What does "moderate the correlation" mean?

u17cqiu

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2017 09:04 am
I am reading through a large amount of dense research and the brain is getting a little fuzzy; I just want to make sure I understand this recurring phrase correctly.

If something "moderates the correlation" -- that means it has a significant effect, right? Or could it mean it minimizes or weakens the correlation?

For example: a student's attitude toward reading is correlated to achievement in reading (better attitude --> higher achievement). If "gender differences moderate the correlation" -- what does that mean exactly? Does it mean, for example, the correlation differs significantly if analyzed by gender? (e.g. correlation is significant for total population, but is significantly stronger for one gender?) Could it mean the variables are NOT correlated for one gender, but strongly correlated for the other?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 546 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Stats fan

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2017 09:46 am
@u17cqiu,
If gender moderates the correlation between reading attitude and achievement, it means that the correlation between reading attitude and achievement is different for men than for women. For example, it could mean that the correlation between reading attitude and achievement is only significant for one gender and not for the other, it could also mean that the correlation is just a bit stronger for one gender than for the other gender, it could mean that the correlation is negative for one gender and positive for the other gender, etc. Further data inspection would be needed in order to see exactly how gender moderates the correlation.
0 Replies