WA2K Radio is now on the air

lmur

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 07:08 pm
Johnny Nash's song reminded me of this terrible pun, Letty.

"Lorraine has left me".

"Really? That's awful I'm so sorry."

"Well, it's not so bad."

"Why?"

"Because I can see Clara now Lorraine has gone""
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 11:06 pm
pardon me roy is that the cat that chewed your new shoes?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 06:19 am
Good morning, WA2K fun folks.

Imur and Ge. You guys gave us a groan and a smile. Love it! So, here's an answer in song.

"Fun, Fun, Fun" Based on the performance by The Beach Boys
"Pun, Pun, Pun" Parody by Phil Alexander

He used to tell himself little jokes, all on his own now
(all on his own now, all on his own now)
What started off little, it really has grown now
(make you groan now, make you groan now)
He's got a bass voice so you know he's gonna lower the tone now
(lower the tone now, lower the tone now)
'Cause he'll make puns puns puns till they strap him down and take him away

He used to practice telling his jokes, in the mirror nightly
(doing it nightly, doing it nightly)
Used to do it in the dark, to prove he's not taking it lightly
(taking it lightly, taking it lightly)
He's the only kid at school whose hero is Richard Whiteley
(Richard Whiteley? not bloody likely)
'Cause he'll make puns puns puns till they strap him down and take him away

Now he's 50% towards his being a wit now
(he's a half-wit now, he's a half-wit now)
He's embarrassing with girls, saying things like "I feel a right tit now"
(feels a tit now, feeling a tit now)
He should have known by now that ain't no way to make a hit now
(he's being hit now, he's being hit now)
'Cause he will pun pun pun till they strap him down and take him away

He will dissolve a tooth then say he's got a molar solution
(molar solution, molar solution)
Rigged up 240 volts to give a shocking lesson in elocution
(elocution - electrocution?)
And he'll never get married - doesn't want to live in an institution
(an institution, an institution)
'Cause he will pun pun pun till they strap him down and take him away.

Well, I had to go to the archives to discover who and what Richard Whiteley was.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 10:41 am
Ward Bond
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wardell E. "Ward" Bond (April 9, 1903 - November 5, 1960) was an American film actor whose qualities of both rugged appearance and easygoing charm led to featured roles in numerous classic films.

Early life

Bond was born in Benkelman, Nebraska - located in the far southwestern corner of Nebraska just a few miles from Kansas and Colorado. The Bond family - father John, mother Mabel and sister Bernice - lived in Benkelman until 1919 when they moved to Denver. Ward graduated from East Denver High School.

College

Bond attended the University of Southern California, where he played on the football team. While on the team, he became friends with teammate and future Hollywood star John Wayne. Bond had an uncredited part in Wayne's first movie as a leading man, The Big Trail (1930), directed by Raoul Walsh. This was the first widescreen movie, predating The Robe by decades.

Hollywood

Ward Bond made his film debut in 1929 and played over 200 roles. He was frequently typecast as a friendly policemen or as a brutal thug. He had a longtime working relationship with Wayne as well as directors John Ford and Frank Capra, performing in such films as The Searchers, Drums Along the Mohawk, The Quiet Man, and Fort Apache for Ford, with whom he made 25 films, and It Happened One Night and It's a Wonderful Life for Capra. Among his other prominent films were Gone with the Wind, The Maltese Falcon, Sergeant York, Joan of Arc, in which he was unusually cast as Captain La Hire, and Rio Bravo. He later starred in the popular NBC television western series Wagon Train from 1957 until his death.

In the 1940s, Bond was a member of right-wing group called the Motion Picture Alliance for the Preservation of American Ideals, whose major platform was opposition to communists in the film industry. Prior to his death, Bond campaigned for the Republican presidential nominee Richard M. Nixon. Bond died only three days before Democrat John F. Kennedy of Massachusetts narrowly defeated Nixon.

