Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 04:01 pm
@maxdancona,
I did. Sorry if it didn't please you.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 04:08 pm
@maxdancona,
We've gone down this road before. My kids are Hispanic as well and in Charlotte and Dallas they never experienced what your kids did.

It says more about your beloved Boston than anything else.

Again, life is tough and it's never been or ever will be "fair" and yet a great number of people (not all white) succeed.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 04:15 pm
I don't want to get into this . . . much, but is it possible that you are interpreting prejudice against non-whites as privilege for white women?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 04:24 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
I don't want to get into this . . . much, but is it possible that you are interpreting prejudice against non-whites as privilege for white women?

Yes, I am interpreting prejudice against non-whites as privilege for white women and white men. That is what White Privilege means... right?

And I am also claiming that in almost every practical way, White women are privileged over people of color... and even men of color.

- White women earn more than men or women of color.
- White women are less likely to be stopped by police than men or women of color.
- White women get lighter sentences and serve less prison time than men or women of color... for committing the same crime.
- White women are more likely to get a loan at better interest rates then men or women of color with equivalent credit histories.

This list could go on and on. There very few ways that a White Woman isn't privileged compared to either men or women of color.

Glennn

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 04:47 pm
@maxdancona,
Okay, I see your point. But I guess what I'm trying to say is that if there were no non-whites in this country, it might not appear that white women are privileged.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2017 11:46 am
Despite what our resident eunuch claims, it's still a lot harder for women.

Quote:
Two female US entrepreneurs have revealed that they created an imaginary male co-founder to dodge sexism and make setting up their company easier.
Penelope Gazin and Kate Dwyer of online art marketplace Witchsy said male developers responded better to emails signed by "Keith Mann".
They replied faster and were less condescending, the entrepreneurs said.
Earlier this month a Google employee was fired for saying women were unsuited to tech.
The memo - which suggested there were fewer women at Google due to biological differences - broke the firm's code of conduct, chief executive Sundar Pichai said.
Ms Gazin and Ms Dwyer said they came up with the idea for Keith Mann because they were struggling to get the services they needed from graphic designers and web developers.
Potential collaborators in the male-dominated tech world were slow to reply and sometimes rude, Ms Dwyer told the BBC.
"The responses were cold and we were not taken seriously," she said, adding: "Developers didn't use our names in their emails; one used the term 'ok girls'."
But things changed when fictional Keith Mann began signing their correspondence - with a certain level of assertiveness.
"Keith would chase things up; 'You guys said this would be done, what's the status?' he would write. The responses were pretty speedy," Ms Dwyer said.
She said that Keith was addressed by name and that "there was a noticeable difference in tone, a kind of level of comfort [in dealing with Keith]".
Silicon Valley's women have spoken. Now what?
But rather than get angry, Ms Gazin and Ms Dwyer used Keith Mann to make progress on their start-up, now a year old and profitable.
In its first year, Witchsy has sold about $200,000 (£155,000) of offbeat and dark-humoured art from a number of artists, who receive 80% of the purchase price, its

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41096514
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2017 11:53 am
@maxdancona,
White women enjoy white privilege and victim status.

It's pretty cool for them.

I love women of all colors and have quite a few of them in my family so if it benefits them in this nutty country, great.

The ideologues though should admit that they are talking out of their arses on this subject. They always want to have it both ways.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2017 11:53 am
@izzythepush,
That's funny! Two women on the internet with a political point to make prove what they set out to prove.

It wouldn't be that hard to turn this into a scientific study; you would make this a double blind study so that the people evaluating the responses were unaware of which name was used. Then at least you could deal with the selection bias of the researchers.

They didn't bother to do that. When the narrative is more important than facts, I guess looking for objective facts doesn't really matter.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2017 12:06 pm
@izzythepush,
Actually, there are studies that do show gender bias in a scientific way. I don't have any problem accepting this.

I just googled a well-done scientific study that showed that applications from male candidates for a lab manager position where more highly rated than those from female candidates in a controlled experiment where everything else in the application was equal (only the gender was changed).

I don't think this is relevant. I have never argued that women aren't discriminated against in society. My point is that facts matter... sometimes the narrative fits the facts, sometimes it doesn't. The facts should always be more important.

Any ideological echo chamber can accept the facts that do fit their narrative (and there are always facts to fit any ideology).
maxdancona

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2017 12:25 pm
@maxdancona,
I forgot the link - https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/unofficial-prognosis/study-shows-gender-bias-in-science-is-real-heres-why-it-matters/

Quote:
Half the scientists were given the application with a male name attached, and half were given the exact same application with a female name attached. Results found that the “female” applicants were rated significantly lower than the “males” in competence, hireability, and whether the scientist would be willing to mentor the student.

This is for Izzy's benefit. It doesn't really have anything to do with the topic of the thread.
Foofie

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2017 01:06 pm
@maxdancona,
Well, your statistics are valid; however, in the real world, if a woman had a Russian name, she might be chosen over a nebishy , plain vanilla name. Possibly, some other ethnic groups would have women chosen over males. The point is that men are statistically more likely to be of "genius" quality in a profession, since women supposedly are socialized to balance their lives, giving many different venues their time. Geniuses are sort of one-tracked.

Anyway, if we just stop socializing woman to love "pink," (methaphorically speaking) we might have a more productive society.
0 Replies

ally0008
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2017 07:26 pm
Yes, of course they do.

Any other questions.
0 Replies

TheCarolG

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 05:30 pm
@maxdancona,
I've been reading a lot of these replies to your question maxdancona and it disturbs me a little bit that people think that white privilege is no longer a thing. I mean no disrespect to anyone but I just can't agree with that thought.
I am a white woman and I know the privilege that goes along with that.
Just one example of the inequalities women of color face is that on average white women get paid 80% of what white men are paid and on average black women receive 63% of what white men get paid. It is also proven that black women work more than white women and yet they still earn less.
Not just in payment is there inequality but also in feminism. In the second-wave feminist movement many of the leading voices focused only on the white upper class woman's problems and it wasn't till the third-wave feminist movement that more women of color were being heard and recognized for their contributions to the feminist theory.
Socioeconomic status also shows how minorities experience more hardships then whites. African Americans, Hispanics, and other minority groups experience higher poverty rates, are more likely to attend high-poverty schools, have worse overall health (which may stem from economic determinants, education, geography and neighborhood, environment, lower quality care, inadequate access to care, inability to navigate the system, provider ignorance or bias, and stress), and much more.
To claim that white privilege is over is to close your eyes to injustice.
Racism is still rampant within American and other cultures and societies. Racism influences one's oppression just as gender, class status, disability, sexual orientation affect it. All these things are intertwined, a person's overlapping identities impact the way they experience oppression.

Compared to women of minorities I know i am more likely to be hired for a job, will earn more, will be more likely to live in a low poverty neighborhood, will more likely to have better health. The facts are all there if you just look at them. If you do not believe me I encourage you to do research on your own and I implore you to see things from a different perspective. Sometimes the truth is hard to believe, hard to bear, but it is the truth that opens our eyes to the realities of life and pushes us to form opinions that are well rounded and open minded.
0 Replies

nononono

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 12:56 am
@maxdancona,
White women have more privilege than any other group of people in the history of the human race.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 09:22 am
@nononono,
That's kind of an overbroad thing to say, now you are being just as ridiculous... but just from the other side.

It is a fact that White men make more money and hold more positions of power in business and in politics. It is not that hard to list many ways that men have been advantaged in the past and are still advantaged.

It all depends on how you measure privilege.
0 Replies