Ok...so called Music lovers

Booman

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 09:51 am
Beedlesqouink, (I'm sure there's a great story behind that moniker :wink: )
...I agree with you about the Beetles, But how can you mention so many influential genre crossers' without mentioning, Stevie Wonder? You hear him in R&B, Hip-Hop,Jazz, on elevators, everywhere! He defies catoragorizing. How many of the guys you mentioned, a)Have written spirituals, b)Do the music, and lyrics by themself c) Have 20 Grammies?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 10:15 am
I'm with you, Booman - Stevie Wonder's a genius!
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 10:45 am
Ahhh so true Boo. The wonderful Wonder! Did you know that there are just as many Stevie Wonder songs sitting on the shelf unreleased as he has released.
Entire albums he produced and put on hold... you gotta wonder about the gems in that trove, eh?

While we're at genre crossing: Ray Charles. Before Charly Pride, he had multiple platinum country hits. Soul, jazz, pop, novelty tunes... his music covers all the bases...
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 11:08 am
I forgot to say...WELCOME BEEDLESQOUINK!....

...You're obviously a man of great knowledge and taste. :wink: Ray Charles is another favorite of mine. and since you're going to mention genre-crossing singers, how about Jackie Wilson? I've heard him do, R&B, Rock & Roll, Blues, Country, Pop, Jazz, Spirituals, Gospel, and Opera! Shocked You may have heard about his rendition of an irish classic "Danny Boy"?
...Oh yeah, a lot of the great ones are prolific as well. Last I heard Ellington, (another pretty fair composer Rolling Eyes ) had writtin over 10,000 tunes.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 12:08 pm
You are the sunshine of my life,
That's why I'll always stay around.
You are the apple of my eye,
Forever you'll stay in my heart

(bridge)
I know that this is the beginning,
But I've loved you for a million years.
And if I thought our love was ending.
I find myself drowning in my own tears.

(repeat chorus)

(second bridge)
You must have know that I was lonely,
Because you came to my rescue,
And I know this must be heaven.
How could so much love be inside of you.

(Repeat chorus and fade out)

Beedle, don't you think that it's time you revealed all? Razz
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 04:57 pm
booman
I agree with your assessment of those artists. I have a particular fondness for Jackie Wilson, who could go from a shouting tune like "Am I the Man?" to a beautiful rendition of "Night" and then on to something blue, like "The Tear of the Year."
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 06:38 pm
Reveal all? Letty, you make it sound like I am some kind of guru, or a hot dog vendor who can make you one with everything... if you mean revealing that I am a song writer of sorts, well then... there, I just did it. I confess to it! I am a genre jumping songwriter who has remained stubbornly unfound by the giant professional world. I persist against the odds friends, and don't intend to quit any time soon.

I've played everything from western swing to reggae to classical, with even a stint in a Tibetan singing sowl ensemble just to keep things properly cryptic. This is why I prefer the songwriters who thumb nose at commercial convention and all resisters of drab market oriented confomity. My last project was a rather simple and underproduced album of cowboy songs, Butterfly, my current projects are a far more modern (sometimes even futuristic) album called Oort Cloud and a retrospective of all my best recordings from over the years called Waltz With the Widow. Samples of my newest work will shortly (within days) be posted at my web site rubbadukki.com. That's all you'll get from me immediately in this thread by way of self-promotion.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 06:52 pm
Kids, can you say eclectic?

Oh c'mon BQ...what's the story behind your moniker? Confused
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 07:06 pm
Well now Boo, it's like this. I used to be a fellow over at the moribund zone called abuzz. There the moniker was HereComesEverybody. Somewhere along the line I ran afoul of the self appointed censors who have worked so hard to make that site the unpleasantness that it has become. (Bless their little pointy heads...) Their nastiness caused me to become too serious and I felt, one day that the Joycean HCE screen name was part of the heaviness I wished to shed.