Bond appears in more of the films of the American Film Institute's 1998 list of the 100 Greatest American Movies than any other actor : It Happened One Night (1934), Bringing Up Baby (1938), Gone with the Wind (1939), The Grapes of Wrath (1940) , The Maltese Falcon (1941), It's a Wonderful Life (1946) and The Searchers (1956).

A legend has developed that country singer Johnny Horton died in an automobile accident while driving to see Bond at a hotel in Dallas to discuss a possible role in the fourth season of Wagon Train. Although Horton was indeed killed in a car crash early on November 5, 1960, and Bond died from a massive heart attack later that same day, the two events are unrelated. Horton was on his way from Austin to Shreveport, Louisiana, not Dallas. Bond was in Dallas not to meet Horton but to attend a football game. (In any case, Bond, as star of his show, was not a producer and was in no position to hire Horton. Moreover, there was already a "Horton" on Wagon Train, actor Robert Horton (born 1924), who played the fictitious scout "Flint McCullough".)

Bond was 57 at his death. John Wayne gave the eulogy at Bond's funeral.

For his contribution to the television industry, Ward Bond has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6933 Hollywood Blvd. In 2001, he was inducted into the Western Performers Hall of Fame at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City. There is also a Ward Bond Memorial Park in his birthplace of Benkelman, Nebraska.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 10:47 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 10:51 am
Cheeta

(born April 9, 1932) is a male chimpanzee noted for appearing in numerous movies and television shows, most famously many Hollywood Tarzan films of the 1930s and 1940s, in which he portrayed a fictional chimp of the same name.

The role of Cheeta was originally played by a different chimpanzee, who appeared as such in the first two Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan films, Tarzan the Ape Man (1932) and Tarzan and His Mate (1934). The first movie appearance of the chimpanzee who is the subject of this article was in the latter, in which he appeared uncredited as a young chimpanzee riding on the back of the original Cheeta. He was cast in the role of Cheeta himself in the other Weissmuller Tarzans that followed. Cheeta also appeared in Doctor Dolittle (1967) with Rex Harrison, the chimp's last role before retirement.

While inextricably associated in the public mind with Tarzan, Cheeta as a character was a product of the movies, never appearing in any of the original Tarzan novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs. There are in fact no chimpanzees at all in the novels, the closest analog to Cheeta therein being Tarzan's monkey companion N'kima, who appears in several of the later books.

Cheeta became the longest lived known chimpanzee upon reaching the age 64 in 1996. As of 2007, Cheeta is still alive at the age of 75, living at a primate sanctuary called Creative Habitats and Enrichment for Endangered and Threatened Apes (or CHEETA) in Palm Springs, California. He is cited by the Guinness Book of World Records as the world's oldest primate (presumably meaning oldest non-human primate).

Trivia

Six year old American actor David Holt was the uncredited human double for Cheeta's predecessor in Tarzan the Fearless, a 1933 film staring Buster Crabbe.
In retirement Cheeta watches television and makes paintings which are sold to benefit primate-related charities. He often watches his old films with his grandson, Jiggs.
Cheeta baptized a popular Brazilian candy, "Bala Chita", which also features the chimp on the package. Many people in Brazil believe that Cheeta is female, since that is a female name in Portuguese.
The October 4, 2006 edition of the Palm Springs newspaper The Desert Sun reported that Cheeta received his first-ever visit from famed primatologist Jane Goodall the previous day.
Cheeta was bought from Henry Trefflich, a New York animal importer and dealer.
Cheeta will celebrate his 75th birthday on April 9th, 2007 in Palm Springs at his "Casa de Cheeta", hosted by Dan Westfall and Diane Weissmuller, (Johnny Weissmuller's, Jr.'s widow). Many Palm Spring celebrities and press will be in attendance.
There have been 4 unsuccessful attempts to secure a star for Cheeta on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, the most recent two in 2005 & 2006 spearheaded by filmmaker Matt Devlen who is again organizing another campaign for 2007.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 10:53 am
Jean-Paul Belmondo

Born April 9, 1933 (age 73)
Neuilly-sur-Seine, Hauts-de-Seine, France

Jean-Paul Belmondo (nicknamed Bébel) (born April 9, 1933 in Neuilly-sur-Seine, west of Paris), is a Italian-French actor.

