WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 04:07 pm
Victor, that is one by Kris that I am not familiar with, buddy. He was a prolific writer and performer. Thanks, Maryland, for playing that love song.

Well, folks, I know that I know Cleo Laine, and I was stunned to see her amazing credentials. She did everything from classical to pop and has a bunch of degrees from impressive universities.

Found this familiar song that she did, however.

Please don't talk about me when I'm gone,
Oh, honey,
Though our friendship ceases from now on,
And listen,
If you can't say anything that's nice,
It's better not to talk at all,
Is my advice,
We're parting,
You go your way,
I'll go mine,
It's best that we do,
Here's a kiss!
I hope that this brings,
Lots of luck to you.
Makes no difference how I carry on,
Remember,
Please don't talk about me when I'm gone.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 05:44 pm
I've undoubtedly posted this before, but I don't care. I am playing it because I need to hear it again.

They say ev'rything can be replaced,
Yet ev'ry distance is not near.
So I remember ev'ry face
Of ev'ry man who put me here.
I see my light come shining
From the west unto the east.
Any day now, any day now,
I shall be released.

They say ev'ry man needs protection,
They say ev'ry man must fall.
Yet I swear I see my reflection
Some place so high above this wall.
I shall be released.

Standing next to me in this lonely crowd,
Is a man who swears he's not to blame.
All day long I hear him shouting so loud,
Crying out that he was framed.
I shall be released.

Bob Dylan
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 06:25 pm
edgar, As a matter of fact, I just had a request for that very song. Popular minstrels like Dylan, are always in demand, Texas. He understands the people, no?

I was thinking of this one as I drove home on A1A and looked at the ocean and the deepening dusk.

Louis Armstrong

Give me a kiss to build a dream on
And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss
Sweetheart, I ask no more than this
A kiss to build a dream on

Give me a kiss before you leave me
And my imagination will feed my hungry heart
Leave me one thing before we part

When I'm alone with my fancies...i'll be with you
Weaving romances...making believe they're true

Give me your lips for just a moment
And my imagination will make that moment live
Give me what you alone can give

(instrumental break)

When I'm alone with my fancies...i'll be with you
Weaving romances...making believe they're true

Give me a kiss to build a dream on
And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss
Ah sweetheart, I ask no more than this
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 07:16 pm
Cold Cold Heart
I'm going to bed in a few minutes but before I do
I'm dedicating this song to all the women that I know!

Cold Cold Heart by Hank Williams

I tried so hard my dear to show that youre my every dream.
Yet youre afraid each thing I do is just some evil scheme
A memory from your lonesome past keeps us so far apart
Why cant I free your doubtful mind and melt your cold cold heart

Another love before my time made your heart sad and blue
And so my heart is paying now for things I didnt do
In anger unkind words are said that make the teardrops start
Why cant I free your doubtful mind,and melt your cold cold heart

Youll never know how much it hurts to see you sat and cry
You know you need and want my love yet youre afraid to try
Why do you run and hide from lies,to try it just aint smart

There was a time when I believed that you belonged to me
But now I know your heart is shackled to a memory
The more I learn to care for you,the more we drift apart
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 07:32 pm
Goodnight, Victor, and I, myself, will be going shortly. I love that song by Hank, buddy, but this is still my favorite.

Hear that lonesome whippoorwill
He sounds too blue to fly
The midnight train is whining low
I'm so lonesome I could cry

I've never seen a night so long
When time goes crawling by
The moon just went behind a cloud
To hide its face and cry

Did you ever see a robin weep
When leaves begin to die?
Like me he's lost the will to live
I'm so lonesome I could cry

The silence of a falling star
Lights up a purple sky
And as I wonder where you are
I'm so lonesome I could cry,

Goodnight, my friends
From Letty with love
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 04:22 am
The Rose By Bette Midler
The Rose By Bette Midler

Some say love, it is a river
That drowns the tender reed
Some say love, it is a razor
That leaves your soul to bleed
Some say love, it is a hunger
An endless aching need
I say love, it is a flower
And you, its only seed

It's the heart, afraid of breaking
That never learns to dance
It's the dream, afraid of waking
That never takes the chance
It's the one who won't be taken
Who cannot seem to give
And the soul, afraid of dying
That never learns to live

When the night has been too lonely
And the road has been too long
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong
Just remember in the winter
Far beneath the bitter snows
Lies the seed
That with the sun's love, in the spring
Becomes the rose
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 04:30 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

That's a lovely song by Bette, Victor, and you are right. It is the story of Janis Joplin's short life.

For some reason, folks, this song by Duran Duran surfaced in my mind, so let's give a listen, shall we?

Do you believe in love?
Do you believe in shame?
And if love can conquer all then why do we only feel the pain?

I heard you speak my name, heard you singing The Stones,
Maybe heard you laughing in a line of static on my telephone

So why are your eyelids closed, inside a case of rust,
And did you have to change all your poets fire into frozen dust?

