Bose Suspencion

Pitter

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 08:06 am
So what's up with the new electromagnetic shock absorbers desinged by Amar Bose? Will they reach the market soon and be able to be retrofitted? They sound (no pun intended) spectacular.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,308 • Replies: 9
No top replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 08:54 pm
Suspension
This is the latest innovation in suspension systems, invented by BoseĀ®. The idea is that instead of springs and shock absorbers on each corner of the car, a single liner electromagnetic motor and power amplifier can be used instead.
Inside the linear electromagnetic motor are magnets and coils of wire. When electrical power is applied to the coils, the motor retracts and extends, creating motion between the wheel and car body. It's like the electromagnetic effect used to propel some newer rollercoaster cars on launch, or if you're into videogames and sci-fi, it's like a railgun.
One of the big advantages of an electromagnetic approach is speed. The linear electromagnetic motor responds quickly enough to counter the effects of bumps and potholes, thus allowing it to perform the actions previously reserved for shock absorbers.
In it's second mode of operation, the system can be used to counter body roll by stiffening the suspension in corners. As well as these functions, it can also be used to raise and lower ride height dynamically. So you could drop the car down low for motorway cruising, but raise it up for the pot-hole ridden city streets. It's all very clever.
The power amplifier delivers electrical power to the motor in response to signals from the control algorithms. These mathematical algorithms have been developed over 24 years of research. They operate by observing sensor measurements taken from around the car and sending commands to the power amps installed with each linear motor. The goal of the control algorithms is to allow the car to glide smoothly over roads and to eliminate roll and pitch during driving.
The amplifiers themselves are based on switching amplification technologies pioneered by Dr. Bose at MIT in the early 1960s. The really smart thing about the power amps is that they are regenerative. So for example, when the suspension encounters a pothole, power is used to extend the motor and isolate the vehicle's occupants from the disturbance. On the far side of the pothole, the motor operates as a generator and returns power back through the amplifier. By doing this, the BoseĀ® system requires less than a third of the power of a typical vehicle's air conditioner system. Clever, eh?

Bose have also managed to package this little wonder of technology into a two-point harness - ie it basically needs two bolts to attach it to your vehicle and that's it. It's a pretty compact design, not much bigger than a normal shock absorber.

Pitter, I'm also fascinated by the new Bose shock absorbers. The material aove is a quote, I didn't write it, but I thought it might help to further understand these shocks. One journalist wrote that he was given a demonstration of the shocks. He was driving and was told to drive into a curb. He said the ensuing wheel breaker turned out to be more like a modest bump. As for after market applications, what I've read is they would cost thousands for all four wheels. I would like to hear more about them.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 06:18 am
"thousands for all four wheels" Well that sounds like some tire and wheel sets for exotic cars. The Boise shocks sound like they'd be ideal for a luxury SUV used on rough terain.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 12:18 pm
I got the estimate for retro-fitting: About $2,000.
Also adds 200 lbs. to the car.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 08:19 pm
With the roads I have to drive on I'd pay it gladly!
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 08:45 pm
WHAT? One of the most futuristic developments of the automobile and nary a whisper. The new Bose suspension system is an incredible, ingenious, unique, development for the automobile.

No arguments?
Opinions?
Comments?

Wake up! I want to hear other reactions.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 09:14 pm
and it has great bass response without that muffly sound
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:07 pm
Farmerman,

Almost everyone I bring up the new Bose
suspension system, says "you mean Bosch.)
No, I mean Bose.

"Maybe your dream car has an 11-speaker Bose entertainment system in the cabin. Well, the next performance car of your dreams could have a Bose suspension system under the sheet metal. Seriously. The Framingham, Massachusetts, company best known for audio systems and speakers, has developed a revolutionary computer-controlled suspension system that replaces the traditional shocks and springs with electronic actuators. The result is a ride that's absolutely flat over the bumpiest of roads and around sharp corners.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:24 pm
I do have a Bose asystem in my one truck and its a beaut. I love all kinds of music , loud and full response. I only wish I could have a 33 rpm turntable cause Cd's just dont cut it .

Id like a railgun out my front grille for some of the __holes that I tailgate at 95.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:20 am
Billy exactly my point. This sounds like the most stunning automotive developement since gasoline engines and there's hardly a peep anywhere.
0 Replies