[closed]Getting Logged Out

hingehead

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 04:17 pm
Mine was immediate. I'd log in, then look at 'your posts' select one, compose a reply and then get prompted to login again - under 30 secs.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 04:33 pm
hingehead wrote:
Mine was immediate. I'd log in, then look at 'your posts' select one, compose a reply and then get prompted to login again - under 30 secs.

I had that keep happening on some other forum. Solution: copy your posts before posting, and if you get prompted to log in again, just paste and submit.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:34 pm
In terms of usability, that's a fail.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:36 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
hingehead wrote:
Walter - are you using auto login?

Yes.

That's why you can't see the problem - it only happens if you don't.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:44 pm
I'm on auto log-in. The problem seemed to have resolved itself until about a week ago. Then it started up again - with a real vengeance a couple of days ago.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:53 pm
This thread has been closed - does that mean it's been fixed?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 08:19 pm
No, the tags are just a way for us to keep track of the issues.

What you guys are reporting might not have anything to do with Able2Know. I don't know yet and may not ever know (it's not always possible for me to diagnose connectivity errors remotely, when it can be for a variety of reasons).

I mark it closed because I am aware of it and will look into it when I have time.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 09:39 pm
Thanks Craven

How does A2K track a session without cookies? Session ID? Can't see any reason ISP-wise how that would suddenly become a problem.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 10:54 pm
There are a number of reasons it can become a problem due to the ISP's actions.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 11:04 pm
I only mentioned it because I've had the same problem through three different ISPs this week.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 03:16 am
I have audited the site relentlessly, and everything seems to be working. I have browsed the site for a few days without cookies and saw no problems.

Since I can't deplicate the issues reported here and because this problem is only affecting specific users I need the following information (if you don't know anything please ask people on the computer or internet forums to help you find out):

ISP:
ISP type (i.e. dial up etc):
IP type (i.e. static etc):
OS (i.e Windows XP, Linux etc):
Browser:
Browser cookie settings:
Browser Toolbars/plugins used:
Do you access www.able2know.com or able2know.com
Do you check the "remember me" on login:
Do you browse with multiple windows:
Does the problem occur when you use your back button:
How many users are online when you get logged off:
How many minutes between page loads is typical for you:
What firewall, AV, and internet security/privacy software and settings do you use (some can interfere with internet activity)?
When did you start seeing this problem?

A rewrite of some code is coming, and I'll tackle this afterward if I get enough information to try to determine if this is an A2K bug or normal internet activity.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 11:41 pm
Craven, it hasn't happened since you posted what you needed to know, and I haven't changed the way I use A2K. Consider it absolutely closed.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 11:42 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 02:23 pm
Nothing had changed on A2K's end...

<shrugs>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:13 pm
I've had the problem before, then did not have the problem for some time, but just now it happened to me again a few times in a row. In fact, the problem seems to come and go, popping up its head at unpredictable times.

The problem, specifically:

1) I am not on auto-login (dont want to)

2) So I log in when I start A2K'ing, go to "Your Posts", works fine

3) Click on a thread, click reply - works fine, I get the reply window - write something, click submit - am send back to the login page.

4) I login, am sent back to the compose-post window - but in the process (obviously) lost my post.

Since this problem comes and goes, I've started to instinctively press ctrl-a/ctrl-c whenever I'm about to click "submit", so I can paste my post back into the compose window if it goes wrong again. Except sometimes I forget, and lose what I'd written.

The problem doesn't exclusively occur upon hitting "submit" - it seems to happen at random times. Eg, I will click "Your Posts", it works, I click on a thread, get it - but without the quick reply thing at the bottom, and if I click "reply" to any post I'm sent to login even before getting the compose window.

My computer is set to accept cookies (obviously, since 80% of the time the site does work).

In a sec I'll attempt to answer Craven's list of questions. But in short it looks like I have the same problem as the other posters in this thread had (except for eBeth, who, it sounds to me, has a different problem).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:15 pm
I just had it again too.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:15 pm
And again!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:17 pm
It also happened to me about 5 times today. Also happened back earlier this month when others were remarking about it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:32 pm
OK, perhaps this'll help, I'm gonna try answer Cravens Qs (altho I'm really bad at this kinda thing & it makes me feel like an utter digibete Razz). Answers in red, obviously.

Quote:
ISP:
Wanadoo
ISP type (i.e. dial up etc):
cable
IP type (i.e. static etc):
?
OS (i.e Windows XP, Linux etc):
Windows 98
Browser:
IE 6.0
Browser cookie settings:
My privacy settings are "medium", that is:
- Blocks third-party cookies that do not have a compact privacy policy
- Blocks third-party cookies that use personally identifiable information without your implicit consent
- Restricts first-party cookies that use personally identifiable information without implicit consent
BUT
under "web sites", where you can "override cookie handling for individual Web sites", I have set "always allow" for able2know.com

Browser Toolbars/plugins used:
?
Do you access www.able2know.com or able2know.com
www.able2know.com
Do you check the "remember me" on login:
no
Do you browse with multiple windows:
yes
Does the problem occur when you use your back button:
Dunno. Not that I can remember ...
How many users are online when you get logged off:
Well, it happened a couple of times about half an hour - an hour ago, and right now there's 368 members online. (368! Damn. I'm impressed.)
How many minutes between page loads is typical for you:
?
What firewall, AV, and internet security/privacy software and settings do you use (some can interfere with internet activity)?
No firewall (home computer), otherwise - not sure? Is "AV" audio-visual? I had Media Jukebox and Winamp on ...
When did you start seeing this problem?
Long time ago (a year or so?) - just seems to come and go
A rewrite of some code is coming, and I'll tackle this afterward if I get enough information to try to determine if this is an A2K bug or normal internet activity.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:40 pm
I'm just wondering - in general, also - if we continue posting on a thread thats already marked as [closed] - you know, like here, b/c the problem simply propped up again - then is Craven (c.s.) ever going to know?
0 Replies