The Democrat Party 2017

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 09:01 am
At one time, the Democrats accepted without question any groups that afforded them votes. It was pretty much like that until, who was it, Nixon, came up with the "southern strategy for Republicans." What was and what is are separate items.
Lash

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 09:05 am
@edgarblythe,
I know, also, that Johnson's public Civil Rights commitment saw an exodus of traditional Dems. Reagan attracted Democrats.

I'd just not known of this convention.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 10:08 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
At one time, the Democrats accepted without question any groups that afforded them votes.

What do you mean "At one time"?? When have they ever been different from that???
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 10:56 am
@gungasnake,
Have you been watching the news. They don't want overt Nazi votes.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2017 09:31 pm
Something quite interesting is happening in Saudi Arabia today. Eleven Saudi princes are detained. One of them, a generous funder of the Clinton Money Laundering Foundation.

Pertinent connection? Mayhap. You can depend on your intrepid reporter to stay with the story until the ******* cows come home.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/04/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-waleed-bin-talal.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2015/09/29/the-mystery-of-hillarys-missing-millions/amp/

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2017 05:56 am
Unfortunately for me, since I watched major news outlets neglect to report major news stories and now have very little faith in any of them to report honestly—and since I now realize peripheral media outlets may be considered peripheral due primarily to the bias / corrupt agenda if the accusers, I don’t really trust any of them without reservation.

THAT being said...

Hillary and company may be getting their comeuppance. Finally.

The SA story does seem to be connected.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-11-04/shocking-purge-saudi-king-arrests-billionaire-prince-bin-talal-others-anti-money-lau

Not conclusive by any stretch, but following the money, so to speak.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2017 06:06 am
Huff Post connects Tony Podesta (Saudi bundler), John Podesta (Hillary henchman) and billionaire Saudis. What pisses me off is this was ok until yesterday. In the D controlled White House, media, FBI, CIA, nobody on the D side is ever accountable.

Read about it.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/11779826?ncid=engmodushpmg00000004

If I told you that Democratic Party lobbyist Tony Podesta, whose brother John Podesta chairs Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign, is a registered foreign agent on the Saudi government’s payroll, you’d probably think I was a Trump-thumping, conspiratorial nutcase. But it’s true.

The lobby firm created by both Tony and John Podesta in 1988 receives $140,000 a month from the Saudi government, a government that beheads nonviolent dissidents, uses torture to extract forced confessions, doesn’t allow women to drive, and bombs schools, hospitals and residential neighborhoods in neighboring Yemen.

The Podesta Group’s March 2016 filing, required under the Foreign Agents Registration Act of 1938, shows that Tony Podesta himself oversees the Saudi account. At the same time, Tony Podesta is also a top campaign contributor and bundler for Hillary Clinton. So while one brother runs the campaign, the other brother funds it with earnings that come, in part, from the Saudis.

John and Tony Podesta have been heavyweights in DC insider politics for decades. John Podesta served as President Bill Clinton’s chief of staff, founded the influential DC think tank Center for American Progress (which regularly touts Saudi “reforms”), and was counselor to President Obama. Tony Podesta was dubbed by the New York Times as “one of Washington’s biggest players“ whose clients “are going to get a blueprint for how to succeed in official Washington.”

The brothers seem to have no problem mixing their roles into the same pot. Tony Podesta held a Clinton campaign fundraiser at his home featuring gourmet Italian food cooked by himself and his brother, the campaign chairman. The fundraiser, by the way, came just days after Tony Podesta filed his Saudi contract with the Justice Department, a contract that included an initial “project fee” payment of $200,000.

The Saudis hired the Podesta Group in 2015 because it was getting hammered in the press over civilian casualties from its airstrikes in Yemen and its crackdown on political dissidents at home, including sentencing blogger Raif Badawi to ten years in prison and 1,000 lashes for “insulting Islam.” Since then, Tony Podesta’s fingerprints have been all over Saudi Arabia’s advocacy efforts in Washington DC. When Saudi Arabia executed the prominent nonviolent Shia dissident Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr, causing protests throughout the Shia world and inflaming sectarian divisions, The New York Times noted that the Podesta Group provided the newspaper with a Saudi commentator who defended the execution.