As a youngster, he did not do too well in his studies, but developed a passion for boxing and football (soccer).

His breakthrough role was in Jean-Luc Godard's À bout de souffle (aka Breathless) (1960), which made him a major figure in the French New Wave. Later he played in Jean-Pierre Melville's philosophical movie Léon Morin, prêtre (Leon Morin, Priest 1960), then in the Film Noir crime film Le Doulos (The Fingerman 1963). With L'homme de Rio (aka That Man From Rio) (1965) he started to switch to commercial mainstream productions, mainly comedies and action films. Until the mid-1980s, Belmondo's typical characters have been either dashing adventurers or more cynical heroes. He was one of France's biggest box-office stars until 1986. As he grew older, Belmondo preferred concentrating on his stage work, where he encountered great success. He suffered a stroke in 2001 and has since been absent from the stage and the screen.

Family life

The son of the renowned French sculptor Paul Belmondo, he studied at Conservatoire National Superieur d'Art Dramatique (CNSAD); after the minor stage performances he made his screen debut in À pied, à cheval et en voiture (1957) but the episodes with his participation were cut before release. However, the breakthrough role in Jean-Luc Godard's À bout de souffle (1960) made him one of the key figures in the French New Wave. Since mid-60s he completely switched to commercial mainstream pictures and became a big comedy and action star in France. Following the example of Alain Delon he founded his own production company Cerito named after his grandmother's maiden name. In 1989 he was awarded Cesar for his performance in Itinéraire d'un enfant gâté (1988) . Recently he returned to stage performing in the Theatre Marigny in Paris. He still appears in the movies but not so often as before preferring mostly dramatic roles. The president of France distinguished him with order of Legion of Honour. Belmondo has daughter Florence and son Paul. His elder daughter Patricia died in a fire in 1994. None of his children became actors though you could have seen his son Paul in the episodic role in Itinéraire d'un enfant gâté (1988).
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 10:56 am
Brandon De Wilde

Brandon deWilde was an American film actor during his abbreviated life.
Birth name Brandon deWilde
Born April 9, 1942
Brooklyn, New York, USA
Died July 6, 1972 aged 30

Notable roles Joey Starrett in
Shane
Joey Adams in
Night Passage

Brandon de Wilde (April 9, 1942 - July 6, 1972) was an American actor born into a theatrical family in Brooklyn. His father, Frederick A. de Wilde, was a Broadway production stage manager, and his mother, Eugenia de Wilde, was a part-time Broadway actress. The de Wilde family moved from Brooklyn to Baldwin, Long Island after he was born.

Biography

Early life

Brandon de Wilde made his much-acclaimed Broadway debut at the age of 9 in The Member of the Wedding, and was the first child actor to win the Donaldson Award. He also starred in the 1952 film version (directed by Fred Zinnemann).

Career

As the tow-headed Joey who worshipped the mysterious gunman in Shane, he stole the movie and was nominated for an Oscar. He also starred in his own television series, Jamie (1953-1954) which, although popular, was cancelled due to a contract dispute.

He shared an on-screen camaraderie with both James Stewart and Audie Murphy in the 1957 western Night Passage. De Wilde made his mark onscreen as an adolescent in the 1959 drama Blue Denim, co-starring Carol Lynley. He also appeared in Martin Ritt's Hud (1963) starring Paul Newman and Melvyn Douglas, and in All Fall Down (1962) opposite Warren Beatty and Eva Marie Saint.

Although the only lead actor not to be Oscar-nominated for Hud, he went on stage to accept the Best Supporting Actor trophy for co-star Melvyn Douglas (who was in Israel at the time).

