WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:08 am
McTag, it's good to hear from you, Brit.

Well, folks. It seems our man in Asia will soon be our man in Manchester.

Hmmmm. Keep it country and Eastern? I'm not certain what to play for our McTag. Any suggestions, folks?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:20 am
Here's the second verse of the Indian doctor's song, as sung by Peter Sellers:

My initial diagnosis
Rules out measles and thrombosis
Sleeping sickness, and, as far as I can tell
Influenza, inflammation
Whooping cough and night starvation
And indeed it would appear that
Both your eyeballs are so clear that
I can positively swear that
You are well...

(da da, da da dada)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:22 am
from the band cornershop, an east india by way of london collective comes this country tinged nugget

Good To Be on the Road Back Home
(T. Singh)

And by the time that she gets home
She'll re-a-lise that I am gone
I'll be sitting in a back bar drinkin'

Drinking to my friends
And drinking to my foes
For both keep a young heart moving.

It's good to be on the trail
From where my heart set sail
Puttin anchor down
For friends and good beer

So I'll have another one
Then I'll be moving on.

It's good to be on the road back home again.
Again

And by the time that he arrives
He will read, I have lied
He'll go drinking to his friends and to his foes.

But drinking in the devil
That tears one apart, leaving
Memories of what should have been and wasn't.

Son petit business
In Tokyo town
Italy for the apples
To where my heart is now.

Now it's giddy up or whoa
"and I'm afraid it's good to be back on the road home."

Again.

"I swear I meant to leave Chattanoogah, but"
But I had another one.
And I realised where I'd gone
And I realised what I'd done
I need to be on the first bus back
Into her arms
It's good to be on road back home

Too many nights
In dirty London town
Italy for the apples
To where my heart is now.

For I've lost myself, searchin'
For what I ain't

Leave Chattanooga
Walk in to New York City
Aeroplane down to Nippon ground
Meets some friends in Tokyo-town
Across to West Maluva
Showboat to West Malay
Leave my foes to their woes
Sometimes "that's how it goes"

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:31 am
Ah, Peter Sellers. Great song, McTag, and it gave me a smile:

Hey, dj. Nice to see our man in Canada. Thanks for the Road dedication song to our Brit.

Here's some news from the world of archaeology:

Va. Tribe Plans Burial for Indian Skull By SUE LINDSEY, Associated Press Writer
Mon Dec 12, 5:09 PM ET

ROANOKE, Va. - Virginia tribal leaders are planning a springtime burial for a possibly 300-year-old Indian skull that was turned over to them by a New York chiropractor, who found it in a closet and tried to sell it on eBay.

Kenneth Branham, chief of the Monacan tribe, believes the skull belonged to one of a group of American Indians whose remains were dug up in western Virginia in 1901.

New York City chiropractor Steven Mendola said he found the skull while cleaning out a closet in the office he took over from a chiropractor who had died. It had stickers bearing the words "Suponi" and "Roanoke, Va.," and the dates "1671-1701."

Mendola put the skull up for auction on eBay earlier this year, drawing bids of $150 and $152.50 and the attention of a Roanoke television news reporter.

WSLS-TV's Dan Reany figured out that "Suponi," which Mendola assumed was an Italian name, was actually a mangling of "Saponi," a tribe from the Roanoke area related to the Monacans who now live in the area.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:32 am
Good morning all.

Like the Dave Barry column, Letty.

While you're all warbling Eastern Country music, I'll just slip in a quick Happy Birthday to:

Christopher Plummer (born in Toronto, Ontario on December 13, 1929)

http://www.ditmoetjezien.nl/images/155x0/y9i6181md23318533v9s0p49.jpghttp://www.spotlightcd.com/hallfame/portraits/christopher_plummer.jpghttp://www.nndb.com/people/316/000023247/plummer-port.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 06:36 am
Ah, Raggedy. Thanks for that picture. What a great looking man is Christopher. I had no idea that he was a Canuck.

