WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 02:20 pm
Celebrity news:

Tue Dec 13,11:36 AM ET
GAS CITY, Ind. - A museum chronicling the short life of "Rebel Without a Cause" star James Dean will close Dec. 31.

Owner David Loehr moved the James Dean Gallery to Gas City from Fairmount, where Dean attended high school, less than two years ago.
Although attendance had increased, it wasn't enough to match the cost of maintaining the temperature-controlled building, Loehr said Monday.
"The operating expenses and upkeep and payments are just more than we can handle," he said. "I'm just getting further into debt and I just can't do it anymore."
Dean, who was born in Marion in 1931, was killed in a car crash in Cholame, Calif., in 1955 at age 24. His movies also included "East of Eden" and "Giant."

Which brings us back to Don McLean and a coat he borrowed from James Dean. <smile>

http://www.cinematical.com/images/2005/09/james%20dean2.jpg
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:19 pm
"Y", you ask

because i can

bands by the alphabet

Only You
Yaz

looking from a window above,
it's like a story of love
can you hear me
came back only yesterday
moving further away
want you near me

chorus
all i needed was the love you gave
all i needed for another day
and all i ever knew
only you

sometimes when i think of her name
when it's only a game
and i need you
listen to the words that you say
it's getting harder to stay
when i see you

chorus

this is going to take a long time
and i wonder what's mine
can't take no more
wonder if you'll understand
it's just the touch of your hand
behind a closed door

chorus

Get Together
The Youngbloods

Love is but a song to sing
Fear's the way we die
You can make the mountains ring
Or make the angels cry
Though the bird is on the wing
And you may not know why

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now

Some may come and some may go
We shall surely pass
When the one that left us here
Returns for us at last
We are but a moment's sunlight
Fading in the grass

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now

If you hear the song I sing
You will understand (listen!)
You hold the key to love and fear
All in your trembling hand
Just one key unlocks them both
It's there at you command

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another
Right now

Wonderin'
Neil Young

I've been walking all night long
My footsteps made me crazy
Baby, you've been gone so long
I'm wonderin' if you'll come home
I'm hopin' that you'll be my baby
I'm wonderin' if I'll be alone
Knowin' that I need you to save me.
I've been talking all day long
To keep my heart from sadness
Baby, you've been gone so long
I'm wonderin' if you'll come home
I'm hopin' that you'll be my baby
I'm wonderin' if I'll be alone
I'm wonderin', I'm wonderin',
I'm wonderin', I'm wonderin'.
Well, I'm knowin'
that I need you to save me
I'm wonderin', I'm wonderin'.

one more for good measure

Don't Go
Yaz

came in from the city
walked into the door
i turned around when i heard the sound
of footsteps on the floor
love just like addiction
now i'm hooked on you
i need some time to get it right
your love gonna see me through

chorus
can't stop now
don't you know
i ain't never gonna let you go
don't go

baby make your mind up
give me what you got
fix me with your lovin'
shut the door and turn the lock
hey go get the doctor,
doctor came too late
another night i feel alright
my love for you can't wait

chorus

came in from the city
walked into the door
i turned around when i heard the sound
of footsteps on the floor
said he was a killer,
now i know it's true
i'm dead when you walkout the door
hey babe i'm hooked on you

repeat chorus

don't go, don't go, don't go...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:36 pm
Y, dj? Because it was there. (who said that, folks?)

And in tribute to our dj, an answering song, listeners:

Yours till the stars have no glory
Yours till the birds fail to sing
Yours till the end of life's story
This pledge to you, dear, I bring
Yours in the gray of December
Here or on far distant shores
I've never loved anyone the way I love you
How could I, when I was born to be just yours?

dj, I love the Youngbloods. Thanks, Canada.

Now, if the turtle would creep in, he would transform "Yours" into Spanish.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:41 pm
but i'm jumping in instead with Edmund Hillary. google says yours is "el tuyo."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:56 pm
Hmmm. I declare, Yit. el tuyo? That sounds rather like el toro.<smile>

So this is some bull for our Yit:

El Toro Relajo - Selena
Aguas que ahi viene un toro!
Es el relajo
Escondete tras las trancas, chatita
Que viene bravo
Y avientame tu rebozo mi vida
Pa' capotearlo

Toro, toro, toro
Entra de largo
Que mi prieta chula torito
Te esta mirando

Toro, toro, toro
Toro relajo
Ya te estoy quitando torito
Lo alebrestado

Ya van a abrir las trancas
De su chiquero
Que ya le quite! A este toro, mi vida
Lo mitotero Ahi va como borreguito, chatita
A su potrero

Toro, toro, toro

I don't mean papal bull, either. Razz
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 07:48 pm
Ah, did I chase our lovaBULL Mr. Turtle away?

Well, listeners, I must be off to bed so here is my goodnight message to everyone:

Serenity

Evening air of jasmine ..
a night sky clear of clouds ..
luminous stars hang overhead
as peace abounds in glorious silence.
Dampness from the evening dew
clings to the skin like diamonds ..
reflecting the moon as miniature
globes of effervescent fire.

In the distance, a long soulful cry
fills the quiet night shadows ..
as the wolf tips his nose to the sky
calling his mate to come to his side.

Forever sharing the harmony of the night
a serenity can be shared by one and all ..
if you just take a moment to quiet your heart
and listen to the wondrous glory of it all.