De Wilde delivered another widely acclaimed performance at the age of 23 as Jere Torry, the screen son of John Wayne in In Harm's Way (1965). In a career spanning the years 1951 to 1972 (including six Broadway plays and 16 movies), he made his last screen appearance in Wild In The Sky.

Death

Brandon de Wilde was critically injured in a traffic accident in the Denver suburb of Lakewood on the evening of July 6, 1972, while en route to perform in the play, Butterflies Are Free. Swerving to avoid another vehicle, he struck a construction trailer parked on the side of the road, and was pinned under the wreckage of his motorcycle for some time before being taken to Denver General Hospital. He died four hours later. He was 30 years old.

Legacy

De Wilde -- who watched as Paul McCartney wrote the song Wait during the filming of the Beatles movie Help! -- had hoped to embark on a music career. He asked his friend Gram Parsons (of The Byrds), and his band at the time, International Submarine Band, to back him in a recording session. Guitarist John Nuese claimed that de Wilde sang harmony with Parsons better than anyone except Emmylou Harris.

Parsons and Harris later co-wrote a song entitled "In My Hour Of Darkness", whose first verse refers to the accident that killed de Wilde: "Once I knew a young man / Went driving through the night, / Miles and miles without a word / But just his high-beam lights. / Who'd have ever thought they'd build / Such a deadly Denver bend; / To be so strong, to take so long / As it would till the end."

Twice divorced by the time he died, de Wilde left a small son.

He was originally buried in Hollywood, California, but his parents later moved his remains to Pinelawn Memorial Park in Farmingdale, New York in Suffolk County, to be closer to their home in Long Island. Frederick de Wilde died in 1980. Eugenia de Wilde died in 1987.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 10:59 am
Dennis Quaid

Birth name Dennis William Quaid
Born April 9, 1954 (age 53)
Houston, Texas
Spouse(s) P. J. Soles (1978-1983)
Meg Ryan (1991-2001)
Kimberly Buffington (2004 - Present)

Dennis William Quaid (born April 9, 1954) is an American actor.

Biography

Quaid was born to William Rudy Quaid and Juanita Bonniedale Jordan in Houston, Texas. He studied drama at Bellaire High School in Bellaire, Texas and later in college. After his brother Randy Quaid was nominated for an Academy Award for his role in The Last Detail, he dropped out of the University of Houston before graduating and moved to Los Angeles, California, to also pursue an acting career. He initially had trouble finding work but began to gain notice when he appeared in Breaking Away (1979) and earned good reviews for his role in The Right Stuff (1983).

Known for his famous grin, Quaid is a versatile actor, performing in both comedic and dramatic roles. Quaid's acting career seemed to reach its peak in the mid-to-late 1980s, with starring roles in such films as Enemy Mine and Innerspace. He also achieved acclaim for his portrayal of Jerry Lee Lewis in Great Balls of Fire! (1989).

Quaid's career seemed to lose steam in late 1980s/early 1990s after he fought and kicked a painful cocaine addiction, but he continued to prove his worth in a variety of films, and seems to be experiencing a resurgence in popularity since the late nineties. Some of Quaid's most recent film credits include Traffic (2000) as a lowlife attorney, Frequency (2000) as a fireman, Far From Heaven (2002) as a closeted husband, and In Good Company (2004), as an aging advertising executive whose new boss is much younger.

Aside from acting, Quaid is also a musician, and plays with his band the Sharks. He also has a pilot's license.

Quaid is a scratch golfer and, in 2005, was named as the top golfer among the "Hollywood set" by Golf Digest. He lends his name to the annual "Dennis Quaid Charity Weekend" (formerly the "Jiffy Lube/Dennis Quaid Charity Classic") in Austin, Texas. The golf tournament attracts numerous celebrities with the proceeds split among local children's charities. He is a member of Bel-Air Country Club in Beverly Hills and tries to stay at homes on private courses when he is on the road.

