WA2K Radio is now on the air

yitwail

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 08:17 pm
from the pen of John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie:

Swing low, sweet Cadillac,
Comin' for to carry me home.
Swing low, sweet Cadillac,

I looked over Jordan, and what did I see?
Oh, an Eldorado, comin' after me.

Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 08:35 pm
Ah, Turtle. Thanks for that smile. Love that parody and it is perfect for my goodnight song.

Goodnight.

From Letty with love and a.....

http://www.firstcollege.co.uk/art/1redrosegifmarker.gif
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 08:40 pm
George Hamilton IV

Doo, doo, doo, doo
Doo, doo, doo, doo

We had a quarrel
A teenage quarrel
Now I'm as blue as I know how to be
I can't call you on the phone
I can't even see you at your home

So I'm sending you this present
Just to prove that I'm telling the truth
Dear, I believe you won't laugh when you receive
This rose and a Baby Ruth

(Doo, doo, doo, doo)
(Doo, doo, doo, doo)
(Doo, doo, doo, doo, ahh)

I could have sent you an orchid of some kind
But that's all I had in my jeans at the time

But when we grow up
Some day I'll show up
Just to prove I was telling the truth
I'll kiss you, too, then I'll hand to you
This rose and a Baby Ruth

(Doo, doo, doo, doo)
(Doo, doo, doo, doo)
(Doo, doo, doo, doo, ooh)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 04:43 am
Good morning, WA2K radio fans and contributors.

edgar, That song by George IV is a reminder of what young sweethearts find delightful--a rose and a Baby Ruth. Wonder what expectations are a part of today's game of love?

Woke up thinking of this idea, listeners, and thought I would do a poem of the day concerning it.

Know Thyself
by Alexander Pope

Know then thyself, presume not God to scan;
The proper study of mankind is Man.
Placed on this isthmus of a middle state,
A being darkly wise and rudely great:
With too much knowledge for the Sceptic side,
With too much weakness for the Stoic's pride,
He hangs between; in doubt to act or rest,
In doubt to deem himself a God or Beast,
In doubt his mind or body to prefer;
Born but to die, and reasoning but to err;
Alike in ignorance, his reason such
Whether he thinks too little or too much:
Chaos of thought and passion, all confused;
Still by himself abused, or disabused;
Created half to rise and half to fall;
Great lord of all things, yet a prey to all;
Sole judge of truth, in endless error hurled:
The glory, jest, and riddle of the world!
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 11:08 am
Good afternoon WA2K.

Today Max Von Sydow is celebrating his 76th, and Omar Sharif his 75th birthday.

http://www.new-video.de/da/2097.jpghttp://www.eastvalleytribune.com/images/photos/882u9hd7.jpg

Happy Birthday guys. Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 11:41 am
Well, folks, there she is with a couple of great guys.

We're looking at Max and Omar(no, not the tent maker) Razz

Thanks, PA. Hope that our hawkman makes it today.

Here is a song written about Lawrence of Arabia

Aqaba
(Bill Caddick)

A man, lost in time and space, adrift in his dreaming
While like an Arab steed the motorcycle flying on
Past the English fields, the misty morning hedgerow
The wind in the wire weeds, the warm sirocco sighing

Ch: Aqaba, all my life turns on you
All my life returns to you

Out of the silent wastes, no friends, no quarter
The blood is up, the senses race, the last dawn is breaking
And over the sleeping host, the unsuspecting shadows
Grim as a desert ghost to the pale ride awaiting

Now your eyes are turned from me, I shall surprise you
Turn your faces to the sea, I shall come riding
Down from the desert sands that glorious morning
Oh what a deadly dance drummed out of hiding

The puppies bobbing on the tide, the blood in the sand dunes
The sun dying in the sky, the black shades falling
Over the dead of night, the church bells tolling
The owl in his silent flight, the desert wind calling

recorded by June Tabor on "Aqaba" (1989)

A song about Lawrence of Arabia, who died some years later in
a motorcycle accident in England.

Don't think Max did much singing, but we recall him in Jesus of Nazareth and Needful things.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 01:05 pm
Harry Morgan
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Henry Bratsburg
Born April 10, 1915 (age 92)
Detroit, Michigan

Harry Morgan (born Henry Bratsburg on April 10, 1915 in Detroit, Michigan) is an American television actor of Norwegian extraction. He graduated from Muskegon High School in Muskegon, Michigan [1].

He is perhaps best known as Colonel Sherman T. Potter on M*A*S*H, "Pete" on Pete and Gladys and December Bride, and Detective Bill Gannon on Dragnet.

Family

Morgan has been married twice, first to Eileen Detchon from 1940 until her death in 1985, and then to Barbara Bushman Quine (granddaughter of silent film star Francis X. Bushman) from 1988 to the present. He had four sons with his first wife, Christopher, Charles, Paul and Daniel (who died in 1982).

Career

Morgan made his debut, originally using the name Henry Morgan, in the 1942 movie To the Shores of Tripoli. His screen name later would become Henry "Harry" Morgan and eventually Harry Morgan, to avoid confusion with the then-popular comedian of the same name on radio and TV.

Morgan continued to play a number of significant roles on the big screen in such films as The Ox-Bow Incident (1943), Dragonwyck (1946), The Glenn Miller Story (1953), Inherit the Wind (1960), How The West Was Won (1962), Frankie and Johnny (1966), Support Your Local Sheriff! (1969); Support Your Local Gunfighter! (1971); The Shootist (1976), and The Wild Wild West Revisted (1979).

Morgan hosted the NBC radio series Mystery in the Air in 1947. On television, he played Pete in Pete and Gladys (1960-1962), a spin-off of his character in December Bride starring Spring Byington. He is even more widely recognized as Officer Bill Gannon, Joe Friday's partner in the revived version of Dragnet (1967-1970). Morgan had also appeared with Dragnet star Jack Webb in two film noir movies, Dark City (1950) and Appointment with Danger (1951), and was an early regular member of Jack Webb's stock company of actors on the original Dragnet radio show.

Then came M*A*S*H. Morgan played crazed Major General Bartford Hamilton Steele in the third season opener "The General Flipped At Dawn" (9/10/74). Steele is convinced that the 4077th needs to move closer to the front line, to be near the action.

Morgan's memorable performance as the nutso Steele impressed the producers of the show. The following season, Morgan joined the cast of M*A*S*H as the beloved Colonel Sherman T. Potter. Morgan replaced McLean Stevenson, who had left the show at the end of the previous season. Colonel Potter was a career Army officer who was tough yet caring. He was a father figure to the people under his command.

In 1980, Morgan won an Emmy award for his performance on M*A*S*H. Morgan reprised the Potter role in a shortlived spin-off series, AfterMASH.