© May 1999 Brenda "Rion" Sewell
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 06:41 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

Let's begin with a little monkey business:

King Kong gets extra-special effects as quake rattles screening Tue Dec 13,12:48 PM ET

WELLINGTON (AFP) - Movie director Peter Jackson is the king of special effects but even he was outdone when the audience was shaken and stirred by an earthquake during a preview screening of his new blockbuster "King Kong".

The quake measuring 4.5 on the Richter scale hit Wellington about an hour into the film and at first it was difficult to tell what was happening.

The theatre was already filled with the sound of the roaring of the sea and scraping metal as onscreen a ship belonging to the eventual capturers of King Kong was smashed against the rocks of the sinister Skull Island.

However it soon became clear that the technical wizardry of the maker of "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy did not extend to shaking the seats and walls.

But the show must go on. The tremors stopped after a few seconds and after some nervous laughter, the audience stayed planted in their seats as the three-hour screening continued uninterrupted.

And from Carole King:

I feel the earth move under my feet
I feel the sky tumbling down
I feel my heart start to trembling
Whenever you're around

Oh baby When I see your face
Mellow as the month of May
Oh darling I cant stand it
When you look at me that way

I feel my heart start to trembling
Whenever you're around

Oh darling When you're near me
And you tenderly call my name
I know that, My emotions
Are something I just cant tame
Ive just got to have you baby

I just lose control
Down to my very soul
I get hot and cold all over

tumbling down, tumbling down...
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:03 am
Nostradamus
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Nostradamus, (December 14, 1503 - July 1, 1566) born Michel de Nostredame, is the world's most famous Judicial astrologer and author of prophecies. He is most famous for his book Les Propheties, called today - "The Centuries" - which consists of rhymed quatrains (4‑line poems) grouped into sets of 100, called Centuries.

Many people believe some of these quatrains predicted future events, although many others call it retroactive clairvoyance and selective thinking, which find non-existent patterns in ambiguous statements.

Supporters believe Nostradamus predicted a number of events in world history, including the American Revolution, the French Revolution, the Russian Revolution; World War I and World War II; the creation and use of the atom bomb, the rise of Napoleon and Adolf Hitler and the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center. Some people interpret Nostradamus' prophecies cover the full range of world history and believe he forecasted the 2003 invasion of Iraq as well as the coming of the Third and last Anti-Christ.

The bulk of the astrological quatrains deal with a host of global disasters of various sorts. The disasters include plagues, earthquakes, wars, floods, invasions, murders, droughts, famines, battles and many other themes. Some quatrains cover these in over-all terms; others concern a single person or small group of persons. Some cover a single town, others several towns in several countries.

Supporters say the prophecies are strictly astrological in nature; requiring that the reader/interpreter be fully versed in the practice of "judicial astrology" - by which Nostradamus claimed was the science he used to predict the world's future from his era of the 16th Century. To accurately read and thus break the codes which his prophecies are based upon and locked against the uneducated, one also must be learned in mundane astrology - a branch of judicial astrology, and educated by reading the Book of Enoch; written by the great-grandfather of Noah, some Christians believe taken into the Ark and was the only book of the history of the cosmos written by Enoch to be saved from the universal Deluge which Nostradamus wrote, in conflict with the account in Genesis, was a worldwide flood that lasted one year and two months.

According to Nostradamus, learning the hidden or occult history of the world is essential to understanding his own prophecies of the future; as well as protecting one's own soul from perdition. He said the study of astrology, the Holy Bible, the Qur'an; the Book of Enoch and other holy texts are key in lifting the veil from one's eyes and through good actions - protected from the wrath of God - which Nostradamus predicted would actually come upon the world. A firm believer in astrology; Nostradamus stated that it was God who gave him the knowledge of judicial astrology and that God regulates all things in the world through the Sun, Moon, planets and stars.

Biography

Born with a Sun in Capricorn in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence in the south of France on December 14, 1503, Michel de Nostredame was the son of a grain dealer who was also a prosperous notary. His family was originally Hebrew but had converted to Catholicism during the previous century. Some of his biographers say that Nostradamus was from the generation of the tribe of Issachar who were ancient judicial astrologers. Jean de Saint-Remy, Michel's maternal grandfather, was physician and astrologer to Rene the Good (1434-80). Jean was best friends with Pierre de Nostradame, a highly-respected pharmacist and both men traveled throughout western Europe with a mobile apothecary - using astrology to heal the sick.

At a young age, Michel was said to have shown signs of high intelligence. His grandfather Jean asked that Michel be raised at his home. Michel's parents were elated since Jean was well-versed in the applied sciences and was well-traveled. In addition to the rudiments of mathematics, Arabic, Greek, Latin and Hebrew, Jean gave the young Michel his first taste of the celestial sciences - judicial astrology.

After Jean's death, Michel returned to his parent's home and his education continued by his paternal grandfather, Pierre de Nostradame, who continued Michel's education of astrology and herbal medicines. When the elder Pierre had taught Michel all he could, the fifteen-year-old entered the University of Avignon to study for his baccalaureate. Though apt in grammer, philosophy and rhetoric, Michel was said to show the greatest interest in judicial astrology. So marked was this early interest that as a result of his frequent discourses on the celestial movements that his classmates nicknamed him "the little astrologer."

In 1522, at the age of 19 he started three years of intensive medical study while secretly working as an apothecary, he entered the University of Montpellier to study for a doctorate in medicine, but was promptly expelled again when it was discovered that he had been an apothecary, which was a 'manual' trade expressly banned by the university statutes. He then continued work as an apothecary, and using astrological techniques, created a herbal "rose pill" that he claimed was effective against the the plague.