Quaid works with the charity "International Hospital for Children in New Orleans." He makes trips to Central America to help build medical clinics and transport sick children back to the United States for treatment they cannot get locally.

In a 2006 interview with Best Life magazine, Quaid said that in the mid-1990s he suffered from anorexia nervosa, saying, "I'd look in the mirror and still see a 180 lb. guy, even though I was 138 pounds," and "for many years, I was obsessed about what I was eating, how many calories it had, and how much exercise I'd have to do."

He is also a huge fan of the rock band Phish and has been spotted at several of their concerts.

He is 6'1".

Family

Quaid has chosen a holiday for each of his weddings (Fourth of July, Valentine's Day, Thanksgiving Day):

July 4, 2004 - present; Kimberly Buffington (real estate agent)
February 14, 1991 - June 16, 2001; Meg Ryan (actress); son Jack Henry (born April 24, 1992)
November 25, 1978 - January 23, 1983; P.J. Soles (actress)
Quaid married Kimberly Buffington of Austin, Texas, who is 18 years younger than Quaid. Quaid was engaged for three years to actress Lea Thompson (Back to the Future, Caroline in the City), whom he met on the movie set of Jaws 3-D in 1983. Dennis Quaid was married to Meg Ryan from 1991 to 2000.

Randy Quaid, Dennis' older brother by 3 years, is an Academy award nominated, Golden Globe winning actor and former castmember of the NBC sketch show Saturday Night Live. Coincidentally, Dennis Quaid hosted a Christmas episode of SNL in the 1990-1991 season.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 11:01 am
You Are Over 60"

Dave & Diane are getting ready for bed.

Diane is standing in front of a full-length mirror
taking a hard look at herself.

"You know, dear," she says, "I look in the mirror,
and see an old woman. My face is all wrinkled,
my boobs are barely above my waist, and my
behind is hanging out a mile. I've got fat legs,
and my arms are all flabby."

She turns to her husband and says, "Tell me
something positive to make me feel better about
myself."

Dave studies her intently for a moment, thinking
about how to respond, then says in a soft,
thoughtful voice,

"Well, there's nothing wrong with your eyesight!!!"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 11:48 am
Well, folks. There's our hawkman with his marvelous bio's from which we always learn something new. Thanks Boston. As for your humorous story of Dave and Diane, I wonder how long it took for Dave's black eyes to heal?

Ah, you burst our balloon about Tarzan and Cheeta, Bob, but then we all know that Edgar Rice Burrough's books and the movies differed on several points. I prefer the movie versions, of course.

Well, we will await our cute puppy to do her photo's before commenting further.

Wow. I wish we could get the hawk, the turtle, and the puppy all in here at one time.

Strange, I was thinking about the play Butterflies are Free as we did that in Virginia in a little theater presentation. Dear Brandon de Wilde. I had no idea that he died so young.

Let's hear a butterfly song, then.

Artist: Debbie Gibson
Song: Butterflies are free

Don't close your hand
just close your eyes
and I will stay right by your side
and if this world
turns cruel and cold
look to the skies
don't you see the truth
the power of one the power of two
the power of me loving you

Butterflies are free
free to come and go
free to spread their wings
know that I know
you'll come back to me
cause love
like Butterflies are free

You'll see a light
you'll hear the call
and if I don't let you fly
I don't know you at all
so go on and roam
see all that you can
born on to this earth
a curious soul
you and you alone
can make you feel whole
but don't I get truth
that you've never known

Butterflies are free
free to come and go
know that I know
you'll come back to me
cause love
like Butterflies are free.

The pain of the grip
the more you'll exist
it's human nature i suppose
but I'd rather be surprised like this
then under your control.

Butterflies are free
free to come and go
know that I know
you'll come back to me
cause love

free to come and go
know that I know
you'll come back to me
cause love

Butterflies are free
free to come and go
know that I know
you'll come back to me
cause love
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 12:39 pm
I hope Dave's black eyes didn't heal. Laughing

Yippee, Cheeta. Another opportunity to post Johnny and his happy jungle family.