In 1987, Morgan also reprised his Bill Gannon character for a supporting role in the film version of Dragnet, a comedy starring and written by Dan Aykroyd, and co-starring Tom Hanks and Christopher Plummer. On the TV show, Morgan had usually played Gannon fairly light and comedic, in keeping with his general acting style in those days, and contrasting well with Jack Webb's no-nonsense portrayal of Joe Friday. Curiously, or perhaps purposely, in the film version, he played Gannon as a brusque, authoritarian captain of police, quite different from his Detective Gannon in the 1967 TV show, and rather closer to his characterization of Colonel Potter.

In the 1990s, Morgan played the role of "Judge Stoddard Bell" on the series of The Incident TV movies. He was also on an episode of The Simpsons as Officer Bill Gannon from Dragnet in the 7th season. Morgan also directed episodes for several TV series, including 2 episodes of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour and 8 episodes of M*A*S*H. Harry Morgan also had a guest role on The Jeff Foxworthy Show as Raymond.

In 2006, Harry Morgan was inducted into the Hall of Great Western Performers at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 01:09 pm
Chuck Connors

Kevin Joseph Aloysius Connors, better known by his professional name of Chuck Connors (April 10, 1921 - November 10, 1992), was an American actor and professional basketball and baseball player.

Biography

Of Irish-Canadian heritage, Connors was the son of Allan and Marcella (nee Lundrigan) Connors of Placentia Bay, Newfoundland; immgrants to Brooklyn, New York in 1920. Connors grew up with a two-years-younger sister named Gloria; their father was a longshoreman and their mother a homemaker. His natural athletic abilities earned him a scholarship to the private high school Adelphi Academy, and then to the Catholic college, Seton Hall University in South Orange, New Jersey. After two years in college he then dropped out and in 1942 enlisted in the Army at Fort Knox, Kentucky, listing his civilian occupation as a ski instructor. Serving mostly as a tank-warfare instructor, he was stationed at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, and later at West Point in New York state.

Sports Career

Following his military discharge in 1946, he joined the newly formed Boston Celtics of the Basketball Association of America as a jump shot of his actually shattered a glass backboard, Connors left the team for spring training with Major League Baseball's Brooklyn Dodgers. He played for numerous minor league teams before joining the Dodgers in 1949 for a few weeks. Later, in 1951 he also played for the Chicago Cubs. He was then sent to the minor leagues again, in 1952, to the Cubs' top farm team at the time, the Los Angeles Angels. Few people realize that he was also drafted by the Chicago Bears, but never actually suited-up for the team.

Acting Career

He realized that he would not make a career in professional sports, so went the route of acting. Playing baseball near Hollywood proved to be fortuitous. He was spotted by an MGM casting director and cast in the upcoming Tracy-Hepburn film Pat and Mike, in which he played a state police captain.

Connors was best known for his television work. He appeared in a 1954 episode of Adventures of Superman titled Flight to the North, in which he played a good-natured (and very strong) backwoods fellow named Sylvester J. Superman.

Connors also hosted a number of episodes of Family Theater on the Mutual Radio Network. This series was aimed at promoting prayer as a path to world peace and stronger families, with the motto "The family which prays together stays together."

He starred in the television Western series The Rifleman (1958-1963) and Branded (1965-1966), as well as the 1967 Cowboy in Africa TV series, alongside Ronald Howard and Tom Nardini. In 1973 and 1974 he hosted a television series called Thrill Seekers. He had a key role as a slaveowner in the famous 1977 miniseries Roots.

In 1991, he was inducted into the Western Performers Hall of Fame at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City. Connors was frequently a supporter of the Republican Party, and attended a few fundraisers for campaigns of President Richard Nixon, who reportedly was a fan of Connors.

Death

Chuck Connors died of lung cancer following a bout of pneumonia in 1992 at the age of 71 in Los Angeles, California.

Trivia

In the opening titles of The Rifleman, Connors fires a Winchester repeating rifle 11 times. The Winchester 1892 only held 10 rounds.
Connor's height is listed by the Dodgers as 6'5", but listed as 6'6" by the Celtics.
According to Time magazine's cover story on TV westerns in its 3-30-59 issue, Connors' measurements were 45-34-41.
Connors is credited with being the first professional basketball player to break a backboard. The incident occurred on November 5, 1946 during a pre-game warmup at Boston Garden when Connors hit the basket rim with a two-handed shot.[1]
At a party given by U.S. President Nixon at the Western White House in San Clemente, California, in June, 1973, Connors was introduced to Secretary General Leonid Brezhnev of the Soviet Union. Upon boarding his airplane bound for Moscow, Brezhnev noticed Connors in the crowd and went back to him to shake hands, and, jokingly, jump up into Connor's towering hug (as seen in this Russian news clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5P1mue4jxY). The Rifleman was one of the few American shows allowed on Russian television at that time because it was Brezhnev's favorite. Connors and Brezhnev hit it off so well that in December, 1973, Connors traveled to the Soviet Union where he presented Brezhnev with two engraved Colt revolvers and filmed a documentary.
When Brezhnev died in 1982, Connors indicated interest in traveling to the Soviet Union for his funeral, but the U.S. government would not allow him to be part of the official delegation.

"Chuck Connors" was also the name of a famous turn-of-the-century Manhattan saloon-keeper portrayed by Wallace Beery in The Bowery (1933), a movie about Connors and Steve Brodie, who claimed to be the first man to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge and live.
"Chuck Connors" is also a character in O. Henry's short story "Sisters of the Golden Circle" which says that he led reform in New York in O. Henry's time.
The book Carl Erskine's Tales from the Dodgers Dugout: Extra Innings (2004) includes short stories from former Dodger pitcher Carl Erskine. Connors is prominent in many of these stories.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 01:12 pm
Max von Sydow

Birth name Max Carl Adolf von Sydow
Born April 10, 1929 (age 78)
Lund, Skåne, Sweden
Max Carl Adolf von Sydow (help·info), (born April 10, 1929) is an Academy-Award nominated Swedish actor, known in particular for his collaboration with filmmaker Ingmar Bergman.

Early life

Max von Sydow was born to a noble family in Lund, Skåne, Sweden. His father, Carl Wilhelm von Sydow, was a professor of comparative folklore at the University of Lund. His mother, Friherrinnan (Baroness) Greta Rappe, was a school teacher. Persistent rumors claim he had at least one brother who allegedly died during the filming of The Exorcist, but he was an only child. Little material is available on his childhood, except that he seems to have been a shy, quiet child.

He attended the Cathedral School of Lund, and learned German and English starting at the age of nine. At school, he and some friends founded an amateur theatre company, where his acting career began. He completed National Service before going on to study at The Royal Dramatic Theatre ("Dramaten") in Stockholm, where he trained between 1948 and 1951 with the likes of Lars Ekborg, Margaretha Krook and Ingrid Thulin. During his time at Dramaten, he made his screen debut in Alf Sjöberg's films Only a Mother (Bara en Mor, 1949), and Miss Julie (Fröken Julie, 1951), a Swedish classic after August Strindberg.

Career

Von Sydow moved to Malmö in 1955. It was there that he met his mentor Ingmar Bergman. His first work with Bergman was on stage at Malmö Municipal Theatre. Von Sydow later would work with Bergman on films such as The Seventh Seal (Det Sjunde inseglet, 1957), Wild Strawberries (Smultronstället, 1957) and The Virgin Spring (Jungfrukällan, 1960).

