Mobile Home Neighborhood Sewer Problem

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 10:28 am
Yesterday, the cleanout hole cover to my neighbor's sewer line popped off. We could tell it was due to a clog in the main line, because water flowed out of the line, even though nobody was using any water. I flushed my toilet a few times and the water surged out her pipe line. The sewer crew arrived around eleven PM and worked until two, accomplishing nothing, other than to confirm they could not snake it from the manhole and solve the problem.

This morning I looked into the hole where they used the auger and saw that the lines are ordinary 4" pipes. I would have expected 12 or larger. Eventually, they gave up looking for anymore manhole covers. I had already told them that, it being a mobile home park, there likely were none. Soon they sent for a camera, which rather quickly discovered for them a crushed portion of the line near the spot it connects to the neighbor's line. Waiting now for a repair crew to dig it up. My cable TV line is right there. I hope they are careful to spare it.

Sturgis

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 10:49 am
@edgarblythe,
I wish you the best.

My plumbing horror came last Thursday. The tub drain was slowed to a trickle. The guy shows up at 9 tried snake, took the connector pipe from the sink off at the wall, tried the snake there.

Nothing.

Smashed a large hole in the floor and noted the drain pipe connects to another spot and then makes a turned and on and on before arriving at the shared main drain with the front apartment. About 2 in the afternoon he finally got it fixed with a new tubway drain. It drains better than I think it ever did.

One big problem is the hole in the floor (about 1 foot by 1 foot and about 10 inches deep). The plumber covered it with a hard plastic sheeting and duct taped it down. I'm now in the long wait for the alleged super to repair the space. He looked at it last Friday, said he'd ee back this week...I'm still waiting. WOL is running out of time.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 10:52 am
@edgarblythe,
Your OP and Stur's response above confirming, Ed, my contention that the sewer and plumbing folk aren't terribly bright, our toilet refill mech having failed this morning owing to the corrosion of iron connecting hardware; while black marks in the bowl are attributable to old scratches from a bare metallic snake, colored by the use of a black plunger that also turns inside out and regularly comes apart in various ways
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 01:27 pm
They came to dig up the line. They being a separate company from the one that came first. When there was no representative of the sewer company there to instruct them they drove away. This, after my neighbor showed them a stick in the grass, stuck in there to mark the spot. That was thirty minutes ago. I have vowed to dig it up myself, in about a half hour, unless I get assurances they will be back today.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 01:53 pm
They came back. All is well?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 05:42 pm
As they were digging, I lost internet and TV for an hour. Now they are back. Those poor guys still are gigging, because there is so much crap in the way.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 07:33 pm
They got it did, all but filling in the dirt. I hope they can do that without shaking up the cable line again.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 10:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
Glad they got it done. Here's hoping they get it filled in faster than the dang hole in my bathroom floor...yeah, WOL didn't show up today either.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2017 11:27 pm
@Sturgis,
I'll be back re my own stuff, re neighbor crew building a wall over the drain access. I had told her about that, didn't mind a wall but keep the drain, and I take it she didn't understand and went ahead.

Should I sell, I will disclose this... not to go on and on, I have designed a lot of drainage in my day.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 04:28 am
They pulled one hell of a tree root out of the pipe where my neighbor's and my lines meet the main line. They were able to put a metal clamp over the pipe without removing the whole piece. There is such a spaghetti bowl of lines running through there, it was a minor miracle they got it done that quickly.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 04:50 am
@edgarblythe,
The main line turned out to be 8" after all.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2017 11:58 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
8" after all

Ed thus they're not quite so dumb after all
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:35 pm
@dalehileman,
It's not a question of knowing the best way it is to be done, but skimping to save money, as is the usual way in mobile home parks and many new subdivisions. I have been on construction projects in which plumbers cut out flooring joists to save time, roofers shingled right over nails and piles of sawdust because they felt sweeping cost too much time, walls were purposely left leaning, and so on. One of my bosses once pointed out to me a worker who was doing a neat methodical job. He said, "If he were working for me I would teach him to be sloppy." Got to make that money.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanks Ed you've again made my week. Incidentally I wonder if yo've read some of my recent submissions regarding software glitches; sometimes they disappear for no apparent reason, in just a minute or two....as if some TAATANE Mgr recently hired has come to hate me
0 Replies