Sports - or simply updated Gladitorial Combat.

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 06:19 pm
After watching the multiple brawls in multiple leagues this year - I am coming to the conclusion that the majority of Sports fans really get off on watching ignorant idiots fight and talk trash.

Why else would we pay (for the greater part) barely educated morons millions of dollars to kick the crap out of each other (on the court or field or off) and venerate them like they are Gods in all aspect of thier life.

I think we should stop hiding what America really wants - ultimate fighting challenge - with footballs (or baseballs, or basketballs etc)

The vast majority of the NBA players come from poor backgrounds who, despite thier millions, cannot leave that life behind them. I think for the most part the fans love it. Do you think Piston and Pacer jersey sales went down this week? Nope. Do you think that slugger didn't promote his rap album to the tune of millions of more dollars?

Nearly every week we see a bench clearer or some other type of stupid altercation in baseball (like a 70+ year old man get clothelined). We breed that mentality and we enjoy it.

Nearly every game there is blood spilled on purpose in hockey. Most hockey players love the fights and really are only there to see them.

Nearly once a month there are deaths in other countries during soccer matches. And that is in the stands - we wont talk about the shooting of goalies if they let one by in a close match.

Now, I am all for competition - I was a Marine who likes rough play and I was on a national championship paintball team and have been playing for 16 years. I am not some granola eating hippy - but I am not seeing much positive coming out of todays sports but bad behavior - zero sum games and HORRIBLE roll models.

The good apples seem to be in the majority these days. High school sports (at least in Texas) seem to be run by obsessive compulsive anger mongers that teach little of integrity - but more of the end jutifies the means. Not to mention the damage it does to a growing adolescent body. I just see little reason to hand down the macro sports of America to my son.

Reactions? Am I just tunnel visioning?

TTF
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 701 • Replies: 2
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 12:05 am
Sure there's an element of gladiatorial blood lust in some sports, but you are overreacting a little.

Not much thuggery in tennis or golf - and like you said, the soccer deaths are in the crowd. No punch ups in the cricket (a billion Indians can't be wrong).

So... in your respect to your conclusion I'd disagree that it's the majority of sports fans, more like an unhealthy minority.

However I would agree with the influence of sociocultural factors. When a mother shoots someone else's daughter so her daughter can be a cheerleader I think it's time for a society to take a good hard look at itself.

Role models also play a part - but there has to be an interest in the sport before there's an interest in the players so good role models can have just as much influence.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 01:29 pm
"Give them bread and Circuses."
"Control the coinage and the Courts, and let the rabble have the rest."

The more things change, the more they stay the same...
0 Replies