It was in these films that von Sydow perfected his craft and began to display the great talent that has spanned the 53 years of his screen career. Von Sydow now dominated the screen as he had done on stage and in doing so became an idol of the international Arthouse. Recognition came as early as 1954 when he was awarded the prestigious Royal Foundation Culture Award.

Von Sydow worked profusely on stage and screen in Scandinavia and resisted increasing calls from the United States to go to Hollywood. After being seen in Bergman's Academy Award-winning films and having been first choice for the title role of Dr. No, Von Sydow finally set foot in America after agreeing to star in the film which was to lead to much greater recognition, the role of Jesus in George Stevens' grandly titled, all-star epic The Greatest Story Ever Told in 1965. His talents were soon in demand in other American productions and so von Sydow and his family eventually moved to Los Angeles.

From 1965 von Sydow became a regular on the American screen while also maintaining a presence in his native Sweden. Though perhaps type-cast as a villain, he was rewarded in the United States with two Golden Globe nominations for Hawaii and The Exorcist in 1973.

In the mid 1970s, von Sydow moved to Rome and appeared in a number of Italian films, becoming friendly with another screen legend, Marcello Mastroianni.

In the late 1970s and early 1980s, von Sydow appeared in both serious films, such as Woody Allen's Hannah and Her Sisters (1986) and David Lynch's Dune (1984), and silly ones like the Mackenzie Brothers' Strange Brew (1983).

Since then Von Sydow has won The Australian Film Institute Best Actor Award for his title role in Father (1989), the Guldbagge Best Director Award for his only directorial foray Katinka (Ved vejen, 1988), based on a novel by Herman Bang, and the Best Actor Award at The Tokyo International Film Festival for The Silent Touch (Dotknięcie ręki, 1993).

He received international acclaim for his performance as the Nobel Prize-winning novelist Knut Hamsun in Jan Troell's biopic Hamsun . He received his third Swedish Guldbagge and his second Danish Bodil for his depiction of a character often described as his King Lear. In 1996 Von Sydow starred in Liv Ullmann's Private Confessions (Enskilda samtal). Back in Hollywood, he appeared in What Dreams May Come in a role which was something of a tip of the hat to his performance in The Exorcist.

His most recent triumph is probably his performance as an elderly lawyer in Scott Hicks' Snow Falling on Cedars. Pre-Oscar talk had him tipped to scoop the Best Supporting Actor Award; however, this never came to fruition. In 2002, von Sydow had one of his largest commercial successes, co-starring with Tom Cruise in Steven Spielberg's widely popular sci-fi thriller Minority Report. In 2003, he played mentor character Eyvind in the European TV adaptation of the "Ring of the Nibelungs" saga. The show set ratings records and was released in the USA as "Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King."

Marriage and divorce

In 1951, von Sydow married actress Kerstin Olin with whom he had two sons, Claes and Henrik. They were to star with their father in the film Hawaii, playing his son at different ages. Von Sydow was divorced in 1996 and subsequently married French filmmaker Catherine Brelet in April 1997 in Provence, France. Von Sydow currently lives with his wife in Paris, where he enjoys reading, listening to music and gardening. He has personally stated he does not intend to retire, subject to the film roles he receives.

Awards

The Pasinetti Award at the Venice Film Festival for The Flight of the Eagle (Ingenjör Andrées luftfärd, 1982)
In 1987 von Sydow celebrated his success in Pelle the Conqueror (Pelle erobreren), named after Martin Andersen Nexø's novel. He received his first Oscar nomination, as well as winning the Bodil Prize, the Felix European Film Award, the Robert Award, and the Guldbagge Award from his native Sweden.
He also received special mention when Pelle garnered the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival.
In 2006 he was honoured with the Donostia Award at the San Sebastian International Film Festival

Trivia

Two sons of his played in "Hawaii".[citation needed]
One of his favourite movies is "Runaway Train".[citation needed]
Height: 6'4" (193 cm).
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 01:15 pm
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 01:24 pm
Steven Seagal

Born April 10, 1951 (age 56)
Lansing, Michigan, U.S.
Other name(s) Chungdrag Dorje, Takeshigemichi
Official site www.stevenseagal.com

Steven Seagal (born April 10, 1951), is an American action movie actor, producer, writer, director, singer-songwriter, and activist. A 7th-dan black belt in aikido, Seagal began his adult life as an aikido instructor in Japan, before moving to the Los Angeles, California area where, after being noticed by entertainment executives, he made his film debut in 1988. Since then, Seagal has become a well recognized action star, with his movies earning more than $600 million worldwide.[1]

Seagal has used his fame as an action star to cross over to other industries, as he is also a recording artist and the founder of Steven Seagal Enterprises. In addition to his professional achievements, he is also known as an environmentalist, aikido master (Takeshigemichi), an animal rights activist, and claims to be a reincarnated Tulku (Chungdrag Dorje).[2]

Early years

Youth

Steven Seagal was born in Lansing, Michigan, where he lived until he was 5 years old. The family then relocated to Fullerton, California, where Seagal attended the Buena Park High School in Buena Park, California. Following his graduation Seagal held one of his first jobs at the local Burger King.

It was at the age of 7 that Seagal first began studying the martial arts under the direction of renowned Shito-ryu karate master Fumio Demura and Aikido under Rod Kobayashi, the President of the Western States Aikido Federation. He earned himself black belts in aikido, karate, judo, and kendo and in his late teens, Seagal became part of Demura's Karate Demonstration Team and performed daily demonstrations in the former Japanese Village and Deer Park, in Southern California. In 1974, he was promoted by Kobayashi-sensei to shodan in Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido.

Japan

After finishing college, Seagal moved to Japan with then-girlfriend Miyako Fujitani, native of Japan whom he later married, and lived with her parents, who owned an aikido school. During this time in Japan, Seagal changed affiliation from Koichi Tohei's Ki Society and Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido to the Aikikai. Under the title Master Take Shigemichi, Seagal was reputedly the first foreigner ever to own and operate an aikido dojo in Japan: the Aikido Tenshin Dojo in the city of Osaka.

Return to the US

Seagal initially returned to Taos, New Mexico with senior student and later stuntman Craig Dunn. There, they opened a dojo, but Seagal spent much of his time pursuing a film career and other ventures. Dunn stayed in New Mexico and is there to this day, still running the dojo. After another period spent in Japan, Seagal returned to the U.S. with senior student Haruo Matsuoka in 1983. The two opened an aikido dojo, initially located in Burbank, California, but later moved to the city of West Hollywood. Seagal left Matsuoka in charge of the dojo, which he ran until the two parted ways in 1997. It was during this period that Seagal first found himself in contact with Hollywood. Initially he worked as martial arts coordinator on the films The Challenge (1982) starring Toshirô Mifune and Never Say Never Again (1983) starring Sean Connery. Seagal then became a bodyguard to celebrities such as future wife Kelly Le Brock and Hollywood agent Michael Ovitz. It was Ovitz who, impressed with Seagal's martial arts abilities, personally financed a screen test in front of Warner Bros. executives. They too were impressed and Seagal was signed for his first film.

