WA2K Radio is now on the air

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 07:18 am
Sylvia Miles
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sylvia Reuben Lee (born September 9, 1932) better known as Sylvia Miles, is an American actress.

Early life

Miles was born in New York City, New York to Jewish American parents Reuben and Belle Lee. She is believed to have a sister.

The year of birth now generally ascribed to her (1932) may be inaccurate given that she first married in 1948.

Career

Miles played the role of "Sally" in the pilot episode of what would become The Dick Van Dyke Show, which was later taken by Rose Marie for the series. She also appeared in an episode of Naked City as a lovely barfly attempting to communicate with a psychotic Jack Warden.

She is perhaps best known for her role in the movie Midnight Cowboy as a hooker on a busman's holiday with Jon Voight, which earned her an Oscar nomination, despite the role's brevity.

Over the years, the very active Miles has become a cult figure known for her ties to the avant-garde (Warhol, Morrissey, etc.) and her increasingly bizarre appearance over the years and her willingness to attend any public function. One wag remarked that Miles "would attend the opening of an envelope."

Her most recent acting performance was as an old woman who explains to Sarah Jessica Parker's character, Carrie Bradshaw, that she takes her lithium in her ice cream, on an episode of Sex and the City.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 07:22 am
Otis Redding

Background information

Born September 9, 1941
Dawson, GA, USA
Died December 10, 1967
Madison, WI, USA

Otis Ray Redding, Jr. (September 9, 1941 - December 10, 1967) was an influential Black-American deep soul singer, best known for his passionate delivery and posthumous hit single, "(Sittin' On) the Dock of the Bay."

Biography

Early life

Redding was born in the small town of Dawson, Georgia. At the age of 5, he moved with his family to Macon, Georgia. He sang in the choir of the Vineville Baptist Church, and became something of a local celebrity as a teenager after winning a local Sunday night talent show 15 weeks in a row.

Career

In 1960, Redding began touring the South with Johnny Jenkins and The Pinetoppers. That same year he made his first recordings, "She's All Right" and "Shout Bamalama" with this group under the name "Otis and The Shooters".

In 1962, he made his first real mark in the music business during a Johnny Jenkins session when he recorded "These Arms of Mine," a ballad that Redding himself had written. The song became a minor hit on Volt Records, a subsidiary of renowned "Southern soul" label Stax, based in Memphis, Tennessee. His manager was fellow Maconite Phil Walden (who later founded Capricorn Records). Otis Redding continued to release for Stax/Volt, and built his fanbase by extensively touring a legendarily electrifying live show with support from fellow Stax artists Sam and Dave. Further hits between 1964 and 1966 included "Mr. Pitiful", "I Can't Turn You Loose" (to become The Blues Brothers entrance theme music, "Try a Little Tenderness", "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" (The Rolling Stones song), and "Respect" (later a smash hit for Aretha Franklin).

Redding wrote many of his own songs, which was unusual for the time, often with Steve Cropper (of Stax house band Booker T & the MG's, who usually served as Otis' backing band in the studio). Soul singer Jerry Butler co-wrote another hit "I've Been Loving You Too Long". One of his few songs with a significant mainstream following was "Tramp" (1967) with Carla Thomas. Later that year, Redding played at the massively influential Monterey Pop Festival.

Death

Redding and six others were killed when the plane on which they were travelling crashed into Lake Monona in Madison, Wisconsin on December 10, 1967. Ben Cauley, one of the members of Redding's backup band, The Bar-Kays, was the only person aboard the plane to survive. He had been asleep until just seconds before impact, and recalled that upon waking he saw bandmate Phalon Jones look out a window and say, "Oh, no!" Cauley then unbuckled his seat belt, and that was his final recollection before finding himself in the frigid waters of the lake, grasping a seat cushion to keep himself afloat. Otis Redding's body was recovered when the lake bed was dragged with a grappling hook and photos exist of his body being brought out of the water. [1] The cause of the crash was never precisely determined. Redding was only 26 years old when he died. A persistent Madison local urban legend continues to hold that the body was never recovered; generally asserting that an attache case with a large sum of money likewise disappeared. Redding was laid to rest in a tomb on his private ranch in Round Oak, Georgia, 23 miles north of Macon.

