Printmaking and the Sly moves

Portal Star

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 09:30 am
benconservato wrote:
it is amazing isn't it?
I try not to eat food with too may preservatives and I do a form of art making that requires me to use nitro, asphaultum, kerosene (the acid we use is a salt, so not so bad, don't use the pine resin either)...

I am sure I am not the only one who thinks constantly about it.

actually, I try to be blisfully unaware. I'm just hoping forgetting gloves often and eating muffins over my zinc plate won't bite me in the neck, er brain.

I've been trying to work up the courage to look at our material data safety book. I'm afraid that if I do I'll never print again.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 09:39 am
It's still debatable whether Rembrandt succumbed to the lead in the old paints or the chemicals in the etching process. You're in good company.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 12:54 pm
I was horrified the first time I went to Italy to learn multi-plate etching and there was the Italian, who looked after the studio, mixing the acid and stuff with a cigarette hanging nonchalantly from his lips.

Old printmaking teacher at Art School (where the only real evil thing was the resin box...) told me to drink milk; it worked in helping soak up any queazy feelings going on from chemicals.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 01:24 pm
Take a lot of milk thistle, one of the herbs that is backed up by enough research that doctors will endorse its use. It helps detoxify the liver and I take it in an aloe juice Naturade makes as well as as capsules. Also good drinkers! Drunk Mr. Green Very Happy
0 Replies