I've tried to justify it, to learn from your mistake,
But where's the stupid lie that has to make it's point -
With such a pointless waste.

Come out...

Do you believe in shame?
Do you believe in love?
And if they taste the same would you love again or abandon both?

I don't think I ever can, belive my friend has gone,
Keep saying it's alright,
I'm going to bring you back but I know I'm wrong.
There's nothing I can say, there's nothing left to do
It's just that lately I feel so damn lonely when I think of you

And it may seem selfish now, but I'll hold on to the memory
Until all this fear is washed away

Do you believe in love?
Do you believe in life?
'Cos I believe a little part of you inside of me will never die..

'Cos I Believe a little part of you inside of me will never die..
'Cos I believe a little part of you inside of me will never die..
'Cos I believe a little part of you inside of me will never... die.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 05:27 am
Gower Champion
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gower Champion (June 22, 1919 - August 25, 1980) was a Tony Award-winning American theatre director, choreographer, and dancer.

Born Gower Carlyle Champion in Geneva, Illinois, he was raised in Los Angeles, California, where he graduated from Fairfax High School [1]. He studied dance from an early age and at the age of fifteen toured nightclubs with friend Jeanne Tyler billed as "Gower and Jeanne, America's Youngest Dance Team."

During the late 1930s and early 40s, Champion worked on Broadway as a solo dancer and choreographer. After serving in the U.S. Coast Guard during World War II, Champion met Marjorie Belcher, who became his new partner, and the two were married in 1947. Throughout the 1950s, they performed on a number of television variety shows, and in 1957 they starred in their own short-lived CBS sitcom, The Marge and Gower Champion Show, which was based on their actual career experiences. During this period, they also made several film musicals, including the 1951 remake of Show Boat (with Howard Keel and Kathryn Grayson), the autobiographical Everything I Have is Yours (1952), Give a Girl a Break (1953), and Three for the Show (1955).

In 1948, Champion had begun to direct as well, and he won the first of eight Tony Awards for his staging of Lend an Ear, the show that introduced Carol Channing to New York theater audiences. From then on he was involved in an eclectic mixture of both smash hits (Hello, Dolly!) and dismal flops (A Broadway Musical, which closed after one performance, and Prettybelle, which closed during its pre-Broadway run in Boston).

Champion never lived to enjoy one of his most successful runs. In 1980, he choreographed and directed a stage adaptation of the movie classic, 42nd Street. During the show's tryout in Washington, D.C., he learned he had a rare form of blood cancer, and after numerous curtain calls on opening night, producer David Merrick stunned the cast and audience by announcing Champion had died earlier that day.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 05:31 am
Kris Kristofferson

Birth name Kristoffer Kristofferson
Born June 22, 1936 (1936-06-22) (age 71)
Brownsville, Texas
Spouse(s) Fran Beir (1960-1969)
Rita Coolidge (1973-1980)
Lisa Meyer (1983-)
Notable roles David in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974)
John Norman Howard in A Star is Born (1976)
Abraham Whistler in the Blade Trilogy (1998), (2002) & (2004)
Bronson in Payback (1999)
Golden Globe Awards

Best Actor - Motion Picture Musical/Comedy
1977 A Star Is Born

Kristoffer Kristofferson (born June 22, 1936) is an influential American country music songwriter, singer and actor. He is best known for hits such as "Me and Bobby McGee", "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down", and "Help Me Make It Through the Night". Kristofferson is the sole author of most of his songs, but he has collaborated with various other figures of the Nashville scene such as Shel Silverstein and Fred Foster.

Early life

Kristofferson was born in Brownsville, Texas. Like most military brats he moved around much as a youth; he finally settled down in San Mateo, California, where he graduated from San Mateo High School. Kristofferson's father was an Air Force general who pushed his son toward a military career. Kristofferson got his first dose of fame when he appeared in Sports Illustrated's "Faces In The Crowd" for his achievements in rugby, football, and track and field. An aspiring writer, Kristofferson earned a Rhodes Scholarship to Oxford University (Merton College, Oxford) after previously attending Pomona College. While in England, Kristofferson began writing songs and working with his manager Larry Parnes; he recorded for Top Rank Records under the name Kris Carson, but was unsuccessful.

As an undergraduate, Kristofferson was a member of the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity.

In 1960, Kristofferson graduated with a master's degree in English literature and married an old girlfriend, Fran Beer. His studies of literature are reflected in his song, "The Best of All Possible Worlds"; the French writer Voltaire satirized similar ideas of philosophical optimism in his short novel Candide.

Kristofferson ultimately joined the U.S. Army and achieved the rank of captain. He became a helicopter pilot after receiving flight training at Fort Rucker in southeastern Alabama. Later, during the early 1960s, he was stationed in West Germany and returned to music and formed a band. In 1965, he resigned his commission to pursue songwriting. He had just been assigned to become an English Literature professor at West Point. Kristofferson sent some of his compositions to a friend's relative, Marijohn Wilkin, a successful Nashville, Tennessee, songwriter.