Hollywood career

1990s: the action hero years

In 1988 Seagal began work on his first film, Above the Law (also known as Nico in Europe), with director Andrew Davis. They transformed an average police thriller adding both exhilerating action scenes and sharp characterisation. Following its success, Seagal made three more pictures (Hard to Kill, Marked for Death, and Out for Justice) that were decent box office hits, marking him as an action hero. Seagal found wider mainstream success in 1992 with the release of Under Siege. The film reunited Seagal with the director Andrew Davis and was a blockbuster in America and abroad, grossing $156.4 million worldwide.[3]

After the success of Under Siege, Seagal made his directorial debut with On Deadly Ground (1994) in which he also starred, alongside Michael Caine. The movie was a failure with both audiences and critics, and made a financial loss, costing an estimated $50 million to make and grossing less than $39 million in the United States.[4]

To try to recoup popularity, Seagal filmed a sequel to his most successful film Under Siege titled Under Siege 2: Dark Territory (1995) and a cop drama (The Glimmer Man) (1996). In 1996, Seagal also had his first supporting role, in the Kurt Russell film Executive Decision, in which Seagal was billed as having a starring role to keep his character's fate secret. He then tried again to make an environmentally-conscious film. In Fire Down Below (1997), Seagal played an EPA agent fighting industrialists dumping toxic waste in the Kentucky hills region, but the movie was not a commercial success. This film marked the end of Seagal's original multi-picture deal with Warner Bros. and due to its failure at the box office, his contract was not renewed.

Retreat to video

The next year, Seagal made The Patriot, another environmental thriller which was his first direct-to-video release in the United States (though it was released theatrically in most of the world). Seagal produced this film with his own money, and the film was shot on-location on and near his farm in Montana.

After taking a couple years to produce Prince of Central Park, Seagal returned to cinema screens with the release of Exit Wounds in March 2001. The film had fewer martial arts scenes than Seagal's previous films, but it was a commercial success, taking almost $80 million woldwide. However, he was unable to capitalise on this success and his next two projects were both critical and commercial failures. Ticker co-starring Tom Sizemore and Dennis Hopper, and filmed in San Francisco before Exit Wounds, went straight to DVD while Half Past Dead, starring rap star Ja Rule, made less than $20 million worldwide.

As of April 2007, all 13 films Seagal has made since 2003 have been released direct-to-video in North America, with only limited theatrical releases in the rest of the world. These films are characterised by a severe drop in their overall quality compared with Seagal's films from the 1990s. Steven Seagal is currently working on a comeback for 2007 with action films Once Upon A Time In The Hood and Prince of Pistols which he will direct.

Steven Seagal, the filmmaker

Seagal intends to have his films remembered; "I am hoping that I can be known as a great writer and actor some day, rather than a sex symbol."[5] Seagal has clarified the purpose of his films: "Above the Law was a politically conscientious movie. On Deadly Ground was environmentally conscientious so I want to keep making movies like that which are more geared with a certain entertainment value but also bring people forward into contemplation."[6]

Seagal has produced many of the movies that he stars in, and has also participated in writing and directing. Seagal's roles do not fit the standard action hero archetype; instead, Seagal's characters are usually "born perfect", displaying no limitations, character flaws, or character development (as is typically included in the story arc for most action heroes). His characters are often associated with attributes given to action movie antagonists or villains, such as clandestine government associations (Under Siege), great wealth and high-level corporate ties (On Deadly Ground), high-level biochemical research skill (The Patriot). Seagal's characters are normally nigh-on invincible and are unable to be beaten or even slowed down. Reports state that Seagal insists on such roles, even allegedly becoming hysterical when his character was scripted to die a heroic death in the movie Executive Decision, when director Stuart Baird insisted he must do it as scripted. Seagal held up filming for a few days, and finally acted the death scene as scripted after threat of contractual breach.

While his acting performance in Above The Law gained praise from the likes of Roger Ebert,[7] Seagal has repeatedly faced criticism from both actors and fans who accuse him of playing the same character in many of his movies, as well as displaying a lack of emotional range.

Others have surmised that Seagal's unorthodox approach to film is actually an elaborate joke.[8] This is supported by Seagal's statement regarding humor: "I'm a very funny guy, if you'll forgive me for saying so. When I did The Glimmer Man with Keenan Ivory Wayans, he and I were talking about who was funniest, and...I kicked his ass every day."[9] In addition, some of Seagal's own self-parody supports this view. In at least two commercials (for Orange SA[10] and Mountain Dew[citation needed]) Seagal pokes fun at his action star archetype.

Stuntman abuse controversy

Seagal has reportedly been rough on stuntmen. During the filming of Exit Wounds, he injured a number of stuntmen, as well as his co-star, DMX. According to Steven Quadros, a fight trainer, Seagal has been known to "kick guys in the nuts to see if they were wearing cups."[11] Seagal has also been the target of rumours involving an alleged incident in which stuntman and judo master Gene Lebell reportedly put Seagal into a Shime-Waza hold, then choked him unconscious.[12]

Other career areas

Music

In addition to acting and aikido, Seagal also plays the guitar, and his songs have been featured in several of his movies (such as Fire Down Below and Ticker). In 2005, he released his first album, Songs from the Crystal Cave, which has a mix of pop, world, and blues music. It features duets with Tony Rebel, Lt. Stichie, Lady Saw, and Stevie Wonder. The soundtrack to Seagal's 2005 film Into the Sun features several songs from the album. One of his album tracks, "Girl It's Alright", was also released as a single in parts of the world alongside an accompanying music video created for it.

Seagal's second album, titled Mojo Priest, was released in April 2006. Subsequently, he spent summer 2006 touring the United States and Europe with his band, Thunderbox, in support of the album. Having received good support from UK audiences, the tour continues through early 2007.

Seagal uses a blend of Blues, Country, and World Music in his unique compositions, reflecting the eclectic mosaic style of his martial arts and film work, both of which combine different styles (aikido/gunfire and action/lecture are respective examples). Seagal is also known for his live cover versions including seminal works like Don Macleans' 'American Pie' and Hot Gossips' 'I Fell In Love With a Starship Trooper'.

Business ventures

Steven Seagal Enterprises markets an energy drink known as Steven Seagal's Lightning Bolt, as well as an herbal oil product line.[13] Seagal personally endorses this drink, "I have traveled the world creating this drink; there is none better that I know."[14]

In 2006, Steven Seagal became The Celebrity Spokesperson for Shurfine Grocery Products, and became involved with the Thriftway Wrestling Alliance.

On March 3, 2007, Seagal was named as a blue coat for the Tahoka Chamber of Commerce in Tahoka, TX.

Steven Seagal also has his own imprint of Kershaw Knives. The "Steven Seagal Edition" knives feature 4" blades with his signature etched in, and no auto-assisted opening mechanism.