Need to do a bit of research now on his illustrious career.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 08:12 am
Well, folks. I just found out that Christopher Plummer was a key player in the movie, National Treasure. I suppose if there are two documents that should mean something to us, and the world, it would be The U.S. Constitution and The Declaration of Independence.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:23 am
Alvin York
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.

Alvin Cullum York (December 13, 1887 - September 2, 1964) was a United States soldier, famous for his heroism in World War I.

York was born in Pall Mall, Tennessee, the third of 11 children born to William York and the former Mary Elizabeth Brooks. As was typical of the area and times, his family subsisted by farming and hunting. As a result, young Alvin became an expert marksman in the area woods.

York was something of a "nuisance" as a youth, frequently getting into drunken brawls. In 1914 his best friend was killed in a bar fight, prompting York to change his ways. He became a devout Christian after that incident, which supposedly led him to file as a conscientious objector at the start of WWI (though there are disputes as to his exact technical status).

York eventually was drafted into the 82nd Infantry Division in 1917. As a corporal in its 328th Infantry, in the Battle of Meuse River-Argonne Forest on 1918 October 8, he assumed command of his detachment after three other NCOs fell. While he is sometimes described as acting single-handedly, his official citation says he led seven others in a charge on an active machine-gun nest. They killed 25 German soldiers and captured 132, including four officers. (He is said to have explained this feat by saying they had surrounded the enemy.) His chain of command honored this accomplishment by awarding him the Distinguished Service Cross. France, whose forces he was directly aiding and whose territory was involved, added its Croix de Guerre and Legion of Honor. Italy and Montenegro, also allies, awarded him their Croce di Guerra and War Medal, respectively. At the time of his heroics, he was in fact only a corporal; his promotion to sergeant was part of the honor that he received for his valor but resulted in his becoming known to the US (and much of the world) as "Sergeant York".

On April 18, 1919, York received the highest decoration that the United States awards, the Medal of Honor.

Returning home as a war hero, he founded a private agricultural institute in Jamestown, Tennessee, near his home town of Pall Mall. The Alvin C. York Agricultural Institute never thrived under his management and was eventually turned over to the State of Tennessee. It still serves as the public high school for the northern part of Fentress County, Tennessee despite being operated by the State Department of Education; theoretically any qualified high school student from any part of Tennessee can attend school there in order to study agriculture, but in practice almost all of the students are from the immediate area. York later operated a mill in Pall Mall on the Wolf River which is today part of a state park. The state of Tennessee provided him with a large (by the standards of the area, at least) white frame home near the mill on U.S. Highway 127, which still stands. He died September 2, 1964, of a cerebral hemorrhage and was buried in at the Wolf River Cemetery in Pall Mall.

Sergeant York, a 1941 movie, told his story, with Gary Cooper playing the title role.

The United States Army named its "DIVAD" anti-aircraft weapon the "Sergeant York" to honor him in the 1980s; however this project was cancelled due to technical problems.

On May 5, 2000, the United States Postal Service issued the Distinguished Soldiers stamps in which York was honored.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_York
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:25 am
Van Heflin

Emmett Evan Heflin Jr., better known as Van Heflin (December 13, 1910 - July 23, 1971) was an American film and theater actor.

Born in Walters, Oklahoma of French and Irish descent, Heflin began his acting career on Broadway in the early 1930 before being signed to a contract by RKO Studios. His first film A Woman Rebels (1936) featured him opposite Katharine Hepburn, and although he received good reviews, RKO did not try to build his potential. Signed by MGM Studios in 1940 he was cast in Santa Fe Trail (1940), and Johnny Eager (1941), winning an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for the latter performance.

MGM began to groom him as a leading man in "B Pictures", and provided him with strong supporting roles in more prestigious productions. Among his film credits are Presenting Lily Mars (1943), The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946), Possessed (1947), The Prowler (1951), Shane (1953) and the lead in the 1948 film noir Act of Violence.

He also returned to perform on stage throughout his acting career. His stage credits include The Philadelphia Story on Broadway opposite Katharine Hepburn.