The Podesta-Clinton-Saudi connection should be seen in light of the recent media exposes revealing the taudry pay-to-play nature of the Clinton Foundation. Top on the list of foreign donors to the foundation is Saudi Arabia, which contributed between $10 million and $25 million.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 05:28 am
This is brilliant! For over a decade, I’ve been hoping this would happen one day.

I don’t know what kind of Democrats these teachers may be once in office, but citizens breaking up the elitist, detached incumbent stranglehold on this country is a great step forward out of this morass—if they don’t sell out, too.

wooooohoooooo!!!!! Second only to the magnificent arrival of a truth-teller like Bernie in the national stage—this is the most hopeful thing that’s happened in American politics in my lifetime. Citizens fighting to replace the ruling class. I hope it works because pitchforks is Plan B.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5ac4f862e4b063ce2e582cd4/amp?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000016&section=politics&__twitter_impression=true

Andrew Bailey had toyed with the idea of running for public office in Kentucky for years.

A teacher at Fairdale High School in Louisville, Bailey figured he’d start small: maybe a seat on the Board of Education for Jefferson County Public Schools, the state’s largest school district, or perhaps a spot on Louisville’s Metro Council.

But Bailey never took the next step.

Then, last Thursday, the Kentucky Legislature passed a controversial bill making sweeping changes to the public pension system that guarantees teachers’ retirement plans. After months of teacher opposition, Republicans tucked the changes ― which included the conversion of pensions into 401(k)-style plans for new hires ― into a bill that had previously dealt with wastewater issues and passed the legislation mere hours later.

The move sparked outrage among educators, who staged a quasi-strike that forced school closures in at least 25 districts across Kentucky last Friday. Thousands marched on the state Capitol in Frankfort on Monday morning.

And Andrew Bailey finally launched that political career he’d long considered.

On Monday, Bailey filed paperwork with Kentucky’s Secretary of State to run for the state Senate seat held by Sen. Dan Seum, a Republican who had voted for the pension overhaul on Thursday night.

The pension legislation “was the catalyst that made me take that jump,” Bailey told HuffPost. “I’d never thought about running at the state Senate level. But you gotta go big or go home. It’s a chance to let them know there are political consequences.”
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2018 05:33 am
Con’t. from the previous story:

Bailey wasn’t alone: Across the state, teachers are seeking public office in numbers unprecedented in modern Kentucky history, political observers say. By the end of January, as the battle over their pensions intensified, more than 25 teachers had filed to run for office, with most of them running as Democrats.

Controversy over how the pension changes were pushed through has only exacerbated that phenomenon. In the days after the Thursday vote, three other Kentucky teachers joined Bailey in declaring their intent to run for state House and Senate seats held by Republicans who supported the pension changes.

—————————————
Revolution, Part Two!!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 22 May, 2018 08:20 pm
Progressives are making a good showing

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/22/politics/georgia-governor-race-stacey-abrams/index.html

The progressive beat the establishment Democrat. Again.

Our Revolution sent me a couple of funny, rambling emails asking me to vote and send $3. I guess I need to tell them my address change.

Way to go, correct Stacey. (She ran against the incorrect Stacey.)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 23 May, 2018 04:58 am
Lisa Ring was elected to a Georgia Congressional seat!! A Bernie bro!! I think the shift we’re seeing bodes very well for a deep and abiding split in the old D party, and a move away from conservative politics.

I’d love to see the pharmaceutical industry slapped down in this country—and the politicians who have been propping it up on the backs of the working people in this country.

Let the Revolution march on.
revelette1

Reply Wed 23 May, 2018 09:54 am
@Lash,
What is your opinion on Abrams? Is she good enough, or come up lacking in some way? Aren't you proud of her as well those who are "Bernie bros?"
Lash

Reply Wed 23 May, 2018 09:59 am
@revelette1,
Scroll up.
revelette1

Reply Wed 23 May, 2018 10:10 am
@Lash,
I don't look underneath them all. Anyway, she is supported by both Clinton and Bernie Sanders according the link you left. She does not seem divisive.
Lash

Reply Wed 23 May, 2018 10:14 am
@revelette1,
Progressives aren’t divisive. They want to help average people by reducing healthcare, protecting regulatory oversight so Wall Street can’t ruin the lives of rank and file Americans, and attack the ability for Congress to sell us out with bribes.

What is divisive is fighting against that effort.

Abrams is awesome, so far.
0 Replies