WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 05:05 pm
Wow! Dutchy. Good to see you back on our little radio. I am amazed, honey. I had no idea that Johnny Ray did that one. I think Nat Cole did it as well. Love it, however.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 05:10 pm
You are right Letty several singers recorded this, but I believe Johnny Ray may have been the first one, I still have his 78rpm record bought......very, very long ago. Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 05:16 pm
So many people do so many songs, Dutchy. My older sister had a big crush on Johnny Ray. Wonder if he is still around?

Hey, Auzzie. What would YOU like to hear? It is so nice having you back. Now we have several countries playing and listening, which was our original intent for this cyber radio.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 05:16 pm
just arriving from the venice thread ... as i posted there ..."hope we'll get there before it's being closed down "...
hbg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rain In Venice
(From the album "YES YOU CAN")

Rain on my window, blurring my vision of another day
Can't get a thing going right
It don't count or matter anyway
When i lost you, i was acting like a fool
And when i'd got you, i was making it like i'm cool
It's true

Love has flooded my heart and there's
Rain in Venice for the first time

Brushing my hair down, belting my raincoat 'gainst
Another storm
I'm gonna tear down your photograph
And the memories I've been hiding from
I'll keep walking, I'll keep running away from the truth
People keep talking, they're spreading rumours about
My news, they're fools

I'm moving in shadow, just another episode of boy
loses girl
But that's a cold-hearted epitah
of a story i refuse to tell
I'll keep trying, I'll keep on sending you private signs
I'll keep trying, I'll keep on giving you, giving you,
Giving all my news - to you

and here a little illustration ...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/msliss123/venice.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 05:21 pm
Ah, hamburger, an illustrated song. How wonderfully hypnotic. Thank you for both. I particularly like this stanza:

I'm moving in shadow, just another episode of boy
loses girl
But that's a cold-hearted epitaph
of a story i refuse to tell
I'll keep trying, I'll keep on sending you private signs
I'll keep trying, I'll keep on giving you, giving you,
Giving all my news - to you
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 05:34 pm
Just a little bit about Johnny Ray who died in 1990 Letty.

Ray was born in Hopewell (near Dallas), Oregon, and spent part of his childhood on a farm, eventually moving to Portland, Oregon. He is often mistakenly said to be of American Indian origin, due to the erroneous claims of a malicious publicity agent. He became deaf in his right ear at age 12 due to an accident as a Boy Scout involving a blanket toss, when he fell on the ground hitting his ear, and would often perform wearing a mauve hearing aid. A later operation left him almost completely deaf in both ears.

Ray first attracted attention while performing at the Flame Showbar in Detroit, an R&B nightclub where he was the only white performer. Inspired by rhythm singers like Kay Starr, LaVern Baker and Ivory Joe Hunter, Ray developed a unique rhythm-based style that was far closer to what would become known as "rock 'n' roll" than any other music of the time. Much like Frankie Laine before him, he was often mistaken for a black artist when his records first started hitting the airwaves.

His first record, the self-penned R&B number for OKeh Records, "Whiskey and Gin," was a minor hit in 1951, but by the end of the year he would be dominating the charts with the double-sided monster hit single of "Cry" backed by "The Little White Cloud That Cried" (the latter also a Ray composition). His emotional delivery struck a chord with teenagers, and he quickly became the biggest teen idol since Frank Sinatra fell over himself almost ten years earlier (he has been volubly cited as the historical link between Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley in the development of popular music).

Ray's unorthodox performing style included many theatrics later associated with rock 'n' roll, including beating up his piano, writhing on the floor and (famously) crying. Also like Laine, his shows were often compared to religious revival meetings with the audience often getting worked up into as profound an emotional frenzy as the singer. He quickly earned a plethora of nicknames including "The Atomic Ray," "Mr. Emotion," "The Nabob of Sob," "The Cry Guy" and "The Prince of Wails."