Personal life

Steven Seagal was born to a Jewish father Stephen (a high school math teacher), and Irish Catholic mother Patricia (an emergency room technician). An only son, he has three sisters, one older and two younger. He now keeps a ranch in Colorado and a home in the Mandeville Canyon section of Brentwood, a wealthy suburb of Los Angeles. He has adopted many animals from shelters, including the cats "Sylvester" and "Gap", and the dogs "Gruff", "Cole", "Tyson", "Hamlet", and "Chaos".[15]

Marriages

Miyako Fujitani (1975-1986) (divorced) 2 children
Adrienne La Russa (1984-1987) (annulled)
Kelly LeBrock (1987-1996) (divorced) 3 children

Seagal has gained some notoriety for being a bigamist. When he left his first wife Miyako Fujitani to go back to America (reportedly, Steven's last words to her were, "You are crazy; I want a divorce"),[16][17] he married former Days of Our Lives actress Adrienne La Russa, despite his divorce to Fujitani not yet being finalized. During his marriage to La Russa he met actress/model Kelly LeBrock, with whom he began a relationship and who eventually became pregnant with his child. When news of this emerged, Seagal's marriage to La Russa was annulled and he then married LeBrock on 5th September 1987. In 1994, LeBrock filed divorce papers citing "irreconciable differences". During this time it emerged that Seagal was having an affair with Arrissa Wolf, who was hired to be a nanny to Seagal and Lebrock's children.[18]

Children

Seagal has six known children from three relationships in which he has been involved. With Fujitani, he had a son, model and actor Kentaro Seagal (b. October 3, 1975), and a daughter, writer and actress, Ayako Fujitani (b. December 5, 1979). His three children with LeBrock are daughters Annaliza (b. 1987) and Arissa (b. 1993), and son Dominic (b. 1990). Seagal and Wolf have one daughter, Savannah (b. 1996).

In addition to his biological children, Seagal's Tibetan Buddhist beliefs have also placed him in the role of guardian to a Tibetan child, Yabshi Pan Rinzinwangmo. Rinzinwangmo, or "Renji", is the only child of the 10th Panchen Lama of Tibet. Renji studied in the United States at American University, and Seagal was her guardian and bodyguard.[19]

Views and activism

Steven Seagal has long-standing peer relationships with animals. Source: http://gucky.guck.net

Animal rights work

Seagal has been an outspoken opponent of animal cruelty which can be seen in a scene in the movie Out for Justice. This is consistent with his views on spirituality, as well as his environmentalist views (as showcased in On Deadly Ground). Seagal is also a vegetarian. Seagal believes in reincarnation: "When I walk into a room some people see a dog, some people see a cow. I am all of what they see. It is their perception."[20]

Steven has described his activism method as "shaming companies into changing," a theme that is visible in such films as On Deadly Ground and Fire Down Below. He has worked with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) to discourage the fur trade, and has written to the Prime Minister of India to seek increased legal protection for cows. Seagal worked effectively towards saving dogs destined to drown in Taiwan; he pressured the Premier of Taiwan to sign legislation limiting animal cruelty.[21]

Baby elephants

This activism has not diminished in recent years. Seagal prevented the export of baby elephants from South Africa to Japan.[citation needed] For these and other efforts, Seagal was awarded a PETA Humanitarian Award in 1999.[22]

In 2003, Seagal wrote an open letter to the leadership of Thailand, urging them to enact law to prevent the torture of baby elephants.[23]

Mystical dog incident

While being interviewed by PETA, Seagal was asked to provide an example of a special interaction with an animal. To lend context and meaning to his animal rights work, Seagal offered the story about a dog which approached him during his early aikido years in Japan. Seagal described feeling as if he had known this white dog forever. After keeping the dog for a few days, the dog (by barking) warned Seagal that his dojo was on fire. Seagal quickly summoned help to put out the conflagration. Seagal never saw the dog again.[24]

Solar power

Seagal is an advocate for solar power, consistent with his views on oil, as showcased in 1994's On Deadly Ground. Upon spotting another caucasian in Thailand in 2004, Seagal was pleased to find this man was a manufacturer of solar powered bicycles. Seagal promptly purchased a number of solar electric utility and transport vehicles to bring feed to his animal partners at his ranch in California.[25] A future Under Siege sequel may feature terror aboard a solar powered ship.

Native American issues

Seagal is a concerned advocate for the rights and interests of Native Americans. In his film On Deadly Ground, Seagal depicted himself as The Chosen One, sent to save the Inuit people from the evils of "Big Oil".[citation needed]

Outside of his film work, Seagal has volunteered, lending his powerful voice as a narrator for an activist film project, Medicine Lake Video, which seeks to protect sacred tribal ground near his ranch in Siskiyou County.[26]

Parody portrayals

Seagal has become the target of internet-based criticism. However, the line between Seagal's own work and a parody portrayal of Seagal is becoming increasingly blurry. The abovementioned commercials for Orange SA and Mountain Dew poke fun at his action aikido style. Seagal is sometimes considered to be in on the joke.[27]

In the TV show, madTV, Seagal was portrayed by Will Sasso. In various skits involving the actor, Seagal was portrayed to be an unintelligent, disrespectful and egotistical actor for comedic effect. The trademark slapstick humor ranges from attempting to do stunts but failing miserably, to random attacks on other characters in the scene (most notably, random chops, or snapping necks.)

A scene in an episode of Family Guy portrays Seagal in the arctic fighting a group of seals for killing a village's fish.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 01:31 pm
Everybody who has a dog calls
him Rover or Boy. I call mine
Sex. Now Sex has been
embarrassing to me.

One day I entered Sex in a contest, but before the
competition began he ran away. Another contestant
asked me why I was just standing there, looking around.

I told him that I had planned to have Sex in the contest.
He told me I should have sold my own tickets.
"But you don't understand" I said, "I had planned
to have Sex on T.V." He called me a show off.

When my husband and I separated we went to court
to fight for custody of the dog. I said,
"Your Honor, I had Sex before I was married!!"

The Judge said, "Me too".

Then I told him that after I was married that Sex had left me.

He said "Me too".

Last night Sex ran off again.
I spent hours looking around town for him.

A cop came over to me and asked me what I was doing in the
alley at 4 O'clock in the morning. I said looking for Sex.

My case comes up Monday...
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 01:37 pm
Bob Carlisle - Butterfly Kisses Lyrics
Suitable For: Father Daughter

Genre: Gospel

There's two things I know for sure:
She was sent here from heaven and she's
daddy's little girl.
As I drop to my knees by her bed at night
She talks to Jesus and I close my eyes and
I thank god for all the joy in my life
Oh, but most of all
For butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer;
sticking little white flowers all up in her
hair; "Walk beside the pony, Daddy, it's my first ride."
"I know the cake looks funny, Daddy, but I sure tried."
In all that I've done wrong I know I must
have done something right to deserve a hug
every morning and butterfly kisses at night.