His last major role was in the film Airport (1970). He's played "D. O. Guerro", a failure who hopes to "redeem" himself by blowing himself up on an airliner so his wife (played by Maureen Stapleton) can collect on a life insurance policy.

On July 6, 1971, he was stricken with a heart attack while in a swimming pool. He managed to get to the pool's ladder, where he held on until found later in the day. He lay unconscious for days, apparently never regaining consciousness. Van Heflin died at Cedars of Lebanon Hospital on July 23, 1971. He was 60 years old.

He had left instructions forbidding a public funeral. Instead, his cremated remains were scattered on the ocean. Heflin was a sailor before becoming an actor.

Van Heflin has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for his contributions to motion pictures at 6309 Hollywood Boulevard, and for television at 6125 Hollywood Boulevard.

He was the brother of Daytime Emmy nominated actress Frances Heflin, who died of lung cancer at the age of 70 in 1994.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Heflin
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:27 am
Curd Jürgens

Curd Jürgens (December 13, 1915 - June 18, 1982) was a German stage and motion-picture actor.

Sometimes misspelt "Curt Jurgens" outside German-speaking Europe, he was born in Solln, Bavaria, Germany. He began his working career as a journalist before becoming an actor at the urging of his actress wife, Louise Basler. He spent much of his early acting career on the stage in Vienna.

Critical of the Nazis in his native Germany, in 1944 he was shipped to a concentration camp for "political unreliables." Jürgens survived and after the war became an Austrian citizen. However, like many multilingual German-speaking actors, he went on to play soldiers in innumerable war movies. Notable performances in this vein include a medative officer in the epic The Longest Day, and the character of General von Roon in the miniseries based on Herman Wouk's book, The Winds of War. His breakthrough screen role came in Des Teufels General (1955, The Devil's General) and he came to Hollywood following his appearance in the sensational 1956 Roger Vadim directed French film Et Dieu... créa la femme (And God Created Woman) starring Brigitte Bardot. In 1957, Jürgens made his first Hollywood film, The Enemy Below. Jürgens became an international film star. He eventually garnered the role of the villain in Roger Moore's favourite James Bond film in The Spy Who Loved Me as the sociopathic industrialist seeking to transform the world into an ocean paradise.

Although he appeared in over 100 films, Jürgens considered himself primarily a stage actor. He directed a few films with limited success, and also wrote screenplays. Curd Jürgens was married five times; one of his wives was actress Eva Bartok (1927-1998). Showing his sense of humor, he titled his 1975 autobiography "Sixty and Not Yet Wise".

Jürgens maintained a home in France but frequently returned to Vienna to perform on stage and that was where he died of a heart attack in 1982. He was interred in the city's Zentralfriedhof. Jürgens had suffered another heart attack several years before. During this he had a terrifying experience where he claimed he died and went to hell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curd_Jurgens
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:29 am
Ross Macdonald

This article is about Ross Macdonald, the author. For the Canadian sailor see Ross MacDonald.

Ross Macdonald is the pseudonym of American-Canadian writer of mystery fiction and detective fiction Kenneth Millar (December 13, 1915 - July 11, 1983). Born in Los Gatos, California, in the San Francisco Bay area, in 1915, Millar was raised in his parents' native Canada, where he started college. There he met and married the former Margaret Sturm in 1938. He began his career writing stories for pulp magazines. While doing graduate study at the University of Michigan, he completed his first novel, The Dark Storm, in 1944. At this time, he wrote under the name John Macdonald, in order to avoid confusion with his wife, who was achieving her own success writing as Margaret Millar. He then changed briefly to John Ross Macdonald before settling on Ross Macdonald, in order to avoid mixups with contemporary John D. MacDonald. After serving at sea as a naval communications officer from 1944-46, he returned to Michigan, where he obtained his PhD degree in 1951.

