TOP TEN CHEESIEST MOVIE LINES

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:25 pm
The Top Ten Popcorniest Movie Lines

LONDON - Actor Leonardo DiCaprio's "Titanic" declaration "I'm the king of the world!" has been voted the cheesiest line in modern movie history, according to a survey of 2,000 moviegoers.Patrick Swayze's famous line in "Dirty Dancing" - "Nobody puts Baby in the corner" - came in second in the survey, conducted by the BBC.

And "Is it still raining? I hadn't noticed," uttered by Andie MacDowell at the end of "Four Weddings and a Funeral," was placed third by the Brits questioned.

Swayze makes another unenviable appearance at fourth place in "Ghost." "I love you," co-star Demi Moore says, to which Swayze replies: "Ditto."

"Top Gun" landed in fifth for the moment Val Kilmer tells Tom Cruise: "You can be my wing man anytime."

Julia Roberts' line from "Notting Hill" - "I'm just a girl standing in front of a boy asking him to love her" - was voted sixth.

Bill Pullman is seventh, as the U.S. President vowing to fight off alien invasion: "Today we celebrate our Independence Day."

Eighth went to Mel Gibson's "Braveheart" declaration: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our freedom!"

Renee Zellweger was ninth on the list for the line in "Jerry Maguire" when she says to Tom Cruise: "You had me at hello."

And a line delivered by Kevin Costner in his flop "The Postman" rounds off the top 10.

"You're a godsend, a savior," a blind woman tells him. "No," he replies. "I'm a postman."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Call me a hopeless romantic, but I thought "You had me at hello" in Jerry McGuire was great. And, I thought the Braveheart line was completely in context. What do those Brits know, anyways? Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,732 • Replies: 40
No top replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 04:46 am
virtually anything said by John Wayne
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:35 am
I didn't think the Jerry Maguire line was all that "cheesy", either.
I was surprised not to see anything from Star Wars Episodes I or II on there. In both movies, any time Anakin Skywalker or Natalie Portman's character open their mouths I grit my teeth.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 10:24 am
John Wayne's line as the Centurion perched on a hill at the end of "The Greatest Story Ever Told" has to be the cheesiest. "Truly this Man was the Son of God." Maybe not as much in the dialogue as in the wooden delivery. Many of the lines chosen don't appear cheesy until taken out of context in the film.

I agree about the mundane scripting in "Star Wars" I and II. It's protected by not having any stand out line from all that prosaic, dull conversation. Cheesy lines mostly do appear in what are basically good films where the screenwriter is tempted to insert something silly the character would say in a situation, meaning to make them appear more human but obviously they can stand out as a really lame line. The oxymoron of the "Braveheart" line is the funniest.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 10:25 am
"Love means you never have to say you're sorry."

Hands down the cheesiest line and the biggest lie.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 10:27 am
I don't think the Braveheart thing was cheesy at all. That was the whole point of the Scots fight. They knew they were going to lose but they didn't care because no matter what, no one can take what's inside of you. They were referring to the freedom of the soul and the freedom to believe in what ever you want. The Scots were almost always outnumbered but it was the principle of the thing.
0 Replies

lexi199

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 04:53 pm
what no "it's quite to quiet" ?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 05:48 pm
In the quiet of death one quite has their freedom?
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 11:56 am
The corniest line in cinematic history was spoken by Bill Pullman in that Turkey to end all Turkey's Independance Day, when he was talking to the alien and he said "what do you want us to do" so that the alien could reply DIE if there has ever been a more mind numbing piece of tripe than this then please post it here, we all need a laugh.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 03:26 pm
I wouldn't call "Independence Day" the worst turkey -- there's been thousands of worst films, most of them starring Ahnold Schwatzenegger, our Governator. "The End of Days," for instance is a far worse film than ID. There are also so many mind numbingly dumb lines in "The Postman," I've never been able to get past the first reel.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 04:00 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
There are also so many mind numbingly dumb lines in "The Postman," I've never been able to get past the first reel.

I can't argue with that Mr Wizard, that was a king size turkey, although ID had it's share of vomit inducing moments, like when Dennis Quaid gave his life for the good of mankind. YUUUKK
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 04:12 pm
I didn't see it but I've heard that "Battlefield Earth" was the biggest turkey ever.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 04:54 pm
ID4 was not ashamed of even kidding itself -- if anyone takes it seriously and tries to approach it as anything more than a conscious updated of 1950 alien invasion movies with state-of-the-art special effects they're going to be dissapointed. On the big screen it was a hoot even with the lame dialogue, like a roller coaster ride is fun despite the fact that it's taking advantage of our thrill of speed (where some get back on the freeway and don't shake off that they're no longer on the coaster).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 04:54 pm
boom, "Battlefield Earth" would out-turkey any other film in the past twenty years. It truly smells.
0 Replies

pink thespian13

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 10:36 pm
I thought the Notting Hill quote was beautiful
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 10:45 pm
Arnie in Conan The Barbarian (to evil James Earl Jones): "You killed my mother! You killed my father! You took my father's sword! Now I will have my rewenge!" (intentional misspelling)
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 06:18 am
End sequence of Total Recall:

Arnie: I've just thought - what if this is all still a dream?
Girl: Well you'd better kiss me quick before we wake up...

Cheese, cheese, cheese...
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 02:20 pm
"I see dead people"? Laughing
It's funny how after the movie, I hear it more from people...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 05:51 pm
Laughing In reference to?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 06:15 pm
I think the cheesiest line I've ever heard in a movie, but unfortunately I don't recall the movie, was where the hero takes the lady in his arms and as he leans down to kiss her he says in a husky voice, "Your eyes are like mountain pools"
0 Replies