The Summer of Love, 1969 (The Hippie Thread)

kickycan

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 07:52 pm
littlek did acid? Shocked
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 07:54 pm
I wanted to do acid. But it was the 80's when I finally got up the nerve and my boyfriend told me that I was waaayyyy too late.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:06 pm
Quote:
I wanted to do acid. But it was the 80's and my boyfriend told me that I was waaayyyy too late

I hate to tell you, eoe, but you did do that acid. It is still the 80's. Your trip has been seemingly endless, but, mercifully you will soon come down. You'll then look around, see that your computer is gone, replaced by an abacus, and say, "Oh wow! What happened, man?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:10 pm
Wow.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:15 pm
I effectively missed the sixties - too young to be really there, and I started being a naughty girl late.

I so amn't complaining about the mid seventies on, though!!!!

I was way into the 60's politics, though!!!!

Pan - you are gorgeous!

A young man looking lots like that - sans mutton chops, thank god - cut my hair on Wednesday....
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:15 pm
http://www.math.ntnu.no/~hanche/april/abacus.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:17 pm
kickycan wrote:
littlek did acid? Shocked

And then some.

eoe - you can be too old?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:18 pm
Lol - NO!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:19 pm
well. I didn't THINK so.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:19 pm
Though - he may have meant it was out of fashion by then - but the kids still use it.

I liked the old magic mushrooms better, really.

In honey.

You spread the honey they had been in on toast.

The mushies don't taste good.

We used to gather them in li'l baskies in the hills - cover 'em with water cress, which grew near the best spots, in case the cops came for the picnic.....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:22 pm
I have heard that LSD is a drug that is best taken when you are young though. It has something to do with your mind and your outlook on life being more open. After a certain age (they say--whoever they is), you become more aware of your mortality and become more closed to the possibilities of acid. That's what I heard, at least.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:24 pm
What the hell are you guys talking about? Read back and see if your conversational flow makes any sense.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:26 pm
Makes sense to me. Gus, are you on acid right now?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:29 pm
In Boston, November 1965, right after the Great Blackout, there was a gathering in front of the Arlington Street Church to protest the Viet Nam War. It was freezing outside. Inside the church, speaker after speaker rose to demand an end to the conflict. I stood just inside the church door as thousands of my fellow Americans applauded and shouted and cheered for the American withdrawal from Southeast Asia.

Fast forward- April 1966, Boston. An impromptu gathering, starting with about ten guys with guitars and loud voices, left the Boston Garden and proceeded to the Common to sing. First there was about a hundred people sitting, we sang 'this land is your land' I was the only one who knew the second and third verses. Then there seemed to be a lot more people and a lot more singers and somebody did "Masters of War" and then some guy stood up and addressed the crowd about the war and the dying and the never-ending sense of it. Somebody flew a kite with a eagle on it over the crowd.

Fast forward- October 1966 Girls with hundreds of daffodils are at the street corners in the Back Bay handing out the flowers for peace. It's the first time I hear the words 'flower power', we are supposed to go to the Arlington Street Church again but there are 'do not cross' barricades at the corner of Beacon and berkeley and we hesitate for twenty minutes or so before Tony and Paul, my roommates, lift the barrier and start carrying it above their heads with the rest of the crowd behind them. We make the corner and head for the church but the scene there is chaos. Mounted police are herding people away from the church, so we make a break for the park, the Boston Garden, but they follow us and I and my 'Peace, Peace, Peace' sign are run down by three or four very red faced Boston cops. Some guy thinks I'm bleeding but we have painted flowers on our faces with mechurochrome and it's smeared.

Freeze frame: in the midst of all this is this new thing called LSD. It's free for the asking down at the corner of Brimmer Street near the Meeting House. Some guys from MIT or Harvard or somewhere are handing it out, little blue dots on sugar cubes. And marijuana, once the sole possession of jazz musicians, is appearing at every party. Everyone becomes a chemist asking how many mgs (mikes) is in the acid and whether the pot is laced with anything. Answer about 75-100 mgs in the free stuff, very nice trips with the Beatles albums or Cream, no- the pot is not laced.