Macdonald first introduced the popular detective Lew Archer, the tough but humane private eye who would inhabit some twenty of his novels, in The Moving Target in 1949. This novel would become the basis for the 1966 Paul Newman film, Harper. (Why the character's name was changed is unclear.) In the early 1950s, he returned to California, settling for some thirty years in Santa Barbara, the area where most of his books were set. (Macdonald's fictional name for Santa Barbara was Santa Teresa; this "pseudonym" for the town was subsequently resurrected by Sue Grafton, whose "alphabet novels" are also set in Santa Barbara.) The very successful Lew Archer series, including bestsellers "The Goodbye Look", "The Underground Man", and "Sleeping Beauty", concluded with "The Blue Hammer" in 1976. Lew Archer derives his name from Sam Spade's partner Miles Archer, and from Lew Wallace, author of Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ.

Heir to Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler as the master of American "hard boiled" mysteries, his writing built on the pithy style of his predecessors by adding psychological depth and insights into the motivations of his characters. Macdonald's plots were complicated, and often turned on Archer's unearthing family secrets of his clients and of the criminals who victimized them. Even his regular readers seldom saw a Macdonald denouement coming. Macdonald's writing was hailed by genre fans and literary critics alike. Author William Golding called his works "the finest series of detective novels ever written by an American author". He died in Santa Barbara in 1983.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Macdonald
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:34 am
This was recorded in Sammy Davis Jr.s' house in Los Angeles. The Band rented it and converted a poolhouse into a studio to record their second album. In an interview, (Robbi) Robertson explains that when writing this he had to play piano very quietly. He also had to whisper the tune and lyrics to himself because his new born baby was sleeping in the next room.

Virgil Caine is the name, and I served on the Danville train,
'Til Stoneman's cavalry came and tore up the tracks again.
In the winter of '65, We were hungry, just barely alive.
By May the tenth, Richmond had fell, it's a time I remember, oh so well,

(Chorus)
The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, and the bells were ringing,
The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, and the people were singin'. They went
La, La, La, La, La, La, La, La, La, La, La, La, La, La,

Back with my wife in Tennessee, When one day she called to me,
"Virgil, quick, come see, there goes Robert E. Lee!"
Now I don't mind choppin' wood, and I don't care if the money's no good.
Ya take what ya need and ya leave the rest,
But they should never have taken the very best. (Chorus)

Like my father before me, I will work the land,
Like my brother above me, who took a rebel stand.
He was just eighteen, proud and brave, But a Yankee laid him in his grave,
I swear by the mud below my feet,
You can't raise a Caine back up when he's in defeat. (Chorus and fade)
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:34 am
Dick Van Dyke

Richard Wayne Van Dyke (born December 13, 1925 in West Plains, Missouri), usually credited as Dick Van Dyke, is a noted American television and movie actor. He is most famous for his starring roles on The Dick Van Dyke Show (with Mary Tyler Moore) in the 1960s and Diagnosis: Murder as Dr. Sloan in the 1990s.

Early days

Van Dyke's first major role was on stage in Bye Bye Birdie in 1960, for which he won a Tony Award. He then starred in his own highly-rated and critically acclaimed sitcom, The Dick Van Dyke Show, about a staff of writers for The Alan Brady Show, a fictional TV variety show conceptually based on the 1950s hit, Your Show of Shows. The show divided its time between office and home, giving young supporting player Mary Tyler Moore a good deal of exposure. The Dick Van Dyke Show ran for five seasons. In the lead role of Rob Petrie, Van Dyke won three Emmy Awards.

Movies

Van Dyke slowly transitioned out of television into movie acting in Bye Bye Birdie (1963), What a Way to Go! (1964) and, most notably, Walt Disney's Mary Poppins (1964), in which he played Bert, a Cockney chimney sweep, and also played, in heavy disguise, the elderly owner of the bank. His attempt at a Cockney accent (and his tendency to lapse into and out of it) was widely ridiculed (especially in the U.K.), but the very popular and innovative film also showed his versatility as a singer and dancer. One of his showcase songs, "Chim Chim Chiree," won the Oscar for the film's songwriting team.

After the mid-1960s, Van Dyke was in a number of relatively unsuccessful movies, though one, a children's film called Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, is still well-known, especially with the recent stage musical.