After death

"(Sittin' on) the Dock of the Bay" was recorded only three days prior to Redding's death. It was released the next month and became his first #1 single and first million-seller. The fact that "(Sittin' on) the Dock of the Bay" ultimately became Redding's greatest commercial success is notable, not only because its release came after his death, but also because the song is actually a significant stylistic departure from the bulk of his other work.

A few further records were posthumously released, including "Hard to Handle" (1968).

His death is particularly tragic when one considers the plans he had before he died. Drummer Mickey Jones of The Band has related a meeting between Redding and Bob Dylan where Dylan played his new song "Just Like a Woman" for Redding. Redding was, according to Jones, very impressed, and told Dylan that he would record the song as soon as he could. Unfortunately, he was killed before he could accomplish this, so we are left to only imagine what Redding could have done with the song.

His sons Dexter and Otis III founded together with cousin Mark Locket the funk/disco-band "The Reddings" in 1978.

In 2002, the city of Macon honored its native son, unveiling a memorial statue of Redding in the city's Gateway Park.

Redding appears as an evil version of himself in Nightmares & Dreamscapes, in the story You Know They Got a Hell of a Band. Redding is portrayed as a police officer in the town of Rock N Roll Heaven, which is populated by late rock and roll legends.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 07:28 am
Hugh Grant

Born: 9 September 1960
London, England

Hugh John Mungo Grant (born 9 September 1960) is an English actor.

Background

Grant was born in London, England to James and the late Finvola Grant, who was of Scottish ancestry. He has one brother, James Grant, who lives in New York.

Grant attended Latymer Upper School and New College, Oxford, where he read English. While at Oxford he was a member of the Piers Gaveston Society, a flamboyant student dining club named after the alleged lover of King Edward II of England. [1]

Career

Grant made his film debut in 1982 with the Oxford-financed Privileged. Television came later, in 1985. In 1991, he starred in the film Impromptu as Frédéric Chopin opposite Julian Sands.

One of his first major film roles was in The Remains of the Day (1993), and he became simultaneously known as the partner of actress Elizabeth Hurley whom he had been dating since at least 1987. However, it was Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994) which turned him into a major star.

Not long after gaining a starring role in Sense and Sensibility in 1995, Grant was arrested near Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood, having been caught receiving oral sex from a prostitute, Divine Brown, in a car. A public apology on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno helped win back public support.[2] Although he was forgiven by Hurley, they broke up some years later.

Grant kept a low profile until 1999, when he starred in Notting Hill opposite Julia Roberts (of which he told E! Online, "It's very weird to be kissing an icon,"), and followed up with major successes in Bridget Jones's Diary (2001), About a Boy (2002) and Two Weeks Notice (2002) opposite Sandra Bullock. He returned to frequent collaborator Richard Curtis for the 2003 romantic comedy, Love Actually, and the sequel to Bridget Jones's Diary, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason was released in 2004.

He is engaged to British heiress Jemima Goldsmith Khan.[3]

Grant has never acted on the London stage.

Trivia

In his earlier career, he was often credited as Hughie Grant.
Thomas Sangster, who played Sam in Love Actually, is Grant's second cousin once removed.
Grant played cricket in his younger days, and currently enjoys playing golf, frequently taking part in Pro-Am tournaments where he receives tuition from Colin Montgomerie. He is a fan of Fulham Football Club.
In the pilot episode of Love Monkey one of the characters defines a man's discontenment with a woman, no matter how perfect, as "Grant's Law", named after Hugh Grant. It is a play upon Murphy's Law.
On the Oprah Winfrey show during the promotions for Edge of Reason, he revealed that the only movie out of his whole career that "does not make [him] cringe" is About A Boy.
He opted out of a nude scene in Four Weddings and a Funeral after the on-set makeup artist asked him if he wanted definition painted on his body.
Jay Leno told The Independent (UK) that there are only 18 celebrities worth interviewing on a talk show, and one of them is Hugh Grant.
Grant was offered the role of Gilderoy Lockhart in the Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets film, but turned it down. He said that he later regretted this decision.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 07:47 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 07:53 am
Henry Thomas

Henry Jackson Thomas, Jr. is an American actor and musician. He has appeared in more than 40 films, but is probably best known for his role as Elliot in the 1982 Steven Spielberg film E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial and his part in the 1984 movie Cloak & Dagger.