In 1531 he was invited by Jules-César Scaliger, a leading Renaissance man, to come to Agen. There Nostradamus married a woman whose name is still in dispute (possibly Henriette d'Encausse), but who bore him two children. In 1534, however, his wife and children died, presumably from the plague. After their death he continued to travel, passing through France and possibly Italy.

He settled down in 1547 in Salon-de-Provence, where he married a rich widow named Anne Ponsarde Gemelle and eventually had six children - three daughters and three sons. After a further visit to Italy, he began to move away from medicine and towards the occult. He wrote astrological almanacs for the year 1550, for the first time Latinising his name to 'Nostradamus', and was so encouraged by its success that he decided to write one or more annually. Taken together, they are known to have contained at least 6,338 astrological prophecies, as well as at least 11 annual calendars. He then began his project of writing 1,000 quatrains, which form the prophecies for which he is famous today. Feeling vulnerable to religious fanatics, however, he devised a method of obscuring his meaning by using "Virgilianised" syntax, word games and a mixture of languages such as Provençal, Greek, Latin and Italian. For technical reasons connected with their publication in three instalments, the last 58 quatrains of the seventh 'Century', or book of 100 verses, were never published.

The quatrains, written in a book titled "Les Propheties", received a mixed reaction when first published in sections. Some thought Nostradamus was a servant of evil, a fake, or insane, while many of the elite thought his quatrains were spiritually inspired prophecies from God. A well-known judicial astrologer, nobility were coming from far and wide to receive horoscopes and astrological advice from him. Catherine de Médicis, the queen consort of King Henri II of France, was one of Nostradamus's admirers.

The book of prophecies, nonetheless, was all the rage among the Paris royalty and the first edition, printed in 1555, contained only the Preface to Cesar along with Centuries I-III complete and Century IV with only 53 quatrains.

The French royal court were speculating the meaning of one of Nostradamus' prophecies located in Century I, Quatrain 35, which believes say refered to the death of King Henry II:

"The young lion will overcome the old one On the field of battle in single combat: He will put out his eyes in a cage of gold: Two fleets one, then to die a cruel death."

Queen de Medici summoned Nostradamus to Paris to explain the quatrain and to draw up the horoscopes of her children. So impressed she was by his discipline, discretion and astrological knowledge, she forced Henry to give Nostradamus a royal purse. Nostradamus was later made Counselor and Physician-in-Ordinary to the King.

In the summer of 1559, four years after Nostradamus made the prediction, the House of France celebrated two marriages and on June 28, three days of festivities were highlighted by tournaments in the rue Saint-Antoine. King Henry II took part in the first two days. At sunset of the third day, July 1, Henry rode against Gabriel de Lorges, Comte. de Montgomery, Captain of the Scottish Guard. Failing to unseat him on his horse with lance on arm, Henry insisted on another bout. The horses charged and the lances met, but Montgomery's lance met the king's golden visor and splittered. Dropping his lance too late, the jagged point pierced the King's visor and was thrust through Henry's eye. The King reeled, clutched the pommel of his saddle and fell into the arms of his grooms. After surviving 10 days in utter agony, he died on July 10 - believers say this fulfilled the astrological prophecy of Nostradamus.

By 1566 Nostradamus's gout, which had painfully plagued him for many years and made movement very difficult, finally turned into dropsy. At the beginning of July, after making an extended will and a much shorter codicil, he is alleged to have told his secretary Jean de Chavigny, "You will not find me alive by sunrise." The next morning he was reportedly found dead, lying on the floor between his bed and a makeshift bench.

Some biographical accounts of Nostradamus' life state that he was afraid of being persecuted for heresy by the Inquisition, but neither prophecy nor astrology fell under this bracket, and he would have been in danger only if he had practised magic to support them. In fact, his relations with the Church as a prophet and healer were always excellent. His brief imprisonment at Marignane in late 1561 came about purely because he had published his 1562 almanac without the prior permission of a bishop, contrary to a recent royal decree.

Judicial Astrology and methods of prophecy

Nostradamus was clearly familiar with the Latinized printed editions of a range of esoteric writings translated from the ancient Hebrew and Arabic astrological and prophetic texts. He was an excellent judicial astrologer and based his prophecies on astrological principles very different than those of contemporaries of his era. He was particularly adept in Islamic astrology Called the "little astrologer" during his childhood, Nostradamus was known to constantly talk to friends and classmates about the motions and influences of the Sun, Moon planets and stars. His medical studies of the day were strictly astrological before entering university which accounted for Nostradamus' frequent clashes with the doctors and teachers of the time who believed bleeding patients would heal them. Nostradamus felt that bleeding an ill person was only bringing them closer to death and preferred using plants and herbs to heal the sick.

His historical sources include easily identifiable passages from Livy, Suetonius, Plutarch and a range of other classical historians, as well as from the chronicles of medieval authors such as Villehardouin and Froissart. Many of his astrological references, by contrast, are taken almost word-for-word from the Livre de l'estat et mutations des temps of 1549/50 by Richard Roussat. Even the planetary tables on which he based such birthcarts as he was unable to avoid preparing himself are easily identifiable by their detailed figures, even where (as is usually the case) he gets some of them wrong.