Fast Forward: California June 1967 Monterey Pops Festival is an explosion of color and sound. Thousands of people in the streets openly high and happy. Bought my first window pane of acid and took it back to the USAF barracks at the DLIWCB to split it with a friend. The walls melted on the 3000 mgs in that stuff. very edgy. didn't do much of that again for awhile.

Spent the next months in Montrery, going to Language School for the USAF by day, heading downtown by night to play guitar and bump heads with the GI's from Fort Ord across the way. Motel parties every weekend and waking up naked with some of the locals on Monday.

What was your question again?

Oh yeah, we wore our beads and our paint and grew our hair down to our shoulders (once our hitch was up), we flopped around in bell bottoms and big buckled belts, embroidered shirts and peace symbols. And we were right, the war and our parents were wrong, and the times they were a'changing.

Joe( I've never trusted anyone over thirty) Nation
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:30 pm
The abacus. I never did anything except an occasional drink.Did some pot once; I felt that I was melting away. That clinched it.

I recently heard from a colleague of mine. Her daughter committed suicide. She was not meant to be, I guess. Sometimes I wonder why she is gone and I am still here.

While Buddhism and psychedelic experimentation share a common concern, the liberation of the mind, Zig Zag Zen is both a celebration, and a cautionary tale.
With a foreword by renowned Buddhist scholar Stephen Batchelor and a preface by historian of religion Huston Smith, along with numerous essays and interviews, Zig Zag Zen is a provocative and thoughtful exploration of altered states of consciousness and the potential for transformation.

Accompanying each essay is a work of visionary art selected by artist Alex Grey, such as a vividly graphic work by Robert Venosa, a contemporary thangka painting by Robert Beer, and an exercise in emptiness in the form of an enso by a 17th-century Zen abbot.

Packed with enlightening entries and art that lie outside the scope of mainstream anthologies, Zig Zag Zen offers eye-opening insights into alternate methods of inner exploration.

No, thank you.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:48 pm
Wow. my mom wasnt even old enough to attend woodstock.

I guess that makes me a young'n huh?

( psst... littlek... wanna hit? i got some dot.. ) ;-)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:49 pm
kickycan wrote:
So, nobody yet who was actually at Woodstock?

Wouldn't say "Nobody", 'zactly. What bloomed at Monterey spread across the continent, growing in two years to full flower at Woodstock, only to wither and die not quite 4 months later at Altamont , about an hour's drive from where the dream had been born. I was unable, by prior commitment, to be there for Monterey. What I remember most about Woodstock is music and mud. When I think back to Altamont, what comes to mind is dust and blood.

Quote:
Man, there were so many great bands around at that time. It must have been like heaven for music junkies.

It was.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 10:06 pm
I'm Edgar's age... I was 25 in '67, or for most of it. I was out of school and working at the lab, which I mostly loved doing. I wasn't happy about the war. I think I smoked my first pot in '66, with some girl friends, nurses who had gotten some at the hospital. We put towels under the doors, heh.

Never did try acid, on purpose anyway. I did have some laced pot once, from Arnie who lived in the Cloud Room... have no idea what it was laced with... (that was '73), when I was just renting a small art studio in a building by the beach and still had an apartment in Westwood. I had just broken up with the 'love of my life' - literally, I had just come upstairs after he drove off - and met Arnie at the top of the stairs. Took the joint and weirded out all by myself in the nearly empty room.

Not long after that I moved to a larger space in the building. Didn't see much of Arnie, come to think of it, but made friends with a bunch of other folks there. My claim to fame is that one of the Kipper Kids borrowed one of my lipsticks before a show at the place downstairs.
Kipper Kids

This might inspire me to get my scanner in action.

AHA - that Kipper Kid link mentions The St. Charles Hotel, that was my building. Quite a place. It had been fixed up by a couple of guys, Tom Sewell and Roger Webster, from a flophouse to art rental spaces (sort of).
Once I actually quit my apartment and moved in there it was a step to, ah, some other steps, including renting an old Eagles' Lodge space. But when I first slept overnight in my loft at the St. Charles, I would hear glass breaking and F-yous loud in the alley beneath my window... yipes.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 10:22 pm
I smoked my first pot in .... in ..... uhhhhhh.......

mmmmmmmm ......

Huh? Oh .... yeah ... what was I sayin'?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 10:32 pm
More on Venice in the Seventies -
http://able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39461
0 Replies