Music career

Kristofferson moved to Nashville after resigning his commission in 1965, intent on becoming a professional songwriter. He worked a variety of odd jobs while struggling to make it in the music business, burdened with expensive medical bills as a result of his son's defective esophagus. He and his wife soon divorced.

He got a job sweeping floors at Columbia Studios in Nashville. There he met Johnny Cash, who initially took some of his songs but ignored them. During Kristofferson's time working as a janitor for Columbia, Bob Dylan was recording his landmark 1966 album Blonde on Blonde at the studio. Though Kristofferson was able to watch some of the sessions, he never got to meet Dylan because he was afraid that he would be fired for approaching him.

He was also working as a commercial helicopter pilot at the time for a south Louisiana firm called Petroleum Helicopters International (PHI), based in Lafayette, Louisiana. Kristofferson recalled of his days as a pilot, "That was about the last three years before I started performing, before people started cutting my songs. . . . I would work a week down here [in south Louisiana] for PHI, sitting on an oil platform and flying helicopters. Then I'd go back to Nashville at the end of the week and spend a week up there trying to pitch the songs, then come back down and write songs for another week. . . . I can remember 'Help Me Make It Through The Night' I wrote sitting on top of an oil platform. I wrote 'Bobby Mcgee' down here, and a lot of them [in south Louisiana]."[1]

In 1966, Dave Dudley released a successful Kristofferson single, "Viet Nam Blues". The following year, Kristofferson signed to Epic Records and released a single, "Golden Idol"/"Killing Time", but the song was not successful. Within the next few years, more Kristofferson originals hit the charts, performed by Roy Drusky ("Jody and the Kid"), Billy Walker & the Tennessee Walkers ("From the Bottle to the Bottom"), Ray Stevens ("Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down"), Jerry Lee Lewis ("Once More with Feeling") Faron Young ("Your Time's Comin'") and Roger Miller ("Me and Bobby McGee", "Best of all Possible Worlds", "Darby's Castle"). He also gained some success as a performer himself, due to Johnny Cash's introduction of Kristofferson at the Newport Folk Festival. He got Cash's attention when he landed his helicopter in Cash's yard and gave him some tapes.

Kristofferson signed to Monument Records as a recording artist. The label was run by Fred Foster, also manager of Combine Music, Kristofferson's songwriting label. His debut album for Monument in 1970 was Kristofferson, which included a few new songs as well as many of his previous hits. Sales were poor, although this debut album would become a success the following year when it was re-released under the title Me & Bobby MeGee. Kristofferson's compositions were still in high demand. Ray Price ("For the Good Times"), Waylon Jennings ("The Taker"), Bobby Bare ("Come Sundown"), Johnny Cash ("Sunday Morning Coming Down") and Sammi Smith ("Help Me Make It Through the Night") all recorded successful versions of his songs in the early 1970s. "For the Good Times" (Ray Price) won 'Song of the Year" in 1970 from the Academy of Country Music, while "Sunday Morning Coming Down" (Johnny Cash) won the same award from the Academy's rival, the Country Music Association in the same year. This is the only time an individual has won the same award from these two organizations in the same year for different songs.

In 1971, Janis Joplin, a very influential vocalist, had a #1 pop hit with "Me and Bobby McGee" from her posthumous Pearl. More hits followed from others: Ray Price ("I Won't Mention It Again", "I'd Rather Be Sorry"), Joe Simon ("Help Me Make It Through the Night"), Bobby Bare ("Please Don't Tell Me How the Story Ends"), O.C. Smith ("Help Me Make It Through the Night") Jerry Lee Lewis ("Me and Bobby McGee"), Patti Page ("I'd Rather Be Sorry") and Peggy Little ("I've Got to Have You"). Kristofferson released his second album, The Silver Tongued Devil and I in 1971; the album was a success and established Kristofferson's career as a recording artist in his own right. Not long after, Kristofferson made his acting debut in The Last Movie (directed by Dennis Hopper) and appeared at the Isle of Wight Festival. In 1972, he acted in Cisco Pike and released his third album, Border Lord; the album was all-new material and sales were sluggish. He also swept the Grammies that year with numerous songs nominated and several winning song of the year. Kristofferson's 1972 fourth album, Jesus Was a Capricorn initially had slow sales, but the third single, "Why Me", was a success and significantly increased album sales.

