sweet red wine wanted

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 12:37 am
for all you wine connosieurs; I'd like to know of the sweetest red wine that you have tasted, I'm not a wine drinker but I have been offered to taste it and most wines I have tasted aren't sweet enough for my taste; so if you could please tell me about good sweet red wines I'd appreciate it
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 21,107 • Replies: 45
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 06:47 am
Sweet Red Wines
No offense but..ughh..the sweetest?...ptui!

That being said, at this time you're in luck because Georges Duboeuf puts out a specialty wine:

2004 Beaujolais Villages Nouveau, Price: about $11

Around Thanksgiving time this is widely avaialble for around 6 weeks and they call it "Nouveau". It's quite popular with the mainstream public and is categorized as sweet and fruity (low on tannins). Look for this specifically and not the regular every day Beaujolais Villages from G. Duboeuf or anyone else's versions.

There are many red wines that are sweet - like dessert wines. Also, then there's a category of wines called fortified wines. There are also reds like the Concord grape or Manischewitz 20/20, but I'll not comment on those.

Perhaps you should go into a decent wine seller and get a short class on sweet red wines. That always works best.

Good luck and let us all know what you discover.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 07:30 am
Try the Lambrusco. It comes in different varieties, and one of them is sweet, lightly bubbly, and is mainly served chilled. we have it in our ristorante solely in this variety, from Chiarli(pron. Kiahrlih).
Try it, you might like it!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 10:00 am
Lambrusco indeed is sweet, however you need quite a few Aspirin along with it, as sweet wine has tons of sugar in
it.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 10:08 am
The only sweet red "wine" I like is Sangria.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 10:27 am
I'm in danger of a headache from wine whether it is sweet or not.

Artreads -- Does it have to be red? I had a nice sweet white wine last week before dinner-- an Italian Moscato d'Asti. I'm thinking about buying a bottle of it for a potluck this evening.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 10:55 am
Piffka,
same here, I tend to get headaches even from the best
wines.

By the way, Moscato d'Asti is a sweet dessert wine,
you drink after dinner along with different kind of cheeses.
The combination tarty cheeses with sweet wine is just
devine to your taste buds Smile
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 11:23 am
Uh, port. It's not really wine, it's much stronger, but that can be a plus.

One time my brother in law opened a bottle of port, and my mother in law, not realizing what it was, poured herself a huge bowl-glass full of it. I think she slept on the couch that night.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 11:32 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Piffka,
wines.

I knew that was supposed to be an after-dinner wine, but our friends wanted it then... and I happily joined 'em.

I know I've never spent more than $50 for a bottle of wine, and rarely more than $20, so I guess I've never had a really, really good wine. My decision on whether a wine suits me is if the bottle goes quickly. There's a lot of dry red wine that ends up languishing in my kitchen and turning into vinegar or spaghetti sauce.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:48 am
Piffka wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
Piffka,
wines.

I knew that was supposed to be an after-dinner wine, but our friends wanted it then... and I happily joined 'em.

I know I've never spent more than $50 for a bottle of wine, and rarely more than $20, so I guess I've never had a really, really good wine. My decision on whether a wine suits me is if the bottle goes quickly. There's a lot of dry red wine that ends up languishing in my kitchen and turning into vinegar or spaghetti sauce.

Cost does not necessarily equate with quality.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:54 am
I might suggest a Mavrodaphne of Patras (Greek, a bargain) or a late-harvest California Zinfandel if you want to spend a bit more money.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 11:43 am
Artreads....are you with us?
After awhile, as in many online forum discussions, Focus needs to go back to the original thread's author.

So, Artreads...what do you think about all these suggestions? Are you still with us? Is any of this info useful to you. What have you bought for wine and tried drinking so far?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 05:45 pm
DrewDad wrote:

Cost does not necessarily equate with quality.

But there is a lot of bad cheap wine. I know. I've had 'most all of it.

I think I can usually do well for $10-20/ bottle.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 05:48 pm
You can do really well for $6/bottle if you know what to look for.

Right now, look for DeLoach (anything) at Albertsons or Trader Joe's. They went into Chapter 11 and sold their entire inventory to these two retailers. I've been buying the 2000 Estate Zinfandel for $6.99 and the 2001 California Zin for $6.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 07:39 pm
Thanks for the tip, cjhsa. I'll look for DeLoach. I've had some awful luck with cheap wine. As it happens, a new Trader Joe's opened up today (I think) within a few miles of my house. I like that store a lot, but it used to take half an hour or more to get there....down a highway, then down a freeway and into the next county... passing loads of other stores and malls. I was hoping at the opening they'd have some especially good deals.

The Moscato D'asti that I liked at Thanksgiving is called Saracco & imported by Vin Divinos out of Chicago. (Did I already say that?)

I ended up getting a Beaujolais for the potluck. The local store was out of Moscato d'asti. I talked to the wine manager and he said they'd "had a run on it for Thanksgiving." Very Happy

Has some nice Pinot Noir at a dinner on Saturday... wish I could remember what it was.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 01:19 am
Isn't anyone else curious about Artreads wine experiences?
0 Replies

artreads

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 02:26 am
I'd like to thank you all for your input I did try what "ragman" suggested and I not only order one but two bottles of it got it yesterday and I'm sorry to say maybe I have no tastebuds for wine but it was one of the least sweet ones that I've had so far I gave the other bottle to my co-worker and what's left my bother said he'd either drink it or use if for something else, beats me what for but hey at least it will be used it did gave me a headache though.. next in line is the Lambrusco see how that one works out and again thank you all for your two cents
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 10:40 am
ragman(orig) wrote:
Isn't anyone else curious about Artreads wine experiences?

Of course, Ragman, but many, many times a Newbie will come once, post, and never be heard from again. I am gratified that Artreads has decided to show up. Just sorry that the wine wasn't so good. Very Happy

Artreads -- Bummer... two bottles of it, too? Can you take one back?

I noticed that in the shelf below the empty shelves where the Moscato d'
Asti should be, there is a red spumante. Now, I'm not recommending it, but knowing how Asti Spumante is ... a little too effervescent & sweet for me -- maybe this red stuff would be what you are looking for. I wonder if you could try it at a bar?

Most people don't like sweet red wine, I think. I hope you keep telling us about your experiences, and a belated welcome to this forum, Artreads.

(I keep wondering is this name about reading art, or are you in the re-treading tires business? Very Happy)

Did I mention I had a nice Pinot Noir a week or ago? I don't think that variety is considered sweet, but it doesn't (or this one didn't) have that puckery mouthed dry taste as some red wines.

Here's a nice, informative website, starting with the page on Pinot Noir 101 (Please come back, Artreads... we're interested.):

WinePros101
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 10:58 am
Lambrusco will do the trick, trust me. But take a couple
of Aspirin afterwards, a hangover is a sure thing with
Lambrusco.

I'm not into sweet wines either - a Zinfandel could make
me gag, and so far I haven't found a cheap wine yet,
that suits my taste. I also pay for a bottle anywhere from
$10 to $20.

Piffka, Pinot Noir is my choice of redwine. I've had
some bottles of Mondavi 2001 and they were so fruity
and cherry tasting, I went back for more, and with my
luck, they were on sale for around 15 Dollars. http://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/party/dance00.gif
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 11:58 am
Thanks, CJ for the tip. So, it is your favorite? Is it what you'd use for the Gluewein?

<Mondavi 2001... quickly writing this down. I'm going shopping today. Getting ready to skip to the store>

Cjhsa had a recommendation. Hmmm. Where did I write THAT down?

Love those cute little smilies!
0 Replies