Your favourite movies!

brunt

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 05:52 pm
Sure, why not Mary Poppins?
hebba wrote:
Mary Poppins? Did Brunt include Mary Poppins?
I shiver thinking about it.

This is one of my sentimental, childhood favourites - but seriously, I think this is one of the best children movies. I am a huge fan of animation (in my Top 50 I have 4 animated movies), and "Mary Poppins" is a highlight in the combination of animation and real-life action...

I think it is hard to differ personal favourite movies and "best movies". Can you really be objective about the movies you've seen? I don't think so. There are many movies I've seen more often than a masterpiece like "Andrei Rublev", and I am surely willing to see them again - this doesn't make a movie really a "great" movie, but it is still a favourite movie...

It is almost impossible to reply to every post here - in general I am impressed by the number of responses, and every list is interesting (there are many movies of these lists I still have to see, I'm sure that in one year my Top 50 will look different!). I am glad that all of us accept that there is a cinema before "Star Wars" - I always fear that I am ignorant against the newer movies, so thanks for the support that apparently the cinema of the past was really better than the contemporary cinema.

I hope we will have some interesting discussions about movies in the future...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 08:08 pm
brunt

Totally subjective - the first ones that came into my head:

The Conformist

Day for night

All About Eve

Amacord (sp?)
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 12:50 pm
I am suspicious of anyone who has a lust that is in alphabetical order. It makes me think he copied it from another source!

I have a lot of favorite movies, I couldn't even get the list down to 30, But my all-time favorites are:
The Lady Eve
Lawrence of Arabia
8 1/2
The Third Man
McCabe And Mrs Miller
La Strada
Touch of Evil
The Seven Samurai
0 Replies

dfc-2

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 04:37 pm
suspicious :-)
larry richette wrote:
I am suspicious of anyone who has a lust that is in alphabetical order. It makes me think he copied it from another source!
Razz Well my lust isn't in alphabetical order but my list is because I sorted it in Microsoft Word. I find it impossible to choose a best film, but I do feel capable of listing ten that I think are better than others as favorites so I alphabetized the first ten, likewise the second ten, likewise the next thirty, and finally the last fifty in a top hundred list to designate the different levels of preference. You may presume that all the titles within an alphabetical sequence have the same weight.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 09:46 pm
Well, that makes sense, I suppose dfc. It strikes me as a trifle anal, but who am I to judge?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 12:27 am
Way to welcome him to the site larry, good job. Laughing

Welcome dfc, I'm anal too - I use IMdb My Movies to keep track of different lists of my favorite films - foreign, independent, documentaries, etc. Its easy to set up folders and all you need do is click once to save a title.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 01:06 am
Welcome to A2k dfc-2
0 Replies

dfc-2

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 01:43 am
Thanks for the welcomes
As for being anal. What can I say; I'm a librarian Laughing .
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 10:39 am
dfc-2 - a librarian! Cool! My mom is, too (she's retired). I believe we have a few other librarians around Able2know. Welcome! :-D
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 10:59 am
You're my kind of person. Laughing
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 12:17 pm
Yes, librarians are an asset in every community, including this one.

Welcome! Very Happy
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 12:38 pm
Forgive me for not welcoming you to the site properly! Not only can we use a librarian, perhaps you can elevate the tone of our discourse?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:27 am
I am impressed with many of you who have remembered the great films you have seen, and to be able to list them as you have. I couldn't even come close to doing that. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 11:43 am
And what's wrong with anal? But that's off subject. Sorry. Maybe I'll start my own thread on that.

I'm with c.i., I would be hard pressed to list my favorite movies, especially produced before 1980. It's not that I wouldn't like to do it, but I don't have the time. If I did, I know they would not be alphabetized, but there's no reason why establishing order isn't worthwhile and needed.

Welcome dfc-2. I hope to hear more from you.

Off the top of my head I think of:

Cider House Rules
Lone Star
The Moderns
Muriel's Wedding
Bagdad Cafe
The Committments
The Bad Lieutenant
Fight Club
The Piano (mostly because of Harvey Keitel's bum)

and lately:
The Pianist
The Silent American.........

I'm sure I've left out a few important ones.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 11:47 am
That title should get some interesting responses, Lola. Very Happy
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 11:59 am
Yes, macsm, and we can see how many of them are anal responses. Laughing
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 12:37 pm
Lola, I think you mean The QUIET American, not The Silent American, don't you???
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 12:54 pm
Look, there's one now!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 01:08 pm
Here's Ebert and Roeper's review of the Quiet American. http://movies.go.com/movies/Q/quietamericanthe_2001/

Will this movie work okay at home on t.v.?
c.i.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 02:03 pm
"The Quiet American" would work OK on tv; though something will be lost in appreciating the ambience that has been so skillfully created...
0 Replies