Something came off of my window, can someone help identify what it is?

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2017 10:38 pm

My window has been working somewhat "tight" over the past few months and a few days ago, something came loose from behind the window. It was making the window unusable, so I straightened out a metal clothes hanger and managed to pull it out.

Before I took it out, I imagined it would be a rubber material that kept the outside air from flowing through. However, it turned out to be a long plastic material.

Like the title says, I'm wondering what this is, and if it is something I should replace ASAP. Thank you!!

I'm sorry if the picture isn't enough to tell clearly. It was rather difficult to take a clear picture of something so long and white. Both the following pictures should be linked to the full image.


Here is a picture of my window and the arrow points to the area where the plastic bar came out from. It came out from behind the top(?) part of the window panel that slides up and down.
Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 06:22 am
What is the measurement of that piece? and of your windows?
0 Replies
Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 06:47 am
This piece, having come partially detached, would have been the cause of the window binding. It's function will likely be to prevent air exchange between outside and in (if the window now still has resistance against a fast drop comparable to you other windows, the piece will definitely be draft prevention). Depending on your local climate, you may suffer some minimal increase in heating/cooling costs, but that's likely to be your only concern. You could light a candle or something else that produces smoke and determine if this window has more air disturbance than another similar window. Depending on the particular design of your windows, you might be able to remove the lower sliding half by lifting it up a foot or so, then pushing it over to one side (don't use a lever, just your hands). That would allow you to replace the strip. If you can't do that and if you are concerned re drafts, then you can call in a window company. But that will cost you and may not be worth the expense.
0 Replies

Related Topics

  1. Forums
  2. » Something came off of my window, can someone help identify what it is?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/16/2024 at 06:48:56