Oy, soy! Tofu, that is.

jespah

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 06:38 pm
Okay, so I know I should eat tofu and it's good for me and all, but I can't seem to be able to make it tasty without subverting its health benefits (e. g. anything tastes good when it's breaded and deep-fried).

So tell me, do you have some great tofu recipes?

I'm mainly interested in Asian recipes (although no ginger, please, as my husband doesn't like that spice) but any nationality will do.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,766 • Replies: 16
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 07:18 pm
My favorite is tofu soup.

Ingredients

Two cups or one can chicken broth
Tofu - about a cup chopped into small cubes
! T sesame oil
Sever hand full of baby spinach
Spring Onion about three

Bring broth with sesame oil added to a boil and add chopped tofu. Let simmer for about 10 minutes. Clean spinach and chop spring onions. After ten minutes add the spring onion for about two minutes then add the spinach. Turn off the heat and let stand for a few minutes.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 08:56 pm
Soy is more than tofu! You can buy adamame (soy beans in pods) frozen and boil in salted water. Suck the bean out of the pod - delish! Also, Miso is a fermented soy bean paste used in soups and sauces. It's really very good. You can buy baked tofu with seasoning at Bread and Circus. Silken tofu can be blended with pumpkin/choclate/faux-cream-cheese to make pies. Actually, faux cream cheese and cheese are other ways to eat soy beans. There is also a toasted soy bean 'nut' you can buy in bulk. Ok, you asked for recipes...... hang on.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 08:59 pm
Jes - there is no such thing as good tofu recipes. Shocked

Most of the sensible ones involve doing something, anything to the tofu and then throwing it away, and eating the rest of the ingredients! With chocolate! Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 09:11 pm
Evil or Very Mad Margo - tofu takes on the flavor of anything you add to it.... it's gooood.... really!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 09:34 pm
K - so, if I add the Vegemite to it, I'll get soy Vegemite mush....yecccchhhh!!!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:26 pm
Margo I love tofu it is good food.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:29 pm
Actually, vegemite might make a good marinade for tofu.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:49 pm
My hubby makes a truly rockin' tofu stir-fry -- I'll ask him.

I'm an unwitting expert on tofu since that crunchy housing co-op I seem to be referring to a lot lately was vegetarian, and I was too poor to eat anything but the supplied meals. (We had this point system where everyone had to do something, some people cooked. But I digress.) So, I had tofu about 5 out of 7 days a week for 2+ years. It can be done horribly, it can be done divinely. (Care to guess which I experienced more often? Confused)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:50 pm
Oh, tempeh, too. Not a fan of tempeh.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:56 pm
Tempeh is my least favorite form of soy product.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 11:02 pm
Yeah. Really hard to make it palatable. All too easy to make it styrofoam. (Blech.)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 12:24 pm
Yeah, I'm not a tempeh fan, either.

I was a vegetarian for 15 years; you'd think I'd've learned to cook the stuff, eh?

I like the soup idea; I sometimes cube it into soup and add Chinese vegs. That works out okay, but the cubes of tofu don't take on much of the flavor of the soup (which is weird, because that's the opposite of what tofu is supposed to do).

Used to get stir-fried vegetables and tofu at the Vegetarian Dining Hall in college. Was good, but I get the feeling it was somewhat labor-intensive.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 12:46 pm
All my attempts to make tofu edible without adding unhealthy ingredients to it failed. Absolutely agree with Sozobe:
sozobe wrote:
Yeah. Really hard to make it palatable. All too easy to make it styrofoam.
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 07:34 pm
One of my favourite tofu recipes is to make 'Tofu Paneer', I'm not sure which web site I got the recipe, but the tofu replaces traditional paneer cheese in this recipe.
Finely chop a small onion, and fry with two crushed garlic cloves, a teaspoon of minced ginger (obviously you can exclude this, jespah!), add a teaspoon of ground coriander, a teaspoon of turmeric and a couple of desert spoons of garam masala spice (you can change the quantities according to your taste). Once the onion is soft, add a can of chopped tomatoes, and stir well. Add a block of tofu, chopped into small cubes, and a cup of frozen peas. Simmer for ten minutes or so, and serve with brown rice, yum!

I also enjoy tofu in Chinese cookery. I tend to marinate it in a soy sauce and garlic mix, and then fry it off so that it is not so soft and easily broken. My favourite is to stir fry some green bell pepper, onion and carrot, and then add the fried tofu and a jar of black bean sauce.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 09:51 am
Ah, these are excellent suggestions, thinkzinc! :-D Thank you!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 10:59 am
I don't make it myself, but Thai vegetable curry with tofu is mmmm!
0 Replies