WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:12 pm
dj, you made me laugh. What's with that quote at the bottom of your talking heads? Laughing

Don't worry, FCC. We're just reading it silently.

Thanks, for the song and the home message, buddy.

Wonder if the Europeans are asleep, folks? Some of them fellers and gals have been known to party all night long.(not to mention us 'mericans)

I thought that this evening would be difficult for me. Somehow, it hasn't been, thanks to all of you who participate and play and sing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:14 pm
Oh all the money that in my whole life I did spend,
Be it mine right or wrongfully,
I let it slip gladly past the hands of my friends
To tie up the time most forcefully.
But the bottles are done,
We've killed each one
And the table's full and overflowed.
And the corner sign
Says it's closing time,
So I'll bid farewell and be down the road.

Oh ev'ry girl that ever l've touched,
I did not do it harmfully.
And ev'ry girl that ever I've hurt,
I did not do it knowin'ly.
But to remain as friends
You need the time to make amends and stay behind.
And since my feet are now fast
And point away from the past,
I'll bid farewell and be down the line.

Oh ev'ry foe that ever I faced,
The cause was there before we came.
And ev'ry cause that ever I fought,
I fought it full without regret or shame.
But the dark does die
As the curtain is drawn and somebody's eyes
Must meet the dawn.
And if I see the day
I'd only have to stay,
So I'll bid farewell in the night and be gone.

Oh, ev'ry thought that's strung a knot in my mind,
I might go insane if it couldn't be sprung.
But it's not to stand naked under unknowin' eyes,
It's for myself and my friends my stories are sung.
But the time ain't tall,
If on time you depend and the word is possessed
By no special friend.
And though the line is cut,
It ain't quite the end,
I'll just bill farewell till we meet again.

Oh a false clock tries to tick out my time
To disgrace, distract, and bother me.
And the dirt of gossip blows into my face,
And the dust of rumors covers me.
But if the arrow is straight
And the point is slick,
It can pierce through the dust no matter how thick.
So I'll make my stand
And remain as I am
And bid farewell and not give a damn.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:15 pm
B Dylan Restless Farewell
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:16 pm
my avatar is a picture of the dj/producer/musician fatboy slim (aka norman cook), and my sig is the lyrics to his song "star 69"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:17 pm
Not familiar with the fat boy.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:22 pm
ah, edgar. Thanks for the B.D. It seems that you know them all, Texas.

Well, dj, honey. Just as edgar, the only fat boy I know is one of a duo that wasn't so nice as your Norman Cook.

Can you guess the duo, listeners?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:23 pm
no probably not

Fatboy Slim
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
(Redirected from Norman Cook)

Fatboy Slim (born on July 16, 1963, Quentin Leo Cook) also known as Norman Cook is a British musician in the dance music genre. His style is known as big beat, a combination of hip hop, breakbeat, rock, and rhythm and blues. He stopped using 'Quentin' and began calling himself 'Norman' long before he adopted any other pseudonym.

History

Cook grew up in Reigate, Surrey, and was educated at Reigate Grammar School. He started a punk fanzine as a teenager and at sixth-form college met Paul Heaton. At 18, Cook went to university to study a BA in English, Politics and Sociology. Although he had begun DJing some years before, it was at this time that he began to develop his skills on the thriving Brighton club scene. In 1985 he was diverted by a call from his old friend, Paul Heaton. Heaton had moved to Hull and had formed a guitar band called The Housemartins.

The Housemartins' bassist had just quit on the eve of their first national tour and, although Cook had lost interest in the rock scene and could barely play a musical instrument, he agreed to move to Hull to join them. The band soon had a hit single with "Happy Hour". They also reached number one just before Christmas 1986 with a version of "Caravan of Love". However, by 1988 they had split up. Heaton and the band's drummer Dave Hemingway went on to form The Beautiful South, while Cook moved back to Brighton to pursue his interest in the style of music he preferred. It was at this time that he first started working with young studio engineer Simon Thornton, with whom he continues to make records. All Cook's records released from that point onwards have involved both of them to varying degrees (Thornton is credited in 2004 as "Executive Producer" for example).

Cook formed Beats International, a loose confederation of studio musicians including vocalists Lindy Layton and Lester Noel, rapper MC Wildski, and keyboardist Andy Boucher. Their first album, Let Them Eat Bingo (included the Number 1 single, "Dub Be Good to Me"). "Dub Be Good To Me" caused a legal dispute revolving around allegations of infringement of copyright through the liberal use of unauthorised samples: the bassline was a note-for-note lift from The Clash's "The Guns Of Brixton" and the song also borrowed heavily from the S.O.S. Band's "Just Be Good To Me". The 1991 follow-up album Excursion on the Version, an exploration of dub and reggae rhythms, failed to repeat the success of its predecessor.