More hits followed, including "Please Mr. Sun," "Such A Night," "Walkin' My Baby Back Home," "A Sinner Am I" and "Yes Tonight Josephine." His last hit was "Just Walkin' in the Rain," in 1956. He was even more popular in the UK than in the U.S., breaking the record at the London Palladium formerly set by Frankie Laine. Although his star rapidly diminished in the US, he retained a loyal fan base overseas, particularly in Australia.

As wild off the stage as on, Ray soon became fodder for tabloids like Confidential and Hush-Hush which conspired to destroy his phenomenal popularity (at one point he had four of the top songs on the charts in one week out of the Top Ten). But, ironically, he was ultimately a victim of the rock 'n' roll genre he did so much to establish. As younger and younger artists came to dominate the charts, the thirty-something Johnnie Ray was soon left by the wayside.

Though Ray married Marilyn Morrison in 1952, his wife was well aware of the singer's homosexuality. She believed she would be able to "straighten it out." But some years later, his manager Bill Franklin became Ray's lover. Rumored to be bisexual, the singer was prosecuted for indecency in a public toilet. When he was arrested in 1959, there was much gossip about his homosexual leanings. This took a toll on Ray's popularity and contributed to the decline of his career.

His career revived in the 1970s, but it is only since the late 1990s that he has gained a great deal of recognition. A chronic and lifelong alcoholic, he died of liver failure in Los Angeles at the age of 63.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 05:46 pm
about rome i can say : " i've been there ... "
but i'll let perry come do the singing ... i'll hum along if nobody minds .... i'm a great hummer
hbg

PERRY COMO Song Lyrics
-------------------------------
Arrivederci Roma ( Goodbye to Rome )
(From the album "IN ITALY")

Arrivederci Roma,
Goodbye, goodbye to Rome . . .

City of a million moonlit places,
City of a million warm embraces,
Where I found the one of all the faces,
Far from home!

Arrivederci Roma,
It's time for us to part,

Save the wedding bells for my returning,
Keep my lover's arms outstretched and yearning,
Please be sure the flame of love keeps burning,
In her heart!

City of a million moonlit places,
City of a million warm embraces,
Where I found the one of all the faces,
Far from home!

Arrivederci Roma,
It's time for us to part,

-----------------------------------------------------------------
we threw some pennies into the trevi fountain ... i guess that means we'll be going back

http://www.tropicalisland.de/italy/rome/trevi_fountain/thumbnails/FCO%20Rome%20-%20Trevi%20Fountain%20detail%2003%203008x2000.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 05:49 pm
Ah, Dutchy. What a sad life for the man. You filled us in on so many depressing elements. No wonder he sang and wrote, CRY. We've come a long way in America, I'm happy to say. Thanks, Auzzie. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 05:59 pm
Ah, hamburger, I missed that song and the fountain. Lovely, Canada. What a wonderful way to spend an evening.

Lyrics - Three Coins in the Fountain Lyrics

Artist: Lyrics
Song: Three Coins in the Fountain Lyrics
[all]
three coins in the fountain
each one seeking happiness

[francis]
thrown by three hopeful lovers
wich one will the fountain bless?

[all]
three hearts in the fountain
each heart longing for it's home

[francis]
there they lie in the fountain

[jinx sparky smudge]
ooh ooh ohh where?

[francis]
somewhere in the heart of rome

[all]
wich on will the fountain bless
wich one will the fountain bless?
three coins in the fountains
through the ripples how they shine

[francis]
just one wish will be granted

[jinx sparky smudge]
ooh ooh ooh wich?