So I entered a cocoon and emerged in the form of one Squeedleboink, lighter of heart and somewhat shorter of syllables. Here the plot thickens, the result of two parts web log-in logistics and a three parts processed guanates. I joined able2know as Squeedleboink, but somehow the log-ins weren't working. I tried a few other names and Beedlesquoink was among them. It was the magic key to this friendly kingdom, and the rest, as they say, is history.

You see, there's an explanation for everything.

And, oh yes, Jackie Wilson is high on my personal list.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 07:20 pm
I remember HCE. ...No commonplace names for you. Thank s for indulging my curiosity.
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 09:09 pm
Delighted to serve, and delighted to be in the company of a fellow Big Appleonean.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 02:01 pm
Raggedyaggie wrote:
Letty: You've just got to hear this. Gloomy Sunday was originally an Hungarian song, words by Laszlo Javor, and publicized as the "suicide song." The story was circulated that numerous disappointed lovers in Hungary took their own lives by jumping off bridges after hearing the song. When the song was published in the U.S. in 1936 with English words by Sam M. Lewis, music, Rezso Seress, some radio stations banned it, fearing the same results. Paul Robeson recorded it in England (I'd love to hear that recording) and Paul Whiteman, Henry King, and Vincent Lopez also recorded it, among others, but the best-seller was by Billie Holiday in 1941. The book I'm reading from says Ironically, the composer committed suicide in 1968. I guess it is referring to the guy who wrote the music, Rezso Seress.

I was using Search to see what posts on this board had mentioned Paul Robeson thus far - I was listening to some Robeson mp3s now, and I love his voice, his soul - and funny enough came upon this post of Raggedyaggie's.

Funny because I didnt know Robeson had recorded Gloomy Sunday, but I did know all about that song - dedicated a post in my weblog thread to a site wholly devoted to that song, and to related info I wandered to from there. Check it out.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 02:23 pm
Shocked Good grief, nimh. Imagine my surprise to get an update on this old thread.

Raggedy be the researcher of the year, and you just tied with her.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 09:28 pm
Letty<

Old threads can start anew.

Robeson was a true musical genius.

Happy Holidays Exclamation
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:56 am
WilliamHenry, it's great to see you! I need to do some more research on Robeson. Wouldn't he make a great subject for a movie?

I cheated on this one, WilliamHenry, but........................:

Big wheels keep on turning
Carry me home to see my kin
Singing songs about the Southland
I miss Alabamy once again
And I think its a sin, yes
Well I heard mister Young sing about her
Well, I heard ole Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A Southern man don't need him around anyhow

Sweet home Alabama
Where the skies are so blue
Sweet Home Alabama
Lord, I'm coming home to you

In Birmingham they love the governor
Now we all did what we could do
Now Watergate does not bother me
Does your conscience bother you?
Tell the truth

Sweet home Alabama
Sweet Home Alabama
Here I come Alabama

Now Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers
And they've been known to pick a song or two
Lord they get me off so much
They pick me up when I'm feeling blue
Now how about you?

Sweet home Alabama
Sweet Home Alabama

Sweet home Alabama
Oh sweet home baby
And the governor's true
Sweet Home Alabama
Lordy
Yea, yea Montgomery's got the answer

Duchess Music/Hustlers Inc. - BMI
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 12:41 pm
Hey, all. I had no idea so many people recorded "Gloomy Sunday". Check it out:

http://www.angelfire.com/ks/gloomysunday/serENG3.html
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 04:04 pm
Good link, cool, interesting new bits of the story.

Here's that post I linked to before, btw, it's got a good link to a lot of info:

nimh wrote:
A "Gloomy Sunday", in Budapest & <snip>

[..] I don't remember when I first read about it, but I must already have been on Budapest's Castle Hill several times when I did. The Hungarian song "Szomoru Vasarnap" (or "Gloomy Sunday") came in stories before I ever got to hear the tune.