Cook then formed Freakpower, with horn player and singer Ashley Slater. The duo released their debut album, Drive Thru Booty, in 1994, which contained the single "Turn On Tune In Cop Out". The cut was picked up by the Levi's company for use in a multimillion-dollar ad campaign.

In 1995, Cook enlisted help from producer friends Tim Jeffery and JC Reid to create a solo album, Pizzaman. The album featured one track ("Happiness") that was picked up by the Del Monte Foods corporation for use in a UK fruit juice ad. In 1996, Cook then re-joined Ashley Slater for the second Freakpower album, titled Everything for Everybody.

Later that same year, Cook adopted the alter-ego pseudonym Fatboy Slim and began frequenting the Brighton club The Big Beat Boutique. While DJing at the club, Cook befriended the Chemical Brothers, who suggested that he work on his own material instead of merely DJing.

The Fatboy Slim album Better Living Through Chemistry (released through Skint Records) marked Cook's emergence into the big time. Filled with retro samples and funk-laden grooves, the album was among the first in the then-new big beat sound. It also spawned one Top 40 UK hit, "Everybody Needs a 303". After Cook's remix of Cornershop's "Brimful of Asha" topped the charts, such musical heavy hitters as Madonna and U2 asked him to produce for them.

Fatboy Slim's next work was the single "The Rockafeller Skank" which was released prior to the album You've Come a Long Way, Baby, both of which came out in 1998 to rave reviews. This album also produced the single "Praise You", which also became a major dance hit, giving Cook his first UK solo number one. Its video, directed by Spike Jonze, won numerous awards. Further Fatboy Slim works have appeared in movies, television series, and more ads.

Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars was released in 2000 and featured two collaborations with Macy Gray. It also included "Sunset (Bird of Prey)", a slower tempo piece based around a sample of Jim Morrison from The Doors, and "Weapon of Choice", which also boasted an award-winning video starring Christopher Walken.

Cook was recently awarded a star on the city of Brighton's Walk of Fame, next to that of Winston Churchill. He married TV personality Zoƫ Ball in 1999; the couple have one son named Woody. Cook is also a minority owner of the football club he has supported since moving to Brighton in the late 80's, Brighton & Hove Albion.

In 2002, Q magazine named Fatboy Slim in their list of the 50 Bands to See Before You Die.

In January 2003, Cook and his wife underwent a very public break-up, but three months later, they were reconciled.

In 2004, Cook released two remixes in June and July, based on Max Sedgley's "Happy" and "Follow Me Follow Me (Quem Que Caguetou)" by Black Alien & Speed. The latter, a Hip Hop hit from Brazil, became popular in europe after having appeared on the Nissan X-Trail advert (portraying a more extreme type of marathon). Fatboy Slim's remix was then used in the advert itself. His first album in four years, Palookaville, was also announced in July. Cook's next studio album was confirmed for release on 4th October in the UK (Skint records) and 5th October for the US (Astralwerks). In the UK, Radio 1 received an exclusive play of the first single "Slash Dot Dash", while in the US "The Joker" (a collaboration with Bootsy Collins) had been exclusively aired. The song was appearing on the radio and was made quickly available on iTunes months ahead of the album release.

Palookaville represented a significant shift in style for Cook, with a reduction in the traditional Fatboy Slim reliance on vocal loops, and the introduction of real instruments (Cook himself plays bass on some of the album's tracks, with Simon Thornton playing various other instruments, along with various guests, e.g. Justin Robertson) and more conventional song structures. More "traditional" Fatboy Slim tracks such as "Jin Go Lo Ba" coexist with full-length vocal tracks such as a rendition of the Steve Miller Band's "The Joker". The album also features many more vocal collaborations, including with rapper Lateef and Brighton-based band Johnny Quality.

In 2005, his 2004 hit single "Wonderful Night" was placed on Konami's Dance Dance Revolution Extreme 2 for PlayStation 2.