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/wt/ward-bond-ebsm.jpghttp://www.avclub.com/content/files/images/avclub_review379.article.jpg
http://www.nndb.com/people/588/000064396/belmondo-sm.jpg
http://www.auschwitz.dk/shane25.jpghttp://andrejkoymasky.com/liv/fam/biod2/dewi1.jpg
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MMPH/255095~Dennis-Quaid-Posters.jpghttp://www.vincrosbie.com/blog/chita_02.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 12:53 pm
There she is, folks, our speckled pup with pictures. Thanks again, PA, and I'm with you. Seeing a man swinging through branches and giving that masculine yodel is a real treat.

Okay. We're looking at Ward, Tom, Jean-Paul, (don't know that Frenchman) dear Brandon, Dennis, and that wonderful quartet, Cheeta, Boy, Tarzan, and Jane.

Well, never heard of this group, but if they are good enough for the Fantastic Voyage man, they are worth a listen, right?

Phish - Army Of One

Northern dilemma
Call of the cold
The arms of the arctic begin to unfold

Sit in a circle facing the sun
Get what you can now
Winter is on

Truth on condition
Never dig deep
Solemn reminders as groundwaters seep
Into foundations, centers of joy
To weaken and crumble
Search and destroy

Light up the city
Hiding so strange
You'd better take cover
It's love at close range

Oh solo mission
Cover of dark
Army of one now, don't let down your guard

Sit in a circle facing the sun
Soak it in while you can
Winter is on
I got no answer but you've got no call
Just can't compete with the weight of it all

Silent treatment
Stone in the rain
Bright, shining doorway
Try to remain

Northern dilemma
Call of the cold
The arms of the arctic begin to unfold
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 01:17 pm
So Much In Love
So Much In Love

As we stroll along together
holding hands walking all along
so in love are we two
that we don't know what to do
so in love (so in love)
in a world of our own (so in love)

as we walk by the sea together
under stars twinkling high above
so in love are we two
no one else but me and you
so in love (so in love)
so much in love (so in love)
so in love (so in love)
so much in love (so in love)

we stroll along together
i tell you, i need you oh so much
i love, i love you my darling
can you tell it in my touch

as we walk down the aisle together
we will vow to be together till we die
so in love are we two
just can't wait to say i do
so in love (so in love)
in a world of our own
(so in love) so in love
(so in love) are you and i
(so in love)
baby, i hope you realize
that you mean so much to me(that u mean, that u mean so much)
you're everything i ever wanted in a woman(your everthang,everthang,everthang,)
touch to feel your body close to me(I love, I love u my darlin)
and i just want to hold you in my arms forever
can you tell it in my touch

as we walk down the aisle together
we will vow to be together till we die
so in love are we two
are we two just can't wait to say i do

so in love (so in love)
are you and i (so in love)
so in love (so in love)
are you and i (so in love)
(so in love) so in love
(so in love) so in love
(so in love) so in love
(so in love) so in love
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 01:29 pm
Ragman! Welcome back. Love your song and it's wonderful to see you in our wee cyber studio. Hmmmm, you've changed. Razz

Love this one by the first lady of song, folks.

Ella Fitzgerald

So in Love

Strange dear, but true dear,
When i'm close to you, dear,
The stars fill the sky,
So in love with you am i.
Even without you,
My arms fold about you,
You know darling why,
So in love with you am i.

In love with the night mysterious,
The night when you first were there,
In love with my joy delirious,
When i knew that you could care,

So taunt me, and hurt me,
Deceive me, desert me,
I'm yours, till i die.....
So in love.... so in love....
So in love with you, my love... am i....
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 01:39 pm
Change the World
Thanks for that WB, Letty!

