WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 07:41 pm
Ah, Dino, hbg. Was he the lush that he claimed to be? Love that song, Canada.

Victor, Thanks for that list, buddy. References are always appreciated here on our little cyber radio.

Well, all. It's time for me to say goodnight, so I shall let Romberg do it for me.

Overhead, the moon is beaming
White as blossoms on the bough
Nothing is heard but the song of a bird
Filling all the air with dreaming
Could I hear this song forever
Calling to my heart anew, my Darling
While I drift along forever
Lost in a dream of you

I hear your voice in the wind that stirs the willows
I see your face in the stars that shine above
(Hold me closer, tonight we love)
The willows bending, the stars that shine
The shore lights blending, they're yours and mine
Drifting along, in my heart there's a song
And the song in my heart will not fade
Oh, hear my serenade, my moonlight serenade

(Love me)

Overhead, the moon is beaming
White as blossoms on the bough
Nothing is heard but the song of a bird
Filling all the air with dreaming
Could this beauty last forever
I would ask for nothing more, believe me
Let this night but live forever
Forever and ever more

From Letty with love
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 08:05 pm
Winterlude, Winterlude, oh darlin',
Winterlude by the road tonight.
Tonight there will be no quarrelin',
Ev'rything is gonna be all right.
Oh, I see by the angel beside me
That love has a reason to shine.
You're the one I adore, come over here and give me more,
Then Winterlude, this dude thinks you're fine.

Winterlude, Winterlude, my little apple,
Winterlude by the corn in the field,
Winterlude, let's go down to the chapel,
Then come back and cook up a meal.
Well, come out when the skating rink glistens
By the sun, near the old crossroads sign.
The snow is so cold, but our love can be bold,
Winterlude, don't be rude, please be mine.

Winterlude, Winterlude, my little daisy,
Winterlude by the telephone wire,
Winterlude, it's makin' me lazy,
Come on, sit by the logs in the fire.
The moonlight reflects from the window
Where the snowflakes, they cover the sand.
Come out tonight, ev'rything will be tight,
Winterlude, this dude thinks you're grand.

Bob Dylan
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 04:13 am
Judy Holliday
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Judith Tuvim
Born 21 June 1921
New York, USA
Died 7 June 1965
New York, New York, USA
Spouse(s) Dave Oppenheim
Academy Awards

Best Actress
1950 Born Yesterday

Judy Holliday (June 21, 1921-June 7, 1965) was an Academy Award and Tony Award-winning American actress.

Biography

Early life

Born Judith Tuvim ("Tuvim" is Yiddish for "Holiday") in New York City, she was the only child of Abe and Helen Tuvim, Jewish immigrants from Russia. Her first job was as an assistant switchboard operator at the Mercury Theatre run by Orson Welles and John Houseman.

Career

She began her show business career in December, 1938, as part of a nightclub act called "The Revuers". The other four members of the group were Betty Comden, Adolph Green, Alvin Hammer and John Frank. The Revuers were a staple of the New York nightlife scene until they disbanded in early 1944.

Holliday made her Broadway debut on March 20, 1945, at the Belasco Theatre in Kiss Them for Me and was one of the recipients that year of the Clarence Derwent Award. In 1946, she was back on Broadway, as the scatterbrained Billie Dawn in Born Yesterday. Author Garson Kanin had written the play specifically for his friend, the brilliant but difficult Jean Arthur. Arthur played the role of Billie out-of-town, but after many complaints and illnesses, resigned. Kanin chose Holliday as her replacement.

In 1949, she was cast in a supporting role opposite Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy on film in one of the year's biggest comedies, Adam's Rib. She then got the chance to star in the film version of Born Yesterday the following year, having portrayed Billie in the Broadway play for four years. She won the Golden Globe and Academy Award for Best Actress, beating out such formidable competitors as Gloria Swanson, who was nominated for Sunset Boulevard and Bette Davis for All About Eve.

Investigated for Communism

In 1950, Holliday was the subject of an FBI investigation looking into allegations that she was a Communist. The investigation "did not reveal positive evidence of membership in the Communist Party" and was concluded after three months. Unlike many others tainted by the Communist scandal, she was not blacklisted from movies, but she was blacklisted from performing on radio and television for almost three years.

