Backpacking, exactly how does it work?

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 01:02 am
When I traveled last july to 2 states on central Mexico I began it would be a good idea to go by myself on a very inexpensive tour and visit as many states as possible. In order to get the most out of my trip I'm debating over taking a small backpack or a bigger suitcase.

But I don't really know how backpacking really works...

so, how does it work?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 843 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 08:59 am
I "backpacked" on two different trips - through various countries in Europe and through Great Britain and Ireland. Basically carrying a backpack is easier if you are traveling and moving from one place to another. A major key is to travel light. The downside is you will have to do laundry when you backpack, as you cannot carry as much. If you are not changing hotels, inns, B&Bs, then a suitcase would be better.

I would also suggest a backpack that has an internal frame rather than those clunky outside metals frames. The internal frames are much easier to maneuver and you don't have to worry about banging them, etc. You will be surprised how much you can fit into these backpacks. Just make sure you do not overload it as it will be heavier to carry. Also, if you plan on buying anything during your trip you should pack an extra bag; there are some that come as small as a little tiny purse and unzip to a good size bag.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 10:10 am
Joe, I stronly suggest picking up a backpackers guide. Go to any good book store and get the latest editiion for your destination. They will have all kinds of handy hints/suggestions.
Use a backpack. Get a good one that can hold a lot, and is fairly water proof.
Make sure you have all your shots, passport, visas updated. Get a good water purifier, first aid kit, mosqito net, foamy (sleeping pad), sleeping bag (you won't need a heavy weight bag). If you're going to carry food, don't bring tin cans - they're heavy...
And all good backpackers bring along stuff to trade, or give to the kids. Like flags or pins...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 10:16 am
i would certainly take a backpack. i did that for a month around europe and morocco with my sister, no problems whatsoever. not to even mention we got into a great shape and felt like 1,000000 bucks afterwards ;-) after a few days you hardly notice you're carrying something on your back. are you intending to camp at all?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 10:23 am
Lonely Planet has some good books for backpackers.

Definitely on traveling light. Some good sturdy shoes*, some jeans, a fair amount of underwear and socks, a few t-shirts, and whatever you need for warmth.

*I was at the airport recently and saw a trio of presumably European backpackers, two guys and a girl -- the girl was lugging her backpack and tripping along painfully in very chic and VERY impractical high-heeled and pointy-toed pumps.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 03:19 am
Thanks for the tips, I'll see which backpacking books I can find, I just hope I can get one here because an american book might be say things I'll not be able to do this side of the border.

I guess a backpack is a better bet since I'll be moving from city to city.

I don't intend to do any camping, I'm thinking of staying with someone in the cities I have family or friends and cheap hotels were I don't know anybody.

This, I'm hoping, will be a 'training' session for backpacking in Europe.
0 Replies