Iron removal. Act Carbon and Manganese combined in 1 filter???

Sat 5 Aug, 2017 09:43 am
Would very much appreciate some feedback on some well water treatment issues.

We have a whole home treatment system consisting of 1) small plastic sediment filter 2) large standing stainless filter containing both activated carbon (top) combined with Manganese Greensand (bottom) in one unit 3) large stainless filter containing Ion Resin. Then treated water tank and pressure pump.

I’m not certain the advice we have received is correct, particularly in combining the activated carbon and Manganese in one filter. We have a problem with occasionally having very black water seem to be flushed out, particularly after power outages when the pressure pump tank gets completely emptied. This black contaminate seems to accumulate in there and possibly pipes as well. It looks like little bits floating in the water in such a concentration that it is very black. I suspect this is activated carbon residue caused by the softer act carbon being broken up by the harder Greensand, I’ve come across 1 or 2 posts that says combining these is not advisable, but not certain as this is how we were directed to set up our system.

Our Iron level in the water is 0.5 mg/l, I think regularly this should be below 0.3mg/l. We have the water softener which I understand may be effective in treating this. We’ve had a water test, the iron is being treated but I don't know how much by the Manganese and how much by the Resin, and I don't have a reading on the water hardness.

I’m considering taking out the Manganese and just using Act Carbon in one stainless filter and Ion Resin in the other, and relying on the resin to eliminate the Iron content. Another reason for taking out the Manganese is that we are not regenerating it, just regular backflowing (we do regenerate the Ion Resin with salt). Would that work? Am I likely to get staining at that Iron level if we are using the softener?

Thank you very much for any advice you can give!

Mike
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 5,522 • Replies: 4
Topic Closed
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 5 Aug, 2017 03:41 pm
@Mike Water,
Try to find farmerman. He's a genius at these things. Good luck.
Mike Water

Sun 6 Aug, 2017 04:27 am
@cicerone imposter,
Thank you for your advice cicerone imposter. I will try to figure out how to direct this to him and ask if he would be kind enough to comment. Thank you!
Mike Water

Sun 6 Aug, 2017 04:35 am
@Mike Water,
@Farmerman
You are recommended as an expert in these matters. Have tagged you to ask if could share any thoughts on my water filter configuration and issues, I would be most appreciative. Thank you!
0 Replies

AFWFilters

Mon 15 Jan, 2018 09:31 am
@Mike Water,
The softener itself should take care of that low of iron. The Greensand system would be doing no good if it isn't regenerating anyway. You will want to increase your hardness setting on your control valve to compensate for the iron. Typical plumbing order would be pressure tank and then any filters, softeners, etc.
0 Replies