Thomas was born September 9, 1971 in San Antonio, Texas, USA, the son of Carolyn L. Davis and Henry Jackson Thomas, a hydraulics mechanic.

After E.T., Thomas returned to Texas, acting in film and on TV from time to time while attending school and generally leading the life of a regular kid. He attended East Central High School in San Antonio, Texas and Blinn College in College Station, Texas.

Thomas returned to film in the late 1980's and early 1990's and began to prove himself in adult roles. He is currently both an actor and musician, and performs with the band The Blueheelers.

Thomas's first marriage to Kelly Hill ended in divorce. He married German actress Marie Zielcke in May 2004. They have a daughter, Hazel.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 07:56 am
I THINK YOU'RE THE FATHER OF ONE OF MY KIDS
> >
> >
> > A guy goes to the supermarket and notices a beautiful blond woman
> >wave at him and say hello.
> >
> > He's rather taken aback, because he can't place how he knows her.
>So
> >he says, "Do you know me?" To which she replies, "I think you're the
> >father of one of my kids."
> >
> > Now his mind travels back to the only time he has ever been
> >unfaithful to his wife and says, "My God, are you the stripper from my
> >bachelor party that I laid on the pool table with all my buddies
> >watching, while your partner whipped my butt with wet celery and then
> >stuck a carrot up my butt???"
> >
> >
> >She looks into his eyes and calmly says, "No, I'm your son's math
>teacher."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 08:01 am
My gawd, hawkman. As I once observed, we are our own worst enemy. Hilarious, Boston. Lots of good bio's today, but I shall wait for our Raggedy before commenting. I know she will love James Hilton.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 08:20 am
Good morning.

Funny, Bob.

I do love "Lost Horizon", Letty. Smile
And also "Ebb Tide" , and I thought you might like to know that it was written in 1953 by Carl Sigman (lyrics) and Robert Maxwell (music). Maxwell was a harpist who actually played popular tunes on the harp. I had one of his records in the days of yore. Ebb Tide was featured in "Sweet Bird of Youth" (Tenn. Williams) with Paul Newman. Vic Damone had a hit recording in the fifties and then it was revived by "The Platters" in 1960 and "The Righteous Brothers" in 1965. My favorite rendition is by John Gary, tenor.

Just some useless trivia for the archives. Smile

Be back shortly with the Picture Gallery.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 08:23 am
Roy Hamilton also had a lot of success with Ebb Tide. It was the flip side of his single, You'll Never Walk Alone.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 08:50 am
Edgar: I don't believe I've every heard Roy Hamilton. Did you like his version?

Today's B.D. celebs:

http://cinefania.com/pics/personas/9/9486.jpghttp://dvdtoile.com/ARTISTES/2/2092.jpghttp://www.photorazzi.com/mas_assets/pfthumb/AGM-003655.jpghttp://image.excite.co.jp/jp/music/jacket/4988/0292/m/4988029266347_m.jpg
http://interaktiv.vg.no/filmextra/bilder/personer/hugh_grant.jpghttp://www.funmunch.com/celebrities/actors/adam_sandler/enlarge/enlarge.jpghttp://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/3/3a/180px-Hthomas.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 08:54 am
Roy Hamilton
16 April 1929, Leesburg, Georgia, USA, d. 20 July 1969, New Rochelle, New York, USA. Hamilton's booming baritone voice made him a 50s hitmaker singing gospel-flavoured pop songs. In the late 40s Hamilton honed his singing skills in a church choir and as a member of its offshoot quartet, the Searchlight Singers. He won a talent contest at the Apollo Theatre in 1947, but it was not until 1953 that he was discovered singing in a New Jersey club by Bill Cook, an influential local disc jockey who became the singer's manager. Hamilton's very first record for Columbia Records' subsidiary Epic, "You'll Never Walk Alone", became an R&B number 1 and national US Top 30 hit in 1954, and it shot Hamilton to fame (the song would also later become a UK hit for Gerry And The Pacemakers in 1963). There followed for Hamilton a long string of singles that reached both R&B and pop audiences, notably "If I Loved You", "Ebb Tide" and "Hurt" (all three 1954), and "Unchained Melody" (an R&B number 1, 1955). Hamilton's songbook was built from the most popular entertainments of the day; "You'll Never Walk Alone" and "If I Loved You" were two Rodgers And Hammerstein songs taken from their musical Carousel, and "Unchained Melody" came from a Warner Brothers film, Unchained. Hamilton retired during 1956-58 owing to exhaustion, but when he came back he had adopted the harder gospel sound of his youth to compete with rock 'n' roll and the emerging soul sound. Best reflecting the change in style were the singles "Don't Let Go" (1958) and his last hit record, "You Can Have Her" (1961), plus the album Mr. Rock And Soul in 1962. The Epic label treated Hamilton as a major pop star and issued 16 albums by the artist. During the mid-60s, his career sank while recording with MGM Records and then RCA Records, and he died not long after suffering a stroke in 1969
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 08:57 am
I'm thinking, the 45 record I had of You'll Never Walk Alone and Ebb Tide was a reissue, combining what may have been seperate singles.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 09:07 am
Thanks for the bio, Edgar. I've just been listening to snippets - pleasant voice. I like the way he does Oh What It Seemed To Be. I don't know how I missed him in the fifties. Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 09:10 am
I love these discussions on our little radio, listeners. Thanks edgar. We can always count on you to pull us through. <smile>

Well, Raggedy, once again, you have done a wonderful job of putting name to face. Somewhere deep in my grey cells there is a memory of Jane Greer. Didn't she have a face lift that went awry?

Well, here is a song, but I can't remember this Billy Idol version

Billy Idol
» Shangrila

I'm bathing in warm liquid colour
Feel every cell in my body is music
Floating in hyperspacial sound
Visualizing the landscapes of my mind
I'm opening the door to inner space
I'm feeling the vibrasound

We can live forever
We can live forever
Strike that gong
We can live forever
Our love can live forever
In shangrila

Transform with inner guidance
To a place of peace and paradise
(Oh what a feeling)
Relax let your thoughts drift away
(Oh what a feeling)
Live in belief and harmony
(Chance of freedom)

We can live forever
We can live forever
Stike that gong
We can live forever
Our love can live forever
In shangrila om
In shangrila om

Access your new state of mind
Dedication discipline
Searching the sensory science
Has resulted in shangrila

We can live forever
(Forever & ever & ever)
We can live forever
Our love could live forever
In shangrila
We can live forever
(Forever & ever & ever)
We can live forever
Strike that gong
We can live forever
In shangrila om

A piece of a dream
The color of green
The color of healing
In shangrila
Color of love
In shangrila
I feel the sacred healing chants

I feel the moment
Of my death
I feel the higher learning
I feel the realization of forgiveness
Compassion and loving kindness
Om
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 10:31 am
SONNY KNIGHT
"Confidential"

Confidential as a church at twilight
Sentimental as a rose in the moonlight
My love for you will always be
Confidential to me

Confidential as a mother's prayer
Too beautiful for other hearts to share
Confidential to me

Our love's our precious secret
The beautiful thing apart
There's no need for prying eyes
To look into my heart

Confidential as a baby's cry
Sacred and moving as a lover's sigh
Confidential to me

Confidential as a baby's cry
Sacred and moving as a lover's sigh
Confidential to me
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 11:17 am
Ah, edgar, A secret love? Very interesting lyrics, Texas. Odd that I should find this poem:

Robbie Williams - Confidential

Thank you for letting me be me.
Thank you for lettting me be myself
Some people don't like me being me
It seems that I make them feel uneasy about themselves
I've tried hard in the past to fit in with people
It hasn't worked
So thank you for letting me be me
It's the only me I do
And I get offeneded when I'm not liked
I would also like to think that that's a natural human emotion
But it seems the position I'm in means it's OK to hate me
Even if we've never met
I'm on the telly so people think I don't have feelings
I do
I read stuff about me that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy
You have never said or thought these things
I have money to spend and I live the life of a high roller
But you've never held this against me
Some people make me feel as though I don't deserve to be where I am
And beleive me I too on many occassions have had these feelings
They're not alone
But you have never thought these things
So thank you for allowing me to be me
If I'm ever abrasive or seem arrogant
It's because I'm scared
But you know this
And you let me be me
Some people will watch this and tear it to pieces
But they're not like you
They won't let me be me.