His major prophetic source was evidently the Mirabilis liber of 1522, which contained a range of prophecies by Pseudo-Methodius, the Tiburtine Sibyl, Joachim of Fiore, Savonarola and others (his Preface contains no less than 24 biblical quotations, all but two of them in exactly the same order as Savonarola). Further material was gleaned from Petrus Crinitus's De honesta disciplina of 1504, which included extracts from Psellus's De daemonibus and the De Mysteriis Aegyptiorum..." (Concerning the mysteries of Egypt...), a book on Chaldean and Assyrian magic by Iamblichus, a 4th‑century neo-Platonist. Latin versions of both had recently been published in Lyon.

While it is true that Nostradamus claimed in 1555 to have burned all the occult works in his library, no one can say exactly what books were destroyed in this fire. The fact that they reportedly burned with an unnaturally brilliant flame suggests, however, that some of them were manuscripts on vellum, which was routinely treated with saltpetre.

However, in his Preface to Cesar, who is a referred to as a future astrologer, who as his "spiritual son", would in the 21st Century unlock the keys to all his astrological prophecies. Nostradmus says to him that -

'"Events of human origin are uncertain, but all is regulated and governed by the incalculable power of God, inspiring us not through drunken fury, nor by frantic movement, but through the influences of the stars. Only those divinely inspired can predict particular things in a prophetic spirit."

He continues in his preface to state that -

'"As for ourselves, who are but human, we can discover nothing of the obscure secrets of God the Creator by our own unaided knowledge or by the bent of out ingenuity. It is not for you to know times or hours, etc. However, now, or in the future there may be persons to whom God the Creator, through fanciful impressions, wishes to reveal some secrets of the future - integrated with judicial astrology - in much the same manner that in the past a certain power and voluntary faculty came over them like a flame, causing them to judge human and divine inspirations alike. For of the divine works, those which are absolute God completes; those which are medial, the angels; and the third kind, the evil spirits." '

Nostradamus clearly used applied astrological aspects and principles of judicial mundane astrology. He was strict in maintaining that those who practice "magic" were to be damned by God and that magic was forbidden -

'"Furthermore, my son, I beg that you will never want to employ your understanding on such dreams and vanities as dry up the body, put the soul in perdition and cause trouble to the weak senses. I caution you especially against the vanity of the more than execrable magic; condemned of yore by the Holy Scriptures and by the Canons of the Church.

"However, judicial astrology is excepted from this judgement. For it is by this, together with divine inspiration and revelation, and continual nightly watches and calculations, that we have reduced our prophecies to writing."

There are those who would attempt to say that Nostradamus used astrology just a little bit and that he was not heavily invested in the celestial sciences. Nostradamus informed those versed in judicial astrology to carefully calculate the transits of the planets Mars, Jupiter and Saturn in determining global events. This forms a part of mundane astrology - a branch of judicial astrology that deals with nations.

From his own writings, Nostradamus makes clear that his prophecies are based in judicial astrology and he states powerfully so in the Preface to Cesar, in his book, "The Centuries" -

"But what I do want to make clear to you is the judgement obtained through the calculation of the heavens. By this one has knowledge of future events while rejecting completely all fantastic things one may imagine. With divine and supernatural inspiration integrated with astrological computations; one can name places and periods of time accurately; an occult property obtained through divine virtue, power and ability. By means of this, past, present, and future become but one eternity: for all things are naked and open."

His works

The Prophecies - In this book he collected his major, long-term divinations. The first edition was published in 1555. The second, with 289 further prophetic verses, was printed in 1557. The third edition, with three hundred new quatrains, was reportedly printed in 1558, but nowadays only survives as part of the omnibus edition that was published after his death in 1568. Thanks to printing practices at the time, no two editions turned out to be identical, and it is relatively rare to find even two copies exactly the same.

The Almanacs - By far the most popular of his works, these were published annually from 1550 until his death. Often he published two or even three in a single year, entitled either Almanachs (detailed predictions), Prognostications or Presages (more generalised predictions).

Nostradamus was not only an skilled astrologer, but a professional healer, too; in the ancient tradition of judicial astrology, who were also medical doctors of note. We know that he wrote at least two books on medical science. One was an alleged "translation" of Galen, and in his so-called Traité des fardemens (basically, a medical cookbook containing, once again, materials borrowed mainly from others) he included a description of the methods he used to treat the plague - none of which (not even the blood-letting) apparently worked. The same book also describes the preparation of cosmetics.

A manuscript normally known as the "Orus Apollo" also exists in the Lyon municipal library, where upwards of 2000 original documents relating to Nostradamus are stored under the aegis of Michel Chomarat. It is a purported translation of an ancient Greek work on Egyptian hieroglyphs based on later, Latin versions, all of them unfortunately ignorant of the true meanings of the ancient Egyptian script, which was not in fact deciphered until the advent of Champollion in the 19th century.

Since his death, only the Prophecies have continued to be popular, but in this case they have been quite extraordinarily so. Indeed, they have seldom, if ever, been out of print. The reason for this may be due partly to popular unease about the future, partly to people's desire to see their lives in some kind of over-all cosmic perspective and so to give meaning to them - but above all, possibly, to their vagueness and lack of dating, which skeptics say enables them to be wheeled out after every major dramatic event and retrospectively claimed as 'hits'.