Film career

For the next few years, Kristofferson focused on acting. He appeared in Blume in Love (directed by Paul Mazursky) and Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (directed by Sam Peckinpah) and also married Rita Coolidge in 1973. With his new wife, Kristofferson released an album called Full Moon, another success buoyed by numerous hit singles and Grammy nominations. However, his fifth album, Spooky Lady's Sideshow was a commercial failure, setting the trend for most of the rest of his career. Artists like Ronnie Milsap and Johnny Duncan continued to record Kristofferson's material with much success, but his amazing yet none-the-less rough voice and anti-pop sound kept his own audience to a minimum. He continued acting, in Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, Convoy, (another Sam Peckinpah film which was released in 1978), Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Vigilante Force, a film based on the Yukio Mishima novel The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea, and A Star Is Born (with Barbra Streisand). In spite of his success with Streisand, Kristofferson's career was heading downward with the non-charting ninth album, Shake Hands with the Devil. His next film, Freedom Road, did not earn a theatrical release in the U.S. He and Rita Coolidge then divorced in 1980. Meanwhile, more artists were taking his songs to the top of the charts, including Willie Nelson, whose Willie Nelson Sings Kris Kristofferson LP was a smash success. Kristofferson's next film was Heaven's Gate, a phenomenal failure that temporarily ended his acting career.

Later career

In 1982, Kristofferson participated (with Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, and Brenda Lee) on The Winning Hand, a country success that failed to break into mainstream audiences. He then married again, to Lisa Meyers, and concentrated on films for a time, appearing in The Lost Honor of Kathryn Beck, Flashpoint and Songwriter. The latter also starred Willie Nelson. Kristofferson was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song Score. Music from Songwriter (an album of duets between Nelson and Kristofferson) was a massive country success.

Nelson and Kristofferson continued their partnership, and added Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash to form the supergroup The Highwaymen. Their first album, Highwayman was a huge success, and the supergroup continued working together for a time. In 1985, Kristofferson starred in Trouble in Mind and released Repossessed, a politically aware album that was a country success, particularly "They Killed Him" (also performed by Bob Dylan), a tribute to his heroes, including Martin Luther King, Jr., Jesus, and Mohandas Gandhi. Kristofferson also appeared in Amerika at about the same time; the mini-series was controversial, hypothesizing life under Communist domination.

In spite of the success of Highwayman 2 in 1990, Kristofferson's solo recording career slipped significantly in the early 1990s, though he continued to record successfully with the Highwaymen. Lone Star (1996 film) reinvigorated Kristofferson's acting career, and he soon appeared in Blade, Blade II, Blade: Trinity, A Soldier's Daughter Never Cries, Fire Down Below, Tim Burton's remake of Planet of the Apes, Payback, The Jacket and Fast Food Nation.

Kristofferson was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1985 and the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1977. 1999 saw the release of The Austin Sessions. An album on which Kristofferson reworked some of his favorite songs with the help of befriended artists such as Mark Knopfler, Steve Earle and Jackson Browne. In 2003 Broken Freedom Song was released, a live album recorded in San Francisco.

In 2004 he was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame. In 2006, he received the Johnny Mercer Award from the Songwriters Hall of Fame and released his first album full of new material in 11 years; This Old Road. On April 21 2007, Kristofferson won CMT's Johnny Cash Visionary Award. Rosanne Cash, Cash's daughter, presented the honor during the April 16 awards show in Nashville. Previous recipients include Cash, Hank Williams Jr., Loretta Lynn, Reba McEntire and the Dixie Chicks. "John was my hero before he was my friend, and anything with his name on it is really an honor in my eyes," Kristofferson said during a phone interview. "I was thinking back to when I first met him, and if I ever thought that I'd be getting an award with his name on it, it would have carried me through a lot of hard times."
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 05:33 am
Klaus Maria Brandauer
Jump to: navigation, search
Klaus Maria Brandauer

Klaus Maria Brandauer, spring 2003 in Biberach/Riß
Birth name Klaus Georg Steng
Born June 22, 1944 (1944-06-22) (age 62)
Bad Aussee, Austria
Years active 1962-
Spouse(s) Karin Braundauer (1963-1992)
Notable roles Mephisto
Never Say Never Again
Klaus Maria Brandauer (born June 22, 1944) is an Austrian actor and director.

Contents [hide]
1 Biography
2 Selected filmography
3 Trivia
4 External links

[edit] Biography
Born Klaus Georg Steng in Bad Aussee, Austria, he subsequently took his mother's maiden name, Maria Brandauer, as his stage name. Brandauer began acting onstage in 1962. After working in national theatre and television, he made his film debut in 1972. His starring and award-winning role in István Szabó's Mephisto (1981) as a self-absorbed actor playing an actor, launched his international career. He followed this with parts in Never Say Never Again (1983), Out of Africa (1985, for which he was nominated for an Oscar) and Szabó's Oberst Redl (1985) and Hanussen (1988).

He directed his first film in 1989, Georg Elser - Einer aus Deutschland, with himself in the title role. His other film roles have been in The Lightship (1986), Streets of Gold (1986), Burning Secret (1988), The Russia House (1990), White Fang (1991), Becoming Colette (1992), Introducing Dorothy Dandridge (1999) and Everyman's Feast (2002).

He was married to Karin Brandauer from 1963 until her death in 1992. They had one son.

