Geometry in Art (project help needed!)

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 11:42 pm
I've spent countless hours brooding over this damn project, how geometry is used in art. Shocked

If you could give me some kind of input on how geometry is used in art, that would be grande!

We need to fill 20 min. presentation with a homework assignment and in class activity.

The topics we are already discussing are greek, roman and renaissance architecture, modern architecture (new seattle public library), photography's rule of thirds, tessalations, MC Escher, and perspective in renaissance paintings. Though more information on all these topics and any others would be wonderful (esp. perspective)!

Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,562 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 12:20 am
tealeaves
I'm not a student, but art is mathematical. We love symetry. The perfect measurement of the human body are equal. The most beautiful pictures, images are divisble by three. Music is written in a series of equations. Math is logical and beautiful.
http://www.softsource.com/m_pine.gif
Mandelbrot fractual art
Mathematical Art
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 11:30 am
might be worth looking at Frank Stella (painting)
Donald Judd , David Smith (sculpture) IM Pei,
Mies Van der Rohe (architecture)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 04:43 pm
look at arabian/islamic art - very geometric, repeating interlocking patterns.

link to islamic art

also look at the 'golden mean' or golden rule - proportions in European/Greek classical art based on mathematical formulae

link to site this is one site but there were lots of others - just google 'the golden mean'
0 Replies