WA2K Radio is now on the air

msolga

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 08:31 pm
(Just dropping by to wish the fabulous Ms Letty a wonderful 2006! It's going to be a good one for you, I can tell! Very Happy )

OK, please continue ........
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 08:35 pm
Cream ~ I Feel Free

Bomb, bomb, bomb, ba, bomb, bomb
Bomb, bomb, bomb, ba, bomb, bomb

Feel when I dance with you,
We move like the sea.
You, you're all I want to know.
I feel free, I feel free, I feel free.

I can walk down the street, there's no one there
Though the pavements are one huge crowd.
I can drive down the road; my eyes don't see,
Though my mind wants to cry out loud.

I can walk down the street, there's no one there
Though the pavements are one huge crowd.
I can drive down the road; my eyes don't see,
Though my mind wants to cry out loud,
Though my mind wants to cry out loud.

Dance floor is like the sea,
Ceiling is the sky.
You're the sun and as you shine on me,
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 12:21 am
A Guid New Year to ane an' a'

A guid new year to ane an' a'
An' mony may ye see,
An' during a' the years to come,
O happy may ye be.
An' may ye ne'er hae cause to mourn,
To sigh or shed a tear;
To ane an' a' baith great an' sma'
A hearty guid New year.

Chorus
A guid New Year to ane an' a'
An' mony may ye see,
An' during a' the years to come,
O happy may ye be.

-Scottish song for today.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 04:16 am
New Year's Day
U2

Yeah...
All is quiet on New Year's Day
A world in white gets underway
I want to be with you
Be with you night and day
Nothing changes on New Year's Day
On New Year's Day

I will be with you again
I will be with you again

Under a blood red sky
A crowd has gathered in black and white
Arms entwined, the chosen few
The newspapers says, says
Say it's true it's true...
And we can break through
Though torn in two
We can be one

I...I will begin again
I...I will begin again

Oh...
Maybe the time is right
Oh...maybe tonight...

I will be with you again
I will be with you again

And so we're told this is the golden age
And gold is the reason for the wars we wage
Though I want to be with you
Be with you night and day
Nothing changes
On New Year's Day

The New Year
Death Cab For Cutie

so this is the new year.
and i don't feel any different.
the clanking of crystal
explosions off in the distance (in the distance).

so this is the new year
and I have no resolutions
for self assigned penance
for problems with easy solutions

so everybody put your best suit or dress on
let's make believe that we are wealthy for just this once
lighting firecrackers off on the front lawn
as thirty dialogues bleed into one

i wish the world was flat like the old days
then i could travel just by folding a map
no more airplanes, or speedtrains, or freeways
there'd be no distance that can hold us back.

there'd be no distance that could hold us back (x2)

so this is the new year (x4)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 07:39 am
Good Morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

First, let me say to dj that I did miss his answer. Sorry, Canada. It must have been the merlot. <smile>

It is so nice having Imur and Sublime with us, folks. Thanks, guys, for the songs.

McTag, a wonderful New Year's Day greeting. Thanks, Brit. (incidentally, I got your joke about Ceylon)

MsOlga. Big hugs to you, honey, and don't be such a stranger to our studio, Ozzie.

I don't know about you, but I prefer my bomb to be liked baked Alaska.

Back later, folks, after coffee.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:26 am
Are you ready for this, listeners?

The top song of the '90's was:

The breath of the morning
I keep forgetting
The smell of the warm summer air
I live in a town where you can't smell a thing
You watch your feet for cracks in the pavement
And up above aliens hover making home movies for the folks back home
Of all these weird creatures who lock up their spirits
Drill holes in themselves and live for their secrets

They're all uptight
Uptight
Uptight
Uptight
Uptight
Uptight

I wish that they'd swoop down in a country lane
Late at night when I'm driving
Take me onboard that beautiful ship
Show me the worlds I'd love to see
I'd tell all my friends but they never believe me
They'd think that I've finally lost it completely
I show them the stars and the meaning of life, they'd shut me away but I'd be all right all right
I'm just uptight
Uptight
Uptight
Uptight
Uptight

Radiohead.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 10:25 am
I am an old woman named after my mother
My old man is another child that's grown old
If dreams were lightning thunder was desire
This old house would have burnt down a long time ago

Make me an angel that flies from montgom'ry
Make me a poster of an old rodeo
Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
To believe in this living is just a hard way to go

When I was a young girl well, I had me a cowboy
He weren't much to look at, just free rambling man
But that was a long time and no matter how I try
The years just flow by like a broken down dam.

There's flies in the kitchen I can hear 'em there buzzing
And I ain't done nothing since I woke up today.
How the hell can a person go to work in the morning
And come home in the evening and have nothing to say.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 10:36 am
Ah, dys. That song is just not you, honey. Nothing to say?

lyrics
Hall & Oates

[say it]

[say it isn't so]

[say it]

[say it isn't so]

Say it isn't so painful to tell me that you're dissatisfied.