In 1952, she was called to testify before the Senate Internal Security Subcommittee to "explain" why her name had been linked to Communist front organizations. In spite of her 172 IQ,[citation needed] she was advised to play dumb (like some of her film characters) and did so excellently. She used this technique to avoid giving up names of people she knew to be Communists.

Later life and death

In 1956 she starred in The Solid Gold Cadillac, and, in 1960 in Bells Are Ringing, in the role she had originated on Broadway in 1956, and for which she had won the 1957 Tony Award for Best Leading Actress in a Musical.

In 1965 she died from breast cancer at the age of 43, survived by her young son, Jonathan Oppenheim, by her ex-husband, clarinetist and conductor David Oppenheim. She was interred in the Westchester Hills Cemetery in Hastings-on-Hudson, New York. Jonathan Oppenheim grew up to become a documentary film editor of note, editing Paris is Burning, Children Underground, and Arguing the World.

Holliday has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6901 Hollywood Blvd.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 04:15 am
Jane Russell

Birth name Ernestine Jane Geraldine Russell
Born June 21, 1921
Bemidji, Minnesota.

Jane Russell (born June 21, 1921) is an American actress and sex symbol. She was born Ernestine Jane Geraldine Russell in Bemidji, Minnesota.

Early life

Jane Russell was born in Bemidji, Minnesota, the only daughter of Roy William Russell (January 5, 1890-July 18, 1937) and Geraldine Jacobi (January 2, 1891-December 26, 1986). Her four younger brothers are Thomas Ferris Russell (born April 16, 1924), Kenneth Steven Russell (born September 2, 1925), James Hyatt Russell (born February 9, 1927) and Wallace Jay Russell (born January 31, 1929).

Her parents were both born in North Dakota. Three of her grandparents were born in Canada, while her paternal grandmother was born in Germany. Her parents married in 1917. Her father was a former commissioned First Lieutenant in the U.S. Army and her mother was a former actress with a road troupe. When Jane was a child they moved temporarily to Canada, then moved to the San Fernando Valley of Southern California. They lived in Burbank in 1930 and her father worked as an office manager at a soap manufacturing plant.

Jane's mother arranged for her to take piano lessons. In addition to music, she was interested in drama and participated in stage productions at Van Nuys High School. Her early ambition was to be a designer of some kind, until the death of her father at forty-six, when she decided to work as a receptionist after graduation. She also modeled for photographers and, at the urging of her mother, studied drama and acting with Max Reinhardt's Theatrical Workshop and with famed Russian actress Maria Ouspenskaya.

Entertainment career

In 1940, Russell was signed to a seven year contract by millionaire Howard Hughes and made her motion picture debut in The Outlaw (1943), a story about Billy the Kid that went to great lengths to showcase her voluptuous figure. Although the movie was completed in 1941, it was released for a limited showing two years later. There were problems with the censorship of the production code over the way her ample cleavage was displayed. When the movie was finally passed, it had a general release in 1946. During that time, Russell was kept busy doing publicity and became famous. Contrary to countless incorrect reports in the media since the release of The Outlaw, Jane Russell did not wear the specially designed bra that Howard Hughes constructed for the film. According to Jane's 1988 autobiography she was given the bra, decided it had a mediocre fit and wore her own bra on the film set with the straps pulled down.

Together with Lana Turner and Rita Hayworth, Russell personified the sensuously contoured sweater girl look, though Jane Russell's measurements of 38D-24-36 and height of 5'7 were more statuesque than her contemporaries. Besides the thousands of quips from radio comedians, including Bob Hope once introducing her as "the two and only Jane Russell," the photo of her on a haystack glowering with sulking beauty and youthful sensuality as her breasts push forcefully against her bodice was a popular pin-up with Service men during World War II.

Though The Outlaw was not a spectacular Western, it did well at the box-office. It appeared that Hughes was only interested in her being cast in movies that showcased her sensational figure, however, reportedly refusing an offer from Darryl Zanuck for her to play Doña Sol in Blood and Sand. She was not in another movie until 1946, when she played Joan Kenwood in Young Widow for RKO. Though her early movies did little to show her true acting abilities, they helped parlay her into a career portraying smart, often cynical, tough "broads," with a wisecracking attitude.

