Richard Serra sculpture, "Vortex." Ft. Worth.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 11:49 am
Here's a picture of the Tilted Arc in Foley Plaza.
(I was wrong, it's 120 feet long, not 160) from www.arts.arizona.edu website.

http://www.arts.arizona.edu/are476/files/tilted_arc-ph.htm

I looked up Tilted Arc in google and found a lot of writing about it, very interesting to me. I have to get going to work, will read them later on.

If you're interested, look
Tilted Arc Foley Plaza Richard Serra
up on google, and check the link a few links down the page, from the arts.arizona.edu site. That piece discusses the three parties involved in such a situation, the artist, the government funder, and the public.
0 Replies

llebl15

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 12:30 am
@coluber2001,
While it IS quite a nice sculture to behold and walk through, I would not recommend to others banging on the inside walls of a multi-million dollar piece. Stamping feet and screaming is one thing, but it would stand the test of time easier if you'd refrain from beating on it. The aesthetic of a piece such as this one unfortunately all too often become blocked by ugly barracades and ropes to keep the ignorant and careless from doing just what you've described in your write-out.
dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 01:04 am
@coluber2001,
Wow!!!!!
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 01:27 pm
@llebl15,
Yeah! I suppose I've done irreparable damage to the thing, and may have shortened its life by a few seconds, but I see it as an interactive sculpture, something like an enormous bell you would walk into. It would be a lot to ask for someone to not strike it to hear it ring.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 01:39 pm
@coluber2001,
Isn't corten steel pretty sturdy? (guessing that's what it is).

0 Replies