Sweet 16 today
She's looking like her mama a little more everyday
One part woman, the other part girl.
To perfume and make-up from ribbons and curls
Trying her wings out in a great big world.

But I remember
Butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer; sticking
little white flowers all up in her hair.
"You know how much I love you, Daddy, But if you
don't mind I'm only gonna kiss you on the cheek this time."
With all that I've done wrong I must have done
something right to deserve her love every morning
and butterfly kisses at night.

All the precious time
Like the wind, the years go by.
Precious butterfly.
Spread your wings and fly.

She'll change her name today.
She'll make a promise and I'll give her away.
Standing in the bride-room just staring at her.
She asked me what I'm thinking and I said "I'm not
sure-I just feel like I'm losing my baby girl."
She leaned over...gave me butterfly kisses with her mama there,
Sticking little white flowers all up in her hair
"Walk my down the aisle, Daddy-it's just about time."
"Does my wedding gown look pretty, Daddy? Daddy, don't cry!"

Oh, with all that I've done wrong I must have
done something right.
To deserve your love every morning and butterfly
kisses-I couldn't ask God for more, man this is what love is.

I know I gotta let her go, but I'll always remember
every hug in the morning and butterfly kisses.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 01:48 pm
Well, folks. We know our BostonBob is through with his famous folks when he tells us about SEX. Incidentally, hawkman. What sex was that dog who led his master astray? Razz

Ah, Bob, I love butterfly kisses. Used to give them to my kids. Thanks, honey, for that sweet song.

Did you know that Kevin Costner had a band? I certainly didn't. Here's one of his songs.

John Coinmanand and Kevin Costner

THE PORCH SONG

Seeing the love that lives in your heart
Seeing the kindness that you have for everyone
I sing this song
I sing this song for you
Hearing the way you talk to the children
Hearing the sound of your voice as it sings on the way
I sing this song
Knowing this life is endlessly moving
Knowing that any moment it could end
I sing this song
I sing this song for you
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 11:11 am
hm, until the regulars turn up, here's a micro version of today's bday celebs:

Oleg Cassini - Fashion designer, best known as designer for Jacqueline Kennedy

Joel Grey - Did you know his father was a member of the Spike Jones Orchestra?

Ellen Goodman - Pulitzer winning Boston Globe Columnist

Alessandra Ambrosio - Brazilian Guess? model with a pierced navel

photos available on request :wink:

and since Oleg Cassini popularized the pillbox hat, here's a Bob Dylan song on that topic:

Well, I see you got your brand new leopard-skin pill-box hat
Yes, I see you got your brand new leopard-skin pill-box hat
Well, you must tell me, baby
How your head feels under somethin' like that
Under your brand new leopard-skin pill-box hat.

Well, you look so pretty in it
Honey, can I jump on it sometime ?
Yes, I just wanna see
If it's really that expensive kind
You know it balances on your head
Just like a mattress balances
On a bottle of wine
Your brand new leopard-skin pill-box hat.

Well, if you wanna see the sun rise
Honey, I know where
We'll go out and see it sometime
We'll both just sit there and stare
Me with my belt
Wrapped around my head
And you just sittin' there
In you brand new leopard-skin pill-box hat.

Well, I asked the doctor if I could see you
It's bad for your health, he said
Yes, I disobeyed his orders
I came to see you
But I found him there instead
You know, I don't mind him cheatin' on me
But I sure wish he'd take that off his head
Your brand new leopard-skin pill-box hat.

Well, I see you got a new boyfriend
You know, I never seen him before
Well, I saw him
Makin' love to you
You forgot to close the garage door
You might think he loves you for your money
But I know what he really loves you for
It's your brand new leopard-skin pill-box hat.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 11:48 am
Oleg Cassini

Oleg Cassini (April 11, 1913 - March 17, 2006) was an American fashion designer noted for being chosen by Jacqueline Kennedy to design her state wardrobe in the 1960s. His clothing designs also appeared in numerous Hollywood films starring his second wife, the actress Gene Tierney.

Early life

Born in Paris, France, the eldest son of Countess Marguerite Cassini and her husband, Alexander Loiewski, Oleg Cassini Loiewski was raised in Italy and moved to the United States in 1936. His father was a Russian diplomat, and his maternal grandfather, Arthur Paul Nicholas Cassini, Marquis de Capuzzuchi di Bologna, Count Cassini, was the Russian ambassador to the United States during the administrations of William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt. His father later adopted his wife's surname, which they deemed more distinguished, and when the family lost its status and fortune in the wake of the Russian Revolution, the Cassinis moved to Italy, where Marguerite Cassini went to work as a fashion designer.

Cassini took American citizenship and became a second lieutenant in the Army during World War II, at Fort Riley, Kansas. Initially, he joined the United States Coast Guard but as was indicated in his obituary in The New York Times, he joined the Army cavalry corps because he found it more glamorous.

His brother, Igor Cassini, became a famous gossip columnist known as Cholly Knickerbocker.

Career

Cassini studied studied art under Giorgio de Chirico and eventually gravitated to his mother's career, fashion, when he took a job sketching for the French couturier Jean Patou. In the late 1930s, he worked as an assistant to the costume designer Edith Head and in the early 1940s was hired by Paramount Pictures.

Among the films Cassini costumed was The Shanghai Gesture, a 1941 film by Josef Von Sternberg, which starred Cassini's second wife, Gene Tierney, who eventually would only wear Cassini designs onscreen. As a result, Cassini costumes appeared in The Razor's Edge (1946); The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947); That Wonderful Urge (1948); Whrilpool (1949); Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950), in which Cassini appeared as a fashion designer; and The Mating Season and On The Riviera (both 1951).

After the war, Cassini designed ready-to-wear dresses while continuing to design for television, motion pictures, and Broadway.

Cassini shot to international stardom, however, in the early 1960s, thanks to his association with Jacqueline Kennedy. "We are on the threshold of a new American elegance thanks to Mrs. Kennedy's beauty, naturalness, understatement, exposure and symbolism," Cassini said when his selection as the couturier to shape the entire look of the First Lady was announced.

The fashion industry, however, was shocked at Cassini's selection by the White House. As Women's Wear Daily journalist John Fairchild wrote in his 1965 book The Fashionable Savages, "Everyone was surprised. Oleg Cassini had been around for years. He was debonair, amusing, social, but none of the fashion intellectuals had considered him an important designer."

The publicity that Cassini's work for Jacqueline Kennedy received led women from 18 to 80 to copy the look of simple, geometric dresses in sumptuous fabrics and pillbox hats with an elegant coiffure. Meticulously tailored and featuring oversized buttons and boxy jackets, as well as occasionally dramatic decolletage, it was a style that was inspired by the work of Hubert de Givenchy. Cassini designed a reported 300 outfits for the First Lady, including a much-copied coat made of leopard pelts and a heavy satin gown for the inaugural ball in 1961; the Cassini outfits were paid for by her father-in-law, Joseph P. Kennedy, Sr.. [5]

The name recognition that he gained during these years led him to be the first designer to have licensing agreements, with his name adorning everything from luggage to nail polish to a trim package on the 1970s AMC Matador automobile. "All I remember about those days are nerves, and Jackie on the phone 'Hurry, hurry, Oleg, I've got nothing to wear'," he wrote in his 1995 book, A Thousand Days of Magic: Dressing Jacqueline Kennedy for the White House.