[francis]
one heart will wear a valentine

[all]
make it mine
make it mine
...make it mine

[all]
whooo
wich one will the fountain bless
wich one will the fountain bless
three coins in the fountain
through the ripples how they shine

[francis]
just ine wish will be granted

[jinx sparky smudge]
ooh ooh ooh wich

[francis]
one heart will wear a valentine

[all]
make it mine
make it mine
make it miiiiinnne

My word, folks. I thought our Francis only did karaoke. <smile>, and I refuse to correct the spelling on that rendition.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 06:37 pm
november 1998
mrs has just tossed ... 'three coins in the fountain' ...
we'll be back !
hbg

(thumbnail)
http://img473.imageshack.us/img473/1976/rome001xz3.th.jpg

and andrea bocelli sings "i love rossini" - indeed i do !
(the english version :wink: )
I Love Rossini

Alone, as if by force of habit
Even tonight, I stop by the bar
An echo, taunting me, fills the air
It's a voice, a voice that's all too familiar
It's you, so close, but you hide
Because you're still talking about me
Could it be you cannot forget me
You speak to a friend that knows nothing of me
You're talking of my heart
And the bar, it smells of coffee
As the ice cream counter plays witness
d'amore to your tale
Slander is a wicked wind
Said the writer with his pen
But you believed it to be true
While for me there was no reason
To give credence to suspicious envy
Yet even now, you're still talking about me
Could it be you cannot forget me
My faltering command of English
That won your love right here
And countless coffees we shared together
I told you I love Rossini, you know,
the Italian opera
Right here, by the ice cream counter
Now I'm explaining this love to your friend
I plead, tell this to my love
She sits there, uncaring, at your side
Tell her if the opera isn't enough, there will be
another song, tell her
If you still feel the need to talk of me
Then surely, you haven't forgotten
And I'm still singing about you
Because I know I can't forget you
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 06:53 pm
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 07:15 pm
what a wonderfully descriptive poem , letty !
makes me feel like i should saddle my horse :wink: .
hbg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 07:24 pm
I love Browning, hamburger, so let him be my guide into dreamland as I follow the Pied Piper. <smile>

Goodnight, my friends.

From Letty with love.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 08:25 pm
Unchained Melody
Les Baxter (original version)

[Words by Hy Zaret and Music by Alex North]

(Unchain me, unchain me)
(Unchain me, unchain me)
(Unchain me)

(Unchain me, unchain me)
(Unchain me, unchain me)

Oh, my love, my darling
I've hungered for your touch
A long, lonely time
Time goes by so slowly
And time can do so much
Are you still mine
I need your love, I need your love
God speed your love to me
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 08:59 pm
Speedo
The Cadillacs

(Bom-bom-bom-bom)
(Ba-ba-do-do-do)
(Bom-bom-bom)
(Ba-ba-do-do-do)
(Bom-bom-bom)
(Ba-ba-do-do-do)
(Bom-bom-bom)
(Ba-ba-do-do-do)

Well now, they often call me Speedo
But my real name is Mr. Earl
Umm-hm-hm-hm
Now, they often call me Speedo
Um-hm-hm-hm
Known for meetin' brand new fellas
And takin' other folk's girl

'Cause I don't believe in wastin' time
Umm-hm-hm
Well, they often call me Speedo
'Cause I don't believe in wastin' time
Umm-hm-hm
Well, I'm known some pretty women
And that's caused them to change their minds
Umm-hm-hm

Well now, some may call me, Joe
Some may call me, Moe
Just remember Speedo
He don't never take it slow

Umm-hm-hm
Umm-hm-hm

(sax & instrumental & clapping & chorus)

Well now, some may call me, Moe
Some may call me, Joe
Just remember Speedo
He don't never take it slow

Umm-hm-hm
Umm-hm-hm
And now they got to call me Speedo
'Till they call off makin' pretty girls

Umm-hm-hm

Um-hm-hm-hm

Hm-hm-hm-hm

Hm-hm-hm-hm

FADES-

Hm-hm-hm-hm.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 09:02 pm
Don't Forbid Me
Pat Boone

[Words and Music by Charles Singleton]

Don't forbid me to hold you tight
A-darlin', don't-a forbid me to hold you tight
Let me hold you in my lovin' arms
'Cause it's cold and I can keep you warm

