i got served now what?

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 07:04 pm
i got served an eviction notice for paying my rent one day late...i already feel horrible about it so please no rude answers...i am a responsible single mother i am pregnant with my second baby and i was put on bedrest in the hospital so i couldnt pay rent i do not have family that couldve helped me...if i go to court will they charge me more than i already owe or is it possible that they drop charges ...ive never been late on my payments its the first time

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 07:05 pm
@jeanettem90,
I never heard of an eviction solely for being one day late, in the USA. Are you certain that's the only reason?
Rockhead

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 07:08 pm
@jeanettem90,
what does the fine print say?

most notices are a means to obtain funds.

If you are current, it should go away.

call your lanlord and ask what's up...
0 Replies

jeanettem90

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 07:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
ok what happened is that they gave me till the 23rd of last month but i was in the hospital so i paid the 24th
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 07:42 pm
So the rent was due of Feb 1st (?). They gave you until Feb 23rd and you paid them on the 24th. Is that correct? Did you pay them the rent due on March 1st for March?
I am trying to understand the time-line here.
jeanettem90

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 07:53 pm
@realjohnboy,
yes correct and no i havent paid last month or this month because they said they will accept no payments from me until i settle the legal terms i have to go to court tomorrow but she said i would be risking paying more if i go into court if i dont go in they will stop the eviction for 800 dollars but obviously i dont have that money but she said that if i go in that they will charge me that plus attorney fees and court fees how likely is it that i wont get charged?...or at least payments...becuase of my condition...btw i was put on full bedrest becuase of preterm labor
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 08:13 pm
well, you weren't one day late then, you were 24 days late.

they gave you a chance, and you were late again.

you're pregnant with your 2nd child. I have to assume there's a father around somewhere.

try to stay with him, or his family.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 09:38 pm
@jeanettem90,
A couple years ago I was hospitalized for 12 days on an emergency basis, during which came the first of the month when the rent was due. I did not have nearby family that could have helped me with it either, so after surgery I called my landlord from my hospital bed, told them what was up and asked for an extension on the due date. It was given to me, but in the meantime, I was able to call my bank and have an electronic check mailed to my landlord before the original due date.

It sounds like an effort to communicate the circumstances with the landlord, and some proactive effort on your part, might have prevented this snowballing into a legal issue for you.

If you let us know which state you are in, one of the many attorneys here can probably give you some informative links specific to evictions in your state.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 09:44 pm
when my daughter was born I ended up being 2 months behind on rent because of constant infections that kept me in and out of the hospital.

BUT

i always........always.........ALWAYS told my landlord. Everything. Even things they didnt need to know.
i went so far as to invite them over so that they could see that I could not walk..etc..etc. It was a major company too, not just a regular person.

I had to pay late fees but because they saw what was going on, and I was always honest, I was able to pay one fee every month instead of all of them together. It took me 4 months to pay everything off but talking made all the difference.

Im going to say that the next time you end up in something like this? Dont be embarrassed to call and talk to them . Always tell them what is going on. They are people too who pay rent and bills. They have sudden medical emergencies and sickness that keep them away from work. Every person on the planet has experienced a money issue of one kind or another.

being embarrassed or unwilling to talk will get you into hot water quickly. They dont know what is going on!.
They dont WANT to have to draw up a new lease, clean out an apartment or start everything all over Smile so just keep landlords in the loop. Always.
0 Replies