He has acted in four languages: German, Hungarian, English and French.

In August, 2006, Brandauer's much-awaited production of The Threepenny Opera got a mixed reception, with cheers for German rock star Campino of the band Die Toten Hosen as Mack the Knife, but scattered boos for the "conventional" staging. Brandauer had resisted questions about how his production of Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill's classic musical comedy about the criminal MacHeath would differ from earlier versions, and his production featured Mack the Knife in a three-piece suit and white gloves, stuck to Brecht's text, and avoided any references to contemporary politics or issues. Some at Friday night's premiere apparently found it too conventional and there were boos after the curtain for Brandauer when he took his bow.

He is also professor at the prestigious Max-Reinhardt-Seminar in Vienna, Austria.

Trivia

Was originally cast as Marko Ramius in The Hunt for Red October. That role eventually went to Oscar winner Sean Connery, who played James Bond to Brandauer's Largo in Never Say Never Again (1983). He co-starred with Connery again in The Russia House, released in 1990.
Won a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor in 1986 for his performance as Bror Blixen in Out of Africa.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 05:38 am
Meryl Streep

Birth name Mary Louise Streep
Born June 22, 1949 (1949-06-22) (age 58)
Summit, New Jersey, USA
Spouse(s) Don Gummer
Academy Awards

Best Actress
1982 Sophie's Choice
Best Supporting Actress
1979 Kramer vs. Kramer

Emmy Awards

Best Actress in a Mini-series
1978 Holocaust
2004 Angels in America

Golden Globe Awards

Best Actress - Motion Picture Drama
1982 The French Lieutenant's Woman
1983 Sophie's Choice
Best Supporting Actress - Motion Picture
1980 Kramer vs. Kramer
2003 Adaptation.
Best Actress - Mini-series
2004 Angels in America
Best Actress - Motion Picture Musical or Comedy
2007 The Devil Wears Prada
BAFTA Awards

Best Actress in a Leading Role
1981 The French Lieutenant's Woman
Screen Actors Guild Awards

Best Actress - Miniseries/TV Movie
2003 Angels in America
César Awards

Life Achievement Award (2003)
AFI Awards

Life Achievement Award (2004)

Mary Louise Streep, mostly known as Meryl Streep (born June 22, 1949) is a two-time Academy Award-winning, six-time Golden Globe-winning, two-time SAG-winning, Grammy Award-nominated and BAFTA Award-winning American actress who has worked in theatre, television, and film. She is the most nominated actress in Academy Award history with 14 nominations. She is widely considered one of the most respected and talented actresses of all time. Streep made her professional stage debut in 1971's The Playboy of Seville and her screen debut came in 1977's made-for-television movie The Deadliest Season. She is also one of the select actors that has won all three major motion picture acting awards (Oscars, Golden Globes, SAG Awards).

Streep made her film debut in 1977's Julia opposite Jane Fonda and Vanessa Redgrave. Both critical and commercial success came quickly with roles in The Deer Hunter with Robert De Niro and Kramer vs. Kramer with Dustin Hoffman, the former giving Streep her first Oscar nomination and the latter her first win.

Biography

Early life

Streep was born Mary Louise Streep in Summit, New Jersey, the daughter of Harry William Streep, Jr.,[1] a pharmaceutical executive, and Mary W., a commercial artist.[2] Streep's mother had Swiss, Irish and English ancestry and Streep's father's family was of Dutch descent, with distant Sephardic Jewish ancestors from Spain, although Streep is not Jewish.[3][4][5] She has two younger brothers, Dana and Harry.[6] Streep was raised in Bernardsville, New Jersey. She received her B.A. in Drama at Vassar College and earned a M.F.A. from the Yale School of Drama at Yale University.

Early career

In her first feature film, Julia (1977), she had a small but pivotal role during a flashback scene. The Deer Hunter (1978) was her second feature film and it earned Streep her first Academy Award nomination, for Best Supporting Actress. The following year, she won an Academy Award for her role opposite Dustin Hoffman in Kramer vs. Kramer (Best Supporting Actress, 1979). In 1982, she would win again for Sophie's Choice (Best Actress, 1982), where she starred alongside Peter MacNicol.

In 1978, she won her first Emmy Award, for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or TV Movie, for the miniseries Holocaust. A year later she appeared in her only Woody Allen film, Manhattan. Streep was engaged to The Deer Hunter co-star John Cazale ("Fredo" in The Godfather) until his death from bone cancer on March 12th, 1978. In September 1978, she married sculptor Don Gummer. They have four children: Henry W. (Hank) (born in 1979), Mary Willa (Mamie)(born in 1983), Grace Jane (born in 1986), and Louisa Jacobson (born in 1991). Mamie Gummer has chosen acting as a career, and made her off-Broadway debut as Lucy in a 2005 production of Mr. Marmalade at the Laura Pels Theatre.