His designs were shown at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in 2001 in its exhibit Jacqueline Kennedy: The White House Years, which was curated by Vogue's European editor at large, Hamish Bowles.

Cassini's autobiography, In My Own Fashion, was published in 1987.

His partnership with David's Bridal was formed in the 1990s, and they had a line of his wedding dresses at the time of his death.

First marriage

On September 2, 1938, in Elkton, Maryland -- a Russian Orthodox ceremony took place in New York City on September 16 -- Cassini became the fourth husband of Mary "Merry" Fahrney, a daughter of Chicago industrialist Emory Homer Fahrney and his wife, the former Marion L. Hills. She was an heiress to the Dr. Peter Fahrney & Sons patent medicine fortune. In addition to having a small role in the 1934 motion picture Cleopatra, which was directed by Cecil B. DeMille and starred Claudette Colbert, Merry Fahrney was an aviator and parachutist frequently known in gossip columns as Madcap Merry. She had previously been married to and divorced from (1) Hugh Parker Pickering, by whom she had a son, Peter, who was adopted at 15 months of age by his maternal grandparents and given the surname Fahrney; (2) Frank Van Sands Eizsner; and (3) Baron Arturo Berlingieri, to whom she was married from July 31, 1937 until February 3, 1938.

According to Cassini's memoirs, it was on his honeymoon when he realized that he had been married, apparently, for reasons other than heartfelt affection. He recalled that his new bride "smoked cigarettes one after another with the casual arrogance of the carnally satisfied. I was just another scalp." However, considering Fahrney's wealth and Cassini's lack of it, the decision to wed likely was deemed mutually beneficial, whatever the groom's belated regrets.

Nearly two months after Fahrney and Cassini married, on October 26, her divorce from Berlingieri was reversed on appeal. The Illinois Appellate Court declared the divorce invalid on the grounds that the former Baroness Berlingieri's claim of being beaten up four times on her honeymoon was unproven, that she had not established beyond doubt that the baron tried to extort $200,000 from her, and that as she was an Italian citizen by marriage, the Chicago court had no jurisidiction. The divorce, however, was soon resolved in her favor. [2]

Fahrney's divorce from Cassini, which was granted on February 5, 1940, was equally dramatic. She won her case by proving "marital misconduct" on her husband's part, stemming from evidence presented that Cassini had been in the company of "a scantily clad young woman" in his apartment in the Hotel Lowell in New York City. Curiously, however, Fahrney and her first husband, Hugh Pickering, were reported to have been in an adjoining room with an automobile salesman, spying on the couple. Cassini, for his part, denied he had been unfaithful and attempted to prove that his wife had had extramarital affairs, presenting testimony from his cook and the couple's former butler, who claimed that Merry Cassini had been caught in compromising circumstances on three occasions. Cassini also declared that his wife had bought clothes for another man, socialite La Grand Griswold. (Griswold, for his part, testified that he had asked Merry Cassini to be his wife, but that she had refused, saying that she already had a husband.) In handing down the divorce decree in Merry Cassini's favor, the judge declared the defendant's claims of wifely adultery were "unworthy of belief." [3]

In 1941, Merry Fahrney married her fifth husband, a Swede, whom she divorced the same year. In 1944, she married her sixth husband, Carlos Ojeda, Jr, a son of the Mexican ambassador to Argentina. [4]

Second marriage

Cassini's second wife was the American movie star Gene Tierney (1920 - 1991), whom he married on July 11, 1941. The Cassinis had two daughters, Antoinette Daria Cassini (born October 15, 1943), who was born deaf, blind, and mentally retarded, due to her mother's bout during pregnancy with German measles, and Christina "Tina" Cassini (born November 19, 1948).

Fraught with problems that included Tierney's serious depression after the birth of the couple's daughter with disabilities, Cassinis's marriage was short but volatile. Both husband and wife had extramarital relationships, with Tierney's ( while seperated from Cassini ) including affairs with John F. Kennedy, Prince Aly Khan. Tierney won an uncontested divorce in California that year; the action was withdrawn since the couple reconciled before the divorce was made final. However, another divorce action was filed in Los Angeles, California on February 28, 1952, with Tierney declaring that her husband cared more about his tennis game than his wife; the final decree was granted on April 8, 1953.

After his divorce from Tierney, Cassini was, for a brief period of time, unofficially engaged to the actress Grace Kelly.

Death

He died in Manhasset, New York at 92 years of age. He was survived by his third wife, Marianne, his two children, and four grandchildren. He was predeceased by his brother Igor Cassini. At the time of his death, Cassini lived in a Manhattan townhouse and a house in the Town of Oyster Bay, New York, whose property once had been part of the estate of Louis Comfort Tiffany.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 11:52 am
Isn't it wonderful, listeners? Leave it to a turtle to put fresh water in a stagnant pond.

Thanks for making waves, M.D., See, you woke up the hawk, but that could be dangerous. Love that Dylan song, incidentally. Razz
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 11:53 am
Johnny Sheffield

Johnny Sheffield (born April 11, 1931) is an American former child actor.

He was born Jon Matthew Sheffield Cassan in Pasadena, California, the second child of actor Reginald Sheffield (February 18, 1901-December 8, 1957) and Louise Van Loon (January 21, 1905-April 14, 1987). His older sister was Mary Alice Sheffield Cassan and his younger brother was William Hart Sheffield Cassan (actor Billy Sheffield).

His father was himself a former juvenile performer when he came to the United States from his native England. His mother, a native of New York, was a Vassar College graduate with a liberal arts education who loved books and lectured widely.

Johnny was said to have been sickly and frail as a small child, but his father saw to it that he have a daily regimen of exercise. Not only did his health improve, he became strong and physically fit. His father also encouraged him in an acting career.

In 1938, Sheffield became a child star when he was cast in the juvenile lead of a West Coast production of the highly successful Broadway play On Borrowed Time, which starred Dudley Digges and featured Victor Moore as Gramps. Sheffield played the role of Pud, a long role for a child. He later went to New York as a replacement and performed the role on Broadway.

The following year, his father read an article in the Hollywood Reporter that asked, "Have you a Tarzan Jr. in your backyard?" He believed he did and set up an interview.

MGM was searching for a suitable youngster to play the adopted son of Tarzan in its next jungle movie with stars Johnny Weissmuller and Maureen O'Sullivan. Sheffield was taken to an audition and was extremely fortunate, as Weissmuller personally chose him out of all the other juvenile actors to play the part of "Boy" in Tarzan Finds a Son (1939).

In that same year, Sheffield appeared in the Busby Berkely movie musical Babes in Arms with Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland, classmates of his at the studio school.