Dramatic Roles and Career comeback

In 1974 Van Dyke uncharacteristically appeared in his first dramatic role, as an alcoholic businessman in the television movie The Morning After (1974). He received wide acclaim and an Emmy nomination. Regarded by many as the most realistic television film ever made dealing with alcoholism, it is sometimes shown at treatment centers. The final scene in particular is regarded by many as chilling and unforgettable. It was at this time that Van Dyke admitted he had recently overcome a real-life drinking problem.

His career seemed essentially over by 1989 when Dick Van Dyke started a career comeback. First, he took a guest starring role on NBC's hit TV series The Golden Girls (a role that earned him his first Emmy nomination since 1977). The next year in 1990, Van Dyke, whose usual role had been the amiable hero, took a small, but villainous turn as the crooked D.A Fletcher in Warren Beatty's movie Dick Tracy. Though his role in the movie was very small, he received positive reviews in that role. In truth, it was not the first time Van Dyke had took a villainous role. In 1975, he played a murdering photographer in a TV movie of the popular series Columbo, and in 1986, he starred in the first episode of the TV series Matlock starring Andy Griffith (who had also tried to break his good guy image be playing villains in both crime dramas, and TV movies. In that episode, Van Dyke played a man who murdered his wife and then presided over her murder trial. The reviews he recieved for Tracy led him to star in a series of TV movies on CBS that became the foundation for his popular television drama, Diagnosis: Murder, which ran from 1993 to 2001.

Influence

Van Dyke was a great admirer of Stan Laurel and even gave the eulogy at his funeral. He also produced a TV special soon afterward, "A Tribute to Stan Laurel". He once met Laurel and told him he had copied a great deal from him. He said Laurel only laughed and said "I've noticed that".

Other Interests

Van Dyke received a Grammy Award for his performance on the soundtrack to Mary Poppins.

Personal life

Dick Van Dyke is the older brother of actor Jerry Van Dyke, who is best known for his role on the TV series Coach. Dick's son Barry Van Dyke and grandson Carry Van Dyke are also actors: Barry, Carry and other Van Dyke relations and grandchildren acted with Dick on various episodes of the long-running Diagnosis: Murder series.

During the Dick Van Dyke Show, he also was fighting alcoholism, which he successfully conquered. He has also served as an elder in the Presbyterian Church.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Van_Dyke

Chim Chim Cher-ee :: Dick Van Dyke

Chim chiminey
Chim chiminey
Chim chim cher-ee!
A sweep is as lucky
As lucky can be

Chim chiminey
Chim chiminey
Chim chim cher-oo!
Good luck will rub off when
I shake 'ands with you
Or blow me a kiss
And that's lucky too

Now as the ladder of life
'As been strung
You may think a sweep's
On the bottommost rung

Though I spends me time
In the ashes and smoke
In this 'ole wide world
There's no 'appier bloke

Chim chiminey
Chim chiminey
Chim chim cher-ee!
A sweep is as lucky
As lucky can be

Chim chiminey
Chim chiminey
Chim chim cher-oo!
I shake 'ands with you
Or blow me a kiss
And that's lucky too

Chim chiminey
Chim chiminey
Chim chim cher-ee!
A sweep is as lucky
As lucky can be

Chim chiminey
Chim chiminey
Chim chim cher-oo!
I shake 'ands with you
Or blow me a kiss
And that's lucky too

Chim chiminey
Chim chiminey
Chim chim cher-ee!
When you're with a sweep
You're in glad company

No where is there
A more 'appier crew
Than them wot sings
"Chim chim cher-ee
Chim cher-oo!"
On the chim chiminey
Chim chim cher-ee
Chim cher-oo!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:11 am
Ah, Bob of Boston and our loving hawkman, we are once again in your debt for your delightful bios. Personally, I always learn something about people that I thought that I knew and didn't. Of particular interest to me was Dick Van Dyke as it is very difficult for a comedian to be cast in the role of villain, and vice versa.