Later career and recent credits

In the 1980s, Streep appeared in the acclaimed films The French Lieutenant's Woman, Silkwood (1982) with Kurt Russell and Cher, Out of Africa with Robert Redford, and Ironweed, with Jack Nicholson. In A Cry in the Dark Streep portrayed Lindy Chamberlain, the Australian mother who was accused of being responsible for the death of her infant after claiming that a dingo took her baby. From 1984 to 1990, Streep won six People's Choice Awards for Favorite Motion Picture Actress and, in 1990, was named "World Favorite".

In the 1990s Streep took a greater variety of roles, including a strung-out B-film actress in a screen adaptation of Carrie Fisher's novel Postcards from the Edge with Dennis Quaid and Shirley MacLaine, and a farcical role in Death Becomes Her with Goldie Hawn and Bruce Willis. Streep also appeared in the movie version of Isabel Allende's The House of the Spirits, Clint Eastwood's screen adaptation of The Bridges of Madison County, The River Wild, She-Devil, Marvin's Room (with Diane Keaton and Leonardo DiCaprio), One True Thing and Music of the Heart, in a role that required her to learn to play the violin.

She was a voice actress for the animated series The Simpsons playing Reverend Timothy Lovejoy's daughter, and King of the Hill. She also voiced the Blue Fairy character in the Steven Spielberg film, A.I..

In 2002, she co-starred with Nicolas Cage in Spike Jonze's quirky Adaptation, as real-life author Susan Orlean; and with Nicole Kidman and Julianne Moore in The Hours. She also appeared with Al Pacino and Emma Thompson in the HBO adaptation of Tony Kushner's six-hour play Angels in America, in which she had four roles. She received her second Emmy Award for Angels in America, which reunited her with director Mike Nichols, who directed her in Silkwood, Heartburn and Postcards from the Edge.

In addition, she appeared in Jonathan Demme's remake of The Manchurian Candidate co-starring Denzel Washington, in which Streep played a role made famous by Angela Lansbury. She also starred with Jim Carrey in Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. Since 2002, Meryl Streep has hosted the annual event Poetry & the Creative Mind, a benefit in support of National Poetry Month, a program of the Academy of American Poets. Streep has also co-hosted the annual Nobel Peace Prize Concert with Liam Neeson in Oslo, Norway in 2001. The winner of the prize was United Nations secretary general Kofi Annan.

Streep's most recent film releases are Prime (2005), the Robert Altman film A Prairie Home Companion with Lindsay Lohan and Lily Tomlin and the box-office success The Devil Wears Prada with Anne Hathaway which grossed nearly $125 million dollars and earned Streep the 2007 Golden Globe award for Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy. On January 23, 2007, Streep earned her 14th Academy Award nomination (her 11th for Best Actress) for The Devil Wears Prada. Streep's newest film Dark Matter debuted at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival.

She has also been confirmed for the role of Donna in the film version of the ABBA musical Mamma Mia!.

Theatre

In New York City, she appeared in the 1976 Broadway double-bill of Tennessee Williams' 27 Wagons Full of Cotton and Arthur Miller's A Memory of Two Mondays, for which she received a Tony Award nomination for Best Featured Actress in a Play. Her other early Broadway credits include Anton Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard and the Bertolt Brecht-Kurt Weill musical Happy End. She received Drama Desk Award nominations for both productions. Once Streep's film career flourished, she took a long break from stage acting.

In July 2001, Streep returned to the stage for the first time in more than twenty years, playing Arkadina in the Public Theater's revival of Anton Chekhov's The Seagull. The staging, directed by Mike Nichols, also featured Kevin Kline, Natalie Portman, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Christopher Walken, Marcia Gay Harden and John Goodman.

In August and September 2006, she starred onstage at the Public Theater's production of Mother Courage and Her Children at the Delacorte Theatre in Central Park.[7] The show performed to crowds that lined up for hours, sometimes in the pouring rain, to get highly coveted seats. It was originally written by Bertolt Brecht in 1939 and first performed in 1941. The Public Theater production was a new translation by famed playwright Tony Kushner (Angels in America) with songs in the Weill/Brecht style written by composer Jeanine Tesori (Caroline, or Change). Veteran director George C. Wolfe was at the helm. Streep starred alongside Kevin Kline and Austin Pendleton in this three and a half hour play, in which she sang several songs and was in nearly every scene.

Awards

Streep holds the record for the most Academy Award nominations of any actor, having been nominated fourteen times since her first nomination in 1979 for The Deer Hunter (11 for Best Actress and 3 for Best Supporting Actress).

Meryl Streep also holds the record for actress with the most Golden Globe Awards for films with 6 wins. She is also the second-most nominated performer for a Golden Globe Award (she has twenty-one nominations to Jack Lemmon's twenty-two). Streep is also tied with Jack Nicholson for most Golden Globes overall by an actor or actress (6 wins). Streep has received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 05:45 am
Lindsay Wagner

Lindsay Jean Wagner (born June 22, 1949) is an Emmy Award winning actress.

