Flower Power

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2015 02:01 pm
I was never a hippie. Never utilized the Flower Power. I was on the same side of the spectrum, sort of. But, I knew, even then, a lot of participants were not politically savvy or committed to any sustainable movements. They were in it: 1.) for fun; 2) because of peer pressure; and, 3) because they did not want to be plowed under by the machinery of a senseless war.

I became a participant in the Peace Movement, not exclusively a hippie thing. Immediately after Kent State, I saw the movement dry up, all but the Vietnam Veterans Against the War. We went from there, inexorably, to what we have now, which is the antithesis of the Peace Movement. As soon as Lyndon Johnson left office, the peace guys were being overruled anyway, by Nixon and his ilk. Kent state showed people did not have to go to 'Nam, to get plowed under.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 986 • Replies: 1
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2015 02:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm from the just-before-that generation. I liked San Francisco for it's great stores and wonderful houses and swell small places to eat.. back when I was nineteen, circa '61. By hippie time, I was working full time and going to school for art classes at night two days a week and doing art homework for a bunch of years.

On the other hand, I was always against us and Vietnam, early, via my father's strong take against it, with whom I agreed on many things. I wasn't a marcher, though I did later stand with the Women in Black, re Iraq. I gradually got into local politics by virtue of the engagement of the people in our Venice neighborhood, a feisty part of old LA (much of the old time venice has disappeared in recent years), and was engaged in local politics again when I moved to the Eureka/Arcata area. People in both places who were part of our neighborhood goings on became assemblywomen in the California state legislature, and one became the CA Secretary of State sometime later. I bring them up when people bash all politicians - not every time they do, but once in a while. I knew two genuinely good people who acted morally.

I married a guy who has put together political plays to show in community theater. No wonder I'm not wealthy.. We're long time ex spouses now, but still talk several times a year. Just yesterday, actually. He thinks Trump hasn't a chance in hell.

On marijuana, I've never been against it, still am for it, haven't smoked it in 40 years. On the other hand, I might like to grow some to make good brownies in my future.

Hippie clothing? Not much, though I've tended to like bangles and beads and earrings; sometimes swirly skirts or various hats. Always have liked sandals.

Peace, man. And, woman.
On present stuff, I want peace to happen but am mentally roiled by exactly how, am in a listening mode.
0 Replies