Well, Mr. dys, that is one song I really like, and the idea that Robbi wrote and played the thing in hushed circumstances is endearing. Thanks, cowboy.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:30 am
Poems by Senator and Presidential Candidate Eugene McCarthy
In Memoriam, a sample of poems by Senator and Presidential Candidate Eugene McCarthy.

THE MAPLE TREE

The maple tree that night
Without a wind or rain
Let go its leaves
Because its time had come.
Brown veined, spotted,
Like old hands, fluttering in blessing,
They fell upon my head
And shoulders, and then
Down to the quiet at my feet.
I stood, and stood
Until the tree was bare
And have told no one
But you that I was there.

MY LAI CONVERSATION

How old are you, small Vietnamese boy?
Six fingers. Six years.
Why did you carry water to the wounded soldier, now dead?
Your father.
Your father was enemy of free world.
You also now are enemy of free world.
Who told you to carry water to your father?
Your mother!
Your mother is also enemy of free world.
You go into ditch with your mother.
American politician has said,
"It is better to kill you as a boy in the elephant grass of Vietnam
Than to have to kill you as a man in the rye grass in the USA."
You understand.
It is easier to die
Where you know the names of the birds, the trees, and the grass
Than in a stranger country.
You will be number 128 in the body count for today.
High body count will make the Commander-in-Chief of free world much encouraged.
Good-bye, small six-year-old Vietnamese boy, enemy of free world.

VIETNAM MESSAGE

We will take our corrugated steel
out of the land of thatched huts.

We will take our tanks
out of the land of the water buffalo.

We will take our napalm and flame throwers
out of the land that scarcely knows the use of matches.

We will take our helicopters
out of the land of colored birds and butterflies.

We will give back your villages and fields
your small and willing women.

We will leave you your small joys
and smaller troubles.

We will trust you to your gods,
some blind, some many-handed.

COURAGE AFTER SIXTY

Now it is certain.
There is no magic stone.
No secret to be found.
One must go
With the mind's winnowed learning.
No more than the child's handhold
On the willows bending over the lake,
On the sumac roots at the cliff edge.
Ignorance is checked,
Betrayals scratched.
The coat has been hung on the peg,
The cigar laid on the table edge,
The cue chosen and chalked,
The balls set for the final break.
All cards drawn,
All bets called.
The dice, warm as blood in the hand,
Shaken for the last cast.
The glove has been thrown to the ground,
The last choice of weapons made.

A book for one thought.
A poem for one line.
A line for one word.

"Broken things are powerful."
Things about to break are stronger still.
The last shot from the brittle bow is truest.

THE DEATH OF THE OLD PLYMOUTH ROCK HEN

It was tragic when her time came
After a lifetime of laying brown eggs
Among the white of leghorns.
Now, unattractive to the rooster,
Laying no more eggs,
Faking it on other hens' nests,
Caught in the act,
Taken to the woodpile
In the winter of execution.

A quick stroke of the axe,
One first and last upward cast
Of eyes that in life
Had looked only down,
Scanning the ground for seeds and worms
And for the shadow of the hawk.
Now those eyes are covered
By yellow lids,
Closing from the bottom up.

Decapitated, she did not act
Like a chicken with its head cut off.
No pirouettes, no somersaults,
No last indignity.
Like an English queen, she died.
On wings that had never known flight.
She flew, straight into the woodpile,
And there beat out slow death
While her curdled voice ran out in blood.

A scalding and a plucking of no purpose.
No goose feathers for a comforter.
No duck's down for a pillow.
No quill for a pen.
In the opened body, no entrail message for the haruspex.
Not one egg of promise in the oviduct.
In the gray gizzard, no diamond or emerald,
But only half-ground corn,
Sure evidence of unprofitability.
The breast and legs,
The wings and thighs,
The strong heart,
The pope's nose,
Fit only for chicken soup and stew.
And then in March, near winter's end,
When bloodied and feathered wood is used,
The odor of burnt offerings
Above the kitchen stove.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:38 am
Welcome back, BBB. We have discussed McCarthy's death and your additional poems added to the tribute.Thank you, dear.