In October 2005 Fatboy Slim and Talking Heads singer David Byrne revealed their plans for a musical about Imelda Marcos, the controversial ex-First Lady of the Philipines (during the notorious dictatorship of her husband, the Marcos family stole billions of dollars from that country's treasury) . It is set to premier at Australia's Adelaide Festival of Arts in March 2006
[edit]

Bands & Pseudonyms

* The Housemartins
* Beats International
* Freakpower
* Pizzaman

[edit]

Discography
[edit]

Albums

* Pizzaman (1995) pre-Fatboy Slim moniker
* Better Living Through Chemistry (1996)
* On the Floor at the Boutique (Live) (1998)
* You've Come a Long Way, Baby (1998)
* Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars (2000)
* Live on Brighton Beach (Live) (2002)
* Big Beach Boutique II (Live) (2002)
* My Game (Live) (2002)
* Palookaville (2004)

[edit]

Hit singles

* 1997 "Everybody Needs a 303" #34 UK
* 1998 "The Rockafeller Skank" #6 UK
* 1998 "Gangster Trippin'" #3 UK
* 1999 "Praise You" #1 UK, #36 US
* 1999 "Right Here Right Now" #2 UK
* 1999 "Badder Badder Schwing" (Freddy Fresh feat. Fatboy Slim) #34 UK
* 2000 "Sunset (Bird of Prey)" #9 UK
* 2001 "Demons" (feat. Macy Gray) #16 UK
* 2001 "Star 69" / "Weapon of Choice" #10 UK
* 2001 "A Song for Shelter" / "Ya Mama" #30 UK
* 2004 "Slash Dot Dash" #12 UK
* 2004 "Wonderful Night" #59 UK
* 2005 "The Joker" #32 UK
* 2005 "Don't Let The Man Get You Down" - Didn't Chart
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:24 pm
Guess I need a hint, unless somebody else knows it.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:26 pm
In 1945 the United States covert operation known as The Manhattan Project achieved its goal - to create the first atomic bomb. Since its inception in 1939, scientist had struggled to find a way to harness the power of fission. Through the combined efforts of many, a test bomb known as "Fat Boy" was finally created. On July 16, 1945 in a desert in New Mexico the worlds first nuclear test, codenamed Trinity, was conducted and ushered in the Atomic Age. The Trinity test success led to the creation of two more atomic bombs that would be used in WWII.

On August 6, 1945 the American B-29 bomber known as the Enola Gay released the first atomic bomb to be used in warfare. The 9,000 pound bomb nicknamed "Little Boy" detonated in Hiroshima, Japan. "Little Boy's" explosion was catastrophic and resulted in 66 thousand instantanous deaths. Total vaporization from the blast measured one half a mile in diameter. Total destruction ranged one mile in diameter and serious blazes extended as far as three miles in diameter.

Three days after the release of "Little Boy" a second bomb named "Fat Man" was released on the town of Nagasaki. "Fat Man" weighed 10,000 pounds and annihilated nearly half of the city. In one split-second, the population of Nagasaki dropped from 422,000 to 383,000. As astonishing as this seems, scientist estimate that both "Little Boy" and "Fat Man" only utilized 1/10th of 1 percent of their explosive capabilities.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:30 pm
In response to a request from Letty, who asked that I submit an Irish song to WA2K,here are some nonsense lyrics from Irish folk legend, Christy Moore: Happy New Year y'all.

DON'T FORGET YOUR SHOVEL

Don't forget your shovel if you want to go to work.
Oh don't forget your shovel if you want to go to work.
Don't forget your shovel if you want to go to work
Or you'll end up where you came from like the rest of us

Digging, digging, digging. Ow di liddle do.

And don't forget your shoes and socks and shirt and tie and all.
Don't forget your shoes and socks and shirt and tie and all.
Mr Murphy's afraid you'll make a claim if you take a fall.
How's it goin' - Not too bad - Ow di liddle do.

And we want to go to heaven but we're always diggin' holes.
We want to go to heaven but we're always diggin' holes.
Yeah we want to go to heaven but we're always diggin' holes.
Well there's one thing you can say - we know where we are going.
Any chance of a start* - No - OK - Ow di liddle do.

And if you want to do it - don't you do it again the wall.
If you want to do it - don't you do it again the wall.
Never seen a toilet on a building site at all.
There's a shed up in the corner where they won't see you at all.
Mind your sandwiches.

Enoch Powell will give us a job, diggin' our way to Annascaul.
And when we're finished diggin' there they'll close the hole and all

Now there's six thousand five hundred and fifty-nine Paddies
over there in London all trying to dig their way back to Annascaul
and very few of them boys is going to get back at all

- I think that's terrible.