Last time i asked you i really got a lame excuse.

I know that you lied.

Now wicked things can happen...you see 'em goin' down in war.

But when you play in a quiet way that bites it even more.

Laughing
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:25 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:28 am
Edward Morgan Forster (January 1, 1879 - June 7, 1970) was an English novelist, short story writer, and essayist.

Life

Born in London, the son of an architect, he was to have been named Henry but was baptised Edward by accident. He attended Tonbridge School in Kent. At King's College, Cambridge in 1901, he became involved with a group known as the Apostles (formally named the Cambridge Conversazione Society). Many of its members went on to constitute what came to be known as the Bloomsbury group. Forster also associated with Siegfried Sassoon, J. R. Ackerley, and Forrest Reid.

He travelled in Egypt, Germany and India with classicist G.L. Dickinson in 1914. During a journey to the East in the winter of 1916-17, he met in Ramleh a tram conductor, Mohammed el-Adl, a youth of seventeen whith whom he fell in love and who was to become one of the principal inspirations for his literary work. Mohammed died of tuberculosis in Alexandria in spring of 1922. After this loss, Forster was driven to keep the memory of the youth alive, and attempted to do so in the form of a book-length letter, preserved at King's College, Cambridge. The letter begins with a quote, "Good-night, my lad, for nought's eternal; No league of ours, for sure." and concludes with the acknowledgement that the task of thus ressurecting their love is impossible. He died in Coventry.

Key themes

Forster's views as a secular humanist are at the heart of his work, which often features characters attempting to understand each other, in the words of Forster's famous epigraph, across social barriers. His humanist views are expressed in the non-fictional essay "What I Believe".

Forster's two most noted works, A Passage to India and Howards End, explore the irreconcilability of class differences. Although considered by some to have less serious literary weight, A Room with a View is also notable as his most widely read and accessible work, remaining popular for the near century since its original publication. His Maurice, unpublished during his lifetime, explores the possibility of reconciling class differences as part of a homosexual relationship.

Sexuality is another key theme in Forster's works and it has been argued that Forster's writing can be characterized as progressing from heterosexual love to homosexual love.The foreword to Maurice expresses his struggle with his own homosexuality, while similar themes were explored in several volumes of homosexual-themed short stories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._M._Forster
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:31 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:33 am
Xavier Cugat
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Xavier Cugat (January 1, 1900 - October 27, 1990) was a Catalan-Cuban bandleader who many consider to have had more to do with the infusion of Latin music into United States popular music than any other musician. Desi Arnaz and Perez Prado followed in Cugat's footsteps.

Cugat was born Francisco de Asis Javier Cugat Mingall de Bru y Deulofeo in Girona, Spain. With his family, he immigrated to Cuba when he was five. He trained as a classical violinist and played with the Orchestra of the Teatro Nacional in Havana.

Sometime between 1915 and 1918, Cugat moved to New York, where he played with a band called "The Gigolos" during the tango craze. Later, he went to work for the Los Angeles Times as a cartoonist (Cugat's caricatures were later nationally syndicated).

In the late 1920s, sound began to be used in movies, he put together another tango band that had some success in early short musical films. By the early 1930s, he began appearing with his group in feature films. Cugat took his band to New York to open the new Waldorf Astoria Hotel and it became the hotel's resident group.

He shuttled between New York and Los Angeles for most of the next thirty years, alternating hotel and radio dates with movie appearances.

In 1940, he recorded the song Perfidia with singer Miguelito Valdes which became a big hit. Cugat followed trends closely, making records for the conga, the mambo, the cha-cha-cha, and the twist when each were in fashion. He married salsa dancer Charo on August 7, 1966; the two were the first couple to marry in the newly opened Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.

Cugat did not lose sleep over artistic compromises: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve."

Cugat died of heart failure at age 90 in Barcelona in his native Catalonia, Spain.

The song Perfidia features on the cult album Spacelines, a compilation of influences on the band Spacemen 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavier_Cugat
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:34 am
Dana Andrews

Dana Andrews (January 1, 1909 - December 17, 1992) was an American actor. He was born in Covington County, Mississippi, one of 13 children of a a Baptist minister. The family subsequently moved to Texas, where they settled in Huntsville. Andrews attended college there and also studied business administration in Houston.

In 1931 Andrews went to Los Angeles, California seeking opportunities as a singer. He worked at various jobs to earn his living, including pumping gas at a filling station in Van Nuys. One of his employers believed in him and paid for his studies in opera and also at the Pasadena Playhouse, a prestigious theater and acting school. Andrews later signed a contract with Samuel Goldwyn and nine years after arriving in Los Angeles was offered his first movie role in William Wyler's The Westerner (1940) which starred Gary Cooper.

