Democracy is best served by strict separation of...

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 11:44 am
A very good collection of documents, including court opinions, on this issue can be found here:

http://pewforum.org/religion-schools/pledge/

Of the court opinions listed, I thought Judge Thomas's opinion to be the best. He states that to require recitation of the pledge as it is currently written is clearly requiring one to state a belief in God and to require a statement of a belief in God is clearly unconstitutional. However, so long as the Pledge or any phrase in it is optional--in other words the person is not required to state it--then the Pledge as worded is constitutionally protected under the 'free exercise' clause of the First Amendment.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 11:53 am
Foxfyre wrote:
A very good collection of documents, including court opinions, on this issue can be found here:

http://pewforum.org/religion-schools/pledge/

Of the court opinions listed, I thought Judge Thomas's opinion to be the best. He states that to require recitation of the pledge as it is currently written is clearly requiring one to state a belief in God and to require a statement of a belief in God is clearly unconstitutional. However, so long as the Pledge or any phrase in it is optional--in other words the person is not required to state it--then the Pledge as worded is constitutionally protected under the 'free exercise' clause of the First Amendment.

Allow me to quote your words again, Fox:

Quote:
More tolerance by everybody is in order I think.

Even Thomas...who is probably to the right of Attila the Hun...recognizes that "if required"...it would be unconstitutional.

Well...while it is not required...it certainly is something people do. We do it at every Council meeting in our town...and almost all schools start assemblies with the pledge.

Why have the words in there...when they have absolutely nothing whatever to do with the intent of the pledge...which is to pledge loyalty to one's country?????

Why make it difficult for people to join in with their fellow countryfolks in a recitation of a pledge of loyalty???

Why...other than "because we want to and screw you because you are in the minority and cannot do anything about it?"

Why????

Especially someone like you who is preaching more tolerance!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 12:18 pm
Why?

Because the majority wants them to be there and it is their right to have free exercise of religion if they want it. So long as you aren't required to agree to it, state it, think it, or believe anything about it, you are not the least bit coerced or harmed in any way because the others choose to exercise their constitutionally protected right to express a belief.

Tolerance works both ways. One side won't force anything on the other. When it comes down to personal preferences, which constitutionally, this issue is, then the only equitable way to solve the problem is to allow the majority to rule. I don't have the right to force you to express any belief. You don't have the right to say I won't have the right to express a belief.

I guarantee you that the day a majority does not want the phrase "under God" to be in the Pledge, it will soon be gone.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 01:13 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Why?

Because the majority wants them to be there and it is their right to have free exercise of religion if they want it.

It is a goddam pledge of allegience to our country, Fox. What the hell don't you understand about that.

Whether or not it is a nation under god has absolutely nothing to do with the pledge. It is in-your-face bullshyt.

What if the pledge read "...one nation, predominantly of white people..."?

Would you think that to be okay...even if the majority of people felt it to be true? Would you then argue that people are not being forced to recite it so it shouldn't matter?

Can you not open up your mind wide enough to see that the question of whether or not this nation is a nation under any gods...is not germane to the reason for the oath.

The reason for the oath is to pledge loyalty to this country without regard to any of its components.

Open your mind.

Be that "tolerant" person you suggested we all be.

Quote:
So long as you aren't required to agree to it, state it, think it, or believe anything about it, you are not the least bit coerced or harmed in any way because the others choose to exercise their constitutionally protected right to express a belief.

The pledge is not the place for it.

And yes...kids in school are the least bit coerced to recite the pledge. In fact, they are coerced by peer pressure a whole lot.

Why are you so blind to that?

Quote:
Tolerance works both ways. One side won't force anything on the other. When it comes down to personal preferences, which constitutionally, this issue is, then the only equitable way to solve the problem is to allow the majority to rule. I don't have the right to force you to express any belief. You don't have the right to say I won't have the right to express a belief.

OUR SIDE IS NOT TRYING TO DO WHAT YOUR SIDE IS DOING.

Wake the hell up!

If our side were saying we wanted the wording changed to "...one nation, without any gods..."...then you would have a point.

But we are merely saying that in the national pledge of allegience...the question of whether or not we are under any god should not arise.

Wake up!

Quote:
I guarantee you that the day a majority does not want the phrase "under God" to be in the Pledge, it will soon be gone.

It should not be there because of the willfulness of the majority in any case.

And if on that day that you mention...the new majority wanted to put in a line specifying atheism for this country....I guarantee YOU that I would be every bit as opposed.

Wake up!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 01:27 pm
Our side isn't "trying to do" anything Frank. Our side is minding its own business and going to work or to the grocery store and isn't meddling in your preferences or demanding you give up a cherished tradition or filing suit to make you conform to our will. All we ask is that you give us the same degree of tolerance on the issue of the Pledge as we give you.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 01:50 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Our side isn't "trying to do" anything Frank. Our side is minding its own business and going to work or to the grocery store and isn't meddling in your preferences or demanding you give up a cherished tradition or filing suit to make you conform to our will. All we ask is that you give us the same degree of tolerance on the issue of the Pledge as we give you.

Nice try...but completely wrong.