Early life

Wagner was born in Los Angeles, California. When she was seven years old, her parents divorced and her mother moved with her to the northeast Los Angeles neighborhood of Eagle Rock, near Pasadena. Wagner might have been able to begin her acting career as a teenager. She was offered a lead role in a TV series at age 13, but was advised by family friend James Best to wait until she was older.

Another move with her mother and stepfather (Ted Ball) brought her to Portland, Oregon where she attended David Douglas High School and appeared in a number of school plays. She studied at the University of Oregon, overcoming dyslexia to become a successful student.

Career

She worked as a model in Los Angeles and gained some television experience by appearing as a hostess in Playboy After Dark. However, it wasn't until she contacted a friend at Universal Studios and was cast for a small part in Marcus Welby, M.D. that her acting career took off. Her appearances helped her win roles in the films Two People and as the girlfriend of a Harvard Law School student in The Paper Chase.

Wagner then played Jaime Sommers, a former tennis pro who was the childhood sweetheart of The Six Million Dollar Man. Jaime was critically injured in a skydiving accident, and at the urging of Steve Austin, was equipped with bionic limbs. But Jaime's body rejected the bionics, and she died.

This was intended to be Wagner's last role under her Universal contract, but public response was so overwhelming that Jaime was brought back to life with her own spin-off series, The Bionic Woman. This role earned her an Emmy Award in 1977. Like Steve Austin, Jaime became an agent for the fictitious U.S. Government agency, the O.S.I., though, suffering from amnesia, she could not remember her love for Austin.

Wagner continues to act. Her largest roles have been in several made-for-TV movies about Steve Austin and Jaime Sommers. Recently, she appeared in commercials and infomercials for Select Comfort's Sleep Number bed.

In 1987, she wrote a series of books with Robert M. Klein about using acupressure to achieve results akin to a surgical facelift.

Personal life

Wagner has been married four times. From 1971-73, she was married to music publisher Allan Rider. From late 1976-1979, she was married to the actor and writer, Michael Brandon. Then in 1981, she married Henry Kingi, a stuntman whom she met on the set of The Bionic Woman. Wagner bore two sons with Kingi: Dorian (b. 1982) and Alex (b. 1986). Lindsay married TV producer Lawrence Mortorff in 1990, but then divorced a couple of years later.

She is related to Dallas star Linda Gray by marriage, as Gray's husband is one of Lindsay's uncles. She and Gray played romantic rivals, both in love with Marc Singer in the television movie, The Two Worlds of Jenny Logan (1979).

Civic activities

Wagner is on the board of directors of the Teen Talking Circle Project and is an active supporter of Girls Talking Circles.

Trivia

Wagner made her motion picture debut in director Robert Wise's anti-Vietnam War drama Two People (1973), opposite Peter Fonda. She played a famous fashion model while Fonda played a Vietnam War deserter she falls in love with on a trip through Morocco. In his autobiography, Fonda wrote that Wagner spent a night comforting him, but emphasized that there was "no sex" involved.

She won the Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for The Bionic Woman in 1977. She also was nominated twice for the Golden Globe as Best TV Actress - Drama for The Bionic Woman in 1977 and '78.

Wagner was known for displaying a natural beauty by wearing no makeup at all. It was rumored that she fought with the TV execs for The Bionic Woman to allow her with no makeup because she felt her character shouldn't be running around looking like a fashion model ala Charlie's Angels.

Wagner was scheduled to be a passenger on American Airlines Flight 191 from Chicago to Los Angeles on May 25, 1979, but she felt uneasy about flying that day. Wagner skipped the flight, which crashed only moments after takeoff, killing everyone on board.[citation needed]

She played convicted killer Barbara Graham in a 1983 version of I Want to Live!.

She appears on an infomercial for Select Comfort beds.

Lindsay used to babysit country music star Glen Campbell's children.

Books

High Road to Health: A Vegetarian Cookbook by Lindsay Wagner and Ariane Spade (1994) ISBN 0-671-87277-X
Lindsay Wagner's New Beauty: The Acupressure Facelift by Lindsay Wagner and Robert M. Klein (1987) ISBN 0-13-536806-5
30-Day Natural Face Lift Program by Lindsay Wagner and Robert M. Klein (1988) ISBN 0-86188-779-4
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 05:49 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 05:54 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 05:56 am
1. Can you make a word using these letters?

PNLLEEEESSSSS

2. Tomorrow today will be yesterday, and yesterday today
was tomorrow.When tomorrow is yesterday, today will be
as near to Sunday as today was when yesterday was tomorrow.
What day is it?

3. Can you name ten parts of the human body (no slang words)
that have only three letters?

4. Make 1000 by using only eight 8's.

5. A chemist discovered that a certain chemical reaction took
80 minutes when he wore a wool jacket. But when he wasn't
wearing the jacket, the same reaction always took an hour
and 20 minutes. Can you explain?
____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _____
Scroll down if you 'really' don't know the answers.

t

t

t

t

1. Sleeplessness

2. Wednesday

3. eye, ear, lip, arm, leg, rib, hip, toe, gum, jaw,
Few people get more than seven.