That poem reminds me of someone I know.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 12:27 pm
At My Front Door
The El Dorados

Crazy little mama come knocking
Knocking at my front door, door, door
Knocking at my front door
Crazy little mama come knock, knock, knocking
Just like she did before

I woke up this morning with a feeling of despair
Lookin' for my baby and she wasn't there
Heard someone knocking and much to my surprise
There stood my baby looking in my eyes
Just like she did before

If you got a little mama and ya want to keep her neat
Keep your little mama off my street
Same thing will happen like it did before
She'll come knock, knock, knocking at my door
Just like she did before

Knocking at my front door, door, door
Knocking at my front door
Just like she did before

If you got a little mama and ya want to keep her neat
Keep your little mama off my street
Same thing will happen like it did before
She'll come knock, knock, knocking at my door
Just like she did before
Yi, yi, yi,yi, yi, yi.....
Just like she did before
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oooooooooo
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 12:36 pm
Speaking of "crazy little mamma", edgar. Here's a report from the world of psychology:

With the anniversary of 9/11 coming up in a few days, this could be justified.

Researchers identify "male warrior effect" Fri Sep 8, 12:14 PM ET

NORWICH (Reuters) - Men may have developed a psychology that makes them particularly able to engage in wars, a scientist said on Friday.

New research has shown that men bond together and cooperate well in the face of adversity to protect their interests more than women, which could explain why war is almost exclusively a male business, according to Professor Mark van Vugt of the University of Kent in southern England.

"Men respond more strongly to outward threats, we've labeled that the 'man warrior effect'," he told the British Association for the Advancement of Science meeting.

"Men are more likely to support a country going to war. Men are more likely sign up for the military and men are more likely to lead groups in more autocratic, militaristic ways than women," he added.

Van Vugt said the finding is consistent with results from different behavioral science disciplines.

In experiments with 300 university men and women students, Van Vugt and his team gave the volunteers small sums of money which they could either keep or invest in a common fund that would be doubled and equally divided. None of the students knew what the others were doing.

Both sexes cooperated in investing in the fund. But when the groups were told they were competing against other universities, the males were more eager to invest rather than keep their money while the number of women contributing remained the same.

"We all know males are more aggressive than females," Van Vugt said, adding that co-operation is needed to establish institutions and governments and to wage wars.

"Male co-operation is a double-edged sword," he added.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 12:38 pm
To me, people are territorial animals. The males are by nature the warriors.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 12:55 pm
Perhaps, edgar, but have you ever seen a female in defense of her young? <smile>

Patton believed himself to be the reincarnation of a Spartan warrior.

From Led Zepplin:

Achilles Last Stand

It was an april morning when they told us we should go
As I turn to you, you smiled at me
How could we say no?

With all the fun to have, to live the dreams we always had
Oh, the songs to sing, when we at last return again

Sending off a glancing kiss, to those who claim they know
Below the streets that steam and hiss,
The devil's in his hole

Oh to sail away, to sandy lands and other days
Oh to touch the dream, hides inside and never seen.

Into the sun the south the north, at last the birds have flown
The shackles of commitment fell, in pieces on the ground

Oh to ride the wind, to tread the air above the din
Oh to laugh aloud, dancing as we fought the crowd

To seek the man whose pointing hand, the giant step unfolds
With guidance from the curving path, that churns up into stone

If one bell should ring, in celebration for a king
So fast the heart should beat, as proud the head with heavy feet.

Days went by when you and i, bathed in eternal summers glow
As far away and distant, our mutual child did grow

Oh the sweet refrain, soothes the soul and calms the pain
Oh albion remains, sleeping now to rise again

Wandering & wandering, what place to rest the search
The mighty arms of atlas, hold the heavens from the earth

The mighty arms of atlas, hold the heavens from the earth
From the earth...

I know the way, know the way, know the way, know the way (x2)

Oh the mighty arms of atlas, hold the heavens from the earth.
0 Replies