Oh, don't forget your shovel if you want to go to work.
Or you'll end up where you came from like the rest of us
Digging, digging, digging. Ow di liddle doooooooooooooh.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:38 pm
Poor Paddy
The Pogues

In eighteen hundred and forty-one
The corduroy breeches I put on
Me corduroy breeches I put on
To work upon the railway, the railway
I'm weary of the railway
Poor paddy works on the railway

In eighteen hundred and forty-two
From hartlepool I moved to crewe
Found myself a job to do
A working on the railway

I was wearing corduroy breeches
Digging ditches, pulling switches
Dodging pitches, as I was
Working on the railway

In eighteen hundred and forty-three
I broke the shovel across me knee
I went to work for the company
On the leeds to selby railway

Working on the railway

In eighteen hundred and forty-four
I landed on the liverpool shore
My belly was empty me hands were raw
With working on the railway, the railway
I'm sick to my guts of the railway

In eighteen hundred and forty-five
When daniel o'connell he was alive
When daniel o'connell he was alive
And working on the railway

Working on the railway

In eighteen hundred and forty-six
I changed my trade to carrying bricks
I changed my trade to carrying bricks
To work upon the railway

Working on the railway

In eighteen hundred and forty-seven
Poor paddy was thinking of going to heaven
The old bugger was thinking of going to heaven
To work upon the railway, the railway
I'm sick to my death of the railway

Working on the railway
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:39 pm
Hey, dj. What's you trying to do, boy. Get Bob's job? Great info, Canada. Thanks.

edgar, if you're talking the TOO dynamic duo. Another clue;

Fat man and Little Boy.

Imur, welcome, Irish. Fabulous song. You Irish are wonderful. I am so glad that you paid us a visit. Don't do it against the wall? Razz
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:47 pm
Hers a nice Irish song for New Years:

I bang on the door but she won't let me in
'Cause you're sick and tired of me reeking of gin
You lock all the doors from the front to the back
And left me a note telling me I should pack
I walk in the bar and the fella's all cheer
Order me up a whiskey and beer
If you ask me why I'm writing this poem
Some call it tavern, but I call it home

refrain:
F*ck you I'm drunk, F*ck you I'm drunk
Pour my beer down the sink, I've got more in the trunk
F*ck you I'm drunk, F*ck you I'm drunk
And I'm going to be drunk 'till the next time I'm drunk

You've given me an option, you said I must choose
between you an' the liquor, then I'll take the booze
I'm jumpin' on Western down to the southside
Where I'll sit down and exercise my Irish Pride

refrain

lmur: not sure, is this actually Irish? It is popular with the southside Irish of Chicago. For all I know it originated here.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:48 pm
Imur, is our Canuck quick or what?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:49 pm
Not to mention that sublime man from the windy city.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 08:07 pm
I don't want to say goodnight on a bad note, but I think our listeners appreciate historical information.

Little Boy and Fat Man

Little Boy was the first nuclear weapon used in warfare. It exploded approximately 1,800 feet over Hiroshima, Japan, on the morning of August 6, 1945, with a force equal to 13,000 tons of TNT. Immediate deaths were between 70,000 to 130,000.

Little Boy was dropped from a B-29 bomber piloted by U.S. Army Air Force Col. Paul W. Tibbets. Tibbets had named the plane Enola Gay after his mother the night before the atomic attack.

Fat Man was the second nuclear weapon used in warfare. Dropped on Nagasaki, Japan, on August 9, 1945, Fat Man devastated more than two square miles of the city and caused approximately 45,000 immediate deaths.

Major Charles W. Sweeney piloted the B-29, #77 that dropped Fat Man. After the nuclear mission, #77 was christened Bockscar after its regular Command Pilot, Fred Bock.

While Little Boy was a uranium gun-type device, Fat Man was a more complicated and powerful plutonium implosion weapon that exploded with a force equal to 20 kilotons of TNT

and now for a goodnight song to you all.

Wasn't that a wonderful song, folks? Very Happy

See you all tomorrow here on our station.

Happy New Year!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 08:09 pm
Can't forget my signature:

From Letty with love.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 08:22 pm
sublime1 wrote:

lmur: not sure, is this actually Irish? It is popular with the southside Irish of Chicago. For all I know it originated here.

Can't say i've heard it, sublime1. I would guess, as you suggested, it was an expat. Charming lyrics though, aren't they?

Letty, thanks for the welcome & sleep tight.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 08:25 pm
A 100 times more charming than Oh Danny Boy I must say meself.

Happy New Year Letty.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 08:27 pm
Letty wrote:
I don't want to say goodnight on a bad note, but I think our listeners appreciate historical information.

check back a couple of pages, you'll see i answered your question, a test bomb was actually called fat boy

Let's All Make A Bomb
Heaven 17

And as the low aggress the high
All you can do is sit and cry
You've only got yourself to blame
Don't try to stop me it's too late
My mind's made up, this job won't wait
There's nothing left for me to say

Chorus:
Hey! There's no need to debate
It's time to designate your fate
Take the M out of M.A.D.