Skepticism

Skeptics of Nostradamus state that his reputation as a prophet is largely manufactured by modern-day supporters who shoehorn his words into events that have either already occurred or are so imminent as to be inevitable, a process known as as "retroactive clairvoyance". No Nostradamus quatrain has been interpreted before a specific event occurs, beyond a very general level (e.g., a fire will occur, a war will start).

Some scholars believe that Nostradamus wrote not to be a prophet, but to comment on events that were happening in his own time, writing in his elusive way - using highly metaphorical and cryptic language - in order to avoid persecution. This is similar to the Preterite interpretation of the Book of Revelation; John the Apostle intended to write only about contemporary events, but over time his writings became seen as prophecies.

Yet, there is no proof that this is the case. Nostradamus himself wrote:

'"Furthermore, my son, though I have mentioned the name prophet, I do not wish to assume for myself a title so sublime for the present. For he who is called a prophet now was once called a seer. Strictly speaking, my son, a prophet is one who sees things remote from the natural knowledge of men..." '

Apocalyptic Writings

All of the prophecies are presented in the context of the supposedly imminent end of the world - a conviction that sparked numerous collections of end-time prophecies at the time, not least an unpublished collection by Christopher Columbus.

Nostradamus says in his prophecies that "thousands of other events will come to pass, because of floods and continual rains" and that the world is nearing a time of imminent danger due to the evil of the people in the world. He states again, in his Preface to Cesar that -

'"You must see now, my son, that I find by my calculations, which are according to revealed inspiration, that the sword of death is now approaching us, in the shape of pestilence, war more horrible than has been known in three lifetimes, and famine. This famine will fall upon the earth, and return there often, according to the words, 'I will visit their iniquities with a rod of iron, and will strike them with blows'."

'"For the mercy of the Lord, my son, will not be extended at all for a long time, not until most of my prophecies will have been accomplished, and will be accomplishment have become rsolved. Then, several times during the sinister tempests, the Lord will say, ' I will trample them, and break them, and not show pity.'"

Misquotes and Hoaxes

Nostradamus' writings have frequently been misquoted and, in some instances, even deliberately altered in order to "prove" that he supposedly predicted various events - especially the most recent and dramatic ones. There is a persistent tendency to claim that 'Nostradamus predicted whatever has just happened'. Since the advent of the Internet, many prophecies have even been fabricated outright, therefore enhancing the mystique of Nostradamus. For example, after the September 11 Terrorist Attacks, the following was circulated on the Internet along with many more elaborate variants:

In the City of God there will be a great thunder,
Two brothers torn apart by Chaos,
while the fortress endures,
the great leader will succumb,
The third big war will begin when the big city is burning

As it turns out, the first four lines were indeed written before the attacks, but by a Canadian graduate student named Neil Marshall as part of a research paper in 1997. Ironically enough, the research paper included this poem as an illustrative example of how the validity of prophecies is often exaggerated. For example, the "City of God" (why is New York City the City of God?), "great thunder" (could apply to just about any disaster), "Two brothers" (lots of things come in pairs), and "the great leader will succumb" phrases are so ambiguous as to be meaningless. The fifth line was added by an anonymous Internet user, showing obvious alteration since Nostradamus wrote his Propheties in four-line verses called quatrains. Nostradamus also never actually referred to a "third big war".

Come the millennium, month 12
In the home of greatest power,
The village idiot will come forth
To be acclaimed the leader.

This was supposed, of course, to refer to the election of George W. Bush as President of the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostradamus
0 Replies

Misspatatra

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:06 am
WAKE UUUUUUUUUUUUUP !!! It's time!!! Laughing
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:07 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:09 am
Morey Amsterdam

Morey Amsterdam (December 14, 1908 - October 27, 1996) was a veteran television actor and comedian, renowned for his large, ready supply of jokes.

Born in Chicago, Illinois to a Jewish family, he began working in Vaudeville in 1922 as the straight man for his brother's jokes. He was also a cellist, a skill which he used throughout his career. By 1924, he was working in a speakeasy operated by Al Capone. After being caught in a gun fight, Amsterdam moved to California and sought work writing jokes. His enormous repertoire and ability to come up with a joke on any subject earned him the nickname "The Human Joke Machine."

During the 1930s, Amsterdam hosted a radio show and also wrote songs, including "Why Oh Why Did I Ever Leave Wyoming" and "Rum and Coca-Cola" (a popular hit that he copyrighted, although the song was based on a Trinidadian calypso). By 1947, he was performing on three daily radio shows.

Beginning in 1948, he appeared on the radio show Stop Me If You've Heard This One and began hosting his own television show, The Morey Amsterdam Show. The latter was replaced in 1950 by a variety and talk show called Broadway Open House, television's first late-night entertainment show, on the DuMont Television Network. Among his guests was a song and dance man named Art Carney.

Amsterdam's most famous role may have been as comedy writer Buddy Sorrell on The Dick Van Dyke Show (1961-1966), a role suggested for him by his friend Rose Marie, who also appeared on the show. Amsterdam and Rose Marie later appeared as panelists on The Hollywood Squares and guest-starred together in a February 1996 episode of the NBC sitcom Caroline in the City, shortly before Amsterdam's death.

Amsterdam also was a regular panelists on Match Game '73 and a frequent guest panelist on Match Game '74.

Amsterdam died of a heart attack in Los Angeles at the age of 87 and was interred in LA's Forest Lawn - Hollywood Hills Cemetery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morey_Amsterdam
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:10 am
Welcome back, MissPat. I predict that Bob of Boston isn't quite finished with his bio's. <smile>
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:15 am
Spike Jones

Lindley Armstrong "Spike" Jones (December 14, 1911 - May 1, 1965) was a popular musician and comedian. He was born in Long Beach, California.