4. 8 + 8 + 8 + 88 + 888 = 1000

5. Eighty minutes is, of course, exactly the same as one hour and
20 minutes.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 06:14 am
Good morning, hawkman. Well, Boston, you really had a brain teaser for our listeners, and since my brain hasn't had a jump start, I didn't EVEN try that one. Thanks, Bob, for the great bio's. Lots of interesting background on the celeb's, some of which surprised me.

Well, folks, let's get this song out of the way and over with, shall we?

Cyndi Lauper

I come home in the morning light
My mother says when you gonna live your life right
Oh mother dear we're not the fortunate ones
And girls they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have fun

The phone rings in the middle of the night
My father yells what you gonna do with your life
Oh daddy dear you know you're still number one
But girls they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have -

That's all they really want
Some fun
When the working day is done
Girls - they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have fun

Some boys take a beautiful girl
And hide her away from the rest of the world
I want to be the one to walk in the sun
Oh girls they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have

That's all they really want
Some fun
When the working day is done
Girls - they want to have fun
Oh girls just want to have fun,
They want to have fun,
They want to have fun....

Lyrics are certainly better than the arrangement.

When that puppy pads in with pics, that will be our battery charger. Razz
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 07:15 am
http://www.abcdogtraining.com/still/dalmation01.gif padding in with Kris, Klaus, Meryl, Lindsay, Cyndi and Freddie (on the left). Very Happy

http://www.gregsgrooves.com/imagesf-l/kristofferson_easter.jpghttp://aboplus.niedersachsen.com/aboplus/files/Brandauer_story.jpg_1164205561.jpghttp://images.wbur.org/content/2006/03/08/merylstrepp.jpg
http://www.librarising.com/astrology/moonsigns/Simages/lindsaywagner.jpghttp://www.songlyricscollection.com/lyrics/c/cyndi-lauper/wanna-have-fun/wanna-have-fun.jpghttp://tvguide.com/images/pgimg/chico-and-the-man.jpg

(Hey Bob: Got 9 out of 10 of those body parts.
Failed everything else.)

And a Good Day to all.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:42 am
My, my, that pup has lovely eyes. <smile> Marvelous array of familiar faces today, Raggedy, and thank you again for the identification, PA.

Well, folks. We have done several songs by Kris, and one by Cyndi, so I think we'll do a great song by Scatman Crothers who also starred in Chico and the Man. What a fabulous guy, and he was the one that recognized that the kid in The Shinning had "the shine". Too bad that the man had to wait fifty years for recognition, no?

Sunnyside of the Street

Grab your coat and get your hat
Leave your worries on the doorstep
Life can be so sweet
On the sunny side of the street

Can't you hear the pitter-pat
And that happy tune is your step
Life can be complete

I used to walk in the shade with my blues on parade
But I'm not afraid...this rover' s crossed over

If I never had a cent
I'd be rich as rockefeller
Gold dust at my feet

(instrumental break)

I used to walk in the shade with them blues on parade
Now I'm not afraid... this rover has crossed over

Now if I never made one cent
I'll still be rich as rockefeller
There will be goldust at my feet
On the sunny
On the sunny, sunny side of the street
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 11:32 am
Raggedy my sweet love the shot of you padding into our pad. I dedicate this song to you. It's one of my favorites to sing and I'll be singing it tonight.

For the Good Times
Written By Kris Kristofferson
Performed by Ray Price (the Cherokee Cowboy) in 1970
Hit #11 on the Top 40 charts, and #1 on the country charts

Don't look so sad, I know it's over
But life goes on and this old world will keep on turning
Let's just be glad we had some time to spend together
There's no need to watch the bridges that we're burning

Lay your head upon my pillow
Hold your warm and tender body close to mine
Hear the whisper of the rain drops flowing soft against the window
And make believe you love me one more time
For the good times

I'll get along, you'll find another
And I'll be here if you should find you ever need me
Don't say a word about tomorrow or forever
There'll be time enough for sadness when you leave me

For the good times
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 11:41 am
bobsmythhawk wrote:
Raggedy my sweet love the shot of you padding into our pad. I dedicate this song to you. It's one of my favorites to sing and I'll be singing it tonight.

For the Good Times
Written By Kris Kristofferson
Performed by Ray Price (the Cherokee Cowboy) in 1970
Hit #11 on the Top 40 charts, and #1 on the country charts

Don't look so sad, I know it's over
But life goes on and this old world will keep on turning
Let's just be glad we had some time to spend togetherThere's no need to watch the bridges that we're burning

For the good times

I'll get along, you'll find another
And I'll be here if you should find you ever need me
Don't say a word about tomorrow or forever
There'll be time enough for sadness when you leave me