Can we ever be completely satisfied?

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 05:44 pm
Can we ever be completely satisfied?

Even if we got everything we could possibly want, everything we could possibly imagine we want. Would we be completely satisified?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,697 • Replies: 46
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 05:51 pm
I don't think it is possible. I think it is human nature to always strive for more; maybe its more things or maybe its to be a better person or a smarter person or whatever.

However, I do think it is possible to be content.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:01 pm
General populous? No.
Individually? Yes.
I think it could be possible albeit not very probable. And I'd have to break that down categorically as well. Having everything I want or could imagine wanting materially or having everything I want or could imagine wanting on the deeper, inner level bringing satisfaction to heart and mind.

For some I think the second follows the first. For me, inner satisfaction is much more rewarding and complete. I'm not much of a material girl.

That's a tough one to answer, Etruscia....
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:10 pm
Yeah, honestly i think complete satisfaction is unnatainable. Although, it is satisfying to know there will always be a desire to create something new which can satisfy us.

Lady J: I guesd you don't take after Madonna then.
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:14 pm
Anyone read "How Much Land Does A Man Need?" It's Tolstoy.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:36 pm
Etruscia wrote:
Yeah, honestly i think complete satisfaction is unnatainable. Although, it is satisfying to know there will always be a desire to create something new which can satisfy us.

Lady J: I guesd you don't take after Madonna then.

I may be living in a material world, but I refuse to take part! Smile
Actually, I've been there, lost every material possession I ever had in the world, save the clothes on my back basically. It was a good time to take stock internally on what was important in life and I decided it sure wasn't just a bunch of "stuff"
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:39 pm
Lucifer wrote:
Anyone read "How Much Land Does A Man Need?" It's Tolstoy.

Not yet, but I know it is on my "to read" list! Next year, my life should be more settled and I can take more time for me and the pursuits that interest me...like more reading!!
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:39 pm
I understand. To be honest, i like to balance the inner and outer stuff. Things are pretty awesome sometimes Eg. Snowmobiles, Nice Cars

but it is ultimately the relationships you have are what define your satisfaction,.
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:43 pm
Well, at least I can tell you that on a scale of value among "A Rose for Emily", "Rocking-Horse Winner" and "How Much Land Does A Man Need?", the latter short story wins (sorry, D.H. Lawrence).
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:46 pm
Etruscia wrote:
I understand. To be honest, i like to balance the inner and outer stuff. Things are pretty awesome sometimes Eg. Snowmobiles, Nice Cars

but it is ultimately the relationships you have are what define your satisfaction,.

Yes, I guess it is not really what you have that matters, but what you do with it. I've never been snowmobiling, but it sounds like a lot of fun! Smile

And yes, I agree with your last statement very much with my own twist on it. The world does not define who I am, but I define what my world is. My own self is the only real thing I can control anyway. Smile
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:48 pm
Well you may not have complete control over anything else, but everything you do has a distinct effect on everything else.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:54 pm
Lucifer wrote:
Well, at least I can tell you that on a scale of value among "A Rose for Emily", "Rocking-Horse Winner" and "How Much Land Does A Man Need?", the latter short story wins (sorry, D.H. Lawrence).

I'm certain D.H. will forgive you. Smile It appears you are a well read scholar as well as a gentle man, Lucifer. I may have to rethink that sadistic streak in you. Smile

Edited because I made a fubar in spelling! Moi? Smile
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 07:00 pm
Etruscia wrote:
Well you may not have complete control over anything else, but everything you do has a distinct effect on everything else.

True, choices and the chain of events that follow. I take complete accountability for the choices I make now. Not always the case in my wilder days when I went through that brief passage of time called growing up and I think we all felt at sometime, quite immortal. Confused
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 07:03 pm
Yeah, but there are still a lot of things I haven't read. That's what I get for being holed up in hell, torturing people. So much for sadistic hobbies.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 07:05 pm
Lucifer wrote:
Yeah, but there are still a lot of things I haven't read. That's what I get for being holed up in hell, torturing people. So much for sadistic hobbies.

But are you enjoying yourself? Smile
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 07:09 pm
Im actually in the growing phase myself, 16.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 07:15 pm
Etruscia wrote:
Im actually in the growing phase myself, 16.

Well, my...yes you are! I never would have guessed that by your posts. I knew you were a student, but I surmised "college". You have a good head on your shoulders, Etruscia. A smart man with very much to look forward to in life. Smile
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 07:19 pm
What an encouraging post. Very Happy That actually put a smile on my face.
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 07:19 pm
Of course! As long as I've got plenty of victims, the fun never ends. That's sadism for you.

By the way, I should also compliment you for being a nice lady. Your username goes well with that image too.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 07:26 pm
Etruscia wrote:
What an encouraging post. Very Happy That actually put a smile on my face.

And I must say, that smile looks darn good on you! Smile
0 Replies