Change the World

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whw08RmUFNg

If I could reach the stars I'd pull one down for you
Shine it on my heart so you could see the truth
That this love I have inside is everything it seems
But for now I find it's only in my dreams

CHORUS:
That I can change the world
I would be the sunlight in your universe
You will think my love was really something good
Baby if I could change the world

If I could be king even for a day
I'd take you as my queen I'd have it no other way
And our love will rule in this kingdom we have made
Till then I'd be a fool wishin' for the day

CHORUS:

- GUITAR SOLO -

CHORUS:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 01:56 pm
Ah, honey. Wish I could do youtube, but the lyrics tell us what we need to hear. <smile>Thanks, Ragman.

Speaking of sunlight, I've been hearing this song all day, listeners.

Ain't No Sunshine lyrics
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone
It's not warm when she's away
She's gone much too long
Any time she goes away

Wonder if she's gone to stay
And this house just ain't no home
Anytime she goes away

I know
She's gone to stay
It's breakin' me up
Anytime she goes away
Gotta leave the young thing alone
There ain't no sunshine when she's gone

It's not warm when she's away
And she's gone much too long
Any time she goes away

I wonder if she's gone to stay
And this house just ain't a home
Any time she goes away

I know
She's gone to stay
It's breaking me up
Any time she goes away
Gotta leave the young thing alone

I wonder if she's gone to stay
And this house just ain't no home
Any time she goes away
Any time she goes away
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 05:13 pm
Conquistador
Procol Harum

Conquistador your stallion stands
In need of company
And like some angel's haloed brow
You reek of purity
I see your armor plated breast
Has long since lost its sheen
And in your death mask face
There are no signs which can be seen
And though I hoped for something to find
I could see no place to unwind

Conquistador a vulture sits
Upon your silver sheath
And in your rusty scabbard now
The sand has taken seed
And though your jewel-encrusted blade
Has not been plundered still
The sea has washed across your face
And taken of its fill

---- Instrumental Interlude ----

Conquistador there is no time
I must pay my respect
And though I came to jeer at you
I leave now with regret
And as the gloom begins to fall
I see there is no, only all
I know you came with sword held high
You did not conquer, only die
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 05:34 pm
Fantastic song, edgar. Can you believe that I was looking for a conquistador?

Music by Elton John
Lyrics by Tim Rice
Available on the soundtrack "The Road To El Dorado"

Our glorious city
Was build by the divinities by Gods
Who saw fit to bestow
The gift of a pardise
Peaceful and harmonious upon
Us mere mortals below

And made El Dorado
The magnificent and golden
One thousand years ago
El Dorado, El Dorado, El Dorado

But all this was granted
For only one millenium
I know my legacy is to fulfill
My promise to all my people
Who have trusted me, the Gods
Will approve of us still

Preserve El Dorado
And I believe they will

The mountains so high and waters deep
Are her disguise
Her secrets are safe from foreign hands
And eyes forever

Preserve El Dorado
And I believe they will

Back later, folks, with Poe and Francisco Vazquez Coronado
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 06:31 pm
From the pen of Poe

Edgar Allan Poe: El Dorado

Gaily bedight,
A gallant night
In sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long,
Singing a song,
In search of El Dorado.

But he grew old --
This knight so bold --
And -- o'er his heart a shadow
Fell as he found
No spot of ground
That looked like El Dorado.

And, as his strength
Failed him at length,
He met a pilgrim shadow --
"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be --
This land of El Dorado?"

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied --
"If you seek for El Dorado."

And, folks, from Francisco

A Most Famous Failing
Francisco Vázquez de Coronado

The most famous journey ever made in search of treasures in the New World was led by the Spanish Conquistador Francisco Vázquez de Coronado. Seeking the fabled Seven Golden Cities of Cibola, his expedition of 1,400 men and 1,500 animals found only poor Indian villages, but established Spain's later claim to the entire Desert Southwest.

http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/people/images/coronado1.jpg
0 Replies