Andrews' role in the 1943 movie adaptation of The Ox-Bow Incident with Henry Fonda is often cited as his most memorable. His appearances in the 1944 film Laura with Gene Tierney and the 1946 film The Best Years Of Our Lives, co-starring Fredric March and Myrna Loy made him a star but his popularity was fleeting. Save for a few exceptions like Elephant Walk (with Elizabeth Taylor and Peter Finch) he was unable to build on his early successes. Most of his later films were not commercial or critical successes and he drifted into supporting roles and character parts in B-movies. Andrews suffered from alcoholism, reportedly beginning in the 1940s, and was one of the first celebrities to do a public service announcement for AA.

In 1963 Andrews was elected president of the Screen Actors Guild.

Andrews married Janet Murray in 1931, but she died in 1935 following the birth of their son (their son died in 1964). He married actress Mary Todd in 1939 (they had a son and two daughters). Andrews suffered from Alzheimer's disease in later life and in 1992 died from heart failure in Los Alamitos, California.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Andrews
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:36 am
J. D. Salinger

Jerome David Salinger (born January 1, 1919) is an American author best known for The Catcher in the Rye, a classic coming-of-age novel that has enjoyed enduring popularity since its publication in 1951. A major theme in Salinger's work is the agile and powerful mind of disturbed young men, and the redemptive capacity of children in the lives of such men.

Salinger is also known for his reclusive nature because he has not given an interview, made a public appearance or published any new work in the last forty years.

Life

Salinger was born in New York City to a Jewish father and an Irish Catholic mother (although he did not find out that his mother wasn't Jewish until he was in his late teens). His father Sol was a meat importer; as a teenager Sonny, as he was known then, went on a trip to Poland to see the family business first-hand. His revulsion led to an estrangement with his father, whom he rarely spoke to as an adult. He attended Valley Forge Military Academy in Pennsylvania, upon which Pencey Prep in The Catcher in the Rye is based.

While attending Ursinus College in Collegeville, Pennsylvania, Salinger was called "the worst English student in the history of the College" by one of his professors. Having failed to graduate from several schools, Salinger attended a Columbia University writing class in 1939. The teacher was Whit Burnett, longtime editor of Story Magazine, and during the second semester of the class he saw some degree of talent in the young author. In the March-April 1940 issue of Story Burnett published Salinger's debut short story, a vignette of several aimless youths entitled The Young Folks. Burnett and Salinger would correspond for several years after, although a mix-up involving the proposed publication of a short story collection, also entitled The Young Folks, would leave them estranged.

He served in the Army during World War II, where he saw combat action with the U.S. 4th Infantry Division in some of the fiercest fighting of the war. This perhaps scarred him emotionally (he was hospitalized for combat stress reaction), and it is likely that he drew upon his wartime experiences in several stories, such as For Esmé with Love and Squalor, which is narrated by a traumatized soldier. He continued to publish stories in magazines such as Collier's and the Saturday Evening Post during and after his war experience.

By 1948, with the publication of a critically-acclaimed short story entitled A Perfect Day for Bananafish, Salinger began to publish almost exclusively in the New Yorker, a magazine he greatly admired. "Bananafish" was one of the most popular stories ever published in the magazine, and he quickly became one of their best-known authors. However, it wasn't his first experience with the magazine; in 1942 Salinger had received his first acceptance from the New Yorker. It was for a story entitled "Slight Rebellion off Madison", which featured a semi-autobiographical character named Holden Caulfield. The story, however, was held from publication until 1946 because of the war. The story was related to several others featuring the Caulfield family, but perspective shifted from older brother Vince to Holden.

Salinger had confided to several people that he felt Holden deserved a novel, and The Catcher in the Rye was published in 1951. It was an immediate success, although early critical reactions were mixed. Although never confirmed by Salinger himself, several of the events in the novel are semi-autobiographical. A novel driven by the nuanced, intricate character of Holden, the plot is quite simple. The book became famous for Salinger's extensive and exceptional eye for subtle complexity, detail, and description, for its ironic humor, and for the depressing and desperate atmosphere of New York City. The novel was banned in some countries because of its bold and offensive use of language; "goddam" appears at least every other page. The book is still widely read, particularly in the United States, where it is considered an especially authoritative depiction of teenage angst. It is not unusual to see Catcher in the Rye on a "required reading" list for American high school students.

In 1953 Salinger published a collection of seven short stories published in the New Yorker (Bananafish among them), as well as two that they had rejected. The collection was published as Nine Stories in the United States, and For Esmé -- With Love and Squalor in the UK (after one of the most beloved stories.) It was also very successful, although Salinger had already begun to tightly regulate the publicity allowed the book, and the decoration of the dust jacket.