His father was a Southern Pacific railroad agent. He got his nickname by being so thin that he was compared to a railroad spike. At the age of eleven he got his first set of drums. As a teenager he played in bands that he formed himself. A chef in a railroad restaurant taught him how to use adapted pots and pans, forks, knives and spoons as musical instruments. He frequently played in theater pit orchestras. In the 1930's he joined the Victor Young Band and thereby got many offers to appear to radio shows including the Al Jolson Lifebuoy Show, Burns and Allen (with George Burns) and Bing Crosby's Kraft Music Hall. In 1940, he had an uncredited part in the film Give Us Wings, and in 1942 as a hillbilly in Pass the Biscuits, Mirandy. He joined up with vocalist Del Porter and performed in Los Angeles, gaining a cult following. By 1941 the band included violinist Carl Grayson. Other band members were George Rock (voice and trumpet), Doodles Weaver (voice) and Red Ingle (voice). They became his backing band The City Slickers.Jones's wife was the singer Helen Grayco, who performed on some of his radio shows. They recorded five records for Victor's label "Bluebird" before receiving their big break. The rock band Aerosmith almost named themselves "Spike Jones" in the late bandleader's honor.

Der Fuehrer's Face

In 1942 Walt Disney made a propaganda cartoon called "Donald Duck in Nutzi Land". It contained the song "Der Fuehrer's Face" which was released as a single. It reached number 2. It is said that even Hitler heard it. Spike had seven top ten hits from 1942 to 1949, even though no new recordings were made for a year during a strike by the American Federation of Musicians. His signature tune, Cocktails for Two, was recorded in about 1943. In 1945 he got his own show. In more than 60 shows his guests included Groucho Marx, Hank Williams, Frankie Laine and Burl Ives. Spike's parody of Vaughn Monroe's "Ghost Riders In the Sky" was quickly withdrawn and is a prized rarity. Sinatra appeared in October 1948, Lassie in May 1949. Through the late 40s and early 50's the band toured the USA and Canada under the name "The Musical Depreciation Revue". The band grew from 7 to 16 players. He appeared in a dozen films in the late forties and fifties, always playing himself.

Murdering The Classics

One of his earliest recordings was an adaption of Liszt's "Liebestraum". It was played at a jaunty pace on inappropriate instruments. Rossini's "William Tell Overture" was rendered on kitchen implements. In live shows Spike would acknowledge the applause with complete solemnity, saying "Thank you music lovers". A collection of 12 of these homicides was released in 1971 as "Spike Jones is Murdering The Classics". Mel Blanc, the voice of Bugs Bunny and other Warner Brothers cartoon characters, provided the hiccups on "Clink Clink Another Drink". It used drinking glasses as musical instruments. In 1948 Spike recorded "(All I want for Christmas is) my two Front Teeth". It was a number one hit. Dora Bryan had a hit in 1963 with a variation called "All I want For Christmas is a Beatle".

Soundies

A series of short musical films were made by the band. These so-called soundies were put onto juke boxes. In them we see Jones dressed in a suit with an enormous check pattern, leaping around playing cowbells, a suite of klaxons, foghorns, then xylophone then shooting a pistol into the air. One of their instruments was a "latrinophone", a toilet seat with strings. The band got their own variety shows on NBC then CBS from 1954 to 1961. In 1990 BBC2 screened six compilation shows from these broadcasts. Songs from the soundies were released on a compilation called Not Your Standard Spike Jones Collection.

The Fifties

The war years were lean times for Frank Sinatra and he was glad to get work doing a guest spot with Jones. Once his fame grew, Sinatra repaid his debt to Spike by inviting him onto his show in 1958. "The Perry Como Show" had him as a guest in 1956, and Jack Benny in the same year. Also in 1956, Jones released his first LP, Dinner Music For People Who Aren't Very Hungry. By 1959 his act seemed old-fashioned and work dried up. Spike Jones died in Beverly Hills on 1st May 1965. He is buried in Holy Cross Cemetery in Culver City, California.

Radioland Murders

In 1994 Mel Smith directed a film based on a script by George Lucas. Set in 1939, it contains fictionalized versions of Spike Jones and Frank Sinatra. Radioland Murders was poorly reviewed and compared unfavorably with Woody Allen's Radio Days. It contains the last appearance of George Burns. Two members of Spike Jones's band appear in the film - Billy Barty (1924 - 2000) and Paul "Mousie" Garner (1909 - 2004), playing themselves.

Misleading biographies

Many compilations from the seventies and eighties contained spurious dates of birth and death for Spike in the liner notes. Unfortunately they have been widely reproduced on the web and in books. He was not born on 14th May 1916, nor did he die on March 29th 1966. His real name was not Harry Joseph Chick Daugherty.

Influence

There is a clear line of influence from the Hoosier Hotshots and the Marx Brothers to Spike Jones and to Stan Freberg, Gerard Hoffnung, Peter Schickele's P.D.Q. Bach, The Goons, Frank Zappa, The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, The Roto Rooter Goodtime Christmas Band and to "Weird Al" Yankovic. Billy Barty even appeared in a video by "Weird Al" Yankovic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_Jones

Barney Google :: Spike Jones

Barney Google, with his goog- goog- googley eyes.
Barney Google had a wife three times his size.
She sued Barney for divorce
Now he's living with his horse.