In 1947, Russell attempted to launch a musical career, recording a single with the Kay Kyser Orchestra, "As Long As I Live".

She went on to perform with proficiency in an assortment of roles, which includes playing Calamity Jane opposite Bob Hope in The Paleface (1948) on loan out to Paramount; and Mike Delroy opposite Hope in Son of Paleface (1952), again at Paramount.

In the movie Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953).Russell was at the height of her wry comedic talents with her performance as Dorothy Shaw in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953) opposite Marilyn Monroe at 20th Century Fox, which is one of her most memorable roles. The film was well received and showed her as a talented actress.

She appeared in two movies opposite Robert Mitchum, His Kind of Woman (1951) and Macao (1952). Other co-stars include Frank Sinatra and Groucho Marx in the comedy Double Dynamite (1951); Victor Mature, Vincent Price and Hoagy Carmichael in The Las Vegas Story (1952); Jeff Chandler in Foxfire (1955); and Clark Gable and Robert Ryan in The Tall Men (1955).

In Howard Hughes' RKO production "The French Line" (1954), the movie's penultimate moment showed Russell in a form-fitting one-piece bathing suit with strategic cut outs, performing a then-provocative musical number titled "Lookin' for Trouble." In her autobiography, Russell said that the revealing outfit was an alternative to Hughes' original suggestion of a bikini, a very racy choice for a movie costume in 1954. Russell said that she initially wore the bikini in front of her "horrified" movie crew while "feeling very naked."

Russell and her first husband, former Los Angeles Rams quarterback Bob Waterfield, formed Russ-Field Productions in 1955. They produced Gentlemen Marry Brunettes (1955), The King and Four Queens (1956) starring Clark Gable and Eleanor Parker, Run for the Sun (1956) and The Fuzzy Pink Nightgown (1957).

Her performances in Gentlemen Marry Brunettes, opposite Jeanne Crain, and in the drama The Revolt of Mamie Stover (1956) displayed her fine acting ability. But after making The Fuzzy Pink Nightgown (1957), which failed at the box-office, she did not appear on the silver screen again for seven years.

In October 1957, she debuted in a successful solo nightclub act at the Sands Hotel in Las Vegas. She also fulfilled later engagements in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, South America and Europe.

In the Summer of 1961, she debuted with a tour of Janus in New England. In the fall of 1961, she performed in Skylark at the Drury Lane Theatre, Chicago. And in November 1962, she performed in Bells Are Ringing at the Westchester Town House in Yonkers, New York.

Her next movie appearance was in Fate Is the Hunter (1964), in which she was Jane Russell performing for the USO in a flashback sequence. Unfortunately, she made only four more movies after that, playing character parts in the final two.

In 1971, she starred in the musical drama Company on Broadway, replacing Elaine Stritch. Russell performed the role of Joanne in the play for six months. Also in the 1970s, she started appearing in television commercials as a spokeswoman for Playtex "cross your heart bras for us full-figured gals."

She wrote an autobiography in 1985, Jane Russell: My Path and My Detours. In 1989, she received the Women's International Center (WIC) Living Legacy Award.

Jane Russell's hand and foot prints are immortalized in the forecourt of Grauman's Chinese Theater and she has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6850 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood.

Russell was portrayed by Renee Henderson in the 2001 CBS mini-series Blonde, based on the novel by Joyce Carol Oates.

Her family life

Russell had three husbands, Pro Football Hall of Fame member, Robert Bob Waterfield (1920-1983), quarterback, UCLA, NFL Cleveland Rams (1945) & Los Angeles Rams (1946-1952) , NFL head coach Los Angeles Rams, (1960-1962) and producer, (married April 24, 1943-divorced July 1968), actor Roger Barrett (married August 25, 1968-his death November 18, 1968) and real-estate broker John Calvin Peoples (married January 31, 1974-his death April 9, 1999). She and Peoples lived in Sedona, Arizona.

