Does the cessation of eating meat lead to gentler temperaments or vice versa?

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 12:37 pm
This question grew out of the thread,
"Eating meat; did it give higher intelligence?"

"It is my view that the vegetarian manner of living, by its purely physical effect on the human temperament, would most beneficially influence the lot of mankind."
Albert Einstein

Or is Einstein putting the cart before the horse? Do people with gentler temperaments tend to restrain from eating meat? Or does eating meat have a negative effect on temperament?

Or does diet have nothing at all to do with temperament?

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 01:11 pm
Guess he thinks that the human temperament is affected when humans eat meat.

I think it's when they do drugs.

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 02:28 pm
Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 02:37 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian.

Idi Amin was said to be a cannibal.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 03:29 pm
@hightor,
Yes, Hitler became a vegetarian around 1937 or 38, and he voiced concern over the mistreatment of animals.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 04:30 pm
@coluber2001,
That's weird to me, I didn't know that, but I suppose it's not unbelievable.
coluber2001

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 04:50 pm
@ossobucotemp,
So I guess one could say his temperament was gentle concerning animals. That his attitude towards animals caused his vegetarianism, not the other way around.

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 05:00 pm
@coluber2001,
That is my guess, but who knows, maybe he had terrible teeth or liked the color green, especially peas.

As you will figure out, I'm not familiar with his everyday ways except for the famous ones.
coluber2001

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 05:17 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Well I don't know anything about Hitler. I just looked it up to see if he was indeed a vegetarian. Apparently he had strong views concerning animals and their mistreatment that did not extend to people.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 05:31 pm
@coluber2001,
and he differentiated particular people.

We know all this, how rabid people in power and some out of power can be, and should be able to recognize it by now. In a way, a lot of us are pollyannas, or pollyandrews, being hopeful.

coluber2001

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 06:07 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Yeah, the Eugenics movement actually started in the United States , I believe. But the Germans loved it. Certain people were slated for extermination. Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, communists, and slavs, and anybody who disagreed . Every Russian was to be exterminated or sterilized and employed as slave labor until their deaths. It wasn't just the Jews. They just made the biggest fuss about it. About 25 million Russians lost their lives. And that was just the beginning.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 06:22 pm
@coluber2001,
I know most of that from my reading, but I don't have a photo memory. It's more like one of those zip stream apparatuses.
coluber2001

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 06:57 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Still I wonder if Einstein was right or wrong. Regardless he was an interesting character. He really loved music, and he said he daydreamed in music and reflected on his life in musical terms. He said if he hadn't been a physicist he would have been a musician. The world may have missed out on that. It really needs composers. If a scientist never lived, eventually his discoveries will be discovered by somebody else. But if a composer never lives, that music will never live.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 07:11 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I have other photo memories, described on a2k before.
0 Replies

tibbleinparadise

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 07:53 pm
@coluber2001,
I didn't eat meat for a short period and the only big change I noticed was my guts were a lot happier.
coluber2001

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 08:29 pm
@tibbleinparadise,
A happy gut is important. I spent many years with an unhappy gut and finally discovered probiotics. Now my gut is happier than it's ever been.
chai2

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 08:55 pm
@coluber2001,
I can only speak from my own personal experience.

I've been eating more meat (meat with a lot of fat) than I usually would for the last 8 months, and my temperment is more peaceful, and I'm more content in general.

However, I don't believe this comes from consuming more meat per se, but more fat, and in particular no carbs from grains, legumes and sugars.

I'm not gluten intolerant, but I have discovered that grains were very inflamatory for me.

My gut is happier too due to absence of almost all carbs.
coluber2001

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 09:33 pm
@chai2,
I understand. Blood sugar fluctuations can wreak havoc to your health. I'm someone familiar with your health issues and your battle to control your blood sugar. One thing I remember you saying is that once your cells become insulin resistant, that never changes. I never realized that. Is that true?
chai2

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2017 01:10 pm
@coluber2001,
I find your reply interesting on multiple levels.

For instance using words like "battle" that indicate I'm somehow in a state of pushing/forcing/challenging myself to do something incredibly hard and or unappealing.

There's also this assumption in many cases it seems, that it involves "battling" cravings, having to make careful plans to even have lunch with friends. This in order not to be swept away by this uncontrolable force that would make strong men weep. I have actually had friends fret over "helping" me by going down a list of restaurants, and for each choice, saying things like "Oh, no you CAN'T eat this, or you CAN'T eat that. No one seems to notice I don't ever say things like I "can't" (fill in the blank), or indicate in anyway I'm missing out on anything. It's not at all that I "can't" have xyz, I don't Want xyz. I don't perceive certain items as food anymore, no more than I would think that a doorknob is something to eat.

If I was in a long time habit of drinking gin and tonic, and then stopped that and drank plain water instead, no one would say "She's battling with the fact she can't drink tonic water"

I don't have any health issues in regards to my blood glucose. It's absolutley normal, and will remain that way into the foreseeable future.

I did have a problem with that at one point in time, but it's been resolved because I no longer eat the things that made that happen. I didn't have fluctuating blood glucose, never did. I had higher than healthy blood glucose, including dawn effect, which all rolled into one spelled pre-diabetes.

My pancreas was overworked, and at least some of the beta cells that produce insulin had died off.
Now my pancreas has a leisurely life and is not overworked. Part of that is hopefully allowing it to produce new beta cells.

If I went back to eating carbs, including bread, most fruits, root vegetables, I'm sure not only would my blood glucose levels rise, but the mood/emotional improvements and contentment would abate also.

Grains are inflammatory. Inflammation causes many physical and emotional negatives.

I'm not inflamed anymore.

So why would I want to go back?

Getting back to the original question though, I don't think, in isolation, eating meat prevents or causes a gentler temperment. I think it must be considered with other factors such as your complete diet, exercise, mental status, etc.

I eat a lot of fat. It probably has a lot to do with my overall satisfaction. As long as I don't add the carbs, it's fine, as far as my health. By eating a LOT of fat, but very little carbs, all my blood work has either stayed the same or improved, weight has drifted off 2 or 3 pounds a month, among other benefits.

An example I thought of far as fat is that it's like plastic explosives. Harmless in an of itself, unless it's attached to a blasting cap. That blasting cap is grain. We evolved to eat as much fat as we could, but we did not evolve to eat copies amounts of grain. The fact that 1/2 of us now have prediabetes currently enhances my belief.

If a person stopped eating meat and instead subsisted on a diet of microwave popcorn, 'Lil Debbie snak cakes and gin, I don't think anyone would be surprised if their temperments grew less gentle.

So, your question in isolation cannot be answered.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2017 07:40 am
I don't think eating meat makes a blind bit of difference. Vegan animal rights agitators have been responsible for some really nasty crimes.

Some people just have a propensity for violence.