"Your side" is saying that although there is absolutely no reason to descibe our country as a "nation under god".in the pledge of allegience to our county..they are going to do it anyway because they are the majority.

I notice you have avoided answering about how you would feel if the "majority" wanted to include "...one nation, predominantly white..." in the pledge.

Why not talk about that for a while.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 02:08 pm
I don't want to talk about that because it is absurd. I can't imagine that a majority or more than a teeny minority of Americans would condone a racist inference in the Pledge or anywhere else for that mater. On the other hand, independent studies have recently shown that more than 90% of Americans believe in God. A minority of Americans alive today were alive or at least old enough to remember when "under God" was added to the Pledge. Therefore it has been around for a long time and, to the best of my knowledge, hasn't caused a single person to be religious, to want to be religious, and it certainly hasn't created any religious fanatics. It is an innocuous expression intended to reflect the nations religious heritage as President Eisenhower explained it and it takes away nobody's rights and hurts nobody.

So if it doesn't 'need to be there' as you say, then neither does 'it need not to be there'. There is no constitutional right to have things said exactly the way we want them to be.

When it comes to matters of rights, the majority should not prevail simply because they are the majority. When it comes to matters of preference, the only reasonable option is for the majority to prevail.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 02:11 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
When it comes to matters of preference, the only reasonable option is for the majority to prevail.

I knew we'd get here eventually.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 02:13 pm
I've been there from the very beginning EhBeth.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 02:18 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I don't want to talk about that because it is absurd.

Yeah...it is absurd...at least as absurd as "nation under god."

And it is more difficult to defend.

So I understand your reluctance.

Quote:
I can't imagine that a majority or more than a teeny minority of Americans would condone a racist inference in the Pledge or anywhere else for that mater.

Well...in certain areas of our country...and not too long ago...you would have been dead wrong. But what does that matter to you.

Quote:
On the other hand, independent studies have recently shown that more than 90% of Americans believe in God.

So what? What does "believing in God" have to do with unnecessary and inappropriate words in the pledge of allegience?

Quote:
A minority of Americans alive today were alive or at least old enough to remember when "under God" was added to the Pledge.

The words were added in 1954.

There are plenty of people alive who remember it.

Quote:
Therefore it has been around for a long time and, to the best of my knowledge, hasn't caused a single person to be religious, to want to be religious, and it certainly hasn't created any religious fanatics. It is an innocuous expression intended to reflect the nations religious heritage as President Eisenhower explained it and it takes away nobody's rights and hurts nobody.

Why do you insist on saying it hurts nobody...when it definitely does?

Quote:
So if it doesn't 'need to be there' as you say, then neither does 'it need not to be there'. There is no constitutional right to have things said exactly the way we want them to be.

You are blind...pathetically blind.

People like you are the reason we, the minority on this issue, have to fight these fights. If not, people like you would **** on us.

Quote:
When it comes to matters of rights, the majority should not prevail simply because they are the majority. When it comes to matters of preference, the only reasonable option is for the majority to prevail.

You are blind...pathetically blind.

People like you are the reason we, the minority on this issue, have to fight these fights. If not, people like you would **** on us.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 02:41 pm
Okay Frank. I'll leave you with your open-minded, understanding, tolerant self and try not to annoy you further.....if I can find my tapping cane to get out the door.....
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 07:03 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Because the majority wants them to be there and it is their right to have free exercise of religion if they want it. So long as you aren't required to agree to it, state it, think it, or believe anything about it, you are not the least bit coerced or harmed in any way because the others choose to exercise their constitutionally protected right to express a belief.

Fox, can you honestly say that if the situation were reversed and the majority approved of the phrase "one nation under no God", that you would be defending the continued use of that phrase in the pledge just as you are now?

Because I can tell you honestly, that I personaly would be just as upset with the phrase "under no God" as I am with "under God". So in my case the situation reverses perfectly.

Can you say the same?

(I prefer that the pledge be returned to its original form)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 07:16 pm
I prefer no pledge whatsoever, I am an anarchist and believe no man should rule another by means of coercion.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 07:17 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I prefer no pledge whatsoever, I am an anarchist and believe no man should rule another by means of coercion.

Do you feel the same way about the oath of citizenship which new US citizens take?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 07:22 pm
yes, it's stupid.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 07:33 pm
dyslexia wrote:
yes, it's stupid.

Why?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 07:35 pm
an oath does not make a reality. I assume the first person that would be happy to make an oath would also be the first to act against it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 07:52 pm
Hi Dys, sorry for the personal questions here, but it's interesting, especially since so few preach the virtues of anarchy... Smile

dyslexia wrote:
an oath does not make a reality. I assume the first person that would be happy to make an oath would also be the first to act against it.

Some people feel compelled by oaths and promises, others don't. Some people are honorable, others are not.

You seem to feel that an oath is immaterial to all who take it.

Do you feel the same about personal promises from people?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 07:56 pm
yeah pretty much, if its in writing it's worthless,(left to lawyers to debate) I take a mans/womans look in the eye and firm afirmation/handshake to be of more value. I am pretty much a fruitcake in this regard.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 08:03 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I am pretty much a fruitcake in this regard.

Hmmm, I notice that you and Fox are both in New Mexico... something in the water maybe? Wink
0 Replies