The first story concerned the prestigious restaurant near the Fisherman's Bastion, where tout Budapest came to drink and dance in the 19thirties (probably where the Hilton is now). Noblemen and beautiful women danced under the lights in the late evening as the orchestra played. But one song no gypsy band was allowed to play anymore: "Gloomy Sunday". The thing was - the song was so sad, so evocative of immediate despair, that every time the band played that song, a young nobleman would, in a grand gesture of weltschmerz, jump off the cliffs of Castle Hill. And it was getting out of hand.

I do remember retelling that story at a Debrecen University Hungarian language course. And a fellow student immediately chipped in with an anecdote of her own. Apparently, she said, Hungarian Army command, in late 1943 or 1944, sent out an order to all troops. At no point in time, the order read, was it allowed for any unit to ask musicians to play "Gloomy Sunday". Too many majors and colonels were spontaneously driven to suicide, shooting themselves as the tune died off, and this was starting to have a detrimental impact on the already exacerbating military situation.

All nonsense, tales from cuckoo-land? Think again. Hungarians may be genetically or culturally inclined to suicide (the country having led the world suicide statistics for decades until, it seems, a few years ago), but when American musicians came to translate the song into English, the BBC and other major radio networks quickly banned it, too, "deem[ing] it too depressing for the airwaves", as this excellent tiny little website, devoted all to "Gloomy Sunday", notes.

The site features the lyrics of the English song, made famous by Billy Holiday and others, but also those of the original Hungarian version, in its native language and in translation. There were different versions, even, of that one, as the poet László Jávor penned new lyrics and, later, a third stanza was added in order to take the sharpest edges off of the original's impact - in vain, it should be noted.

There's also a fascinating (though wholly apocriphical) essay about the song's history. It is noted how even an instrumental version turned out to do no less harm, and how - of course - the author of the original killed himself, too - after the girl he had been so broken-hearted about when he wrote the song, committed suicide herself, the words "Gloomy Sunday" scribbled on a note next to her.

Another essay the website copies from elsewhere notes the debates about how come the famed/notorious record suicide rates of Hungarians. This has been discussed in all seriousness by academics too. (I remember reading an in-depth article for my studies but I can't find it back). Interesting is that the rate actually went down during the worst years of Stalinism, only to rise up again when terror was replaced by overwhelming ennui, peaking in 1983. "Since the beginning of the official registration, Hungary has been the country with the highest suicide rates in Europe (it not in the World)", this International Academy For Suicide Research paper reminds us, but in post-communist times, it's been overtaken by Russia, Byelorus and all three Baltic states, as well as (according to 2000 WHO data) the Ukraine. Actually, Z. Rihmer of the Hungarian National Institute for Psychiatry and Neurology writes here that the rate's actually gone down by 30% since 1984, even though "other former Communist countries showed either no substantial change or a marked increase in their suicide rates".

To end with anecdotes again: the problem truly has appeared throughout the ages. Budapest's famous Chain Bridge was constructed in 1849 under the supervision of Scottish engineer Adam Clark. But one historical anecdote I was told by a teacher, once, focused on his Hungarian assistant. He was a perfectionist, as any look at the bridge will show you. On the day of the opening, he made the last rounds to check if everything was in working order. It was then that he discovered that the lions proudly guarding the bridge - had no tongues. (It's true - go look for yourself). He froze in terror at the discovery - and threw himself off of his bridge.

Then again, according to the Rough Guide Hungary, "for one woman in Kaposvar, the final straw was when Bobby died in the Dallas series".
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 04:12 pm
uhoh, nimh, sorry. I didn't realize that "check it out" was a link...sheeeeze. Can you believe that someone would do themselves in over a silly TV series?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 04:51 pm
hhmmmm ... well, over a really really bad TV series perhaps ;-)
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 12:57 pm
Letty<

Thanks for "Sweet Home Alabama!"
0 Replies