Material shortened

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 12:57 pm
I have been sewing for 40 years and this problem has never happened to me before. I do not know what to do.

I am making draperies using brocade. I carefully measured each panel to be 61" in length before I cut. After cutting each panel I then put a 1/2" seam along the side seams to finish them. Now those side seams are only 59" in length and the middle of the panels are still 61" in length. What did I do wrong and how do I correct it.

Any assistance you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 578 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Magus

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 09:38 pm
The Presser Foot and the thread tension combine to compress the fabric a small percentage... a stretchier thread would help some.
What to do...
rip out those seams, then press the "wrong" side of the fabric flat, using heavy starch (to give the fabric additional "body"), then fold it over and press again. Then re-stitch.
When you re-stitch, make certain that the thread tension and the pressure on the Presser foot are as light as possible while still capable of doing the job. Since there will be no real wear-and-tear on that stitching/hem, you don't need a "heavy duty" stitch... a looser stitch should not be a problem.

And, If at first you don't succeed...
0 Replies

Witty Lady

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 09:50 pm
Thank you so very much for your response. That is what I thought might have been the problem, but I wanted to hear it from someone else as well.

I apppreciate your help and look forward to tearing out all 12 seams. Lol.

Thank you again.
0 Replies