In February 1952 she and Waterfield adopted a baby girl, Tracy. In December 1952 they adopted a fifteen-month-old boy, Thomas, and in 1956 she and Waterfield adopted a nine-month-old boy, Robert John. Russell herself was unable to have children and, in 1955, she founded World Adoption International Fund (WAIF), an organization to place children with adoptive families that pioneered adoptions from foreign countries by Americans. In her 1985 autobiography Russell revealed that she had in fact got pregnant at age 19, and had had a back alley abortion that was so badly botched she almost died. Upon inspecting her in the emergency room her doctor exclaimed "What butcher did this to you!" After that Russell was unable to conceive. Since then Jane has taken a staunch pro-life stance against abortion.

Though her screen image was that of a sex goddess, her private life lacked the sensation and scandal that followed other actresses of the time, such as Lana Turner. Although in her autobiography Jane admitted that she had survived two attempted rapes un-harmed, that her first marriage had been speckled with adultery (on both sides) and violence, and that she had been an alcoholic since she was a teenager. She also revealed that in addition to this however she was also born-again Christian which was one of the things that had helped her cope.

At the height of her career, Russell started the "Hollywood Christian Group," a weekly Bible study at her home for Christians in the movie business that was attended by some of the biggest names. Russell was a prominent Republican who attended the Eisenhower inauguration, along with Lou Costello, Dick Powell, June Allyson, Anita Louise, Louella Parsons, and other conservatives.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 04:19 am
Ron Ely

Birth name Ronald Pierce
Born June 21, 1938 (1938-06-21) (age 69)
Hereford, Texas, USA
Notable roles Tarzan
Doc Savage

Ron Ely (born June 21, 1938) is the stage name of the American actor and novelist born Ronald Pierce in Hereford, Texas. He is best known for starring as Tarzan in the 1966 NBC series Tarzan.

He got the role after playing various bit-parts (including an airplane co-pilot in the 1958 movie South Pacific). His height (6' 4") and athletic build also won him the title role in the 1975 Doc Savage film, as well as various guest shots: In a 1978 Fantasy Island episode, for example, he played Mark Antony in a Roman military short tunic and breastplate that displayed almost as much of his physique as his Tarzan costume had.

In the 1980s, he starred in the series Sea Hunt and hosted the musical game show Face the Music. Additionally, he hosted the 1980 and 1981 Miss America Pageants - replacing longtime host Bert Parks.

In the 1990s, Ely's roles included a retired Superman in a two-part episode of Superboy, and a character named Gordon Shaw in the syndicated Tarzán (starring Wolf Larson).

In recent years Ely has embarked on a successful writing career and has penned two mystery novels featuring private eye Jake Sands: Night Shadows (1994) and East Beach (1995).
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 04:21 am
Mariette Hartley

Mariette Hartley (born Mary Loretta Hartley on June 21, 1940, in Weston, Connecticut) is a prolific American character actress.

She began her career in her teens as a stage actress, coached and mentored by the noted Eva Le Gallienne. Her film career began with Ride the High Country, a classic western with actors Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea; and directed by Sam Peckinpah.

Hartley with Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelley in Star TrekShe has worked with Rod Serling and Gene Roddenberry, two famed creators of television and film science fiction. She first appeared in Serling's 1964 The Twilight Zone episode "The Long Morrow". In 1969, she acted in the next-to-last "Classic" Star Trek episode, All Our Yesterdays (1969), under Roddenberry. She appeared in several science fiction films, Marooned (1969), Earth II (1971), and Genesis II (1973), another Roddenberry production.

On television, she portrayed Dr. Claire Morton, the daughter of Leslie Nielsen's character on the primetime adaption of Peyton Place. In 1978, she appeared in the TV series Logan's Run, based on the film of the same name, and in The Incredible Hulk alongside Bill Bixby for two episodes as Dr. Carolyn Fields. For this role, in which she marries the title character, Ms. Hartley won an Emmy Award. Hartley also co-starred with Bixby in the 1983 sitcom Goodnight, Beantown.

During the late 1970s, Hartley also appeared with James Garner in a popular series of television commercials advertising Polaroid cameras. The two actors worked so well together that it was often erroneously supposed that they were married in real life. Her biography contains a photo of her in a T-shirt proclaiming, "I am NOT Mrs. James Garner." Hartley also guest-starred in a memorable episode of Garner's TV series The Rockford Files during this period. The script required them to kiss at one point. Unknown to them, a paparazzo was photographing the scene from a distance. The photos were run in a tabloid trying to provoke a scandal, causing a good deal of attention.