A-don't-a forbid me to kiss your lips
A-darlin' don't-a forbid me to kiss your lips
Let me kiss you
Please, baby, please
'Cause it's cold and your lips might freeze

Well, there's a strong West wind a-blowin'
And there's a big blue moon above
And, pretty baby, I've been knowin'
You need some heart-warmin' love

So don't-a forbid me to talk sweet talk
A-Darlin' don't-a forbid me to talk sweet talk
Let-a me fill your little heart with fire
'Cause it's cold, so don't forbid my desire

It's so cold (it's so cold)
So don't forbid-a my desire
(Don't forbid my desire)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 05:47 am
Good morning, WA2K radio listeners and contributors. My word, edgar. Thanks for the triple threat. The only one I recall is Unchained Melody. I am trying to remember who had the popular recording of that one.

Since our German shepherd's name was Eb, let's start the day with this one, folks, and it may match edgar's melody.

by The Righteous Brothers performed by Oracle:

First the tide rushes in
Plants a kiss on the shore
Then rolls out to sea
And the sea is very still once more

So I rush to your side
Like the oncoming tide
With one burning thought
Will your arms open wide

At last we're face to face
And as we kiss through an embrace
I can tell, I can feel
You are love, your are real
Really mine in the rain
In the dark, in the sunÂ…

Like the tide at its ebb
I'm at peace in the web of your armsÂ…
Ebb tide!!!!

Ah, my humorous husband. Quote: When the paper boy comes by, be sure and keep Eb tied. Razz
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 06:56 am
James Hilton
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

James Hilton (September 9, 1900 - December 20, 1954) was a popular English novelist of the first half of the 20th century.

Born in Leigh, near Wigan, in Lancashire, England on 9 September 1900, he was the son of John Hilton, the headmaster of Chapel End School in Walthamstow, who was one of the inspirations for Mr Chipping in Goodbye, Mr. Chips. (Hilton was born on Wilkinson Street in Leigh - there is a teacher in Goodbye, Mr Chips called Mr Wilkinson, which seems too deliberate to be a coincidence.) The setting for Goodbye, Mr Chips is believed to have been based on the Leys School, Cambridge, where James Hilton was a pupil. Mr Chipping is also likely to have been based on W.H. Balgarnie, one of the masters of the school who was in charge of the Leys Fortnightly (where Hilton's first short stories and essays were published).

Hilton found literary success at an early age. His first novel, Catherine Herself, was published in 1920. Several of his books found a new audience through film adaptations, notably Lost Horizon (1933), which won a Hawthornden Prize; Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1934); and Random Harvest (1941). Hilton won an Oscar in 1942 for his work on the screenplay of Mrs. Miniver by Jan Struther. He hosted The Hallmark Playhouse (1948-1953) for CBS Radio.

Hilton popularised the term "Shangri-La" in his novel Lost Horizon, which may have been inspired by the Tibetan travel articles of explorer Joseph Rock. It is also believed that the isolated little valley town of Weaverville, in far northern California's Trinity California, inspired Hilton's idea. US President Roosevelt soon named his Maryland presidential retreat "Shangri-La" after it, and the name has become a byword for a mythical utopia - a permanently happy land, isolated from the world. (Later, President Dwight David Eisenhower renamed it Camp David, after his grandson; this name continues in use today.) Zhongdian, a mountain region of southwest China, has now renamed itself Shangri-La (Xianggelila) based on its claim to have inspired Hilton's book.

Hilton was married and divorced twice, to Galina Kopineck and Alice Brown. He died in Long Beach, California from liver cancer on December 20, 1954, aged 54.

Trivia

A furore was caused in the late 1990s, when Wigan Council (the Metropolitan Borough responsible for Leigh) announced that they were to erect a blue plaque in honour of Hilton, but not on his house in Wilkinson St, but on the town hall. This caused great debate amongst the populace of Leigh, who considered it more appropriate to have the plaque erected on the house itself, which is only a few hundred yards from the town hall.

