Alteris Carbon Copy Program

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 08:24 am
Anyone know anything about this? Is it for remote usage only or does it monitor computer usage? Curious since the icon appeared on my computer a few days ago and is now not there anymore. No one remotely accessed my computer to the best of my knowledge. Any info on this program would be great. Confused Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,137 • Replies: 4
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 02:13 pm
Carbon Copy was originally a Compaq product, bundled as "Compaq Carbon Copy 32" with their consumer "Presario" machines to facillitate Compaq On-Line Tech Support. It was part of Compaq's "Built In Technician", which mostly was proprietary bloatware, something Compaq was/is famous for. When required, the end user would be advised by a phone tech support rep to activate the app at their end, hang up, and a Compaq Tech Support rep would "call" the user's computer. As far as I know, only machines shipped with operating systems through Win 98 had the app, but I could be wrong about that. It no longer is Compaq-supported, and on the older Compaq machines with the app pre-installed, it won't work, as the support center dedicated to it no longer exists. Carbon Copy was sold to Alteris 1n 2001, I think, and became a standalone product. Does anyone else have physical access to your machine? A bug in Carbon Copy allows System Level access to files and programs ... which means anyone with the intent could maneuver around and manipulate your system with Administrator privileges. Read more Here
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 02:30 pm
just my boss.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 02:58 pm
Well, if its actually his/The Company's computer, as long as a suitable privacy advisory is company policy, there's prolly not much you can do other than be appropriately discrete on the company time and machine.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 07:56 am
Thanks! I was just wondering if I should be looking for another job :wink:
0 Replies