Spring Cleaning Time

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 06:13 pm
Years ago spring cleaning was a ritual in my mother's house. We would go room by room and do the walls, sweep, dust, sort through junk and dispose of it. Each year about this time the urge to clean starts and I am forced to clean for the summer.

Have any of you heard of such a thing and do you continue to do it at you house?

P.S. I have become my mother Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,341 • Replies: 7
No top replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 09:05 pm
Egads, I'll get back to you when I feel the approach of spring.... maybe 2 months from now.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 09:12 pm
and take all the rugs outside, hang them on the line and beat the hell out of them. ah yes, the good old days.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 09:21 pm
lol My parents house (like so many others) had hardwood floors. We had a loooong hallway that went from the bedrooms to the dinning room.

Spring and fall my mother would pull out this antique little buffer and clean all the floors and then use the buffer to apply a think coat of Johnson's paste wax. When I was really small (maybe 3 or 4) she used to make all of us kids (all 8 of us!) stay in the basement family room while the wax dried but at least on eof us always snuck upstairs and she could tell because of the foot prints in the drying wax.

Anyway, one year she just gave up. On a Friday afternoon she bought a big old pack of white cotton socks and Saturday morning she did the floors. After the wx had been sitting for an hour or so she pulled out the socks, made us all put on a pair and then sent us all upstairs to slide up and down the hallway. After that day it sort of became a tradition. The hallway floors always got buffed by lots of little kids feet.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 09:54 pm
I REFUSE TO BECOME MY MOTHER...however, I do get that itch, aint here yet..really..so what if I just cleaned out my kitchen cabinets and refridgerator...they needed it..yeah, thats it. Its the Virgo in me though..really..my mother never did spring cleaning...this is a woman who was always rushed to the hosital due to cleaning the venitian blinds and cutting her hand open, falling over the vacuum <where she left it> in the middle of the night, etc. I think the itch just left her after a while.
Besides, whenver she got upset she cleaned out the cabinets and did all the dishes..I know this cuz I heard all kinds of banging and grumblings coming from that room.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:34 pm
Here in our neck of the woods, we need to clean out our gutters of leaves and sand/mud. Since I will no longer climb ladders (at my age), our 35 year old son did the job. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:37 pm
When we lived up north, I did the seasonal cleaning, Spring and Fall.

Living in Florida I don't know what time of the year it is, so I clean when the house needs it, sometimes whether it needs it or not.

The only thing I do notice is when Easter gets close I get the urge to see flowers on the porch, then I run to Ace Hardware Nursery and buy up all the beautiful flowers, especially geraniums.

Also, there's a huge Dogwood tree (I think it's Dogwood) outside our porch, it becomes laden with blossoms around Easter ... it's absolutely beautiful!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:44 pm
We had some kind of post-Christmas purge impulse, which is a little different than spring cleaning, but have been doing a lot of streamlining, fixing, cleaning type stuff.

I'm with littlek, though, I definitely get a bona fide spring cleaning impulse but so not there yet. There has to be at least some crocuses if not a robin sighting.

fishin', love the socks story! Very Happy
0 Replies