Barney Google, has a girl that loves the guys.
Only friends can get a squeeze.
That girl has no enemies.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:18 am
Dan Dailey

Daniel James Dailey Jr. (born December 14, 1913; died October 16, 1978) was an American actor. Born in New York City, he appeared in a minstrel show when very young, and appeared in vaudeville before his Broadway debut in 1937 in Babes in Arms. In 1940 he was signed by MGM to make movies and, although his past career had been in musicals, he was initially cast as a Nazi in The Mortal Storm.

The people at MGM realized their mistake immediately, however, and began casting him in a series of musical films. He served in the United States Army during World War II, then returned to more musicals. His performance in When My Baby Smiles at Me in 1948 garnered him an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor.

As the musical genre began to wane in the mid-1950s, he moved on to various comedic and dramatic roles, and television. His sister is Another World actress Irene Dailey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Dailey
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:21 am
Charlie Rich

Charlie Rich (December 14, 1932 - July 25, 1995) was an American country, jazz, and blues musician.

Rich was born in Colt, Arkansas to rural cotton farmers.

Two of his hits were "Behind Closed Doors" and "The Most Beautiful Girl In The World". His most famous compositions are "Lonely Weekends", a hit for him on Sun Records in 1960, and "I Feel Like Going Home".

His wife, Margaret-Ann, was perhaps his greatest muse, writing for Charlie one of the great country-soul records of all time, "Life Has Its Little Ups and Downs".

Other than his music, he is famous for his antics at the 1975 Country Music Association awards ceremony, when he set fire to the envelope that announced John Denver as his successor for CMA Entertainer Of The Year.

In the latter part of his life, Rich acquired the nickname "The Silver Fox" in reference to his full head of grey hair.

Charlie Rich died in Hammond, Louisiana in 1995 at the age of 62. His son, Charlie Rich, Jr., is also a noted musician.

Charlie Rich's pioneering contribution to the genre has been recognized by the Rockabilly Hall of Fame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Rich
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:22 am
Lee Remick

Lee Remick (December 14, 1935 - July 2, 1991), was an American actress admired for her versality and her great beauty. Among her best-known films are Anatomy of a Murder (1959) and Days of Wine and Roses (1962).

Remick was born in Quincy, Massachusetts to Frank Edwin Remick and Margaret Patricia Waldo. She studied acting at Barnard College and the Actors' Studio, making her Broadway debut in 1953 with "Be Your Age." Remick made her film debut in Elia Kazan's A Face in the Crowd (1957).

In 1962 she was nominated for an Oscar award for her performance as the alcoholic wife of Jack Lemmon in The Days of Wine and Roses. Remick received a Tony Award nomination in 1966 for her role as a blind woman terrorized by drug smugglers in "Wait Until Dark" (the character was played by Audrey Hepburn in the film version).

Remick died in 1991 at age 55 in Los Angeles, California of kidney cancer.

Her first husband was Bill Colleran, an American television producer, with whom she had a son and daughter. Her second husband was British film producer Kip Gowans. She has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6104 Hollywood Blvd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Remick
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:24 am
Patty Duke

Patty Duke (born December 14, 1946) is an actress of the stage and screen. Born Anna Marie Duke in Elmhurst, Queens, New York, USA to an Irish father, John P. Duke, and an Irish-German mother, Francis McMahon. She won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in 1962 for her role as Helen Keller in The Miracle Worker. She also won a Golden Globe for Me, Natalie in 1969, which also featured the first on screen role of actor Al Pacino. From 1972 to 1985, she was married to John Astin, the father of her actor children, Sean Astin and Mackenzie Astin (the former being conceived before her marriage to Astin, and who was subsequently adopted by Astin). In 1986 she married Michael Pearce.

Childhood

Many attribute some of Duke's extraordinary abilities to her being affected by bipolar disorder, commonly known as manic depression. Duke's personal life from childhood resembled something out of Dickens. Her father was an alcoholic, and her mother suffered from bipolar disorder and was prone to violence. When Duke was 6, her mother threw her father out. When she was 8, her life was essentially turned over to her managers John and Ethel Ross who recognized her talent and promoted her as a child actress.

The Rosses methods were somewhat unscrupulous: they consistently billed her as two years younger than she was, and padded her resume with some false credits. Ethel Ross gave the sweeping name-change order "Anna Marie is dead, you are Patty now" which, though perhaps innocently intended, resounded painfully with Anna for decades to come. (Her professional name was chosen because the Rosses wanted her to achieve the success of Patty McCormack).

One of Duke's first acting jobs was on the soap opera The Brighter Day, in the late 1950s. However, Duke's first major role was playing Helen Keller (with Anne Bancroft as Annie Sullivan) in the Broadway play The Miracle Worker which ran for nearly two years. Midway through the run, she was honored by having her name placed above the title on the marquee. The play was made into the 1962 film version, for which Duke received the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress; she was the youngest person to receive an Academy Award at age 16, ignoring Shirley Temple's special Award. In 1963 Duke landed her own series The Patty Duke Show in which she played both the main characters Patty Lane and her "identical cousin" Cathy Lane. The show lasted for three seasons, and earned her one Emmy Award nomination.