In the 1990s, she toured with Elliott Gould and Doug Wert in the revival of the mystery Deathtrap.

She has spoken in public about her experience of bipolar disorder, and was a founder of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

She is the author of Breaking The Silence with Anne Commire, and stars in her own one-woman show, If You Get to Bethlehem, You've Gone Too Far, currently running in Los Angeles.

Currently, she plays the mother of Courteney Cox's character, Dorothy Spiller, on the hit drama series, Dirt, on FX Networks. Hartley has also had a recurring role on Law and Order: SVU as attorney Lorna Scarry.

Trivia

Hartley is a granddaughter of American psychologist John B. Watson through Watson's daughter from his first marriage.
At the end of the ABC TV special "The Halloween That Almost Wasn't" (1979), her character of Winnie the Witch transformed into a lady in red similar to Stephanie Mangano from Saturday Night Fever at a disco dance moments after flying on a broom.

Awards and recognition

Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for the episode "Married" of The Incredible Hulk (1978)
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 04:24 am
WORLD'S EASIEST QUIZ

(Passing requires 4 correct answers)

1) How long did the Hundred Years' War last?

2) Which country makes Panama hats?

3) From which animal do we get cat gut?

4) In which month do Russians celebrate the October Revolution?

5) What is a camel's hair brush made of?

6) The Canary Islands in the Pacific are named after what animal?

7) What was King George VI's first name?

8) What color is a purple finch?

9) Where are Chinese gooseberries from?

10) What is the color of the black box in a commercial airplane?

Remember, you need 4 correct answers to pass.

Check your answers below.

ANSWERS TO THE QUIZ

1) How long did the Hundred Years War last? 116 years

2) Which country makes Panama hats? Ecuador

3) >From which animal do we get cat gut? Sheep and Horses

4) In which month do Russians celebrate the October Revolution? November

5) What is a camel's hair brush made of? Squirrel fur

6) The Canary Islands in the Pacific are named after what animal? Dogs

7) What was King George VI's first name? Albert

8) What color is a purple finch? Crimson

9) Where are Chinese gooseberries from? New Zealand

10) What is the color of the black box in a commercial airplane? Orange (of course)

What do you mean, you failed? Me, too.

(And if you try to tell me you passed, you lie!)

Pass this on to some brilliant friends, so they may feel useless too.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 04:56 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

First, I would like to thank our edgar for that unusual song by Bob Dylan. I love the word, "winterlude", Texas, and for once Dylan's song is not as cryptic as one would expect.

My goodness, folks, our hawkman is up quite early today. Thanks Boston Bob for the celeb backgrounds, and the only time that I got a bit suspicious of your test is when I heard the item about the Canary Islands. Since most hurricanes arise there, I knew those isles were not named after a canary.

I know that our Raggedy will not be as enchanted by Ron Ely as she is by another ape man that we know. Razz

Well, I have been searching some time for the lyrics to Song of India, and did find one version, but not the one that my sister provided.

What a surprise to find that Johnny Mercer wrote this one.

SONG OF INDIA
(Music: Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov / Modern Lyrics: Johnny Mercer)

And still the snowy Himalayas rise
In ancient majesty before our eyes,
Beyond the plains, above the pines,
While through the ever, never changing land
As silently as any native band
That moves at night, the Ganges Shines

Then I hear the song that only India can sing,
Softer than the plumage on a black raven's wing;
High upon a minaret I stand
Upon an old enchanted land,
There's the Maharajah's caravan,
Unfolding like a painted fan,
How small the little race of Man!

See them all parade across the ages,
Armies, Kings and slave from hist'ry's pages,
Played on one of nature's vastest stages.
The turbaned Sikhs and fakirs line the streets,
While holy men in shadowed calm retreats
Pray through the night and watch the stars,
A lonely plane flies off to meet the dawn,
While down below the busy life goes on,
And women crowd the old bazaars;

All are in the song that only India can sing,
Softer than the plumage on a black raven's wing;
Tune the ageless moon and stars were strung by,
Timeless song that only could be sung by
India, the jewel of the East.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 05:24 am
Tennessee Ernie Ford 16 Tons

Some people say a man is made outta mud
A poor man's made outta muscle and blood
Muscle and blood and skin and bones
A mind that's a-weak and a back that's strong

