (1630), later (1840s) suffered a major influx of Irish immigrants. The combination of strait-laced Puritanism and Irish Catholicism has mandated a large number of repressive, puritanical laws where the consumption of alcohol is concerned. It's only within the last year that selected liquor stores have been permitted to even sell liquor for consumption off-premises on Sundays (and that only after 12 noon when the churchgoers have done with churchgoing). Until then you couldn't even buy a bottle of wine or a sixpack of beer on Sunday. But that doesn't mean the whole city shuts down and rolls up its sidewalks after 2 a.m. There are plenty of swinging singles and house-partying going on. You just have to get in with the right crowd. Will you be going to school here?
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 08:11 am
Hmm... Thanks for the very informative reply. That's actually interesting, but it looks like I'm going to have to find me some fun bostonians that like to parteee just like I do. It shouldn't be hard, I'm sure.

Yes, I'm going to school to finish my BA (something that I've been mentally striving for... for a loooong time).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 02:46 pm
I finally slept last night!!!

But I am grumpy - REALLY grumpy.

I tis our office christmas lunch today - you'd think I'd be happy, but I am not.

The bastids decided that it would be a good 30 kilometres on from work - to add to the 30 kilometres I drive to get there every day.

I suggested that it was the turn of us that live this side of town to have a restaurant nearer to us again - (we sort of take rough turns) - but our team psychiatrist had a tantrum about it! (She lives a loooong way the other way) But - her tantrum wasn't about that at all - it was deflection of tension from other things entirely!!! (Which I had to deal with later) But the tantrum was so bad, that everyone except me gave in without a murmur! So - I have been fine about it for weeks - but NOW I'm grumpy!!!

Working life is odd.

Or perhaps just I am.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 04:27 pm
dlowan--

Grumpy with or without indigestion?

Sorry for my contribution to your slings and arrows. I've corrected the link on the Greeting Card Virus thread--late, but....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 06:11 pm
dlowan wrote:
I finally slept last night!!!

But I am grumpy - REALLY grumpy.

Aw, you can't heve everything, Deb! Laughing

Enjoy your party! Perhaps a ride home?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 06:14 pm
Something to put you in the mood for your party, Deb:

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/12/16/cartoon_1712_gallery__550x382.jpg
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 06:27 pm
msolga wrote:
One useful little habit I've picked up recently to help me switch off my very busy little brain is listening to a talking book when I hit the bed & turn off the light. Believe me, it works like a dream! Very Happy

I heard about that. It doesnt appeal to me much, but they do say it works.

What also appears to help is a regular go-to-sleep ritual. I dont (just) mean the starting-to-prepare-for-night half an hour in advance thing, but just - something you play every night when falling asleep, for example. A. had this CD ... her "sleepCD". It was actually a beautiful CD ... kinda lo-fi guitar-ish alternative, female singer. Very beautiful actually, it carried so much of her. She had played it to go to sleep to every night for years - not for fifteen years in a row I think, but in phases of a few years. She used it here too. It worked amazingly. She would snuggle up in bed or on the couch (the couch if I was staying up), put the CD on, and be asleep by the third song or so - always. Utterly instinctual.

It worked so automatically, that the one time it didnt work and she stayed awake, she totally panicked - like as if you suddenly found you were standing on water, or looked at your mum and it was a strange face or something. She stopped for a while after that, downloaded some thunderstorm-sounds MP3s instead, they worked pretty good too.

But I've never seen anything as instinctual and automatic as with her sleep CD. Very moving, actually <nods>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 06:45 pm
A2K is the worst place to be on when unable to sleep tho, in my experience. Cause it just goes on forever. There's always another thread. Plus they keep you alert (amused, argumentative, pondersome) rather than gradually more absent ... before you know it, bam, two three hours past, and you're still wide awake.

Talking of which ...
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/04/2024 at 03:25:19