maxdancona

Mon 4 Feb, 2019 03:01 pm
What is the ******* morality brigade doing in a thread about Game of Thrones?

Yes, there is sex and torture and killing and rape and war and witchcraft in these books. People who read them read them because they find these stories enjoyable. People who are offended by fictional depictions of these things can stay away.

Lots of people enjoy these books. Deal with it

George

Mon 4 Feb, 2019 03:03 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
. . . I have not finished the last book because of meandering writing.
Yeah, he just seemed to be pulling new characters and scenes out of a hat.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 4 Feb, 2019 03:07 pm
@maxdancona,
Everything shoots over your head doesn't it? It's not about morality, it's about storytelling, and if it's just about putting tits in to boost ratings it's not good storytelling.

Either you genuinely have problems understanding what people are saying or you deliberately misrepresent things just to have something to argue about.

maxdancona

Mon 4 Feb, 2019 04:19 pm
@izzythepush,
A book can have "tits" and good storytelling. I happen to enjoy both.
maxdancona

Mon 4 Feb, 2019 07:10 pm
@maxdancona,
Tom Lehrer wrote:

Stories of tortures
Used by debauchers,
Lurid, licentious, and vile,
Make me smile.
Novels that pander
To my taste for candor
Give me a pleasure sublime.
(let's face it, I love slime.)

All books can be indecent books
Though recent books are bolder,
For filth (I'm glad to say) is in
The mind of the beholder.
When correctly viewed,
Everything is lewd.
(I could tell you things about peter pan,
And the wizard of oz, there's a dirty old man!)

0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 4 Feb, 2019 09:47 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Either you genuinely have problems understanding what people are saying or you deliberately misrepresent things just to have something to argue about.

I vote for number two.
izzythepush

Tue 5 Feb, 2019 01:16 am
@maxdancona,
Like I said, most stuff just shoots over your head but you press on regardless.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 5 Feb, 2019 01:18 am
@Setanta,
I think you're right, I don't think even Max is that thick. Although it seems that stupidity is the defence he's going with.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 5 Mar, 2019 06:48 pm
The trailer’s out.

(Grinning miserably)

The last season of Breaking Bad and more so, after every successive episode, I was just sadder that I was closer to my last moment with a story and characters that’d been important to me. I wish I hadn’t read or watched this trailer.

I’m already I’m mourning.
izzythepush

Wed 6 Mar, 2019 01:23 am
@Lash,
There was a Doctor Who convention in Totton a few weeks back, one of the invited guests was the creature actor who plays the chief white walker. He was there because he also played one of the monsters in a Mat Smith season.

He looks a lot like Patrick Stewart and could easily work as his body double. He was a thoroughly decent bloke, but due to selective filming and only seeing his part of the script he has no idea how the series ends. And even if he did he wouldn't tell me.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Wed 6 Mar, 2019 02:40 am

CANT WAIT..........
izzythepush

Wed 6 Mar, 2019 03:46 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Now that's done maybe Martin might get round to finishing the ******* books.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 6 Mar, 2019 04:28 am
Quote:
The Game of Thrones hype has gone up another gear.

The first full trailer was released on Tuesday - and fans are studying the two-minute video closely for clues on what's coming up in the final season.

One of those is George Alexander, who has watched every episode so far on camera for his reaction YouTube channel.

Here are his five things to look out for when season eight comes out on 15 April - plus some bold predictions for who could be on the Iron Throne by the final episode.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-47465991

Personally I don't think a "superfan's" opinion is more incisive than the rest of us ordinary mortals, but he does have some interesting ideas.
Lash

Thu 7 Mar, 2019 03:06 am
I am worried that everyone will die.

I have this horrific idea that beloved dead will kill beloved living. Thankful Sean Bean’s head was lopped off because I couldn’t bear his twitching blue-eyed corpse advancing on Arya.

But think of all the dead possibilities... Baratheons, where the **** is Yara Greyjoy, Khal Drogo...

izzythepush

Thu 7 Mar, 2019 06:14 am
@Lash,
Khal Drogo is the other side of the ocean.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Thu 7 Mar, 2019 07:25 am
@Lash,
Khal Drogo was cremated so we wont be seeing him again.
Yara is being held prisoner by her uncle Euron.

I just hope they don't kill Arya in the first episode. You would think not but this is Game of Thrones and anythings possible.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 7 Mar, 2019 08:30 am
@izzythepush,
Before I read that link, which I am going to when done here, I will give my projections... I think John and Dany survive with both dragons and they retire to Dragonstone or back to Valeria. I think Arya and Gendry hook up at end and they decide to get married and sit on the throne. I do not see many of the remaining characters surviving the war.

izzythepush

Thu 7 Mar, 2019 10:07 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I am worried that everyone will die.

And they ******* deserve it too. The wall was built 8,000 years ago. Assuming that was the same level of technology as the Roman Empire they've blown it. Hadrian's Wall was built in 128 AD. Since then we've had the Renaissance, the Industrial Revolution, nuclear technology and space exploration.

If the White Walkers came for us we'd nuke the fuckers. Westeros should be 4 times as advanced as us, but they're not.

I blame the maesters for guarding all knowledge and generalising it to the nth degree so there are no doctors, physicists, chemists or engineers, just a load of mediocre maesters.

They brought it on themselves.
lmur

Thu 7 Mar, 2019 03:07 pm
@izzythepush,
Samwell Tarly and the Night King will get romantically involved. Sam dies but not before finishing off the NK with a dragonglass dildo.
eurocelticyankee

Thu 7 Mar, 2019 04:51 pm
@lmur,
When you say finishing off .....
0 Replies