You load sixteen tons, what do you get
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store

I was born one mornin' when the sun didn't shine
I picked up my shovel and I walked to the mine
I loaded sixteen tons of number nine coal
And the straw boss said "Well, a-bless my soul"

I was born one mornin', it was drizzlin' rain
Fightin' and trouble are my middle name
I was raised in the canebrake by an ol' mama lion
Cain't no-a high-toned woman make me walk the line

If you see me comin', better step aside
A lotta men didn't, a lotta men died
One fist of iron, the other of steel
If the right one don't a-get you
Then the left one will

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 06:20 am
Good morning, Victor. Love your new avatar, buddy. Your Tennesse Ernie Ford song reminds me of our djjd. (hope he has his pc fixed). He got Tennessee Williams and Tennessee Ernie confused, and we all got a chuckle out of it. Let's listen to a song inspired by Mr. Williams.

A Streetcar Named Desire

Time and time and time again
My loneliness is my only friend.
I just keep on sitting by the phone
Waiting for it to ring your tone.
I just, want to, know that, you care
I just, want to, know that you'll be there.

So I sing this song to you.
Sorry I wasn't, what you were looking for.
But you just don't get it at all.
Life is always better, after the fall.

Pieces are raining down on me.
Wont wait, I can't believe in this or anything at all.
After all you did, why would I care? Why should I care?
After, the pain you caused, why would I care? Why should I care?
I've waited for this so long, why would I care? Why should I care?

Loneliness, sadness, and solitude
These are a few of the things I've been through
Waiting for anything, everyday
Strange that you don't seem to feel the same way
Write me off, bury me and leave me for dead
Open wide, eat your words and choke on regrets

After all you did, why would I care? Why should I care?
After, the pain you caused, why would I care? Why should I care?
I've waited for this so long, why would I care? Why should I care?

Look through me (Tragedy's not so bad)
Remember what was left (Taking me down and more)
Take all I give to you
After what I've been through
Go ahead take it all (I honestly don't care at all)
Set up and ready to fall (Let it fall)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 06:50 am
morning , all !
painter is in the house - time to play with the computer Laughing

Quote:
Jewel - Morning Song Lyrics

Let the phone ring, let's go back to sleep
Let the world spin outside out door, you're the only one that I wanna see
Tell your boss you're sick, hurry, get back in I'm getting cold
Get over here and warm my hands up, boy, it's you they love to hold
And stop thinking about what your sister said
Stop worrying about it, the cat's already been fed
Come on darlin', let's go back to bed
Put the phone machine on hold
Leave the dishes in the sink
Do not answer the door
It's you that I adore-
I'm gonna give you some more
We'll sit on the front porch, the sun can warm my feet
You can drink you coffee with sugar and cream
I'll drink my decaf herbal tea
Pretend we're perfect strangers and that we never met...
My how you remind me of a man I used to sleep with
that's a face I'd never forget
You can be Henry Miler and I'll be Anais Nin
Except this time it'll be even better,
We'll stay together in the end
Come on darlin', let's go back to bed
Put the phone machine on hold
Leave the dishes in the sink
do not answer the door
It's you that I adore-
I'm gonna give you some more

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 07:41 am
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 11:32 am
Good afternoon WA2K. It's awfully quiet at the station today.
Maybe, a good time for some birthday remembrances:

Judy Holliday, that "Born Yesterday" gal, would have been 86 today and
the Outlaw gal, Jane Russell, will be celebrating her 86th . O.C. Smith is (hard to believe) 75 today.

http://www.nndb.com/people/808/000063619/holliday-rwb.jpghttp://www.nndb.com/people/869/000022803/jr6-sized.jpg
http://www.discomusic.com/images/photos/artists/smithoc-covermulti.jpeg
(I liked his version of "Little Green Apples" the best.) Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 12:01 pm
There's our speckled pup, folks. Hey, PA. I thought for certain that you would note the appearance of Ron Ely and strongly object.

Great trio today, Raggedy. Amazing that Jane survived Howard Hughes, no?

I must admit, listeners, that I am not familiar with O.C. Smith, but here is the song about them green apples.