Salinger later published Franny and Zooey (1961) and Raise High the Roof-Beam, Carpenters and Seymour -- An Introduction which appeared in 1963). Both were compilations of related short stories, originally published in the New Yorker.

Seclusion

After the notoriety of The Catcher in the Rye, Salinger gradually withdrew into himself. In 1953 he moved from New York to Cornish, New Hampshire. Early in his time in Cornish he was relatively sociable, particularly with the high school kids who treated him as one of their own. After an interview for the high school newspaper ended up in the city paper instead, he withdrew from them entirely and was seen less frequently around the town as a whole, only seeing his close friend jurist Learned Hand regularly. According to biographer Ian Hamilton this event left Salinger feeling betrayed. His last published work was Hapworth 16, 1924, an epistolary novella that was published in the New Yorker in June, 1965. It's said that, on several occasions in the 1970s, he was on the verge of publishing another work but decided against it at the last minute. In 1978 it was reported in Newsweek that, while attending a banquet in an army friend's honor, he said he had recently finished "a long, romantic book set in World War II", but nothing ever became of it.

Salinger tried to escape public exposure and attention as much as possible ("A writer's feelings of anonymity-obscurity are the second most valuable property on loan to him", he wrote.) But he constantly struggled with the unwanted attention he got as a cult figure. On learning of British writer Ian Hamilton's intention to publish J. D. Salinger: A Writing Life, a biography including letters Salinger had written to other authors and friends, Salinger sued to stop the book's publication. The book was finally published with the letters' contents paraphrased; the court ruled that though a person may own a letter physically, the language within it belongs to the author.

An unintended result of the lawsuit was that many details of Salinger's private life, including that he had written two novels and many stories but left them unpublished, became public in the form of court transcripts.

He has been a life long student of Advaita Vedanta Hinduism. This has been described at length by Som P. Ranchan in his book An Adventure in Vedanta: J.D. Salinger's the Glass Family (1990). His daughter said in 2000 that he at one time pursued Scientology. [1]

In a surprising move, Salinger gave small publisher Orchises Press permission to publish Hapworth 16, 1924, a previously uncollected novella; it was to be published in 1997, and listings for it appeared on Amazon.com and other book-sellers. However, the date was pushed back a number of times, and its last publication date was set in 2002.

In 2000 his daughter, Margaret Salinger, by his second wife Claire Douglas, published Dream Catcher: A Memoir. In her "tell-all" book, Ms. Salinger stated that her father drank his own urine, spoke in tongues, rarely had sex with her mother, kept her "a virtual prisoner" and refused to allow her to see friends or relatives.

He is the father of actor Matt Salinger, most famous for starring in a direct-to-video version of Captain America.

Salinger himself refuses to allow any of his works to be involved with film; he has not licensed any of his stories or novels since Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut (released as My Foolish Heart), which he reportedly detested.

A year-long affair in 1972 with eighteen-year old aspiring writer Joyce Maynard also became the source of controversy when she put his letters to her up for auction. Software developer Peter Norton bought the letters for $156,000 and announced his intention to return them to Salinger.

In 2002, more than 80 letters from writers, critics and fans to Mr. Salinger were published in the book Letters to J. D. Salinger, edited by Chris Kubica.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._D._Salinger
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:39 am
Campbell Glenn Lyrics - Hand That Rocks The Cradle

He got here red and wrinkled, scared and crying
and she took him up and held him to her breast
and he sure was glad to get what mama offered
and he went to sleep and put his fears to rest

There ought to be a hall of fame for mamas
Creation's most unique and precious pearl
And Heaven help us always to remember
That the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world

She taught him all the attributes of greatness
That she knew he couldn't learn away from home
And by the time she wore the cover off her bible
Her hair was gray and her little man was gone

There ought to be a hall of fame for mamas
Creation's most unique and precious pearl
And Heaven help us always to remember
That the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:40 am
I don't hold with all the words to that song, but I like listening to it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 11:52 am
hey, Boston Bob AKA A2K hawkman. Thanks for all the bios, buddy.(this must be my alliteration day, listeners)

Ah, Salinger. Another book banned in Boston. <smile>

Figure this one out, folks:

If a body meets a body,
Catch her in the rye.
Razz

You know, edgar. I never heard that song by Glen, but almost all of his I really like.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 12:02 pm
Just passing through...so much to digest, but so alive.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 12:09 pm
Well, Maple. Why not request a song, Georgia. <smile>

Hey, buddy. I played Maple on the Hill for ya, already.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 12:43 pm
The Maple Leaf Forever

In Days of yore,
From Britain's shore
Wolfe the dauntless hero came
And planted firm Britannia's flag
On Canada's fair domain.
Here may it wave,
Our boast, our pride
And joined in love together,