Following the Doolittle raid on Tokyo in 1942, when a force of normally land-based aircraft were successfully embarked on and flown from an aircraft carrier, the Japanese were baffled as to how such aircraft could possibly have reached and bombed Japan, given that there were no US land bases within range at that time. President Roosevelt claimed that the aircraft had flown from Shangri-La. An Essex class aircraft carrier was subsequently named 'Shangri-La', commemorating both the raid and the taunt.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 07:03 am
Jane Greer

.Jane Greer (September 9, 1924 - August 24, 2001) was a movie actress who was perhaps best known for her role as femme fatale Kathie Moffat in Out of the Past (1947).

The five-foot five Greer began life as Bettejane Greer in Washington D.C. A beauty-contest winner and professional model from her teens, Greer began her show business career as a big band singer. Howard Hughes spotted Greer modeling on the cover of Life magazine on June 8, 1942 and sent her to Hollywood to become an actress. She married Rudy Vallee, her senior by 22 years, the same year. Hughes lent out the actress to RKO to star in many films including Dick Tracy (1945), The Falcon's Alibi (1946), Out of the Past (1947),They Won't Believe Me (1947), and the comedy/suspense film The Big Steal (1949), alongside Out of the Past co-star Robert Mitchum. Hughes refused to let her work for a time; when she finally began film acting again, she appeared in The Prisoner of Zenda (1952), The Clown (1953), Run for the Sun (1956), The Man of a Thousand Faces (1957), Where Love Has Gone (1964) and The Outfit (1973). In 1984 she was cast in Against All Odds, a remake of Out of the Past, playing Rachel Ward's mother. She also participated in an Out of the Past parody on TV's Saturday Night Live with her original costar Robert Mitchum.

Her son Lawrence Lasker is a movie producer. He has co-produced several films, including WarGames (1983) and Sneakers (1992).

Greer died of cancer at the age of 76 in 2001 and was interred in the Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery in Los Angeles.

Marriages

She was married to Rudy Vallee (1943 - 1944) (divorced) and to Edward Lasker (1947 - 1963) (divorced). She had three children with Lasker.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 07:09 am
Cliff Robertson

Clifford Parker Robertson III (born September 9, 1925) is an American Academy Award-winning actor with a career in films and television that spans over half a century. In addition to his Oscar and Emmy and several lifetime achievement awards from various film festivals, Robertson has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6801 Hollywood Blvd. He was once married actress Dina Merrill.

Film

He is notable for fine performances in PT 109 (chosen by John F. Kennedy to portray the then-Lt. Kennedy), The Best Man, Charly (an adaptation of Flowers for Algernon for which he won the 1968 Academy Award for Best Actor), Picnic, Autumn Leaves, Too Late the Hero, Three Days of the Condor, Obsession, J. W. Coop and Star 80.

More recently, Robertson appeared as Uncle Ben Parker in the first movie adaptation of Spider-Man, as well as in the sequels Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 3. He was also in the 2004 horror film Riding the Bullet.

Television

.Robertson's television appearances include recurring roles on Hallmark Hall of Fame and Playhouse 90 (in the 1950s), Outlaws, The Twilight Zone, and Batman as the villainous gunfighter Shame (in the 1960s), Falcon Crest (in the 1980s), and most recently, The Lyon's Den. He had starring roles in both the 1960s and 1990s versions of The Outer Limits.

He was awarded an Emmy for his leading role in an 1965 episode from Bob Hope Presents the Chrysler Theatre entitled "The Game."

Innocent player in a Hollywood scandal

In 1977 Robertson learned that his name had been forged on a $10,000 check that had been due to him. He discovered that the forgery had been carried out by Columbia studio head David Begelman, and on reporting it, the result was one of the biggest Hollywood scandals of the 1970's. Robertson was subsequently blacklisted for several years before finally getting back into film in Brainstorm (1983).
0 Replies