At the age of twelve, Patty Duke appeared on The $64,000 Question game show and won $32,000. Three years later, it was revealed that the game show was rigged and Patty was called to testify before a congessional panel. Patty was coached by the Rosses to claim that she had not cheated. At first she went along with the Rosses story and lied to the panel. Later she broke down into tears and admitted that she had been given the answers.

Despite the success of her career, Duke was deeply unhappy during her teenage years. She reports being treated as a virtual prisoner by her managers the Rosses and had little control over her own life and her own earnings. The Rosses kept control over Duke and her mother by allowing them only a pittance. The Rosses also began providing Duke with alcohol and prescription drugs starting when she was as young as 13, which led to substance abuse problems later. At the same time, efforts were taken to portray her as a normal teenager; publicity shots of Duke in her room showed a telephone which was not even connected. The phone was later connected when she befriended Frank Sinatra, Jr. Duke accused both John and Ethel Ross of sexual abuse.

Mid-Career

Upon turning 18, Duke became free of the Rosses, only to find that they had squandered most of her earnings (although she has stated that the money was nothing compared to what they had done to her life). Furthermore, she was not socially or emotionally prepared to live on her own. At the age of 18 she married director Harry Falk who was nearly twice her age at the time. Duke's heavy drinking and drug abuse, coupled with suicide attempts and anorexia drove the man into an affair that ended the marriage after four years. It was during the marriage to Falk that she made Valley of the Dolls, a critical disaster that raised questions as to her ability as an adult actress. However, she did start a successful singing career, producing Top 40 hits such as Don't Just Stand There in 1965, and Dona Dona in 1968, both of which she performed on The Ed Sullivan Show.

However, Duke made a strong career comeback in the 1970 TV movie My Sweet Charlie, for which she won her first Emmy. Around this time she became romantically involved with actor John Astin, and also entered into a short-lived but highly publicized affair with Desi Arnaz, Jr.. The relationship did not last, partially because Arnaz's mother, TV legend Lucille Ball, did not approve and reportedly ordered her son to stop seeing Duke. In what was likely to have been a depressive episode Duke quickly married rock promoter Michael Tell, who she had literally just met. The marriage was annulled two weeks later.

After the marriage Duke was pregnant with her first child. Much of the public assumed that the father was Arnaz, due to the media hype of the affair, and therefore Duke was carrying the illegitimate grandchild of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. Duke believed the father to be the somewhat older actor John Astin, however.

On February 21, 1971 she gave birth to her first son Sean Astin (who has since become a major actor in his own right). Sean was Tell's biological son. Even though the affair with Desi Jr. had long since ended, Desi Arnaz, Sr. made a kindly visit to Duke when she was in the hospital. This was a daring thing for him to do, as there were reporters outside the hospital that were eager for news that the newborn was his grandson. In 1972 John Astin married Duke and fathered her second son Mackenzie Astin born in 1973.

Duke and Astin worked together extensively during their marriage. For a time, Patty Duke even added Astin to her professional name. The marriage and her children greatly improved her self confidence and her career. She received her second Emmy for the TV mini-series Captains and the Kings and her third for a TV version of The Miracle Worker in which she played Annie Sullivan to Melissa Gilbert's Helen Keller. Duke still suffered from depression, however, and the work put a strain on her marriage. She and Astin divorced in 1985, then in 1986 she married drill seargent Michael Pearce, who is her present-day husband. They have one son together.

In 1982 an unusual reaction to a cortisone shot she received on a set led to her being diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Its treatment, which included lithium as a medication, put her on the true road to recovery. Ms. Duke has since become an activist for numerous causes, including an important spokesperson for mental health. In 1985 she was elected president of the Screen Actors Guild, the second woman to hold the position (Duke held the job until 1988). She has written her autobiography Call Me Anna (ISBN 0553272055) and Brilliant Madness: Living with Manic Depressive Illness (ISBN 0553560727)

2000s

On November 2, 2004, it was announced that Duke would undergo single bypass surgery in her adoptive home state of Idaho, which was very successful. In 2002 she returned to New York to appear as "Aunt Eller" in a revival of Oklahoma. Also in 2005, she returned again to New York to attend a memorial service for actress and old co-star from The Miracle Worker, Anne Bancroft, who had died of cancer earlier in the year.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:30 am
Good morning Letty my love. I'm finished now you you can resume without fear of my ceaseless postings. There's certainly a great deal of diversity today. Hope you and our faithful audience enjoy them. Hugs and kisses Babe.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:50 am
Bod, er, make that Bob. <smile> I read every single one of your bio's, hawkman. I was particularly interested in Charlie Rich, so I found this song to play for you:

A Very Special Love Song

Babe, somewhere I know I'm gonna find it Babe
It'll have my love behind it
And it will be a symphony of all you mean to me
A very special love song

And Babe,
If there's a way you know I'm gonna say it Babe
If there's a melody I'll play it and I'll play it through
Especially for you
And all the words are true
A very special love song

So don't be surprised if your sitting alone
And you hear it
'Cause I'm gonna sing it to the whole big lonely world
So turn your radio way down low and get near it
And I'll tell the world
I love you girl

Babe, if there's an ounce of love
I'm gonna give it to you Babe
If there's a breath of life
I'm gonna live it everyday for you
And oh the whole night through singing just for you
A very special love song
For You

http://www.nrk.no/img/325925.jpeg

The Silver Fox. Razz
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 07:54 am
Funny but I was called the Silver Fox at the Thirsty Scholar on the Somerville/Cambridge border when I sang there.
0 Replies