He appeared with many other performers over the years, including Jeanette MacDonald, Pat O'Brien, Cesar Romero, Ronald Reagan and Beverly Garland.

Sheffield played Boy in three Tarzan movies at MGM, and in another five after the star, Weissmuller, and production of the movie series moved to RKO. The blonde actress Brenda Joyce played Jane in the last three Tarzan movies Sheffield appeared in.

After he outgrew the role of Boy, the teenage Sheffield went on to star in his own jungle movie series. In 1949, he made Bomba the Jungle Boy with co-star Peggy Ann Garner. In all, he appeared as Bomba twelve times.

Sheffield appeared in his last movie, as Bomba, in 1955. He then made a pilot for a television series, Bantu the Zebra Boy, which was created, produced and directed by his father, Reginald Sheffield. Although the production values were high compared to other TV jungle shows of the day, a sponsor was not found and the show was never produced as a weekly series.

Sheffield decided to leave the industry and enrolled in college to further his education. He lived and worked for a time in Arizona.

He married a woman named Patricia in 1959 in Yuma, Arizona. He and Patty have three children: Patrick M. Sheffield, Stewart Sheffield and Regina L. Sheffield.

After leaving show business, Sheffield completed a business degree at UCLA. Turning his attention to other fields, he involved himself variously in farming, real estate and construction. For a time, he was a representative for the Santa Monica Seafood Company importing lobsters from Baja California in Mexico. He has also written articles of his movie reminiscences and sold copies of the TV pilot Bantu, the Zebra Boy on video.

Johnny Sheffield lives in Southern California.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 11:56 am
Joel Grey

Birth name Joel Katz
Born April 11, 1932 (age 75)
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Years active 1951 - Present
Notable roles Emcee in Cabaret
Amos Hart in Chicago
Wizard of Oz in Wicked
Academy Awards

Best Supporting Actor
1972 Cabaret
Tony Awards

Featured Actor in a Musical
1967 Cabaret

Joel Grey (born Joel Katz on April 11, 1932 in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American stage and screen actor.

Career

Grey originated the role of the Master of Ceremonies in the Broadway musical Cabaret in 1966 for which he won the Tony Award. Additional Broadway credits include Come Blow Your Horn (1961), Stop the World - I Want to Get Off (1962), Half a Sixpence (1965), Goodtime Charley (1975), The Grand Tour (1979), Chicago (1996), and Wicked (2003).

Grey won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in 1972 for his performance as the Master of Ceremonies in the film version of Cabaret. His victory was part of a near-Cabaret sweep, which saw Liza Minnelli win Best Actress and Bob Fosse win Best Director, although it lost the Best Picture Oscar to The Godfather. Grey beat front-runner Al Pacino for Best Supporting Actor while Fosse beat Francis Ford Coppola for Best Director.

Grey is one of only nine[1] people who have won both a Tony Award and an Academy Award for the same role.

Grey performed at The Muny in St. Louis, Missouri many times in roles such as George M. Cohan in George M! (1970 and 1992), the Emcee in Cabaret (1971), and Joey Evans in Pal Joey (1983).

Grey appeared frequently as a panelist on the television game show What's My Line? during its 1968 revival. He was also one of the first people to guest star on The Muppet Show in its first season, singing "Razzle Dazzle" and "Cabaret". In 1982 Grey was the on-camera host and narrator for the PBS special, To Hear. He also played an elderly Korean martial arts master in the movie Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins (1985). In 1991, he played an out of this world man, Adam, on the series finale of Dallas.

In 2000, Grey played Oldrich Novy in the film Dancer in the Dark and had recurring television roles on Buffy the Vampire Slayer (as Doc, 2001), Oz (as Lemuel Idzik, 2003) and Alias (as Arvin Clone, 2005). He played the role of a demon in the final episode of Dallas. He also has appeared in Law & Order: Criminal Intent and House.

Personal Life

Grey's other occupation is his life-long avocation--photography. His first book of photographs, "Pictures I Had to Take" was published in 2003; its follow-up, "Looking Hard at Unexpected Things" appeared in the Fall of 2006. (http://www.joelgreyphotographer.com)

He is the the son of entertainer Mickey Katz and the father of actress Jennifer Grey, the star of Dirty Dancing.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 12:01 pm
Louise Lasser

Louise Lasser (born April 11, 1939) is an American actress. She is known for her portrayal of the title character on the soap opera parody Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. She was married to Woody Allen and appeared in several of his films. After hosting an infamous episode of Saturday Night Live, she was banned from performing on the show.

Life and work

Lasser was born in New York City, New York to a Jewish family; her father, Sol Lasser, was a well-known writer of an annual income tax guide. Lasser studied political science at Brandeis University.

Lasser was married to Woody Allen in the 1960s, appearing in his films Take the Money and Run, Bananas, and Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex (But Were Afraid to Ask), as well as being one of the voices for his spoof dubbing of a Japanese spy movie What's Up Tiger Lily?

Louise Lasser became a household name for starring as the neurotic, unhappy housewife Mary Hartman on the outrageous soap opera parody Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman which aired 5 nights a week in 1976-1977.

Lasser also wrote the telemovie Just Me and You (1978), starring in it alongside Charles Grodin. Lasser had a recurring role as Alex's ex-wife on the hit series Taxi (TV series). She also starred in the 1981-82 season of the TV series It's a Living.

In 2000, Louise Lasser appeared on a panel with her former cast members of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman at the Museum of Television and Radio in Beverly Hills (taped for the museum archives).

Her most recent roles of note was in the 1999 film, Mystery Men, where she played the mother of Hank Azaria's character. The year before this she played Mona, the mother of the three main female characters, in Todd Solondz's film Happiness. Lasser also had a role in the film Requiem for a Dream and co-starred with Renee Taylor in National Lampoon's Gold Diggers.

Saturday Night Live

Louise was the first host to be banned from performing on Saturday Night Live again, after she hosted at the end of the first season on July 24, 1976. Lasser was said to be going through personal problems at the time and was reportedly nearly incoherent throughout the broadcast. Lasser refused to do any skits (except ones where she was by herself or with Chevy Chase). Louise played up her popular "Mary Hartman" character's neurotic schtick in an opening bit where she has a "breakdown" during the opening monologue, runs and locks herself in her dressing room and is coaxed out by the cast (including "Land Shark").

At one point before the show aired, Lasser told producer Lorne Michaels that she would not go on the air unless a certain sketch was cut. Michaels responded by informing her that if she did so, he would announce on the live broadcast exactly why she was not appearing as planned, and that the show would continue without her. Chase planned to play all of Lasser's parts in a Mary Hartman wig, with Bill Murray (yet to join the cast but in attendance that night) taking Chase's parts.

Ultimately, Lasser did go on. However, this episode was such a disappointment to Lorne Michaels that it was also barred from syndication minus one showing on Comedy Central in 1991 until 2002, when it appeared as a one-hour syndicated episode on E!. It also appears on the Complete First Season DVD boxset in its unedited, as-broadcast form.
0 Replies