Democracy is best served by strict separation of...

rosborne979

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 12:46 pm
wandeljw wrote:
rosborne,

From my reading, it appears the October vote will be a referendum type of thing. It has been reported in the media that Iraqis will be allowed a direct yes or no vote on the constitution. I don't think the October popular vote will be filtered by any electoral college type of thing.

It seems like a lot to ask of the general population; to evaluate and vote "yes/no" on a constitution.

I certainly wouldn't trust the majority of americans to judge the validity of our constitution.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 02:37 pm
rosborne,

I remember occasions where we were allowed to vote on specific amendments to the Illinois state constitution. The actual text of each amendment was mailed to all registered voters and also published in all local newspapers.

I also think it is interesting that the national assembly in charge of drafting Iraq's constitution has 85 female members. The 1787 United States Constitutional Convention was men only (as everyone knows).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 02:41 pm
Our congress is still over-represented by men, and they're the ones that have quickly passed legislation to undo the decisions made by 19 Florida judges last weekend. Our legislators in Washington DC are a laughing stock to the world.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 02:42 pm
They don't understand "priorities" if it slapped them in the face!
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 09:56 am
IRAQ CONSTITUTION UPDATE

The mostly secular Kurds and the religious Shiites have been negotiating a variety of issues in addition to the constitution. Even the Kurdish media reports that Shiites have made some promises about keeping the government secular. The deadline for completion of the new constitution is mid-August.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 02:44 pm
IRAQ CONSTITUTION UPDATE

From Radio Free Europe News:
"8 April 2005 -- Iraq's new president Jalal Talabani said today that lawmakers will meet a mid-August deadline for writing a constitution despite weeks of delay in forming a government. Ten weeks after Iraq's 30 January elections, a new government has yet to be formed. But progress was made this week with Talabani becoming president and Shi'ite leader Ibrahim Ja'afari named prime minister. Once a government is formed, writing a constitution is the next key political step on the road to new elections by end-2005."
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 01:28 pm
do you think that the US will be prematurely "kicked out" of Iraq?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 01:46 pm
hyper,

There are a lot of protestors in Iraq demanding that the U.S. leave immediately. Iraq's current interim president does not agree with the protestors. He is telling the Iraqi people that U.S. forces are needed in Iraq until the country can rebuild its security forces. News commentators believe that U.S. troops will remain another two years in Iraq.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 06:26 am
I wish i new a way that US forces could show that they are just trying to help in a way that iraqis would understand. But, I don't think that is pragmatically possible.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 01:31 pm
Quote:
Federal Germany a Model for Iraq: US Diplomat
(Reuters, April 26, 2005)
Germany's federal structure could be a model for Iraq when it starts drafting its own constitution, the senior Iraq adviser to U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said on Tuesday.
"I think Germany could potentially play a constructive role in drafting, or in helping the Iraqis draft the constitution because of your federal structure," Richard Jones told reporters during a visit to Berlin to discuss Iraq with German government officials.
"In Germany you have the 'Laender'. That is I think a model that could be a very useful model for Iraq," added Jones, who was U.S. ambassador to Kuwait until July 2004 and now coordinates Iraq policy in the State Department.
Germany is composed of 16 'Laender', or states, which have a considerable degree of independence and influence over domestic policy made in Berlin. Jones expressed confidence that a political deadlock in Iraq over the formation of a new government would end soon, allowing work on a new constitution to be completed by August 15.
He said concrete discussions on how European countries could help Iraq would likely take place at a conference in the second half of June in Brussels.
Writing a permanent constitution to replace the interim charter drawn up last year will be one of the first tasks facing the new Iraqi government. The degree of autonomy for different ethnic groups is likely to be hotly debated.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 10:22 am
Will the assassinations of the government leaders severely affect the way that the constitution is made?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 11:29 am
hyper,
I realize there have been assassinations in Iraq, but the actual leaders have now formed a cabinet that includes Shiites, Kurds, and Sunnis. The Iraqi people as a whole were very brave to even take part in the elections last January.

The new Iraqi president believes they will have a constitution drafted before the end of August. The draft will be voted on by the National Assembly and then submitted for a public referendum in October.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 01:53 pm
ohhhhh, nice aviator, that is neat!

The apathy of the American people (me included, sometimes) scares me. It is everywhere. I believe that we are once again rotating to the Epicureanist ways of the 60s and 70s. I would have hoped we could have learned from our past, but really, who cares about history? It isn't important, right?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 02:15 pm
hyper,

The situation in Iraq is very sad with people getting killed everyday. Right now, the Iraqi government's priority is to establish security for its people.

(Americans in the sixties were very concerned about issues. The seventies became the "me decade". I hope that now with the internet Americans are at least aware of the many serious issues, domestic and international.)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 03:22 am
Our domestic issues are going to pot while we spend jillions of dollars in Iraq and Afghanistan - not to mention all the added killing and maiming.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 04:13 am
c.i.

And you don't know the reason????
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 05:59 am
spendius wrote:
c.i.

Frankly, I'm not entirely sure what the real reason was, because most of the reasons seem to have been proven to be based on spurious evidence.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 06:13 am
"Never smarten up a chump!"

W.C.Fields.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 01:39 pm
spendius wrote:
c.i.

Actually, even Bush and Powell never knew the reason why we attacked Iraq. That's the reason they kept changing the justification for it. The last I heard, it had something to do with the ~Iraqi People.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 03:10 am
c.i.

Yes they did.

No it isn't.

No it isn't.

Actually it was about "going to pot".
0 Replies