Now another song for the Chicago gathering:

The Night Chicago Died
( Paper Lace )

Daddy was a cop on the east side of Chicago
Back in the U.S.A. back in the bad old days

In the heat of a summer night
In the land of the dollar bill
When the town of Chicago died
And they talk about it still

When a man named Al Capone
Tried to make that town his own
And he called his gang to war
With the forces of the law

I heard my mama cry
I heard her pray the night Chicago died
Brother what a night it really was
Brother what a fight it really was
Glory be!

I heard my mama cry
Brother what a night the people saw
Brother what a fight the people saw
Yes indeed!

And the sound of the battle rang
Through the streets of the old east side
'Til the last of the hoodlum gang
Had surrendered up or died

There was shouting in the street
And the sound of running feet
And I asked someone who said
"'Bout a hundred cops are dead!"

I heard my mama cry
Glory be!

I heard my mama cry
Yes indeed!

And ther was no sound at all
But the clock upon the wall ......
Then the door burst open wide
And my daddy stepped inside
And he kissed my mama's face
And he brushed her tears away

The night Chicago died
(Na-na na, na-na-na, na-na-na)
The night Chicago died
Yes indeed!

The night Chicago died
The night Chicago died
Glory be!

The night Chicago died
The night Chicago died
Yes indeed!
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:32 pm
Letty wrote:
Well, folks. I just found out that Christopher Plummer was a key player in the movie, National Treasure. I suppose if there are two documents that should mean something to us, and the world, it would be The U.S. Constitution and The Declaration of Independence.

CP was great in TSOM and also as a villain in one of the Star Trek movies... (Scotty where ever you are)

I am in such awe when CP takes the stage...

The man sings like a charmer too.
I also didn't know he was from Canada, the accent always throws me...
I get CP sometimes confused with Max von Sydow. Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:49 pm
You know, Rex, the ability of a man or woman to transform themselves into other people must be the most difficult thing in the world to do. (I didn't know Chris sang, either)

In an idle moment of searching, listeners, I found this poem which is the most gentle way to say goodbye that I have ever read. Poets, too, must become one with the universe:

EXPIRATION

The country of your first breath
haunts every one
except your last.

That last breath
will take you beyond
the breaths you were.

Whatever treasures have fastened
around your understanding
lift now.

The book of life advanced,
your chapter
describing what you wanted.

Your desires fell
like dominos
between worlds.

Those pipes
underground
always siphoning you.

In this dense land of bizarre
beauty,
exhaust wafted in windows.

The only home
you knew, here
they spoke your name.

But now you cant recall it,
and without a name
you step into your last breath.

WOW!
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:53 pm
Letty wrote:
You know, Rex, the ability of a man or woman to transform themselves into other people must be the most difficult thing in the world to do. (I didn't know Chris sang, either)

In an idle moment of searching, listeners, I found this poem which is the most gentle way to say goodbye that I have ever read. Poets, too, must become one with the universe:

EXPIRATION

The country of your first breath
haunts every one
except your last.

That last breath
will take you beyond
the breaths you were.

Whatever treasures have fastened
around your understanding
lift now.

The book of life advanced,
your chapter
describing what you wanted.

Your desires fell
like dominos
between worlds.

Those pipes
underground
always siphoning you.

In this dense land of bizarre
beauty,
exhaust wafted in windows.

The only home
you knew, here
they spoke your name.

But now you cant recall it,
and without a name
you step into your last breath.

WOW!

Letty, hope all is well with you...

Chris sang in "The Sound of Music" he played the father Von Trapp...

Edelweiss etc...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 02:01 pm
You know, Rex. That's really the only song that I felt kin to in The Sound of Music. I remember, now.

Artist: the Captain Lyrics
Song: Edelweiss Lyrics

Edelweiss, Edelweiss
Every morning you greet me
Small and white, clean and bright
You look happy to meet me

Blossom of snow may you bloom and grow
Bloom and grow forever

Edelweiss, Edelweiss
Bless my homeland forever
0 Replies