And I wake up in the morning, with my hair down in my eyes,
And she says hi, and I stumble to the breakfast table,
While the kids are going off to school goodbye.
And she reaches out and takes my hand,
Squeezes it, says, how you feelin' hon?
And I look across at smiling lips that warm my heart and see my morning sun.
And if that's not lovin' me, then all I've got to say.
God didn't make little green apples
And it don't rain in Indianapolis in the summertime.
There's no such thing as Dr. Zeuss, Disneyland, and Mother Goose no nurs'ry rhyme.
God didn't make little green apples
And it don't rain in Indianapolis when the winter comes.
There's no such thing as make-believe, puppy dogs, and autumn leaves and B.B. guns.
Sometimes I call her up at home knowing she's busy
And ask if she could get away and meet me, and grab a bite to eat.
And she drops what she's doin' and hurries down to meet me, and I'm always late.
But she sits, waiting patiently and smiles when she first sees me
Cause she's made that way and if that's not lovin' me
Then all I've got to say.

Ronnie can't beat Johnny, can he.

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Mptv/1319/1908_0010.jpg
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 12:35 pm
Aaah. I never even noticed it was Ronny's B.D., Letty. He was rather charming on the TV show "Face the Music".

So, Happy Birthday to Doc Savage, Man of Bronze: (The loincloth belongs to Johnny). Laughing

http://www.cinefania.com/pics/personas/7/7913.jpg

Thanks for those little green apples.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 12:42 pm
Another confession, Raggedy. I didn't know that Ronnie was on Face the Music. As a matter of fact, I don't know what Face the Music is. I do hope that Johnny's loin cloth has been gold plated and is preserved somewhere in the Belgian Congo. Razz
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 01:30 pm
Well, listeners. Jane is still singing. Here's one that she did and written by Steven Sondheim.

Here's to the ladies who lunch--
Everybody laugh.
Lounging in their caftans
And planning a brunch
On their own behalf.
Off to the gym,
Then to a fitting,
Claiming they're fat.
And looking grim,
'Cause they've been sitting
Choosing a hat.
Does anyone still wear a hat?
I'll drink to that.

And here's to the girls who play smart--
Aren't they a gas?
Rushing to their classes
In optical art,
Wishing it would pass.
Another long exhausting day,
Another thousand dollars,
A matinee, a Pinter play,
Perhaps a piece of Mahler's.
I'll drink to that.
And one for Mahler!

And here's to the girls who play wife--
Aren't they too much?
Keeping house but clutching
A copy of LIFE,
Just to keep in touch.
The ones who follow the rules,
And meet themselves at the schools,
Too busy to know that they're fools.
Aren't they a gem?
I'll drink to them!
Let's all drink to them!
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 02:01 pm
"Jane is still singing"? Can't be Johnny's jungle Jane - she's no longer with us.
The Outlaw's girl? What a surprise.

I love that song. Although Elaine Stritch did it in the original B'Way production of "Company", I love Cleo Laine's version. Remember her?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 03:00 pm
Raggedy, I didn't know that Jane Russell was still performing. I had to search it out and I found that song.

Wow! PA. I think that I have a cd of Cleo Laine, but I'm not certain. She did a lot of jazz ballads as I recall.

Can anyone in our listening audience help?

I found, I Am a Song, but it's not familiar.

Back later after more searching, folks.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 03:35 pm
Loving Her Was Easier Than Anything I'll Ever Do Again by Kris Kristofferson

I have seen the morning burning golden on the mountains in the skies.
Achin' with the feelin' of the freedom of an eagle when she flies.
Turnin' on the world the way she smiled upon my soul as I lay dying.
Healin' as the colours in the sunshine and the shadows of her eyes.

Wakin' in the mornin' to the feelin' of her fingers on my skin.
Wipin' out the traces of the people and the places that I've been.
Teachin' me that yesterday was something that I never thought of trying.
Talkin' of tomorrow and the money, love and time we had to spend.

Lovin' her was easier than anything I'll ever do again.

Comin' close together with a feelin' that I've never known before, in my time.
She ain't ashamed to be a woman, or afraid to be a friend.
I don't know the answer to the easy way she opened every door in my mind.
But dreamin' was as easy as believin' it was never gonna end.

And lovin' her was easier than anything I'll ever do again.
0 Replies